Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 46. Chapter Forty-Six

“Are you sure you’re okay with this?” Brent tossed his bag in the car and picked up Mark’s.

“Not like I have a choice, right?” It went against everything in him not to go to his mom’s memorial service, but.... “I can’t risk jail. Trey will need me while he’s gone. Even if it’s through emails, phone calls, and maybe web chats.”

“I’m sorry, Mark. I don’t know how it came to this point.” Brent finished loading their luggage and shut the trunk.

“How could you?” Mark shifted Matthew in his arms and pulled Brent into a hug. “Don’t beat yourself up for what she’s done. I don’t know what happened with her, but I do know it wasn’t anything you did. It couldn’t be.”

“I wish I could be as sure.” Brent lifted Matthew out of Mark’s arms and put him in the car seat.

Mark climbed into the passenger seat while his nephew was secured. He wanted to reassure Brent, but doubted anything he said would get through to him. He had to be missing something. He just wasn’t sure what.

“You ready?” Brent settled behind the steering wheel and buckled his seatbelt.

“Yeah, let’s get out of here. Before I change my mind and do something I probably shouldn’t.” Mark watched out the window as Brent started the car and headed out of the hotel parking lot. Gary and Diane had left ahead of them, seemingly understanding Mark’s need to ride back with Brent. He thought again about the offer Trey had relayed to him and turned in his seat to face Brent. “Hey, what would you think about getting away for a couple of weeks?”

“Seriously?” Brent glanced briefly at him before once again watching the road. “It’s a great thought, but don’t think I can manage it right now.”

“How so?” The more Mark thought about it, the more he liked the idea of the peace and quiet. “Work?”

“No, I have some vacation time, and I’m going to need to take it anyways. I need to figure out what I’m going to do with Matthew while I’m at work.” Brent’s knuckles turned white where he gripped the steering wheel. “Secondly, Jackie cleaned out our account.”

“You’ve got to be shitting me. When?”

“This morning, apparently.” Brent gritted his teeth. “When I went to fill the car, I ended up having to use my credit card because my bank card was declined. I called the bank and was told that it was withdrawn this morning.” Brent looked over and shrugged. “Don’t worry, I’ll figure something out.”

“What if I told you that the trip wouldn’t cost you anything?”

Brent snorted. “Nothing is free.”

“This is. Trey’s parents invited us to go up to their place. Not just to relax, but so I can start fixing up the cabin Trey and I plan to live in. You wouldn’t have to help with the cabin, but it would give you some time away and I’m sure Diane would be happy to watch Matthew some of the time so that you could work on figuring out what to do.”

“I don’t want to impose.” Brent shook his head. “You should go though.”

“C’mon, you don’t seriously think I’d leave you to deal with all of this shit on your own, do you?” Mark scowled at his brother-in-law. Brent could be stubborn at times, but so could he. “Regardless of whether we go up north or not, you’re not getting rid of me that easily.”

“This isn’t your problem.”

Mark glanced at the back seat, relieved to see Matthew was already asleep. He crossed his arms over his chest and glared at Brent. “Jackie turned on both of us. Yes, it’s harder on you because she’s your wife and the mother of your son, but that’s why I think you need to get away. I really think it would be good for you to go where there are no memories associated with my sister.”

Brent nodded. “Possibly. Even if I went with you, I can’t contribute much of anything. That’s not fair to you, or Trey’s parents.”

“If you feel that strongly about it, we’ll figure something out.”

“You’re not going to give up, are you?” Brent loosened his grip on the steering wheel and his shoulders were slumped.

“No. I wouldn’t push you if I didn’t think it would do you some good to get away.” Mark smiled. “Where else are you going to find someone to watch Matthew to give you some time to yourself?”

“I’ll think about it, but that’s all I can promise.”

“That’s all I’m asking.” As much as he wished Brent would instantly agree to go, Mark knew it wasn’t feasible. Brent’s entire world seemed to be falling apart and there were things he was going to have to take care of before he could make any decisions. Even one as simple as going on vacation. Mark sighed. Nothing would be simple for his brother-in-law for the near future and there was only so much he could do.

They were an hour from home when Matthew woke and made his displeasure known.

“He probably needs changed.” Brent huffed out a breath. “There’s a truck stop about five miles up. I’ll pull off there and change Matthew. We can use the time to stretch and get something to eat, if you’re hungry.”

“Works for me.” Mark turned in his seat and played with his nephew’s feet, trying to keep him somewhat happy until they could stop. Nothing he did quieted him and he wanted to cheer when the car started slowing down.

Within minutes, Brent pulled into a parking spot. Mark grabbed the diaper bag while Brent unbuckled Matthew and lifted him into his arms. He reached out for the diaper bag.

“I’ll go get him changed if you want to get us a table.”

