Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 36. Chapter Thirty-Six

Mark watched as Trey slid the key into the lock and let them into his apartment. He’d stayed at Jackie’s as long as he could bear, but there was only so much he could take. When the accusations had started he’d known he had to get out of there, before his sister had said something she’d regret later. Well, something else she’d regret.

“You okay?” Trey pushed the door open and stepped aside, allowing Mark to go first before following him in.

Mark shrugged.

“She was just hurting, she didn’t mean it, probably didn’t even know what she was saying.”

Mark felt Trey’s hand on his back, guiding him to the couch. He dutifully sat and looked up at his boyfriend as he tried to figure out what to say. Whether Jackie had meant to say it or not, she was right. If it hadn’t been for Jackie’s closeness with him, their father probably would have called her as soon as their mother had been admitted to the hospital. At least then Jackie would have had the chance to be by her side when the second heart attack hit and took her from them. Or so Jackie had claimed.

Mark wasn’t completely convinced their dad would have called her, but he couldn’t say he wouldn’t have either. He rested his head against the back of the couch and swallowed hard. He’d tried to comfort his sister, but she’d been inconsolable. Mark closed his eyes. He’d hoped they could be there for each other, but since he’d just seemed to make it worse, he’d left. His sister had Brent, she didn’t need him, and he had Trey, at least until morning. He hoped.

“What do you need me to do?” Trey’s hands dropped on his shoulders.

Mark opened his eyes. He hadn’t heard Trey move behind him. He didn’t know the answer to the other man’s question and decided to ask one of his own.

“Do you need to head back to the base?” He thought he remembered Trey saying he had until morning, but he couldn’t be sure.

“No, I don’t have to report until morning.” Trey squeezed his shoulders. “I wish there was a way I could get out of going.”

“You can’t, we both know that.” Mark shrugged.

He wanted Trey to stay too, but wanting him to stay wouldn’t change the facts. Trey was deploying, nothing he could say or do was going to change it. He pulled free of Trey’s grip and stood.

“Do you mind if I go lay down for a little bit? I’ve got a bit of a headache.” Not only did his head hurt, but his eyes hurt and he felt exhausted. He knew he should be making arrangements to go home for his mom’s funeral, but there wasn’t much for him to do. His dad wouldn’t welcome his interference, and according to Jackie, everything had already been done. All that was left for him to do was make hotel arrangements and drive down.

“You want company?”

“Sure, if you want.” Mark cringed and turned to Trey. He hadn’t meant for that to come out sounding like he didn’t want Trey with him. “I’m sorry, I know you’re just trying to help and I’m glad you’re here.”

“Quit apologizing.” Trey motioned towards the bedroom. “Go get in bed. I’ll grab you something for your headache and be right in.”

Mark nodded and did as he was told. He was in bed, clad in pajama bottoms, when Trey came in. He downed the pills Trey handed him using the water he supplied and watched as Trey stripped down to his boxer-briefs.

“Crap, I forgot my phone.” Mark started to get out of bed but Trey stopped him.

“I’ll grab it.” Trey disappeared and was back within seconds. He set Mark’s phone on the nightstand before crawling in behind him.

Mark bit his lip to keep in the sob when Trey’s arms wrapped around him and pulled him back against his chest. He’d thought he was all cried out, but apparently he was wrong. He felt the first tears trickle down his cheeks as Trey’s grip tightened and he felt lips press to his neck.

“Try and get some rest, but when you get up you are going to eat something.”

Mark couldn’t speak past the lump in his throat and simply nodded. He wasn’t hungry but he doubted Trey would accept that. Mark relaxed against Trey. He would worry about it later, after he had a bit of a nap.

***

Mark sat up and ran his hand over his face. Trey must have been up for a while; the bed next to him was empty and cold. For all he knew, Trey may have only stayed with him long enough for him to fall asleep. Mark swung his legs over the side of the bed and stood. He could hear Trey in the living room and grabbed a fresh shirt from his closet before going out to join him.

“Hey.” Mark stopped when he saw Trey on the phone and grimaced as he mouthed an apology. Trey shook his head and smiled.

“Mark just woke up so I’ll let you go.” Trey paused. “Love you too.” Trey hung up the phone and stood. He walked over and wrapped his arms around Trey. “Hey babe, you sleep okay?”

