Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 3,755 Words
  • 1,432 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Long Road To... - 9. Types of Wounds

A loud clanging woke us. We had enough experience with sounds like that to know there was trouble, big trouble. Without thinking, we threw on our armor and rushed out into the common room then into the town square bright with torches.

A messenger announced to all of the people assembled that a neighboring village was under siege and sent word for reinforcements to repel the invaders until help would arrive. We were to leave with all possible men immediately.

Our decision was instant. I heard Thorn and Machaeon telling Kjartanei he was still too sick and from the looks of him, I agreed. I tugged at Joachim.

“Watch Kjartanei.”

“I want to come.”

“Not ready.”

“Talon is right,” added Thorn putting his hand on Joachim’s shoulder. “You should stay. Help Mach with Kjartanei.”

“Actually, I am going with. I will be more help there right now. All Kjartanei needs is a rest and a friend.” Machaeon said with gentle resolve.

After sending Kjartanei and Joachim, guided by Machaeon, back to the inn, we walked over to the men waiting by the gates. They were a mix of farmers, fishermen and un-trained soldiers. Each seemed eager and ready. Looking at some of the weapons and armor, some looked more ready than others.

The first cart of men was through the gates and ours began to move forward when Machaeon jumped in behind us. I eyed the satchel of supplies along with the small shield and short sword he carried.

“What’d you think? That I didn’t know how to defend myself?” He laughed and Thorn joined in.

The ride was fast and bumpy. The first rays of the sun showed the smoking town that we hurtled toward. I could see the roof of a building on fire, but the stockade seemed intact. The invading men were concentrated on a lower section and it looked as though they had finally managed to get it aflame.

Our horses came to a halt, we jumped off and began across the pasture. I feared that our enemies would see us as a bunch of peasants and easy targets. I had Thorn near me at the front clanking in full battle armor to dissuade them from believing we were. Some of the others with armor filtered to the front with us. The soldiers abandoned the wall and began to advance in our direction.

As we got closer, I assessed them better. I had seen ones like them before. They were a ragtag bunch, counting on numbers and not skill. They targeted this village because it was small and seemingly isolated. They wanted a quick sack so they could grab what they could and high tail it out. Too bad for them that the stockade fence slowed them down this long. Although this type of thing was never easy, I didn’t think this would be too bad.

They proceeded to come together and walk towards our front line.

I turned to look at Thorn and realized that not only were we in the front, we were the front. He smiled, laughed at me, and shrugged. I raised my hand and halted our progress. The raiders slowed almost to a stop for a moment before continuing towards us.

We waited, and as I had hoped, someone in the town used their head and began quietly filing men out of the gates and behind the enemy.

It was time.

I raised my sword and gave a large bellowing cry. The raiders stopped dead but we charged them from the front and the rear.

Yes, numbers were on their side but now they were off balance and trapped and desperate.

Thorn, myself and the few others heavily armed met the front ranks of the invaders head on in the center. We began to slash our way though. The invaders were surprised and the back ranks turned tail and ran straight into the villagers behind them.

A new alarm cry sounded and the invaders began to fight themselves sideways weakening the thinning center and causing more panic among them. Although the progress was slow, we hacked our way into the fray deeper and farther. The enemy was weakening.

Blood trickled across my arm. More ran down my leg. I was wondering what to do when we met the army of villagers at the rear. We did not have enough men to fight two fronts and the surprise was wearing off.

They would regroup.

The sun flickered and I chanced a glance. A large black stag was advancing over the low hill with the sun behind it. It was enormous, just like the one I killed in the forest yesterday. It flashed against the sun again raising its antlers high. The hill at its feet began to move. Like a shadow, the earth grew bumps and writhed. Suddenly the sun shimmered again and I saw the black stag reform into an advancing horse with rider flashing in the rising light and with him, an army visibly running down the hillside. The man on the horse was shouting as the men ran past him and began to cut apart the invaders on that side.

I was suddenly knocked off my feet, not with any weapon but with the mass of fleeing invaders. I felt myself being trampled on until I felt a body fall on top of me, then another.

I suddenly wondered where Thorn was and if he was safe and if he would be able to recognize me. Someone else fell over my legs. I could not move much. I closed my eyes. It was an easy thing to do. The sounds of metal and screams echoed above me. I was too old for this.

