Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 35. Chapter Thirty-Five

Mark couldn’t move as the phone slipped from his fingers and fell to the ground. He’d heard wrong, he had to have. There was no way his mom could be gone.

“Mark?”

He heard Trey and looked over, but he could barely see him through the sheen of tears. He shook his head and stared down at the phone. He could even hear Brent calling his name, but he couldn’t pick it up. He didn’t want to pick it up. He wanted to have never answered in the first place. He wanted to go back to when him and Trey had first got home and were all wrapped up in each other. He watched Trey reach down and lift the phone to his ear.

“Hello?” Trey watched him as he listened to Brent. “No, it’s Trey.”

Trey’s eyes widened and a tear slipped down his cheek.

“Okay, I’ll find out and let you know.” Trey listened some more. “I don’t know, but I’m sure we’ll be over there shortly either way.” Trey squeezed his hand. “I will Brent. Thanks for calling.”

Trey flipped the phone shut and turned tear filled eyes to Mark.

“Mark, I’m so sorry.” He reached out, but Mark shook his head and stood, pulling his hand free.

He couldn’t handle Trey holding him, he’d lose it, he knew he would. He walked into the bedroom and closed the door. He just needed a few minutes and then he’d go over to Jackie’s. His sister would need him and he couldn’t be there for her if he was losing his shit. The door wasn’t that thick and he could hear Trey through it, talking to someone. Probably his mom; letting her know they’d make it back.

The tears he’d been holding back escaped and slid unchecked down his cheeks. He’d never talk to his Mom again. It wasn’t fucking fair. Mark punched the wall, the fleeting pain in his hand a welcome enough distraction that he did it again and again until the wall gave and his fist left a gaping hole. He sank to the floor, his back against the wall, staring at the blood coating his knuckles and barely even looked up as his door was thrown open.

“Mark? Are you okay, I thought I heard…? Oh Mark.” Trey walked over and sank to his knees in front of him.

Mark didn’t have time to protest before he was wrapped in Trey’s embrace, his head cradled against Trey’s chest. Mark wrapped his arms around Trey and sobbed, unable to keep his grief bottled up. Only once his tears had started to subside did he pull back. He wiped his hand over his eyes and once again noticed the blood.

“C’mon babe, let’s go get your hand cleaned up.” Trey stood and urged him to his feet. “Then we can decide what to do.”

Mark let Trey lead him to the bathroom. He sat on the closed toilet lid when he was told to and watched, as though it was happening to someone else, as Trey used a wet cloth to clean the blood from his hand. He barely felt the sting when the antiseptic was poured over his split knuckles.

“We’ll need to wrap this, but do you want a shower first?” Trey brushed the hair off his forehead.

Mark nodded, shrugged, and then nodded again. He didn’t know, didn’t really care really. He just wanted to go to bed and pretend none of this was really happening.

“Okay, I’ll get the water started.” Trey brushed a light kiss over his lips and moved away.

Mark heard the shower start and then Trey was back. His socks were pulled off his feet and then Trey was urging him to stand and helping him out of his jeans and underwear. Mark didn’t have the energy to argue as he was led to the shower and helped in, Trey following after stripping out of his own clothes.

Trey didn’t talk to him, didn’t tell him everything was going to be okay, which Mark was grateful for. Instead, his boyfriend simply washed him. He let him know he wasn’t alone through Trey’s hands on his skin, his fingers massaging his scalp, and through the occasional press of lips to his shoulder. Mark didn’t know how long they’d been in there before Trey reached around him and shut the water off. He was encouraged to step out onto the bathmat and then a towel was rubbed over his skin.

Mark looked down, seeing Trey knelt down drying his legs and feet, and shame swamped him. Trey was taking care of him and he hadn’t even said thank you. He swallowed and forced the words out of his mouth, but they weren’t the ones he’d planned to say.

“I’m sorry.” He barely even recognized his own voice it was so hoarse from his earlier breakdown.