“Yeah.” Mark glanced at the clock on the stove. He’d slept just over four hours. “I didn’t mean to sleep so long.”

“You needed it.”

“Who was on the phone?” Mark pressed a light kiss to Trey’s lips before pulling back slightly.

“My mom.”

Mark tried not to wince. He could see the apology in Trey’s eyes and hear it in his voice. The last thing he wanted was Trey to feel guilty for talking to his mom. Mark managed a small smile.

“How’s she doing?”

“Okay, she was actually calling to check on you.” Trey took his hand and led him over to the couch. “I told her about your mom when I checked in with her earlier. She wanted to make sure you were doing okay.”

“I hope you told her I was fine.” It was bad enough Trey was going to be worrying about him; he didn’t need anyone else to be.

“Are you really?” Trey cocked his head to the side.

“I will be.” Mark squeezed Trey’s hand, trying to reassure him. “I know you’re worried about me, but I really will be okay.”

“I wish I could believe that.” Trey glanced away.

Before Mark could answer, someone knocked on the door. He looked over at Trey.

“I’m not expecting anyone.”

“Huh.” Mark stood and made his way over to the door. He glanced through the peephole and froze. He glanced briefly at Trey before reaching for the doorknob and pulling the door open to admit his unexpected visitors.

“Diane, Gary, what are you doing here?”

So, was the ending what you were expecting? Was Diane and Gary showing up a surprise? Would love to hear your thoughts about this chapter. You can leave a review, join in the discussion, or even PM me if you'd like. No matter how you do it, I'd love to hear from you!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Hopefully Jackie´s attitude won´t last for long. How could it be Mark´s fault how their father behaves? Diane and Gary are so sweet. They know how much Mark means to Trey and they love him too, so of course they want to be there for Mark. Just like Mark promised to be there for them when Trey´s away.

Lovely chapter!

Link to comment

sorry renee, im a huge fan of the story. but the inconsistency of chapters is frustrating. i dont

remember who diane and gary are?

Link to comment

The reality of their situation sucks, but Trey did the only thing he could...he has to leave but he won't be leaving Mark alone. Mark will have "family" with him to face this, and his sister will eventually come around. What a wonderful sweet thing for Trey and his parents to do.It is a further indication that what they feel is strong enough to get them through the separation. Great chapter Renee...more please, and hurry :P . Cheers and thanks..Gary

Link to comment
On 08/26/2014 01:32 PM, Suvitar said:
Hopefully Jackie´s attitude won´t last for long. How could it be Mark´s fault how their father behaves? Diane and Gary are so sweet. They know how much Mark means to Trey and they love him too, so of course they want to be there for Mark. Just like Mark promised to be there for them when Trey´s away.

Lovely chapter!

Thank you Suvitar! I had the same thought as you, how could it be Mark's fault, but then it clicked. People who are grieving don't always think rationally and right now, Jackie just needs someone to blame. Mark is there, plus, who knows exactly what their father said to her when he called.

 

As for Diane and Gary, I have to admit that the idea for them showing up came to me from some of my own recent experience. When my husband's grandmother passed away, my parents showed up at the services and so did my aunt and my grandma. My husband couldn't believe it and asked me later why they'd come, they didn't really know her. He knows my family loves him to pieces, but he couldn't comprehend that they were there solely in support of him. While it's a bit different in the story, considering it's Mark's mom, I wanted to show that same level of support and acceptance.

Link to comment
On 08/26/2014 10:46 PM, arey said:
sorry renee, im a huge fan of the story. but the inconsistency of chapters is frustrating. i dont

remember who diane and gary are?

