Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 48. Chapter Forty-Eight

“So, what’s your plan?” Mark would do anything he could to help Brent.

“At this point, I don’t trust Jackie any more than you do.” Brent kicked at a rock, stopped, and turned to face Mark. “You’re right. It’s entirely possible that I’ll give her what she wants, and she’ll take Matthew and run. I’m not planning on giving her that opportunity.”

“How are you going to stop her? She’s his mom. You try to keep her from him and I don’t doubt she’ll bring the law into it.” Mark couldn’t believe what he was saying. He’d always thought Jackie was his staunchest supporter and would always be there. He had never expected her recent behavior. He just wished he knew what had changed.

“She’d have to find Matthew in order to take him.” Brent started walking again and Mark followed.

“You’re going to hide him? How?” Mark felt lost. “You can’t be in hiding with him while you’re dealing with the paperwork.”

“I can’t, but you can.” Brent walked over to a fallen log and sat. He clutched his hands together between his knees and looked up at Mark. “I know it’s a lot to ask, and I’ll pay for everything, but when the time comes, I’d like for you to take Matthew and go. I’ll give you cash to pay for everything, and I’ll even buy a couple of throwaway phones so that we can keep in contact.” Brent looked around him. “You can even keep him up here if you want. If it goes tits up, I can call you and you can get him out of here.”

Mark raked his fingers through his hair and walked over to sit next to Brent. “Do you really think it will come to that?”

“I don’t know. A couple weeks ago, I’d have said no, but if the last week has proved anything to me, it’s that I never knew Jackie like I thought I did.” Brent shuddered his head. “The way she’s acting and the stuff she said to you. I honestly never knew she had it in her.”

“You and me both.” Mark could hear the depression in Brent’s voice and turned slightly on the log. He put a hand on Brent’s shoulder and waited for him to look up. “I’ll do whatever you need me to do.” He dropped his hand to his lap and looked out at the trees surrounding them. “It feels weird to be plotting against my sister. I keep thinking maybe all of this is just a fluke, brought on by our mom’s death.” If he hadn’t been watching Brent, he might have missed the wince following his words. “What?”

Brent took a deep breath. “It’s not a fluke.” He stood, walked a few feet away, and turned back to Mark. “I talked to Jackie after she sent me the divorce papers.”

“You didn’t say anything.” Mark suspected he wasn’t going to like whatever Brent had kept from him. “I thought you’d just gotten the papers.”

Brent shrugged. “I wasn’t sure what to say. I got her mad enough that I now know why your mom refused to allow her in the house.”

“Okay….”

“Your mom found out that Jackie had been spying on you for your dad.” Brent seemed to wither in front of Mark’s eyes. “Your dad figured there was more to you leaving the military than what you said, and he wanted to know what it was.”

“That doesn’t make sense.” Mark thought back to the scene when his dad found out he was gay. “When Jackie dropped the bombshell of me being gay, he was too surprised to have already known.”

“Jackie didn’t tell him. That was her ace in the hole, and she’d figured she could use it to blackmail you later on.” Brent started walking again and Mark followed. He didn’t know what else to do. Brent refused to look at him as he continued. “Your mom found out and apparently was furious. She couldn’t stop the way your father was acting, but she didn’t want Jackie making it worse.”

“Why would she tell you all of this now?” It made no sense. With Jackie’s recent behavior, he didn’t see her volunteering the information.

“I’d hoped to get answers for you, but when she actually admitted everything, I wasn’t sure how to tell you.” Brent shoved his hands in his pockets. “I’d already read through the papers, and told her I’d agree to all of it, but that I wanted to know why she’d suddenly turned on both of us.” Brent glanced at him and Mark wished he could erase the haunted look. “I’d have agreed anyways, just to keep Matthew out of her grasp, but I had to try to find out more. I think she only agreed because she knew it would hurt you.”

“How did you play into all of this?” Mark didn’t know why his sister hated him so bad, and he probably never would. It was easier not to focus on it.

“She originally married me, planning to stay married long enough to qualify for alimony, and then get divorced. When you left the military, apparently it became all part of her and your dad’s game. Stay married to me so that you’d believe she cut ties with him. It made it easier for her to keep tabs on you.” Brent tensed. “The only part that wasn’t in her plans was to get pregnant with Matthew. I didn’t know, but she claims she was on birth control to prevent any pregnancies. The birth control failed, and I found out about the pregnancy before she could get an abortion.” Brent stopped and whirled to face him. “She wanted to get rid of him, pretend he never existed. She knew I wouldn’t consent to the abortion and in the end was forced to play the part of loving wife and mother. At least until your mother died.”