Trey dropped the towel clutched in his hands and stood, confusion causing his brow to wrinkle.

“For what?”

Mark shrugged. He didn’t know how to explain what he was feeling or what he was sorry for. Trey stepped closer until their chests were pressed together and looked into his eyes.

“You have nothing to be sorry for.” Trey laced their fingers together. “I just wish there was more I could do.”

“You’re doing exactly what I need.” Mark felt the tears welling up again. He leaned forward and pressed a brief kiss to Trey’s lips. “I probably need to go over to Jackie’s. I’m sure she’s a mess.”

Trey nodded. “I’m sure she is, but right now, I’m more worried about you.” He lifted Mark’s injured hand. “Let’s get this bandaged and then if you want to go over there we can.”

“You don’t have to—”

“You’re not going without me.” Trey led him out of the bathroom, grabbing the first-aid kit on their way. “I’m not letting you drive anywhere when you’re this upset.”

Mark nodded. Trey was probably right. The way he was feeling, he’d probably end up wrecking his truck and killing either himself or somebody else. He didn’t know how he’d gotten so lucky.

Too bad Trey was leaving.

Thank you to everyone for sticking with me to this point! I'd love to hear what you think, either via a review or in the discussion thread!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Losing a parent is always hard. Losing one whom you have been a bit estranged from and haven't talked to for while must be devastating. These poor guys really are thwarted at this point.

Renee, you made this old man cry again. Please let those be the last....pretty please!

Link to comment

Mark is heartbroken and Trey is absolutely adorable, such a perfect boyfriend and Mark will need him to get through everything, meeting his father and funeral.

Link to comment
On 08/23/2014 01:11 AM, Daddydavek said:
Losing a parent is always hard. Losing one whom you have been a bit estranged from and haven't talked to for while must be devastating. These poor guys really are thwarted at this point.

Renee, you made this old man cry again. Please let those be the last....pretty please!

I'm very lucky, both myself and my husband still have both of our parents. I definitely feel for Mark and Trey though. Mark having to go through losing his Mom and Trey knowing that he's going to have to leave him. It's going to be rough.

 

Regarding your request... I don't try to make my readers cry, I promise. It just tends to happen!! Thanks for the review DDK!

Link to comment
On 08/23/2014 01:40 AM, Suvitar said:
Mark is heartbroken and Trey is absolutely adorable, such a perfect boyfriend and Mark will need him to get through everything, meeting his father and funeral.
Unfortunately, and I'm not really giving anything away by saying this, Mark won't have Trey there with him. It's both a blessing and a curse considering his father has no idea he's gay. Mark needs him and I'm sure knowing he's leaving has to be tearing Trey up inside. Jackie will be there, but it was her mom too, at least she'll have Brent... Thanks for the review Suvitar!
Link to comment

How can I be both so happy and so sad at the same time??? Happy because of the update and sad because of the updates subject. Poor Mark. There are going to be some tough times ahead and his anchor will be on the other side of the world!! I need a hug :(

Link to comment

DDK is not alone. Thwarted is the perfect name for this story. Losing both my parents was its own special kind of hell, and Mark needs Trey with him and Trey needs to leave. Sometimes life really sucks and it gets in the way...Mark and Trey just have to endure...for our sakes...cheers...Gary

Link to comment

I read this chapter while I was lying in bed last night and I found myself unable to see the words b/c I was crying so much. My heart goes out to Mark right now. I wish I could just give him a hug.

 

I lost my dad at nineteen and my fifteen-year-old sister needed comforting, and my mom went off the deep end. It's a horrible thing losing a parent at any age, and as Daddy said, with Mark and his mom estranged it makes it harder. He will carry that guilt and regret with him forever that he didn't make up with her.

 

He's definitely going to need Trey now more than ever, but unfortunately Trey won't be there. He'll have Jackie and Brent, but Jackie does have her husband and she'll need her own comforting.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next.