I heard the sounds change and opened my eyes. The battle had moved, I could feel it in the ground. The sounds were different and the battle had shifted. Men ran past but did not stop. There would be no one in the way to move now. With all my might I shoved something or someone off my legs and began the tedious roll into my side in my armor and under the weight of at least one other. With a few more shoves weight fell off my helmet and shoulders and I could finish rolling on to my chest and push myself up on my knees to dislodge my last burden.

I finally was able to stand, wobbly but upright. It looked as though I was in the middle of a pile of horror. The domino of my falling created a sort of mound that had fallen over themselves and were picked off easily. Earth Father had been with me. I had not been finished off as well. I stood alone in the middle and could see the remains of the battle and its aftermath.

The gates were open and the women and boys were out. They scavenged among the field looking for the alive, wounded, dead, friends, and valuables.

I worked my way towards the gates. As I approached I could see the black horse, without its rider, tethered to the wall. It was as good a place as any for a rest. I sat down and removed my helmet and a few other metal guards. An old woman approached and looked me over. She called over her shoulder and a boy ran over with water. I drank greedily. The boy left and no one else bothered.

I looked out and wondered where Thorn was. I didn’t see him. The last I knew he had been next to me. Concern flooded my body and I ran out to the place where I thought I had fallen. I found the place. I didn’t see him, but I did not know if I was even in the same spot anymore. I looked around myself.

Machaeon.

I could see Machaeon leaning over a body doing something. I ran towards him only slowing when I saw that he was not with Thorn but another man. He nodded when he saw me and stood up. Blood was splashed across his chest.

“Are you alright?”

“Thorn?”

He looked around as if he thought he would be beside him. “I haven‘t seen him. Could use his hands out here.”

He looked directly into my face and caught something in my grimace. “I would take a look farther into the field.” He stopped himself and then quickly added, “He is most likely attending to the men who chased all the way to the edge of the woods.” He clapped me on the shoulder and bent once again to attend the man on the ground.

The sun was high as I continued my search. The bodies were slowly being put in piles for burning or dragged back toward the village for burial. Nothing. No Thorn. There was nothing to do but head back to the gates and watch for him there. He would be either on his feet walking or being dragged past. I shuddered inside.

The horse was gone, along with my helmet and the scraps of armor I had removed. I had been stupid again, but I could get more elsewhere. I sat down and watched the ins and outs. Nothing. Only, the peasants working on the ass end of a battle.

I caught sight of the boy who had brought me water and waved him over. I drank again and looked at him. “My helmet?”

He looked afraid and shook his head. He was lying, too afraid to be truthful.

“Boy…” I deepened my voice and looked him in the eye. “Point the way.”

He slowly pointed inside and to the large central building.

“Thanks. Watch for another. One like me,” I flipped him a coin.

The boy suddenly smiled at me and nodded before scampering away. I set my mind to my possessions. I trudged into the village both eager to get out of the sun and anxious over who had my gear.

The doors were open and I could hear the moans and cries of men inside. I poked my head inside and into the world of pain and suffering. I had seen far worse before. Men attended to the wounded. I passed through not recognizing anyone.

A man cried out from my side and his friend calmed him. I was suddenly seized from behind.

“I couldn’t find you!” Thorn spun me around.

I clasped Thorn’s shoulders.

“Here.” He handed me my helmet and guards. “Don’t scare me like that again.”

I smiled.

He looked around then back at me. With a light touch he wrapped my arm and stitched my leg. “I’ve got work to do.” Without another world he went to the man who had cried out.

I walked outside and found a place in the shade to doze.

~ ~ ~

I woke up to Thorn sitting beside me. I gestured to the building with the wounded.

“Better. The worst is over with. Mach is in there now, along with an elder. You seem to be ok though.” He wiped my face with his sleeve and looked at me intently then grinned. “It was real good to find you…”

He was interrupted by the boy from the gate who ran over to us. It was obvious he was upset. He began tugging at Thorn’s arm.

“What’s wrong? “

The boy did not respond except to pull harder.

“You need help?”

He nodded violently.

I began to pull up on my armor.

The boy shook his head and pointed at Thorn’s bag.

“A doctor, you need a doctor?”

The boy pulled at him again.

“Lead the way.”

I followed the two of them carrying all our gear. We went farther into the village and rounded a corner to see another boy curled up between a house and a wall. He clutched his stomach and a stain of blood was visible. He recoiled as we approached. His friend ran forward and began to pet his head to sooth him.

