Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 24. Chapter Twenty-Four

Prompt: “Making a mountain out of a molehill.”

“You’re going to what?” Gary set his coffee down and stared at his son.

“Live with Mark.” Trey smiled at Mark and turned to face his dad. “Before you even start, I already know what you’re going to say.”

“You think so?” Gary laced his fingers together on top of the table.

“Yep. You’re going to tell me that we’re moving way too fast”—Trey shrugged—“but you’re not telling us anything we haven’t already thought about.”

“Then why not wait?” Diane glanced at Mark. “Please don’t misunderstand, we’re glad Trey found someone, but shouldn’t you get to know each other better first?”

Trey didn’t give Mark a chance to answer.

“You obviously aren’t listening to me and are making a mountain out of a molehill.”

Trey stood and moved behind Mark’s chair. Before he could guess his intentions, Mark felt his boyfriend’s hands land on his shoulders.

“I said if things work out like we hope.” Trey squeezed Mark’s shoulders. “We have the next year to learn more about each other and then another month before my enlistment is actually up.”

Mark wanted to reassure Trey’s parents but there really wasn’t much that he could add, besides, they didn’t know him so whatever he said wouldn’t mean much. The only thing he could do was do his best to let them get to know him over the week and maybe, if it went well, make sure to keep in touch with them after Trey had been deployed.

“Well, you’re only here for a week”—Diane glanced at her husband—“and I don’t want to spend it arguing. You know we’ll support you in whatever you decide to do, we just want you to think about all of your options.”

“I know Mom and I am, so….”

“Are you boys getting hungry?” Diane stood and moved over to the fridge. “I made up a big pot of stew last night that we can have with some biscuits.”

“Sounds great, Diane.” Gary pushed his own chair back. “While you do that I’ll go get a few things put away.” Gary nodded at both Mark and Trey and headed for the front door.

“You okay staying with Mom if I go talk to Dad for a minute?” Trey kept his voice low but Mark had little doubt that Diane could probably hear him.

“Go ahead, I’m fine.” Mark certainly didn’t want to cause problems and hoped that Trey could get things straightened out with his Dad. He hadn’t known that Trey planned to bring up the idea of their going to school together up, especially not their first day. Granted, there hadn’t really been a way around it, but it was quite the bomb to drop on his parents.

Mark tilted his head up and smiled to make sure he knew it really was okay.

“Thanks.” Trey leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to his lips before heading out the front door.

Mark watched the front door close behind him and turned to watch Diane watching him, a small smile curving her lips.

He smiled back and got to his feet.

“Is there anything I can do to help you with lunch?”

“Sure”–she handed him a cookie sheet and a can of biscuits—“you can put the biscuits on the cookie sheet.”

“No problem.” Mark set the sheet on the counter and popped the biscuits open.

“Don’t mind Gary, he was looking forward to having Trey back home.” Diane pulled a large pot out of the fridge and set it on the stove. “I think that’s one of the reasons he was glad we never had daughters.”

“How so?” Mark placed the biscuits on the sheet and moved back over to the chair he’d been sitting in.

“Daughters get married and move away.” Diane turned the stove on low and came to sit across from him. “He always figured Trey would stay close to home.”

“It’s okay, I understand.” Mark couldn’t say much, Jackie had responded in much the same way when she’d thought Trey was going to take him away, so he couldn’t really fault Trey’s parents.

“What do your parents have to say about how quickly your relationship with Trey is going?”

Mark swallowed. He hadn’t really discussed his parents with Trey, which he should probably rectify in the near future. He certainly needed to tell Trey before he said anything to Trey’s mom. Instead of answering, he grabbed his water and took a swallow as he tried to figure out how to answer without really answering.

“They haven’t, but my sister had much the same concerns, mainly with Trey being military.” He really hoped that Diane wouldn’t push for more about his parents.

Diane looked confused.

“Jackie was concerned that Trey would get transferred to somewhere further away and that I’d go with him.” Mark smiled. “I only moved back after I got out of the army a little over six months ago and she just got used to having me around again. She wasn’t looking forward to me leaving again.”

“Ahh, so you at least understand where Gary and I are coming from.”

Mark nodded.

“We’d love to have Trey closer, but I do hope you realize that we’re not saying we hope it doesn’t work out, we really just want Trey happy.” Diane stood and put the biscuits in the oven as it beeped. She stirred the stew before coming back and sitting back down.

“We’re both hoping that it works out between us”—Mark paused—“but if that happens, it doesn’t mean that you won’t see him often. It’s not like while he’s in the military, even if we are going to school, there are long weekends, and breaks. You guys could come visit as well.”

“You’re right.” Diane smiled and reached over and patted his hand. “There’s plenty of time to figure it all out.”

Sorry about missing last week! Here's the next chapter of Thwarted, hope it was worth the wait. I'd love to know what you thought, so feel free to leave a review. If you'd like to discuss the story more in depth with either myself, or other readers, feel free to do so in the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Trey´s dad had things figured out and now Trey changed all that, understandable that he is a bit upset and worried about Trey and Mark living together.

Another great chapter :*)

Link to comment

As a parent, it would break my heart to have my son leave for his deployment, come back, and then leave again with a loved one. But as Mark said, there is always visiting, Skype maybe, even though it's not the same thing.

 

I'm curious about Mark's parents. I don't remember if they've been discussed before.

Link to comment
On 02/13/2014 01:29 AM, Daddydavek said:
As in all relationships, face time is important. Parents want it and need it too!
Agree completely DDK! I knew it would be hard for Trey's parents, but at least he still wouldn't be that far away. Thanks for reviewing!!
Link to comment
On 02/13/2014 04:37 AM, Suvitar said:
Trey´s dad had things figured out and now Trey changed all that, understandable that he is a bit upset and worried about Trey and Mark living together.

Another great chapter :*)

It definitely sucks when you think you have something all figured out and someone goes and suddenly changes it on you. I agree that Gary's response is understandable and completely expected. Now we've just go to see how he handles it from here on out. Thanks for the review!!!
Link to comment
On 02/13/2014 04:27 PM, Lisa said:
As a parent, it would break my heart to have my son leave for his deployment, come back, and then leave again with a loved one. But as Mark said, there is always visiting, Skype maybe, even though it's not the same thing.

 

I'm curious about Mark's parents. I don't remember if they've been discussed before.

Even though I'm not a parent, it's understandable. I know my parents weren't too happy when I married a military man and moved away. They supported me in my choice, but that didn't mean they had to like it.

 

Regarding Mark's parents, well... there's still plenty of story left. (Though since I'm a bit behind on answering reviews, you already know some of that)

Link to comment

Mom's are always more diplomatic, but I have to feel that as parents, the true concern lies in the fact that their son is about to depart for a war zone, not on the fact that when and indeed if he returns, he might be shacking up with his lover in another part of the country.

I guess that it is a skilfully planed avoidance to the real issue ey? Funny how true to life this is in so many ways. I've actually done that myself. It is easier to fuss about something that in the bigger scheme of things is neither here nor there, but we do it all the same just to keep our minds of the pressing stuff.

Plus, I think Mark's already scored major brownie points in convincing Trey to leave the army! :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..