Link to comment
On 08/23/2014 09:10 AM, LadyDe said:
How can I be both so happy and so sad at the same time??? Happy because of the update and sad because of the updates subject. Poor Mark. There are going to be some tough times ahead and his anchor will be on the other side of the world!! I need a hug :(
:hug: I know the feeling. I suppose in some aspects you have to look at it as, at least Trey was with him when he got the news. It won't make it easier that Trey is gone during what is to follow, but at least he was there at the onset. Thank you for the review!
Link to comment
On 08/23/2014 11:04 AM, Headstall said:
DDK is not alone. Thwarted is the perfect name for this story. Losing both my parents was its own special kind of hell, and Mark needs Trey with him and Trey needs to leave. Sometimes life really sucks and it gets in the way...Mark and Trey just have to endure...for our sakes...cheers...Gary
When I started this story, I knew SOME, but not all of what the guys would go through, and the name seemed fitting as it seemed like everything was set to try and keep them from being together. And yes, sometimes life really does suck. Now we just have to wait and see how the guys make it through this latest wrench. Thank you for the review, Gary!
Link to comment
On 08/24/2014 02:13 AM, Lisa said:
I read this chapter while I was lying in bed last night and I found myself unable to see the words b/c I was crying so much. My heart goes out to Mark right now. I wish I could just give him a hug.

 

I lost my dad at nineteen and my fifteen-year-old sister needed comforting, and my mom went off the deep end. It's a horrible thing losing a parent at any age, and as Daddy said, with Mark and his mom estranged it makes it harder. He will carry that guilt and regret with him forever that he didn't make up with her.

 

He's definitely going to need Trey now more than ever, but unfortunately Trey won't be there. He'll have Jackie and Brent, but Jackie does have her husband and she'll need her own comforting.

 

I'm looking forward to seeing what's going to happen next.

:hug: I guess the fact that I can bring out such strong emotions in my readers means that I have succeeded in making you care about the characters. That is something I always strive to do and I'm glad I've been able to do that with this story.

 

I'm lucky that I still have both of my parents and don't know what I'd do if I lost either one of them, though I am sure I'd be devastated, and we're not estranged like Mark is with his parents. I do agree with you that he'll regret not having made up with his mom, the question is what other feelings are going to manifest because of the guilt and regret.

 

Yes, Jackie with be there, and so will Brent, but he'll have his hands full with Jackie. Mark needs someone there for him, but like you said, Trey won't be there. He has to leave, he has no choice. I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters and thanks for the review!

Link to comment

You know, the crazy thing is as much of a blur time becomes when that news hits you, it is a moment in your life that you will always be able to remember with crystal clarity in the years to come.

 

I remember feeling like this when my dad died. I was a zombie, operating on some weird sort of auto pilot, doing the things I knew needed to be done, but not really knowing I was doing them, until after. Long after, in the quiet of the night when the moments come back to live with you in vivid technicolour.

I am kinda worried about Mark. It's only just dawned on him he is going to have to face this and deal with it without Trey at his side. I hope he's strong enough.

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 06:36 AM, Yettie One said:
You know, the crazy thing is as much of a blur time becomes when that news hits you, it is a moment in your life that you will always be able to remember with crystal clarity in the years to come.

 

I remember feeling like this when my dad died. I was a zombie, operating on some weird sort of auto pilot, doing the things I knew needed to be done, but not really knowing I was doing them, until after. Long after, in the quiet of the night when the moments come back to live with you in vivid technicolour.

I am kinda worried about Mark. It's only just dawned on him he is going to have to face this and deal with it without Trey at his side. I hope he's strong enough.

I definitely know what you mean. I can remember everything from when I found out my brother had died. I can look back now and just remember everything, from getting in our neighbors car (not knowing anything yet) and my other brother getting in the backseat with me, to driving to my Grandma's and my mom showing up there. I even remember us going to the hospital to say our good-byes. It was horrible, but I had my family surrounding me and they shared in my hurt and pain. Mark will need Trey, but Trey won't be able to be there. Add in seeing his father... The question is going to be how he handles it.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..