Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 20. Chapter Twenty

Prompt: make a Duck Dynasty reference

Pants.

Socks.

Mark stuffed each item in his bag as he mentally checked it off his list.

Underwear.

No way in hell was he going commando at Trey’s parent’s house. He shoved them in and reached for the pile of shirts on the bed. He stuffed them in and zipped the bag closed; leaving room for the smaller shaving bag that was on the bathroom counter. He couldn’t put it in until the morning since he still needed it, but everything was together and ready to go. He was determined to be ready before Trey got there and not wait until the last minute. This way he could be reasonably sure he wouldn’t forget anything. Like his cell phone charger. Shit!

Mark glanced at his phone. He’d need to charge it tonight, but he could still pack his car charger. Having it would be better than not having anything or having to buy a new one on the way or after they’d got there. Mark checked his pockets for his keys and crammed his bare feet into his shoes. Within minutes he’d retrieved the charger and shoved it in one of the side pockets on his bag.

“That should be it.” He glanced around the room but didn’t see anything he was forgetting. His cell phone started ringing and a quick check of the screen told him it was Jackie. He answered. “Hey sis.”

“Hey, you almost ready for your trip?”

“Yep; as ready as I’m going to get.” Mark moved to the living room and flopped down on the couch. “Though, I keep thinking I’m forgetting something.”

“Like what?”

“Dunno. Just a feeling.” He had the necessities; at least he was pretty sure he did.

“What kind of clothes did you pack? Just jeans and t-shirts or did you pack some nicer clothes in case Trey’s parents want to go to dinner?”

Mark groaned. He had a couple of somewhat decent shirts and some nice jeans, but if he needed anything nicer than that he was screwed.

“I’ll take that as a no.” Jackie chuckled. “If I were you I’d pack a pair of slacks and a dress shirt.”

“I don’t think I even have a pair of slacks that fit, let alone an actual dress shirt. Shit Jackie, I haven’t needed em.” Mark glanced at the clock. He didn’t have time to go shopping before Trey arrived.

“What time is Trey supposed to be there?” Apparently Jackie was thinking along the same lines.

“Probably a half hour, an hour at the most.” Mark sighed, he really hated shopping and he didn’t know how Trey felt about it, but they could probably go after Trey got there. That was really the only option he had.

“You and Brent are close to the same size, something of his might fit you. I can run something over if you want.”

“That would be great.” It was at least a chance that he wouldn’t have to go shopping.

“See you soon.”

Mark set the phone on the small end table. Jackie might save him from having to go shopping, but he’d have to go eventually. Even though he would hopefully rarely need to dress up, there was bound to be another occasion he might need to. It was ironic, he had shoes that should work, just not the slacks or the shirt.

He was still sitting on the couch twenty minutes later when there was a knock on the door. He walked over and pulled it open to see Jackie standing there, a hanger clasped in her hand.

“Why didn’t you just come in?” Mark stepped back to let her walk past him and then shut the door. “Where’s the kiddo at?”

“I wasn’t sure if Trey was here yet so I didn’t want to just walk in and Matthew is home with Brent. I just hope he remembers he has him. He’s busy watching his recording of Duck Dynasty.” Jackie handed him the hanger. “Go try these on.”

“Yes ma’am.” Mark took the clothes and kissed his sister on the cheek. “I really appreciate this.”

“No problem. Now scoot.” Jackie swatted his ass.

Mark chuckled and headed to his bedroom. He stripped and changed quickly, wanting to be done before Trey got there. The pants fit pretty good but the shirt was a little tight in the shoulders. They’d work well enough for now. He shucked the pants just as Jackie hollered.

“I want to see!”

“Seriously?” Mark paused in the act of unbuttoning the shirt and stepped back into the slacks. He tucked the shirt in and did the pants up before going back out to the living room.

“Well don’t you look snazzy.” Jackie walked around him. “How do they feel?”

