Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 21. Chapter Twenty-One

Prompt: "What's good for the goose is good for the gander."

“Time to get up.”

Lips pressed against Mark’s then retreated as a weight settled on the edge of the bed.

Mark groaned and opened his eyes to see Trey sitting next to him.

“What time is it?” It couldn’t be six yet, he’d set his alarm and he hadn’t heard it go off.

“A little before six.”

Mark groaned and covered his eyes with his arm. “I thought we weren’t getting up until six.”

“I woke up early and went out to get us breakfast. Fresh cinnamon rolls, covered in icing”—Trey grinned—“and coffee.”

Coffee.

Mark dropped his arm and smiled. He might just be able to function with coffee. Cinnamon rolls didn’t sound too bad either.

“Thought that might change your mind”—Trey chuckled and stood—“I’ll meet you in the kitchen.”

Mark flung the covers back and climbed out of bed as Trey left. He’d need a shower before they left, but he could do that after he’d had a cup of coffee and, apparently, a cinnamon roll. Before anything else, his bladder was screaming for release.

He shuffled into the bathroom and took care of his immediate needs and splashed water on his face to help him wake up. He even took a moment to swish with mouth wash before going back to his bedroom and tugging on a pair of pajama pants. Trey was sitting at the table cradling a cup of coffee when Mark finally emerged from the bedroom feeling somewhat human.

“Morning.” Trey stood and walked over to the coffee pot. He came back a moment later carrying a steaming cup of caffeinated goodness. “Sit. I’ll get your cinnamon roll.”

Mark savored the first sip before following Trey’s order. He watched Trey pull two plates from the oven. He set one in front of Mark and the other where he’d been sitting when Mark came in.

“The plate might be a little hot; I didn’t want them to get cold so I had the oven on warm.”

“How did you manage this without waking me up?” He wasn’t a heavy sleeper. If Trey had set an alarm, Mark would have woken up to it as well. Hell, he should have woken up when Trey got out of bed.

“I had my phone tucked under my pillow.” Trey shrugged and sat back down. “I found this great place on my way back to the base one morning that make the best cinnamon rolls. Thought it would be a good way to start the day.”

“It’s perfect.” Mark tore a piece off the warm roll and popped it in his mouth. He hadn’t had a cinnamon roll that wasn’t from a can in longer than he could remember, but he was going to have to have Trey point out the place. So many places skimped on the icing or the cinnamon, but these were delicious. He swallowed and took a drink of coffee. “These are awesome!”

“I thought so.”

They ate in silence after that, but it didn’t really bother Mark. Truthfully, he wasn’t really sure what to say. He didn’t really want to talk about how he was slightly nervous about meeting Trey’s parents. He needed to meet Trey’s family. Trey had met Jackie, even if their first meeting hadn’t gone so well; he’d still done it. What was it his sister had always told him whenever she’d done something to him that he’d done to her? What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Mark chuckled.

“What’s so funny?” Trey was looking at him, one eyebrow raised.

“I was just thinking of that old saying, about the goose and the gander”—Mark laughed at the perplexed look on Trey’s face—“only, you’re sure as hell not a goose!”

“Are you feeling okay?” Trey no longer looked perplexed, he looked concerned.

Mark laughed and nodded. Yeah, Trey probably thought he’d lost his mind, but it was all good. He popped the last bite of cinnamon roll into his mouth and stood. He washed the sweet down with coffee and set his cup on the table before moving around to where Trey was sitting.

“Thank you for breakfast.” Mark leaned down and kissed Trey. He wanted to deepen the kiss but knew if he did they’d never get on the road, especially since he still needed to shower. “I’m going to go get showered and ready to go. Give me a half hour or so and we can hit the road.”

“Works for me, we still taking your truck?”

“Unless you’d rather we take yours. Doesn’t really matter to me.” Mark’s truck was a bit more comfortable to ride in, but if Trey wanted to take his Mark wouldn’t complain.

“Nope, I’m good. Just figured that while you were showering I’d go move stuff around.”

“Sounds good.” Mark had one spot assigned specifically for his apartment. Mark had already let the rental office know that Trey’s truck would be occupying the spot for the week so that it wouldn’t be towed away while they were gone.

Mark left Trey to finish his breakfast and headed for the bathroom. He was tempted to take his time, but he knew that Trey was anxious to get on the road. He barely waited for the water to get warm before stepping into the shower and made quick work of washing his body and hair. Within just a few minutes of stepping under the warm spray he was stepping out onto the bathmat and wrapping a towel around his waist.

He’d told Trey a half hour but less than fifteen minutes after heading for the bathroom he was walking back into the kitchen, dressed and ready to go, his bag slung over his shoulder.

“You ready?” He dropped his bag next to the door and scanned the apartment to make sure he hadn’t forgotten anything.

“Yep, you?” Trey stepped over from where he’d been leaning against the counter.

“As ready as I’m going to get.”

Well, there you go. They're on their way to see Trey's parents. Thank you for reading, I'd love to know what you think about the chapter, so please leave a review! If you'd like to discuss the chapter more in length, please visit the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 18
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Jeez, I want someone to bring me cinnamon rolls and coffee too. What a great way to be woken up. lol

 

Eh, Mark will be fine with Trey's family. Plus, it's important for Trey, so he has to go.

 

Looking forward to meeting the folks too! :)

Link to comment
On 01/16/2014 02:56 AM, Suvitar said:
They are so sweet together :wub: You do keep us waiting for the meeting with Trey´s parents :rolleyes:
Thank you Suvitar! Glad you think so and it's not intentional, it's just hard to move it forward sometimes with the shortness of the chapters, but it's getting there, I promise!
Link to comment
On 01/16/2014 03:34 AM, Lisa said:
Jeez, I want someone to bring me cinnamon rolls and coffee too. What a great way to be woken up. lol

 

Eh, Mark will be fine with Trey's family. Plus, it's important for Trey, so he has to go.

 

Looking forward to meeting the folks too! :)

Yeah, I'd like that too! LOL. I had that scene in my head for a previous prompt that was supplied, a pan of cinnamon rolls, but I didn't get it written due to stuff that was going on, so I figured I'd still incorporate it later on as I loved the scene. I agree that he needs to go since it's important for Trey, now it's just getting them there and seeing how it goes! Thanks for the review Lisa!
Link to comment
On 01/17/2014 06:31 AM, Daddydavek said:
Can't wait to see how meeting the family goes!
Thanks for the review DDK! Me and you both!!!
Link to comment

I touch of normalcy in a whirl wind of tension. Kind of cute really, but I can only hope that this meeting goes better than I am expecting. Again with the pessimistic outlook, not quite sure why! Maybe it is all in the title, Thwarted! :P

I thought they were going for a weekend, or did I read that wrong? In this chapter you talk of them being away for a week?

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 11:16 PM, Yettie One said:
I touch of normalcy in a whirl wind of tension. Kind of cute really, but I can only hope that this meeting goes better than I am expecting. Again with the pessimistic outlook, not quite sure why! Maybe it is all in the title, Thwarted! :P

I thought they were going for a weekend, or did I read that wrong? In this chapter you talk of them being away for a week?

I don't know if maybe I have it as a weekend somewhere else, but when Trey originally brings up the visit and asks Mark to go with him, it's for a week. I might have done a mistype elsewhere, might have to go back and look just in case.

 

And I don't know why the title would have anything to do with a pessimistic outlook... it's just a title :P ... LOL. Thanks for the review hon, glad you're enjoying the story!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..