Thank you for the review Arey! I'm glad you're a fan of the stories and I'd love to know what types of inconsistencies you've seen in the chapters. If you'd like, feel free to PM me or you can even email me at renee@gayauthors.org! As far as Gary and Diane, they are Trey's parents. They were present for a few chapters and we left them just a couple of chapters ago. Thanks again for the review and I hope to hear from you again!
Link to comment
On 08/27/2014 01:19 AM, Headstall said:
The reality of their situation sucks, but Trey did the only thing he could...he has to leave but he won't be leaving Mark alone. Mark will have "family" with him to face this, and his sister will eventually come around. What a wonderful sweet thing for Trey and his parents to do.It is a further indication that what they feel is strong enough to get them through the separation. Great chapter Renee...more please, and hurry :P . Cheers and thanks..Gary
Thanks for the review Headstall. It does suck for them and it's certainly got to be tearing Trey apart to have to leave when Mark needs him. It will be good for him to know that even though he can't be there, his parents will be. I'm glad that you're still enjoying the story!!
Link to comment

Diane and Gary were a surprise, especially as their son just got off the phone with them before they arrived.

More please!

Link to comment

Trey is a godsend and so are his parents. As Gary said above, Trey's parents are there to support him as only family can do.

 

And yes, in times of extreme sadness when we can't find anyone to blame we think of things other people might have done that would cause whatever happened to happen. Hopefully as time passes, Jackie will realize how she acted - maybe Brent will fill her in, and she'll apologize to Mark. I know she won't want any rift in their relationship.

 

Great chapter, Renee! The next chapter is going to be so sad with Trey leaving. Hey, at least his folks get to see him for a little while longer. :)

Link to comment

Great chapter!! So glad Diane and Gary showed up. Now Trey will know that Mark has someone with him who loves him. I just hope Trey remembers his job duties and doesn't make any stupid mistakes because he was distracted with Mark. Update soon. Thanks Renee.

Link to comment
On 08/27/2014 04:23 AM, Daddydavek said:
Diane and Gary were a surprise, especially as their son just got off the phone with them before they arrived.

More please!

I had to do something! As for Trey having just got off the phone with them... They had to get his address somehow, lol. Thanks for the review DDK!
Link to comment
On 08/27/2014 06:50 AM, Lisa said:
Trey is a godsend and so are his parents. As Gary said above, Trey's parents are there to support him as only family can do.

 

And yes, in times of extreme sadness when we can't find anyone to blame we think of things other people might have done that would cause whatever happened to happen. Hopefully as time passes, Jackie will realize how she acted - maybe Brent will fill her in, and she'll apologize to Mark. I know she won't want any rift in their relationship.

 

Great chapter, Renee! The next chapter is going to be so sad with Trey leaving. Hey, at least his folks get to see him for a little while longer. :)

I wish I could give Trey the credit for his parents showing up, but unfortunately, that's all on Gary and Diane. I'm sure part of it is just knowing how much it was tearing Trey up knowing he was going to have to leave, but the other part is exactly what they said, Mark is essentially already their son-in-law, which makes him family. He needs them, so they'll be there.

 

I can't say too much about Jackie without giving some of the later stuff away, so that's something you'll have to wait and see later.

 

I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter and thank you for the review!

Link to comment
On 08/27/2014 12:31 PM, LadyDe said:
Great chapter!! So glad Diane and Gary showed up. Now Trey will know that Mark has someone with him who loves him. I just hope Trey remembers his job duties and doesn't make any stupid mistakes because he was distracted with Mark. Update soon. Thanks Renee.
Thank you LadeDe! Gary and Diane being there will definitely make it easier, though not easy, for Trey to do what he has to. Doubtless he'll still be worried about Mark,but at least he'll be able to leave knowing that Mark will have somebody with him.
Link to comment

Erm nope, not the ending I expected at all.

To be fair, I was kind of wondering how you were going to move things along, as I could kind of sense that Trey would be proper uncomfortable about leaving Mark in his present state of mind, and who better to call right?

He's a wise one, and seems to be one hell of a catch. :)

I'm glad for this development, even though it comes at a real trying time for the two boys.

Link to comment
On 09/12/2014 06:44 AM, Yettie One said:
Erm nope, not the ending I expected at all.

To be fair, I was kind of wondering how you were going to move things along, as I could kind of sense that Trey would be proper uncomfortable about leaving Mark in his present state of mind, and who better to call right?

He's a wise one, and seems to be one hell of a catch. :)

I'm glad for this development, even though it comes at a real trying time for the two boys.

You know me, I have to throw in the unexpected from time to time. Mark is doing his best to assure Trey that he is fine, but it kind of sounds like a case of protesting too much". Thanks for the review!!!
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..