Mark didn’t have words. He’d never expected his sister to be capable of so much subterfuge, but he didn’t doubt for a second that Brent was being completely honest with him. To hear that his sister had been merely playing a part was devastating. With how he felt, he couldn’t imagine what Brent was going through.

“I know I should have told you right after she called, but I didn’t know how.”

Mark nodded. While he might not understand Jackie’s behavior, he could understand the turmoil Brent had to have faced. Not about his and Matthews part in all of it, he’d never be able to grasp the reasoning for that, but in being the one to have to tell Mark. At least he knew, and could make decisions that he struggled with before.

“Let me know when you’re meeting her to sign everything. As long as Gary and Diane don’t have a problem with it, I’ll bring Matthew back up here until I hear from you.” Mark didn’t know about Brent, but he could do with a hug. He reached out and pulled Brent close. “We won’t let her take Matthew, whatever it takes.”

***

Mark stared at his laptop. He wanted to send Trey and email, but wasn’t sure what all to include. As much as he wanted to let him know exactly what was going on, he didn’t want Trey worrying. He needed to concentrate on coming back home in one piece. At the same time, Mark knew Trey would have even more anxiety if he tried to play it that everything was fine. No matter how he played it, he’d be in the wrong. At least to himself. He was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t. Finally, he clenched and released his fingers a couple of times and placed them over the keyboard.

Hey T,

Mom told me you made it safely. Wish I’d already been here so I could talk to you, but I know how short those first phone calls are. I hope things are going okay for you over there. I know how bad it can get and can only hope that there’s not much fighting where you are. More than anything else, I just want you to stay safe and come back home.

Things here are going about as expected. Brent got the divorce papers already, which just tells me that Jackie has been planning this for while. Based on what Brent told me tonight, divorcing him was always her plan. Not sure how she could do that to him, but I doubt I’ll ever understand the things she’s decided to do. I guess the bright side to all of this, if you can call it a bright side, is that I finally know why Jackie did what she did. She never supported me, even when she was pretending to. She was spying on me for our father, the entire time. I’m still not really sure what to think about all of it, but at least now I know.

In other news, Brent finally agreed to go with me to your parents’ place. We got here earlier today and Mom instantly stole Matthew from Brent, but I’m sure that doesn’t surprise you much. She’s completely enamored with him. It’s good though, because it gives Brent a break to try and relax. We still need to go get a new computer for Mom and Dad. We’ll probably do that tomorrow. Not sure if all of us will go or if Mom will stay here with Matthew. Guess we’ll have to see. I’ll let you know when I get both of them set up with Skype so that you’ll have their user names.

Anyways, that’s about all that’s going on here. I suspect we’ll be sending out your first care package in the next few days, so if there’s anything you need/want, just let me know and I’ll do my damnedest to include it. It’s amazing how much I already miss you. It seriously feels like I’ve had a fucking arm or leg severed (btw, please keep all your parts attached to your body!). Hopefully we’ll get to talk soon.

Love You,

M

Mark read over the email before hitting send. It gave Trey the basic rundown on what was going on, but without out the nitty gritty details. He glanced at the clock. It was nearly ten, which meant it was close to ten thirty in the morning for Trey. He wished he knew when Trey would possibly be able to be on, but he’d wait. Hopefully Trey would email him back soon with a possible time when he could talk. If it was the same as when he was overseas, Trey would always have mornings or always have evenings, at least for a while. His Skype was already on, just in case and he planned to leave it on all night. Luckily he was a light sleeper and if Trey signed on and messaged, he’d wake up and they could talk. He waited another half hour before exhaustion claimed him. Mark turned the volume up, just to be safe, and crawled into bed.

***

Two days later, the pinging of his laptop made him bolt upright in bed. He scrambled for the computer and felt relief course through him at the sight of Trey’s name lit up with his picture.

Trey: I know you’re probably sleeping, but figured I’d try. Guess you’re asleep.

Mark scrambled to reply before Trey got offline.

Mark: I’m here.

Mark glanced at the clock. Five twenty-two in the morning. He waited impatiently and finally those words came up that Trey was typing. He hadn’t missed him.

Trey: Hey, sorry if I woke you.

Mark: It’s fine, I’d rather talk to you than sleep anyways. Why do you think my Skype was still on? Can you do video calls?

It took a minute, but the call finally came through and he smiled at the vision in front of him. Trey. He looked exhausted, but okay.

“Hey.” Trey glanced over his shoulder, a clue that he wasn’t alone. Mark understood the way it was and knew they’d have to watch what they both said.

“Damn, you look exhausted.”

“Yeah, the time change is still fucking killing me.” Trey propped his head on his hand. “I got your emails.”

