Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 2. Chapter Two

Prompt: Use the 1812 Overture

Mark sighed. He would’ve asked himself why he had agreed to this damn date, but there’d be no point. The answer would be the same as it had been the last five times he’d asked himself that same question. Jackie wasn’t going to give up and it was easier to just give in than to deal with her if he refused. He tried to pay attention to what his date, Ted, was saying, but honestly he just didn’t care. He was completely bored out of his skull.

He glanced out the window they were seated by and wished he could escape. His date was good looking, but he was so self-centered. Everything that came out of his mouth had something to do with some accomplishment of his or some connection he had. Like Mark actually gave a shit that he’d met some politician and even had his picture taken with him.

“You know,” Ted apparently hadn’t realized Mark wasn’t paying attention, “my alma mater’s orchestra is putting on a performance this weekend. It’s a little late in the game, but I’m sure I could get a couple of tickets if you would like to go.”

“Orchestra?” Mark barely managed to keep from rolling his eyes. Did he look like a guy who would want to spend time at the orchestra? Not that there was anything wrong with it, but it was so not his thing.

“Yes, they are marvelous, especially their performance of the 1812 Overture. It’s just absolutely amazing and ….”

Mark tuned him out and decided then and there he was going to have to have a few words with his sister. If this was the kind of guy she thought he’d be interested in then she knew absolutely nothing about him. He forced himself to tune back in, and as soon as Ted actually stopped for a second, he jumped in.

“Sorry, but I have other plans this weekend. Besides, the orchestra really isn’t my thing.” Unfortunately for him, his manners kicked in. “Thank you for inviting me anyways.”

“Oh, you just don’t know what you’re missing out on.”

“I have a pretty good idea.” The only thing he would miss out on was being bored to tears from spending another evening in Ted’s company. He wanted to drop to his knees in gratitude when their waiter appeared with the check but refrained. Instead, he snatched it up the second the waiter left and pulled his wallet from his back pocket. He’d endured this night long enough. “I’m sorry Ted,” not really, “but I think it’s time we call it a night.”

“Was it something I said?” Ted blinked and frowned; like he couldn’t believe Mark wouldn’t want to spend more time with him.

“I just don’t think this is going to work out.” He bit his lip to keep from telling Ted exactly why it wouldn’t work out. Calling the man a narcissistic ass would be the highlight of his evening, but Mark had promised Jackie he’d be nice … and there was nothing wrong with his sense of self-preservation. She’d do something worse than make him go on a date with this guy to teach him a lesson.

“Oh, well, I don’t really think you’re my type anyways. I need someone more in touch with the finer things in life.” Ted stood, and without another word, walked out of the restaurant. Mark grinned; Ted’s rude exit would keep Jackie off his back for the date’s ending.

He honestly couldn’t remember a time he’d been so happy to have a date end. He slid his card into the receipt book and set it on the edge of the table for the waiter, and within a couple minutes, he was walking out the door of the restaurant feeling like he’d just dodged a bullet.

He pulled his phone from his pocket, surprised to see it was still early, not even eight o’clock. He could’ve sworn it was later than that, but apparently his date hadn’t dragged on for hours; though it sure as hell had felt like it. He might as well go have a few drinks, to help forget this rotten night. Plus, if he remembered right, the house band was playing tonight at his favorite bar.

He could still have a good night; a few beers, some music, and if nothing else there was bound to be some eye candy. Mark smiled. His night had suddenly gotten a little bit better. It took nearly twenty minutes to get to Kerplunked; he’d found it by accident after he’d been discharged. He wasted no time and headed straight to the bar and slid onto a stool. He slapped a twenty on the counter as the bartender came over.

“Give me a shot of Jack and a draft of Bud and keep the beer coming, please.”

“Sure thing buddy.”

Within moments both his shot and his beer were in front of him. He got his change and tipped the bartender before downing the shot and chasing the hard liquor with a quarter of his beer. If he got too soused he could call a cab and make Jackie bring him back for his truck later. Call it her penance for setting him up on the date from hell.

“Rough night?”

Mark hadn’t realized someone had slid onto the stool next to him and swiveled on his stool. He smiled at the sexy green-eyed man and confided the reason for his drinking binge without even thinking about it.

“Blind date.” He cringed at just the memory. “It didn’t go well.”

“Well, I’d say I’m sorry to hear that, but I’d be lying.” The man next to him held out his hand. “I’m Trey.”

“Mark.” He clasped the guy’s hand and grinned. Mark’s night was definitely starting to look a lot more promising.

Prompt: Use the 1812 Overture
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 35
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You ended the chapter just as it started to look good lol. Wow his date literally just up and walked out on him...his sister has such good taste.

Link to comment

Lol. Nothing puts me off more than an egotistical, braggart. They drive me nuts and I pretty much tune them out too. Hopefully things are looking up now. Can't wait for more :great:

Link to comment

What an ass Ted was. And so rude in the end; he didn't even thank Mark for dinner. :(

 

Trey seems promising. I like him already just from his first line. =)

Link to comment

Well Ted left a lot to be desired. His sister needs to know more about the guy then he is gay. If she is going to use that to find him a date, he is going to have a hard time with her. Trey is appealing. Onwards to the next chapter.

