Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 22. Chapter Twenty-Two

Prompt: "You need coffee"
Note: None of the prompts this week really jumped out at me this week, but I wanted to get a chapter out, so this was the one I could work into the story, so I went with it. Enjoy.

“You need coffee?” Trey held up the thermos Mark had dug out of a cupboard and filled before they’d left.

“No thanks. I’m coffee’d out, any more of that and I’m going to have to stop alongside the road.” Mark was only half joking. He was definitely going to have to stop somewhere before they got to Trey’s parents, but he wasn’t desperate yet. Besides, he’d drunk so much coffee it was starting to make him jittery and he was nervous enough about meeting Trey’s family.

“Sometimes I forget how long this drive is.”

“I’ve been on longer.” Mark glanced over and smiled when he saw Trey watching him. “How much longer until we get to your parent’s place?”

“A half hour or so. There’s a truck stop right before we get into town. I usually stop there to use the bathroom.” He grinned. “Mom hates it when I rush past her to the bathroom, barely even saying hello.”

“Just let me know what exit to take.” A half hour. He had the feeling that half hour would go by extremely fast. “So, anything I need to know about your parents?”

“Not really. Mom and Dad own a bed and breakfast place. They got tired of always having to be on hand though and hired staff to run it so they could live off site.” Trey shrugged. “They enjoyed it, and still do, but they could never just get away. Dad still does the majority of the maintenance and mom does all the bookkeeping.”

“Did you help your dad with the maintenance and stuff growing up?” Mark could just picture Trey following his dad around with a miniature tool belt around his hips.

“Yeah, sometimes. I can fix a leaky faucet with the best of them, but most the time I was off doing my own thing.” Trey grinned. “Usually I was out doing stuff that was bound to get me in trouble if my parents had found out about it.”

“Oh really? Do tell.” Mark looked over briefly.

Trey grinned at him.

“Nope, not telling you all my secrets just yet. You’ll find out soon enough.”

“I’m sure the truth can’t compete with my imagination anyways.” Mark wasn’t above teasing to try and get the information. Besides, it helped to keep his mind busy and off other things.

“I’m sure it can’t, but that’s not going to work.” Trey laughed.

“Was worth a shot.”

“Take this next exit. We can top off the tank if you want, get drinks, and use the bathroom.” Trey pointed out the windshield and Mark could see the truck stop up ahead.

He pulled off and it didn’t take long until they were back on the road. Mark hadn’t protested when Trey slid behind the wheel. It made sense, since Trey knew exactly where they were going. Mark tried to think of things to fill the silence, but came up with little. Before he knew it they were pulling up into the driveway of a decent sized two story house. Mark swallowed and Trey shut off the engine and opened the driver’s door.

“You ready?”

“Yep.” What else could he say? It was a little late for him to be having doubts. He climbed out and trailed behind Trey as they approached the front door. “What about our bags?”

“We’ll come back out and grab them.”

Mark hung back slightly as the screen door opened and a woman only a few inches shorter than himself and Trey stepped out. The door slammed shut behind her.

“Trey! You’re home!” The woman pulled Trey into her arms.

“Hey Mom.” Trey wrapped his arms her.

She may have been nearly as tall as his boyfriend, but Trey’s bulk easily dwarfed the slender woman. Mark smiled as he watched the tender reunion, but swallowed when Trey pulled back and both Trey and his mom turned to face him.

“You must be Mark; Trey’s told me so much about you. I’m Diane.”

Mark stepped forward and, unsure what else to do, started to hold out his hand.

“It’s nice to meet you Mrs. Simpson.”

“Oh, none of that. It’s Diane.” Diane smacked his hand down and pulled him into a hug.

Mark glanced past her to see Trey watching them with a grin. Unable to do anything else he returned the hug awkwardly before pulling away.

“Where’s dad at?”

“He got a call about some issue up at the bed and breakfast.” Trey’s mom shrugged. “He didn’t give me all of the details, but he called about twenty minutes ago that he was on his way back, so he should be here anytime. Now”—she looked at Trey—“where are your bags?”

“They’re in the truck.”

“Well go get ‘em and bring ‘em in, they’re not going to do you any good out there.” Diane opened the screen door before turning to look at them. “I put you in your old room.”

“Thanks Mom.” Trey leaned forward and kissed her on the cheek and turned to Mark as she went inside. “Guess we should have just brought them in from the start.”

Mark shrugged and headed back to the truck. He’d just grabbed his duffel out of the back when another pick-up pulled up next to his in the driveway. He swung the strap of his bag over his shoulder and walked around to join Trey as an older version of Trey climbed out of the truck.

“You made it!” The big man wrapped Trey in a hug.

“I did.” Trey pulled back. “Dad, I’d like you to meet Mark. Mark, this is my dad, Gary.”

Mark’s hand was clasped and he found himself looking into eyes the same shade of green as Trey’s.

“So, you’re the one who talked my son into quitting the Army.”

