Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Saturday Shorts - 3. Where Credit Is Due

em>Prompt #380: “Sure, now you want me to make the decisions.”

“Sure, now you want me to make the decisions.” I shook my head. No way was I going to bail Mick’s ass out again. I was all for being a team player, but the last time I’d helped him out, he’d taken credit for everything, and I’d had to listen for months about what a genius he was when it came to knowing what the clients wanted. Not this time. Mick had used his last successful ad campaign, using my ideas, to become the project lead for the biggest client we’d had the opportunity to land in years. I wasn’t about to step in and save his ass just so he could claim the credit, again.

“Come on, Dillon. You know we can’t afford to lose this account. If we can’t come up with something they like by the end of the week they’ll go somewhere else.” He actually sounded a bit pathetic, but it wasn’t enough to sway me.

Unfortunately, he was right. The company needed the client’s business, but I was done being walked all over. If he wanted my help, then I’d make damn sure I got the recognition for it.

“Here’s the deal. You want me to take over, fine, but here’s what you have to do.” I grinned and leaned over my desk. “You will go to Mr. Kist and tell him you can’t handle the account. You will come clean that your last ad campaign was all my doing, and”—I paused for effect—“you will ask to be removed from the account and have it assigned to me.”

“No fucking way, I’ll be fired.”

“Those are my terms.” I sank back into my chair. “If you don’t like it, not my problem.”

“You really are a bastard.” Mick stood and stormed from my office, slamming the door on his way out.

Maybe he was right and I was being a bastard, but I was past the point of caring. I’d spent a lot of time on that last ad campaign, and it had nearly cost me my lover. Not because of the long hours, but because I’d gotten so stressed at everything being last minute that I’d repeatedly blown up at Ryan. He’d forgiven me, but I’d sworn to both myself, and him, I wouldn’t put us through something like that again if I could help it.

Luckily for me, even if Mick had agreed to my demands, I wouldn’t have been as stressed out this time. I’d known from the start Mick couldn’t handle such a big account and already had plans drawn up for a backup campaign. If just waiting for him to fail made me a bastard, then so be it, I was a bastard. I couldn’t care less.

I glanced at the clock and sighed. I still had a couple hours before I could head home, but thinking about how close I’d come to losing Ryan made me need to see him. At least, if I couldn’t see him right away, I could always call him. I glanced at the closed door and picked up the phone. He picked up on the second ring.

“Hey babe. Please don’t tell me you’re calling to say you’re going to be late again.”

“Well, hello to you, too.” I couldn’t blame him, calls this time of day were usually to tell him exactly that. “No, I should make it home on time.”

“Oh, good.” I could picture him grinning. “So to what do I owe this middle-of-the-day call?”

“Mick just left my office. Seems the fucker can’t handle the new clothing account we’re trying to land.” I waited for his reaction, but there was nothing. No outrage, no sigh, nothing. It was so quiet I began to wonder if he’d hung up. “Ryan?”

“I’m here.” He sounded deflated.

“You okay?” He was beginning to scare me. I didn’t think I’d ever heard him sound so down, even when we’d fought over the account I’d helped Mick on at the last minute.

“I can’t do it again, Dillon.”

“Can’t do what?” What the hell was he talking about? “Do you need me to come home?” There might be hell to pay with Mr. Kist, but I’d deal with that later. If Ryan needed me at home, that’s where I’d be.

“No. I mean, I can’t handle what happened last time.”

I suddenly realized I should have told him from the start that I’d told Mick what he could do with the account. I hurried to reassure him.

“I’m sorry, I should have added I basically told him to shove it. If he wanted my help he’d have to go to Mr. Kist and admit the last campaign was all me, resign from the account, and ask that it be turned over to me. Even if he agreed, which I knew he wouldn’t, you wouldn’t have to worry.” I paused to catch my breath. “I promised you I wouldn’t do that to us again, and I won’t. I’ve been working on a campaign for the account because I knew Mick couldn’t handle it; it just needs a few final touches and it’ll be ready to go. In fact, I have a meeting with Mr. Kist on Thursday, right after the one where Mick is supposed to show him whatever he came up with.”

“God, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions.”

“No, I should have been clearer. We good?” I couldn’t handle it if we weren’t. I’d leave right now and go do whatever I had to in order to make things right.

“Yep.” At least he sounded happy again. “So, you going to be home on time then?”

“Planning on it.”

“Good, I’ll be here. Don’t be late. Love you.”

He hung up before I could reply, and I sat staring at the phone. Maybe I’d go home early after all. He said not to be late. He didn’t say anything about being early.

So what did you think? Did you think Dillon was just being a total bastard or does Mick deserve everything he has coming to him? Would love to know your thoughts on this little piece of flash fiction!
Copyright © 2015 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That was good. Dillon is doing the right thing. Mick deserves whatever the outcome is when he tells his boss. Taking credit for someone else's work is a no-no in the business world. Because eventually you get found out. And ooooooh the consequences from that are not pretty. Go home early, Mick, you're golden!! Thanks Renee, I enjoy all your prompts, stories and briefs. :worship:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

I agree with LadyDe. Hey, that rhymes! :P Good for Dillon for not putting up with Mick's BS anymore. I can't stand it when people take credit for others' work. It sounds like Dillon has his priorities straight and I'm glad that he was able to save his relationship with Ryan. I enjoyed this.

Link to comment
On 01/25/2015 03:41 AM, LadyDe said:
That was good. Dillon is doing the right thing. Mick deserves whatever the outcome is when he tells his boss. Taking credit for someone else's work is a no-no in the business world. Because eventually you get found out. And ooooooh the consequences from that are not pretty. Go home early, Mick, you're golden!! Thanks Renee, I enjoy all your prompts, stories and briefs. :worship:

Thanks LadyDe! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I sooo want Mick to get what's coming to him and the fact that Dillon already has a presentation ready, for when Mick bombs it, is just icing on the cake.

Link to comment
On 01/25/2015 03:56 AM, Valkyrie said:
I agree with LadyDe. Hey, that rhymes! :P Good for Dillon for not putting up with Mick's BS anymore. I can't stand it when people take credit for others' work. It sounds like Dillon has his priorities straight and I'm glad that he was able to save his relationship with Ryan. I enjoyed this.

Are you going to turn reviews into poetry? LOL. J/K. Thanks for the review Valkyrie. I've met, and worked, with a few people that are like Mick. It's beyond annoying. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..