“Shirt’s a little tight in the shoulders but not overly so, the pants fit good.” A knock on the door announced Trey’s arrival and Mark went to let him in. He opened the door and barely kept from laughing at the shocked look on Trey’s face.

“Damn, you look nice. Are we going out?” Trey stepped inside and glanced down at his own clothes. “If so, I think I’m a little underdressed.”

“Nope.” Mark shut the door and brushed a kiss across Trey’s lips before nodding in Jackie’s direction. “Jackie brought it over. I wasn’t sure what I’d need at your parents and I didn’t have any dress clothes.”

“Hi, Jackie.” Trey smiled at Jackie.

“Hey Trey.” Jackie moved closer and faced Mark. “I’ve gotta get back home, but I have a pair of shoes in the car if you need them.”

“Nah, I’m good there.” Mark pulled Jackie into a hug. “Thanks Jackie, I owe ya one.”

“We’re good.” Jackie returned the hug. “Good luck, and remember I’m only a phone call away.”

“Thank you.” Mark released his sister and watched as she said goodbye to Trey and left.

“So….”

“So….” Mark stepped close and wrapped his arms around Trey.

“What are we going to do tonight?”

Thank you for reading, I'd love to know what you think about the chapter, so please leave a review! If you'd like to discuss the chapter more in length, please visit the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Lovely chapter as usual :*) I´ve started to like Jackie, she does take care of her brother, and I mean that in a good way. She´s been very annoying in the past, but at least at the moment she´s being very nice and caring.

Link to comment

Jackie to the rescue! At least she's good for stuff like this! lol Just kidding. She's a good sister, looking out for her brother. At least she's learning to back off. :)

 

Mark was so cute thinking he forgot something. I think everyone does that. As long as you have your phone and your wallet, (and a credit card), you can buy anything else that you forgot. lol

Link to comment
On 01/12/2014 07:15 PM, Suvitar said:
Lovely chapter as usual :*) I´ve started to like Jackie, she does take care of her brother, and I mean that in a good way. She´s been very annoying in the past, but at least at the moment she´s being very nice and caring.
Thanks Suvitar! She does start to grow on you after a while, doesn't she? Sometimes I think that she is just very misunderstood, though I do have to admit that occasionally she takes it just a bit too far. Hope you enjoy the next chapter!
Link to comment
On 01/13/2014 06:46 AM, Lisa said:
Jackie to the rescue! At least she's good for stuff like this! lol Just kidding. She's a good sister, looking out for her brother. At least she's learning to back off. :)

 

Mark was so cute thinking he forgot something. I think everyone does that. As long as you have your phone and your wallet, (and a credit card), you can buy anything else that you forgot. lol

LOL! I had to redeem her somehow, didn't I? Seriously, I love Jackie, even if she can be a little bit meddlesome at times. She's a great person at heart.

 

I figured Mark's feeling like he was forgetting was something that would keep the story having that "real" feeling. I know I've done that soo many times and it never fails that we get where we're going and I have to buy something that I did indeed forget.

Link to comment

And the realism of life snaps back into view. Funny how we don't even consider the little things like a smart set of clothes till we are prompted by someone in the know.

However, I am pretty sure that was NOT the items that Mark was feeling he'd forgotten. I wonder if there is something else that's going to pop up as missing when he gets there. :P

Lovely chapter and a wicked curve of humour in there two Renee. :hug:

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 04:03 PM, Yettie One said:
And the realism of life snaps back into view. Funny how we don't even consider the little things like a smart set of clothes till we are prompted by someone in the know.

However, I am pretty sure that was NOT the items that Mark was feeling he'd forgotten. I wonder if there is something else that's going to pop up as missing when he gets there. :P

Lovely chapter and a wicked curve of humour in there two Renee. :hug:

:hug: It never seems to fail that there is always something that gets forgotten. Me and hubby always end up having to go buy at least one thing when we go on a weekend trip, ALWAYS. And I'm glad you enjoyed the bit of humor :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..