Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 47. Chapter Forty-Seven

It ended up being nearly a week before they finally pulled up to Trey’s parents place. Mark had spoken to them off and on throughout the week, the first time was when Trey had called to let Diane and Gary know he’d arrived safe. They’d called Mark as soon as they got off the phone with Trey to let him know they’d heard from him.

Mark had been mildly envious that Trey hadn’t called him, but he got over it quickly. They were his parents, but it still sucked. That first phone call was always so brief that there wasn’t time enough to say much more than ‘I’m here’. There would be other phone calls and he had little doubt that Trey would call him as well. Plus they’d have video calls, which were even better than phone calls because he’d be able to not only talk to Trey, but see him as well.

“Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.” Diane and Gary had been waiting for them. Diane gave Mark a brief, albeit distracted, hug, but wasted no time in reaching out for Matthew. Brent glanced briefly at Mark and then handed the baby over.

Mark didn’t blame him for his indecision. It had been a week from hell.

“Thank you so much for letting me come with Mark.” Brent smiled at both Diane and Gary, but Mark could see it was forced.

“It’s no problem at all.” Gary shook his head and they all watched as Diane headed for the house with Matthew. “Honestly, I think Diane has been dying to get her hands on the baby.” Gary faced Mark. “Diane put you back in Trey’s old room, and”—he turned to Brent—“you’re in the room right next to Mark.”

“Thanks, Dad.” It felt weird, yet right, to call Gary by the honorific, especially after Gary had lit into Mark’s father. Mark motioned for Brent to follow him. “We’ll drop our stuff off in the rooms and be right back down.”

“Take your time. I’m sure Diane will be occupied for a bit.” Gary grinned, waved them off, and then headed for the kitchen.

“I thought we were going to stay in a cabin.” Brent trailed after him up the stairs.

“I thought so too, but apparently not.” Mark shrugged. “I’ll find out what’s going on later. Don’t worry, Gary and Diane are good about giving people their space—most of the time.”

“It’s not that.” Brent followed him into Trey’s old bedroom. “I just hate to put them out.”

“It’ll be fine.” Mark set his bag on the bed and turned to Brent. “Honestly, I think they get a bit lonely and I know that Gary is looking forward to going out on the lake. If you’re feeling up to it, one day I really need to take them to pick out a new computer.” Mark shrugged. “But you could stay here and unwind if you’d rather.” Brent kept more up to date on electronics, but Mark didn’t want him to feel like he had to, or that it was the only reason he’d been invited. Mark led the way out of his room and to the one next door.

“I’d be happy to help. I’ll just need to figure out what they’re looking for.” Brent set his bag in front of the dresser and sat on the edge of the bed, his hands clasped together and his head bowed. “It’s the least I can do to pay them back for letting me come up here.”

“Brent, you don’t have to pay them back. They don’t expect anything for letting you stay here. Besides, not only do they get company, but I think it will help them to keep from dwelling on Trey being gone.” Too bad it wasn’t doing the same thing thing for him. Staying in Trey’s old room only made him wonder how Trey was doing.

Mark sat next to Brent and placed a hand on his shoulder. “Just try to relax and take this opportunity to decide what you want to do.” Mark stood and headed for the door. He stopped and glanced back at Brent. “I’ll leave you to get settled in and go see what’s going on with Gary and Diane. Come down when you’re ready.”

“Thanks, Mark.” Brent lifted his head and gave him a small smile.

“No problem.”

Mark figured the best place to start looking for his in-laws was the kitchen and headed there. He wasn’t really surprised that Gary and Diane wanted him and Brent to stay at the house. It served multiple purposes and was probably the best choice. Now if Trey called, they’d all get to talk to him. There were certain benefits to not being far away from Trey’s parents, and for Trey’s parents not to be far from him.

He found Diane in the kitchen, just as he thought, but no sign of Gary. Mark pulled out one of the chairs surrounding the table and sat down.

“That boy is barely holding it together.” Diane bounced Matthew on her knee.

“Boy? He’s older than me.”

“You’re all boys.” Diane grinned. “Seriously, how are things going?”

Mark shrugged. “Jackie wasted no time and any doubt is gone.” He wasn’t going to go into detail, but he figured it wouldn’t hurt to tell Diane at least a little bit. “Brent was served with divorce papers a couple of days ago. I’m assuming she’s had it in the works for a while, considering how quick everything happened after Mom’s memorial service. ”

Diane looked down at the baby in her arms. “She’s not trying to take the baby, is she?”

