Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 33. Chapter Thirty-Three

Normally I use a prompt for each chapter, however, in the interest of completing Thwarted, not every chapter from this point forward will be the result of a prompt.

“You doing okay?” Mark knew leaving his parents hadn’t been easy for Trey and had kept quiet as long as he could, but it had been nearly an hour.

“Hmm?” Trey looked over and smiled, but Mark could tell it was forced. “Oh yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.” Trey turned back to the window.

“I left my number with your parents. If they need any help or anything, all they need to do is call.” He’d felt like it was the least he could do.

Trey turned back to him, but this time it was a real smile.

“I know you do and I appreciate it. You’re sure you don’t mind going to help them with the new computer?” Trey snickered. “Mom and Dad aren’t the most tech savvy people.”

“I wouldn’t have offered if I minded.”

Mark didn’t know what else to say and focused instead on driving. Another twenty minutes passed before the feeling of being watched made him look over.

Trey leaned back against the door and watched him, his arms crossed over his chest and his lips in a flat line as he studied Mark.

“What?” Mark wasn’t sure he liked the way Trey was looking at him.

“Nothing really. It just seems like nothing ever fazes you.” Trey shrugged. “I just can’t help but wonder if there’s a side to you that I haven’t seen yet.”

Mark tightened his grip on the steering wheel. He didn’t like the sound of that.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” His voice came out harsher than he intended but it was too late to take the words back.

“I think the only person I’ve ever seen you upset with is your sister. Then there’s my parents, this last week is the first time you’ve met them, yet you’re willing to basically drop everything to come up here and help them out.” Trey shrugged again. “I just find it odd is all. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone as calm and collected as you.”

Mark gritted his teeth and reminded himself that Trey had to be stressed out about having left his parents and his upcoming deployment. He didn’t want to get into it with Trey while he was driving, but it was hard to keep his mouth shut. He could understand why Trey was trying to pick a fight; it didn’t mean he had to feed into it. Trey apparently wasn’t done yet.

“You know, I wouldn’t blame you if you decided that a year apart is too much to deal with.”

Mark jerked in shock and the truck swerved on the road. Thank god there were no vehicles next to him or he’d probably have hit them before he managed to get himself back under control. He’d hoped to wait until they got home to figure out what the hell was going through Trey’s mind, but whatever it was couldn’t wait. He took the next exit, uncaring that it led nowhere, and pulled the truck as far off the road as he could before jerking the gearshift into park and unhooking his seatbelt. He chanced one look at Trey before opening his door and climbing out. He slammed the door and walked away from the truck. He needed to get himself under control before he faced Trey again. He wasn’t surprised to see his hands shaking.

Mark tried to understand. He knew how stressful things got just before a deployment. He knew all about second guessing and wondering what was going to happen. Despite his personal knowledge, Trey’s words and behavior was still like a knife to his heart. He heard the door to the truck open and shut and tensed as the sound of footsteps approached.

“Mark?”

“Just give me a minute.” He couldn’t face Trey just yet; he needed to make sure he had his emotions under control.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that.” Trey rested a hand against Mark’s back.

Mark turned around.

“You don’t have to apologize. If that’s what you feel….”

He couldn’t complete the thought.

“It’s not.” Trey sighed. “I didn’t think it would be this hard, you know?” Trey turned and walked back to the truck. Rather than get back in, he lowered the tailgate and hopped up.

They needed to get back, but Mark didn’t want to finish the drive with whatever was going on hanging over their heads. He’d take whatever time Trey needed to get this worked out. He walked over and settled next to Trey.

“I do know.” Mark rested his elbows on his knees and laced his fingers together. He wanted to reach out to Trey, but until they got this straightened out, he wasn’t sure it would be welcomed. “I’ve been there and I know how stressful it gets.”

“I know. I shouldn’t have snapped at you.” Trey really did sound apologetic. “You’re just always so calm, like nothing bothers you.”

“Plenty bothers me.” Mark shrugged. “Let’s go through one thing at a time. I know it’s hard to know that you’re not going to be here to help your parents out. I love you, if I can alleviate a little bit of your worries by helping them out, then that’s what I’ll do. I’m not perfect, and maybe I’m being a little bit selfish.”

“How so?” Trey turned his head and looked at him.

“Maybe it’s too soon to be thinking like this, but we’re talking about moving in together when you get back and making a life together. In essence, your parents will be my in-laws. I don’t have a great relationship with my own parents, mainly my dad, but I’d like to have a good relationship with my in-laws.” Mark smiled at Trey. “Plus, knowing they can call me will ease your mind somewhat. You’ll have enough to worry about without having to worry about not being around to help your parents if they need it.”

“It’s not selfish.” Trey reached over and rested one of his hands on Mark’s knee. “For what it’s worth, my parents like you. We talked about it last night.”

“I’m glad.” Mark sighed. “As far as a year apart being too much to deal with….”