Well, they made it to Trey's parents. What did you think? Was Trey's mom's welcome what you expected? What did you make of his dad's words? I'd love to know what you think about the chapter, so please leave a review! If you'd like to discuss the chapter more in length, please visit the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

well, well, well i don't really know what to think of this chapter. trey's mom seems fine even nice and welcome but it was just the introduction so we'll need to see what will happen during the rest of their trip there. as for trey's father i really don't know what to think of him, i mean his last sentence could be a good or a bad thing. it's quite difficulte to know what they think, especially the father because trey never really talk about them, but he seems confidente that everything will be alright, so we'll see next week. i can't wait....

Link to comment

I think Trey´s mum is great and probably will love Mark but we´ll see in future chapters. Trey´s dad probably is pleased that Trey quit the army. Can´t wait to read more :read:

Link to comment

Well shit. Not a good sentence to greet someone with. Of course as clochette wrote, it could go either way; Trey's dad may be happy that his son is quitting the army, or he may be really angry. We'll have to wait and see. But he put poor Mark in a bad position now b/c now he's going to feel like he has to defend himself. Never a good thing.

 

I really like Trey's mom; she's sweet and hopefully she can diffuse any tension that may arise. lol

 

Great chapter, Renee! :)

Link to comment

Most of the others have mentioned it but here is the quote:

“So, you’re the one who talked my son into quitting the Army.”

 

Now we have no idea whether dad likes or hates that idea. However, after his son is deployed and he has to worry about if he comes back, he may either like the idea more or at least understand where our hero is coming from.

Good job and you do know how to end a chapter on a good line.....

Link to comment

Good chapter. I like Mom's introduction. I agree with the other reviewers about Dad's comment. I think it's a thank you not a criticism. Guess we'll see the real deal in the next chapters.

Link to comment
On 01/22/2014 10:27 PM, clochette said:
well, well, well i don't really know what to think of this chapter. trey's mom seems fine even nice and welcome but it was just the introduction so we'll need to see what will happen during the rest of their trip there. as for trey's father i really don't know what to think of him, i mean his last sentence could be a good or a bad thing. it's quite difficulte to know what they think, especially the father because trey never really talk about them, but he seems confidente that everything will be alright, so we'll see next week. i can't wait....
Thanks for the review Clochette! That last sentence was sitting in my head and seemed the perfect way to end the chapter, though I guess it could have been considered mean as well, lol. I admit it is hard to know what to think about Trey's dad and it is just the introductions, so now just see what the week ahead brings. Hope you continue to enjoy the story!
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 02:39 AM, Suvitar said:
I think Trey´s mum is great and probably will love Mark but we´ll see in future chapters. Trey´s dad probably is pleased that Trey quit the army. Can´t wait to read more :read:
Thanks for the review Suvitar! I'm interested to see what future chapters will show and I'm the one writing it :), lol. As for Trey's dad... well, that will be coming up in future chapters, lol. Glad you're enjoying!
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 05:48 AM, Lisa said:
Well shit. Not a good sentence to greet someone with. Of course as clochette wrote, it could go either way; Trey's dad may be happy that his son is quitting the army, or he may be really angry. We'll have to wait and see. But he put poor Mark in a bad position now b/c now he's going to feel like he has to defend himself. Never a good thing.

 

I really like Trey's mom; she's sweet and hopefully she can diffuse any tension that may arise. lol

 

Great chapter, Renee! :)

Thanks for the review Lisa! You are certainly right that it could go either way. I certainly have reasons for everything I do, and Trey's dad's final words of this chapter will come into play again later in this story, but that's all I'm going to say on that for now, lol. Not too much I can say about Trey's mom at this point since we've really only gotten a brief glimpse of her, but I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter!
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 08:26 AM, Daddydavek said:
Most of the others have mentioned it but here is the quote:

“So, you’re the one who talked my son into quitting the Army.”

 

Now we have no idea whether dad likes or hates that idea. However, after his son is deployed and he has to worry about if he comes back, he may either like the idea more or at least understand where our hero is coming from.

Good job and you do know how to end a chapter on a good line.....

Thanks for the review DDK! I sometimes love to keep the readers guessing as to what is going on inside my characters heads. I new before I even started writing the chapter that I was going to end it with that line and I have to admit, I was curious as to how the readers would take it. It has definitely sparked some comments, lol. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
Link to comment
On 01/23/2014 01:53 PM, LadyDe said:
Good chapter. I like Mom's introduction. I agree with the other reviewers about Dad's comment. I think it's a thank you not a criticism. Guess we'll see the real deal in the next chapters.
Thanks for the review LadyDe! I really wanted to keep Mom's introduction lighthearted since I already knew that I was going to end the chapter with that line from Dad and that it would have readers guessing as to Dad's thoughts. Hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters!
Link to comment

Oh.....

Talk about a cliff hanger!

Haha :D

Interesting. I am hoping that the final statement is one of relief and not anger. :P

Erm....... Do they know the two are um.... partners?

Oh, the questions mount. hehe

Link to comment
On 07/16/2014 11:23 PM, Yettie One said:
Oh.....

Talk about a cliff hanger!

Haha :D

Interesting. I am hoping that the final statement is one of relief and not anger. :P

Erm....... Do they know the two are um.... partners?

Oh, the questions mount. hehe

Me? Cliffhanger?

 

I'm just trying to keep the readers enticed and coming back for more :D .

 

Don't worry, all your questions will be answered... Eventually

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..