“I’m a doctor… as such,” Thorn began. “What happened?”

“I… I… don’t know. I was fine. Then my stomach kinda felt weird… then I started bleeding.”

“Let me see, it’s ok, it’s ok, let me see.” Thorn approached the boy and felt though the shirt.

“Pain?”

“Not really, more uncomfortable. The blood…”

“I need to check your chest,” Thorn said and gently moved the boy’s hands away. The stain was light. Thorn slowly tugged the shirt back and peered at the wound.

“No pain?”

The boy shook his head.

Thorn reached and touched the flesh. It was hard to see from where I was. Thorn kept looking at the boy’s paling face then back to his own fingers. He continued to probe deeper. I remembered him doing that in my side once looking for an arrowhead. Suddenly the boy moaned strangely.

Thorn pulled back as if a snake had bit him. The boy first whitened then turned bright red.

I looked at Thorn in question.

“Umm… I have no experience with this kind of thing.” He looked at the boy. “I think we should get Mach, he will probably know.”

“No!” The boy protested.

“He is very good. He knows more than I do. Keep it covered. Trust us.” Thorn held the boy’s hand. “You stay with him. I will get Mach. You…” He pointed at the other boy. “Find him water. We can clean him up a little.”

Thorn headed off quickly. The boy headed off the other way.

I sat down across from the boy who eyed me suspiciously. He seemed hesitant to speak which was fine with me. We waited for them to return. Finally, my luck ran out.

“What is your name?” He asked tentatively.

“Talon.”

“I’m Gibbous.”

He hesitated.

“Will… will I be alright?” He looked at me with a tear in his eye.

“Machaeon is smart.”

It was no answer and the boy knew it. His tears started.

“Yes.”

The other boy came back with a bucket of water.

“Crescen,” He said indicating his friend. “He can’t speak.”

Thorn and Machaeon returned swiftly talking lowly. Without any pretense they bent down to Gibbous.

“Let‘s take a look.” Machaeon said.

Gibbous looked afraid again. Crescen soothed. I could see the boy’s faces above the hunched backs of Thorn and Machaeon.

After a short examination, Machaeon stood up straight.

“When did it start?”

“This morning, when the invaders attacked.”

“Does anyone else know about this? Your family?”

Gibbous shook his head. “Father died last year...”

Machaeon looked up sharply. “What was your father’s name?”

“Bastian.”

Machaeon exhaled slowly and shrugged to himself. “For now, I will give you something for the discomfort and we will wrap extra cloth around you. You are fine to stand up.“

“I… was afraid to move after the blood started.”

“It won’t make it worse and no one will notice another stained shirt today. For now, just don’t tell anyone about this. No one. Understand?” Both boys nodded.

“Will I be alright then?”

Machaeon nodded. “Yes, you will be, you are, fine. We need to be cautious. It will all be in the treatment. Here.”

Gibbous sipped from the cup and made a face. Machaeon laughed.

“Sorry,” Gibbous muttered.

“If I had warned you, you might not have drank it.”

~ ~ ~

“What are you?” Gibbous asked me.

The sun was warm on my skin. The hall across from us, quiet. I turned to look at him more closely. He was a pudgy boy, possibly no more that eight or ten summers old. His dark brown eyes tried to take me in and he coughed. I needed a bath.

“And your friend, Thorn, he is of the same people right? I don’t remember anything other than this village. What is it like where you come from?”

“Same like here.”

“Really?”

I nodded.

Gibbous sad eyes looked down and then up quickly as Crescen came running at full speed. He pulled Gibbous up and they scampered off together. Gibbous cautiously but seemingly in no pain. I watched them run off, no worse for wear. To be that young and indestructible again. I fidgeted with the bandage on my arm.

Machaeon and Thorn came out and approached.

“Gibbous?”

“That way.”

“Do you guys need food? I am headed to the square to find food.” Machaeon asked. I shook my head. He looked at Thorn. “Keep and eye out for Gibbous.” He strode away. Thorn sat quietly and avoided my glance. I immediately knew that, once again, there was something to be said and I would not like it. I waited and hoped I was wrong.

“Mach thinks we should take Gibbous back with us so he can help him better. He said that his people know what can be done for him. They are familiar with his sickness. He suggested that we all go by boat to the hills. Mach knows the way.” He stopped to assess my reaction. I tried to not show any.