“No.”

Mark hadn’t heard Brent come down the stairs and turned at the sound of his voice.

Brent walked over to Diane and held out his hands for Matthew. Diane handed him over without a fuss and looked up at Brent’s face.

Brent pulled out a chair and sat. He stared down at his son. “She’s willing to sign over all rights to Matthew”—he looked at Mark—“as long as I sell everything and give her over half.”

“She’s giving him up for money?” Mark shoved his chair back and stood. Brent hadn’t told him that part. He stalked a few paces away and whirled around to face Brent and Diane. “Are you fucking serious?”

“Language.” It was Diane who scolded him. “I know you’re angry, but—”

“Yes, I am angry!” Mark curled his fingers into fists. “She’s selling him.”

Brent stood. “Then what does that say about me, Mark? Yes, she wants money to give up her parental rights, but I’m going to give it to her.” Brent handed Matthew back to Diane and walked over. “I’m essentially buying him, so how does that make me any better than her?”

“It’s not the same thing.” It wasn’t. Brent was only doing what he had to do in order to keep Matthew. “You could take her to court.”

“And risk losing my son. That’s not a risk I’m willing to take.” He stared at Mark. “Besides, she might be his mother, but there’s no way I’m letting her or your father within touching distance of my son. I’ll sell everything, it’s only things, and give her whatever she wants. All I care about is being able to take care of Matthew. It’s not like Washington isn’t a community property state anyways.”

“And what if she changes her mind? What if you give her what she wants and she doesn’t sign the paperwork?” Mark looked to Diane for help, but she was gone. He’d been so focused on his brother-in-law that he hadn’t even realized she’d left. It was probably for the best, Matthew didn’t need to hear what was being said, even if he wasn’t old enough to understand any of it.

“I was hoping for your help with that.” Brent moved past Mark and headed for the front door. He opened it and glanced back at Mark. “I feel the need for a walk, you coming?”

Mark nodded. He shoved his hands in his pockets and followed Brent out. He’d help however Brent needed him to. He just wished he knew what had happened to the sister he’d known.

Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a snake that Jackie is!!! Selling the rights to her son for money! Brent is NOTHING like her; he doesn't see himself as having any choice. I don't know, I think taking her to court is a good idea. What jury in the world would give her custody of Matthew? What a bitch!

Link to comment

Yeah, I couldn't wait for the next chapter to read two at once. I don't get why Brent would think he was just as bad as Jackie for 'buying' Matthew. That shows me what a mess Brent is. He must be reeling from all this. I wouldn't go to court either... you can never tell what could happen, but I wouldn't trust Jackie to keep her word. Poor Mark... waiting to hear Trey's voice... his whole world is in turmoil. Great chapter, Renee... the next one should be soon, right? LOL. Cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 11/12/2015 01:24 PM, Lisa said:

What a snake that Jackie is!!! Selling the rights to her son for money! Brent is NOTHING like her; he doesn't see himself as having any choice. I don't know, I think taking her to court is a good idea. What jury in the world would give her custody of Matthew? What a bitch!

Thanks for the review, Lisa! I definitely agree with you on Jackie being a snake and that Brent is nothing like her. However, taking her to court for custody is a crapshoot. Custody cases such as this, at least that I've seen, isn't a jury trial, the decision is made solely by the judge. It's unfortunate, but there's no guarantee the judge would find in Brent's favor. I've seen people who fight for custody, where it's clear what is in the best interests of the kids, but the judge still goes in favor of the mom.

Link to comment
On 12/06/2015 07:56 AM, Headstall said:

Yeah, I couldn't wait for the next chapter to read two at once. I don't get why Brent would think he was just as bad as Jackie for 'buying' Matthew. That shows me what a mess Brent is. He must be reeling from all this. I wouldn't go to court either... you can never tell what could happen, but I wouldn't trust Jackie to keep her word. Poor Mark... waiting to hear Trey's voice... his whole world is in turmoil. Great chapter, Renee... the next one should be soon, right? LOL. Cheers... Gary...

Thanks for the review, Gary!

 

Brent is definitely a mess and in some ways not really thinking clearly. I agree that going to court could end up in disaster. Only time will tell how the entire situation will play out. As for Mark, hopefully things get better for him and Trey as well.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..