Link to comment
On 06/08/2013 10:42 PM, Daithi said:
You ended the chapter just as it started to look good lol. Wow his date literally just up and walked out on him...his sister has such good taste.
LOL! Thank you Daithi! Doesn't she though? I know I ended it just when you would have wanted me to go on. That's what happens when I'm not allowed to go over 1K, lol. Glad you are enjoying it!
Link to comment
On 06/08/2013 11:15 PM, joann414 said:
Lol. Nothing puts me off more than an egotistical, braggart. They drive me nuts and I pretty much tune them out too. Hopefully things are looking up now. Can't wait for more :great:
Yeah, I really wanted to make sure he wasn't very well liked by the readership. Especially since he rubbed me the wrong way. Glad you're still reading and thanks for the review!
Link to comment
On 06/09/2013 03:59 AM, Lisa said:
What an ass Ted was. And so rude in the end; he didn't even thank Mark for dinner. :(

 

Trey seems promising. I like him already just from his first line. =)

Thanks Lisa, and I agree with you! Notice that Mark didn't object to the hasty exit by the jerk! Now, just have to see what happens with Trey!
Link to comment
On 06/09/2013 01:49 PM, comicfan said:
Well Ted left a lot to be desired. His sister needs to know more about the guy then he is gay. If she is going to use that to find him a date, he is going to have a hard time with her. Trey is appealing. Onwards to the next chapter.
Thanks Wayne! I agree that she needs to know more... like maybe what he's looking for... what he wants in a guy... but hey, if it hadn't been for the disasterous date, who knows if he would have been at the bar...
Link to comment
On 10/07/2013 05:31 AM, Suvitar said:
That was an awful date, rude and arrogant :huh:
Thanks for the review Suvitar! I agree that he was extremely rude and arrogant. I couldn't stand the guy, if you couldn't tell!
Link to comment

"Was it something I said?"

I laughed out loud as the dialogue was so true to life. Of course, I am not sure that he actually gives the blind dates much of a chance as he seems to think of them as more of a chore than an opportunity.....

 

In any event, this chapter has introduced Trey, whom I suspect is the other main character. Good job.

Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 03:19 AM, Daddydavek said:
"Was it something I said?"

I laughed out loud as the dialogue was so true to life. Of course, I am not sure that he actually gives the blind dates much of a chance as he seems to think of them as more of a chore than an opportunity.....

 

In any event, this chapter has introduced Trey, whom I suspect is the other main character. Good job.

Well, I will agree that he didn't go on the blind date with his heart wide open to the possibilities, but based on what a jerk the other guy was, I can't say I can blame him for it not working out. As far as Trey, lets just say I do like him! Thanks for the review!!!!
Link to comment

LOL

It takes all types to make the world tick, even those that like the 1812 overture. haha

Must admit I'd probably be feeling much the same if I'd been on a date with Ted.

See............

Don't trust the sister on match making! :P

Whisky chasers! Never seen the point of ruining a fine malt with a mouthful of beer afterwards. Eurgh!

:P

So Trey ey?

Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 09:30 AM, Yettie One said:
LOL

It takes all types to make the world tick, even those that like the 1812 overture. haha

Must admit I'd probably be feeling much the same if I'd been on a date with Ted.

See............

Don't trust the sister on match making! :P

Whisky chasers! Never seen the point of ruining a fine malt with a mouthful of beer afterwards. Eurgh!

:P

So Trey ey?

Yes, it does take all types to make the world tick, but I could never stand to be around ones that seemed to think the world revolved around them, which is how Ted was. And agreed on the sister and the match making, lol.

 

As for the whiskey and the chasers, I wouldn't really know as I don't like whiskey or beer, so I'll just take your word on that one. As for Trey... *giggles* you'll just have to keep reading to find out :)

Link to comment

And now we start getting to the meat of the story! Already from the short conversation, I like Trey. And who hasn't dated someone so full of themselves they don't notice you completed tuned out the conversation!

Link to comment

Lovely. Just lovely writing. So good to be here again. Yeah a committed number of words makes it difficult to lean in and get things done

Link to comment
On 02/12/2014 10:35 PM, LJH said:
Lovely. Just lovely writing. So good to be here again. Yeah a committed number of words makes it difficult to lean in and get things done
Thank you Louis! I'm glad that you are enjoying my writing. It does make it very difficult to make the story move along, but I hope that I'm managing it fairly well. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the future chapters!
Link to comment
On 01/07/2014 04:20 AM, Mikeymike88 said:
And now we start getting to the meat of the story! Already from the short conversation, I like Trey. And who hasn't dated someone so full of themselves they don't notice you completed tuned out the conversation!
Thank you Mikeymike! I agree that a lot of people have dated people like that, luckily there are also quite a few good ones out there. Hope you continue to enjoy the story!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..