“Sounds good.” Mark followed Brent in, only separating once Brent headed for the bathrooms. The truck stop restaurant was fairly empty and he picked a booth in the corner. He glanced around while he waited and spotted the high chairs set against one wall, out of the way. He slipped back out of the booth and grabbed one, just as Brent walked up with Matthew. Brent slid into the booth and looked over at him.

“If you’re sure you want us to go with you, and you can give me a day or two to get things sorted, we’ll go with you to Trey’s parents.”

Mark nodded. He debated asking what had changed Brent’s mind, but it didn’t really matter. He’d call Gary and Diane when he got home and make sure the invitation was still open. He didn’t see why it wouldn’t be, but it was better safe than sorry. Turned out he didn’t need to ask, Brent offered up the information.

“Jackie called while I was changing Matthew. She’ll be driving up to get her stuff.” Brent met his gaze. “I don’t want to be there when she shows up.”

“I don’t blame you.” Mark made a mental note to change the locks on his apartment. Not for the first time, he regretted giving his sister a key. “You can bring anything you want to keep safe to my apartment.”

“At this point, I don’t care. She can take whatever she wants.” Brent dropped his gaze to the table and bounced Matthew on his knee. “Well, most anything she wants. I won’t let her take Matthew.”

“I thought she said she didn’t want him.” Mark frowned. He wasn’t sure he believed anything Jackie said anymore. He didn’t know the person she’d become and he wasn’t certain that Jackie wouldn’t try to take Matthew just to hurt Brent.

Brent shook his head and when he looked up again, Mark could see the determination in his brother-in-laws eyes. “I’m not willing to take that chance.”

“When do you want to leave?”

Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Yay! So good to catch up again. What Brent is facing is heartbreaking, but at least he has Mark, and Matthew. They will help each others' minds of of Jackie and Trey. The cabiin is a great place to retreat to. Thanks for posting this new chapter, Renee... it made my day... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

Thanks so much for the update! I love that Mark and Brent are banding together against (evil) Jackie. Looking forward to more (hopefully soon).

Link to comment

I'm so happy to catch up with this story again. I've missed it. Mark is a good dad. I wish I could say that Matthew has two good parents, but Jackie is being very selfish for some inexplicable reason. I wonder if there is more to her story than we realize?

Link to comment

Great idea Mark has taking Brent and Matthew with him up to Trey's parents cabin. Brent needs a change of scenery.

 

I don't understand what's happened to Jackie; she's gone totally crazy.

Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 01:53 PM, Daddydavek said:

Jackie is deplorable and getting worse....I wouldn't trust her about anything.

You and me both DDK! Thanks for reading and commenting!

Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 05:22 AM, Suvitar said:

New chapter, that's wonderful

Isn't it though? I'm hoping things stay settled down for a while so I can post regularly again. Thanks for reading!!!

Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 07:18 AM, Headstall said:

Yay! So good to catch up again. What Brent is facing is heartbreaking, but at least he has Mark, and Matthew. They will help each others' minds of of Jackie and Trey. The cabiin is a great place to retreat to. Thanks for posting this new chapter, Renee... it made my day... cheers... Gary...

Thanks for the review, Gary! I'm glad you enjoyed catching up with the guys again. Hopefully I'll be able to post this story on a regular basis again, I'm definitely trying to. I agree that going to the cabin is their best plan. They need to just get away for a bit. Glad you enjoyed it :)

Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 09:50 AM, impunity said:

Thanks so much for the update! I love that Mark and Brent are banding together against (evil) Jackie. Looking forward to more (hopefully soon).

You are most welcome! Thanks for reviewing. I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter and don't worry, more is coming later today (Nov 11th). Hope you enjoy it!

Link to comment
On 11/05/2015 01:39 PM, LitLover said:

I'm so happy to catch up with this story again. I've missed it. Mark is a good dad. I wish I could say that Matthew has two good parents, but Jackie is being very selfish for some inexplicable reason. I wonder if there is more to her story than we realize?

Honestly, I've missed writing it. It's good to get back to it. I do think however that you got the Dad confused. Completely understandable with all the delays lately, lol, but regardless, Brent is a great day, and Jackie is just.... well, I don't know if there's an adequate word for her right now. Thanks for the review and I hope you continue to enjoy the story!

Link to comment
On 11/06/2015 05:32 AM, Lisa said:

Great idea Mark has taking Brent and Matthew with him up to Trey's parents cabin. Brent needs a change of scenery.

 

I don't understand what's happened to Jackie; she's gone totally crazy.

The cabin seemed like a good place for them to get away. As far as Jackie... has she gone crazy, or was she just really good at hiding her craziness... Guess we'll have to find out later. Thanks for reading and for the review, Lisa!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..