“Mach knew Gibbous’ father. They are from the same settlement.”

I sighed and shut his eyes. Another traveler, another responsibility. I was tired, so tired.

“We will all get to the hills and then we can go on our way.”

I opened his eyes.

“I will make it up to you. I promise.” He smiled.


~ ~ ~

I had hoped for a quiet ride and an even quieter return. Neither happened.

Gibbous talked incessantly the entire way. The seemingly ever-present Crescen sat at his side. I was not really sure how we ended up with both boys but we had.

The entire village was there to greet the returning men as the carts rolled through the gates. The boys were wide eyed. Neither remembered being away from home before. Gibbous shrunk back against me but watched intently. Crescen leaned out for closer looks.

Joachim ran to us as we walked toward the inn.

“How is Kjartanei?” Thorn asked.

“Much better. In fact…” He looked down. “He went hunting.”

“He did what?!” Machaeon shouted.

Joachim backed up. “He said he felt better and went out.”

“He is not well enough for that yet!”

“I told him it wasn’t a good idea…”

“You should have stopped him!”

“Easy Machaeon.” Thorn said lowly. “Joachim tried.”

“You should have at least gone with him.”

“I tried too. He didn’t want me around. I followed him for a while and then he gave me the slip.”

“Well, we should probably go out and look for him.”

“Kjartanei is fine.” I said moving next to Joachim.

“He really did seem better,” Joachim added.

“I guess we can wait. The sun won’t set for a while yet.” Thorn said while looking at the sky.

“Ok, ok.” Machaeon shook his head. “Let me know when you guys want to go look. I have patients here that I can attend to until then.” He waved himself away and went to attend to the recovering villagers and help them from the carts.

“In the meantime,” Thorn happily interjected. “Joachim we would like you to meet two more adventurers ready to join our party. This is Gibbous and this is Crescen.”

The boys and Joachim greeted each other easily and the group began toward the inn.

~ ~ ~

Kjartanei arrived late in the afternoon looking tired and carrying a pair of foxes. The boys were enchanted. It had to be Kjartanei’s blue inked skin. They stared to the point of rudeness. Kjartanei gave only tired laughs.

Machaeon met up with us for dinner. He scolded Kjartanei but was clearly pleased to see him doing so well. Machaeon also brought news that a boat to take them around the glacier would arrive any day. The port on the other side would be the starting point for the way home, his home, and, for a time, they boy’s new one. It was decided that the rest of us would accompany them most of the way before going our own ways.

Kjartenei retired early to his room. Machaeon took the boys back to his room to sleep.

“Going for walk,” I said standing up. Thorn looked up questioningly. “Be back later.”

I did not wait for a reply before leaving the remaining pair next to the fire.

The sky was clear, the air crisp. I walked down to the water. The occasional person went by, but no one bothered me. It was quiet and peaceful. Alone at last. I watched the rolling sea.

“Excuse me, may I have a word?” His common tongue was rougher than the villagers‘.

I looked over to the man in black standing in the torchlight. The man had followed me softly, but not aggressively. He looked familiar, but I knew I didn’t know him. My hand was already resting on my dagger.

“You saved many of my people and I wanted to thank you in person.” The man approached evenly with a deliberateness. No threat, his approach said.

“I know you?”

“Not until now. My name is Harald. These villages are part of my lands.” Harald held out his hand. I slowly took it.

“My troops got to the village as soon as we could. You and the villagers got there first.”

I realized where I new Harald from. “The black horse?”

“Yes. We saw you attacking the center. I was told that you also led the men and drove the invaders away from the wall. You led the charge and rallied my people.”

I shrugged.

“You quite possibly saved the village. I wanted to thank you and ask if there is any way we can repay you? Gold? Land?”

“No. We move on soon.”

“There must be something… take something… here…” Harald pulled up his sleeve revealing a gold armband. Slowly he removed it and handed it to me. “Take this, as a brother. We are in your debt. When you want to claim a reward, I will see to it.”

“Thanks.” I turned it over in my hand.

“The evening grows late and you desire solitude. I have a long ride before dawn. I will leave you to your thoughts and take my leave.” Harald reached out and shook my hand again.

“Till the next time we meet my friend.”

Harald smiled.

I watched Harald stride away and with one last flash of his black cloak he was gone.

I sat down on a rock in silence.

After a while I laughed.

At least Harald had not wanted to travel with us too.

Copyright © 2017 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..