“Don’t.” Trey leaned against Mark’s side. “I didn’t mean that. I’m just frustrated. I don’t want to go and I took it out on you.”

“I’ll admit that at times it seems like things have gone too smoothly for us”—Mark chuckled—“but I’m sure that eventually we’ll fight, all couples do. We’ll work through it.”

“Yeah, I know.” Trey slid off the tailgate and moved in front of Mark. He pushed his way between Mark’s knees. “I am sorry for upsetting you.”

Mark nodded.

“It’s okay, I do understand.” He reached out and rested his hands on Trey’s hips. “You ready to head for home?”

“In a minute.” Trey lowered his head and brushed his lips against Mark’s.

Mark wrapped his arms around Trey and pulled him closer as he returned the kiss. His lips parted under Trey’s. Trey eventually pulled back and smiled down at him.

“Let’s head for home.”

“Works for me.” Mark gave him one final peck and grinned. “Besides, the side of the road probably isn’t the best place for making up.”

“Making up sounds good to me!” Trey stepped back. “Well? What are you waiting for?”

“Not a damn thing.” Mark slid off the tailgate. He was going to make the most of every second they had together before Trey left.

He just needed to get them home.

Sorry about the long delay getting this chapter out! Thank you everyone for your patience. Hope you enjoy it and I'd love to hear from you, either via a review or in the discussion thread! If you're not a member and would like to leave a review, joining is easy and free!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I´ve missed Mark and Trey, so nice to have a new chapter. Thank you for that!

 

They are so sweet, even when they are fighting, if you can call that fighting.

Link to comment

With deployment looming the stress is immense and snapping at each other is understandable.

More please!

Link to comment

It's great that Mark knew exactly what Trey was doing and why he was acting like that. Any other person would have probably blown up at him. After all, it's so much easier to leave someone you love if you're angry with them. I used to pick fights with my mom every time I went back to school. It's good that Mark didn't feed into that. =)

Link to comment
On 08/03/2014 12:07 PM, Headstall said:
I love this story so far...can't wait for the next chapter...
Thanks for the review, glad you're enjoying the story and look forward to hearing your thoughts on future chapters!
Link to comment
On 05/30/2014 06:44 PM, Suvitar said:
I´ve missed Mark and Trey, so nice to have a new chapter. Thank you for that!

 

They are so sweet, even when they are fighting, if you can call that fighting.

Your welcome Suvitar, and thank you for the review. Sorry about the delay in posting. I don't know as I'd call it a "fight" per se... more a case of "blowing off steam". LOL.
Link to comment
On 05/30/2014 10:51 PM, Daddydavek said:
With deployment looming the stress is immense and snapping at each other is understandable.

More please!

Thank you DDK! That was kind of my thought too, that they had to be getting a bit stressed and it would seem weird if that stress didn't show itself in some small way. Plus, I felt that actually snapping at each other would, in a way, show their comfort level with each other. They can snap and know the other won't take it personally.
Link to comment
On 06/02/2014 05:27 AM, Lisa said:
It's great that Mark knew exactly what Trey was doing and why he was acting like that. Any other person would have probably blown up at him. After all, it's so much easier to leave someone you love if you're angry with them. I used to pick fights with my mom every time I went back to school. It's good that Mark didn't feed into that. =)
Thanks for the review Lisa. You're probably right, it definitely is helpful that Mark has already been through what Trey is going through now and has probably mentally prepared himself for what he knew was coming (in terms of Trey's mindset). However, I couldn't just let Trey get completely away with it :)
Link to comment

Hmmmmmmmm

Ok, I am not sure I understood why Mark lost it as much as he did. He knew that Trey was pushing his buttons because of stress, he's been there and felt that, so surely he should have given it room.

Still, I am glad they stopped and talked it through. It is not the kind of thing that just goes away and should be dealt with head on in much the way they did.

Pressure and a deep underlying fear in both of them is only going to make the tension more tangible and real, and confronting it together like that is going to make it easier to cope.

Glad they are sensible. :P

Oh wise writer! :)

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 03:07 AM, Yettie One said:
Hmmmmmmmm

Ok, I am not sure I understood why Mark lost it as much as he did. He knew that Trey was pushing his buttons because of stress, he's been there and felt that, so surely he should have given it room.

Still, I am glad they stopped and talked it through. It is not the kind of thing that just goes away and should be dealt with head on in much the way they did.

Pressure and a deep underlying fear in both of them is only going to make the tension more tangible and real, and confronting it together like that is going to make it easier to cope.

Glad they are sensible. :P

Oh wise writer! :)

Thanks for the review Yettie!

 

I guess the only thing I can say about Mark's reaction is that he was trying to let things roll off, but I think we've all been in a situation where we have to remove ourselves from a situation before we say something that we can't take back.

 

Trey's comment pushed Mark to the point where he needed to get away before Trey said something else that would make him say something like that. Like you though, I'm glad they stopped and talked it out.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..