Mark nodded. He’d sent another one with Trey’s parents’ Skype info.

“I hate to say it, but your sister is really screwed up.” Trey shook his head. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah. It sucks, but at least now I know. That’s what was driving me insane, not knowing what made her change.” He shrugged. “At least now I know that it was all an act. She always was good in the drama program. Guess she finally found a use for it.”

“Still, that’s all kinds of fucked up.”

“I’m more interested in how you’re doing.” Mark hoped it was just being tired that caused the bags under Trey’s eyes.

“I’m okay.” He didn’t look it. “Between the time change and mortar attacks, it feels like I never sleep. And when I do, the sirens go off for another attack.”

“Anybody been hurt?” Screw everybody else, Mark wanted to know about Trey.

“Minor injuries, but I’ve been lucky so far.” Trey smiled, but it was a small one. “How’s everyone there? Mom and Dad? Brent and Matthew?”

“Brent is doing as well as can be expected. Mom and Dad have been great. We’ll be going out on the boat tomorrow.” Mark glanced guiltily at the door. “Speaking of which, did you want to talk to them?” The selfish part of Mark hoped Trey said no, not just because he hadn’t talked to Trey in way too long, but he was afraid if he moved from in front of the computer, Trey would disappear.

“No, that’s okay. No need to wake them.” Trey grimaced. “I’ll talk to them at a more decent hour. Like I probably should have done this time, but I got your email and wanted to at least let you know. I figured you’d get it whenever you woke up. Just tell them I’ll try in a couple days to get some computer time. Maybe around seven in the morning your time.” Trey waved at someone behind him. “I hate to do this, but I need to go. Love you.”

“Love you too.”

Before Mark could say anything else, the video call cut off.

Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 24
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice and long, but still not long enough. What? I'm greedy :boy: . I'm so glad Mark and Trey got some face to face time. My heart breaks for Brent, to find out he was part of a messed-up plan, and never loved by his wife. Is it wrong to hope Jackie and her father get hit by a bus? Great chapter, Renee... it'll keep me going for a little while... cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Good to read a new chapter. Jackie is truly a horrible person and so is her father. I like Gary's idea of them getting hit by a bus. Poor Brent, finding out what his wife is capable of must have been terrible for him.

Link to comment

Mark's probably thinking how could Jackie and their father even be related to he and his mother?

 

She's just crazy. Marrying someone only for the alimony, just to divorce him, spying on your brother...but the very worst was wanting to have an abortion. She's is the worst type of "human being". Not very human in my book. :devil:

Link to comment

Been away, and just now able to catch up on the last few chapters.
What a mess! There's a "big picture play" Jackie's got going--we just haven't seen it yet. In the meantime, she's worthy of every bit of hatred we throw at her.
Youve done a great job in portraying both the totally evil character of Jackie, as well as the solid friendship between Brent and Trey. Even better, in this chapter you've beautifully conveyed the strength of Mark and Trey's relationship while concretely showing the terror of separation by war.
Great Job! More! More!

Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 04:58 AM, Daddydavek said:

Some people are just ugly. I think Jackie qualifies and so does her dad...

You'll get absolutely NO argument from me!!!

Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 01:25 AM, Headstall said:

Nice and long, but still not long enough. What? I'm greedy :boy: . I'm so glad Mark and Trey got some face to face time. My heart breaks for Brent, to find out he was part of a messed-up plan, and never loved by his wife. Is it wrong to hope Jackie and her father get hit by a bus? Great chapter, Renee... it'll keep me going for a little while... cheers... Gary....

Greedy? You? Never!!! Seriously though, I love having readers so invested in the story that they can't wait for the next chapter. It's amazing what people will do, and I know there are people out there that marry for money, perhaps Jackie is a little further than that, but it is possible. A bus hmmmm... *ponders ideas*

Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 06:54 AM, Suvitar said:

Good to read a new chapter. Jackie is truly a horrible person and so is her father. I like Gary's idea of them getting hit by a bus. Poor Brent, finding out what his wife is capable of must have been terrible for him.

LOL! I like Gary's idea too, but we'll just have to wait and see. They both are definitely horrible and I definitely feel for Brent and Matthew as well. Thanks for the review Suvitar!

Link to comment
On 12/15/2015 03:02 PM, Lisa said:

Mark's probably thinking how could Jackie and their father even be related to he and his mother?

 

She's just crazy. Marrying someone only for the alimony, just to divorce him, spying on your brother...but the very worst was wanting to have an abortion. She's is the worst type of "human being". Not very human in my book. :devil:

Honestly, at this point I don't think Mark knows what to think. You do make a good point on how they can even be related. Jackie is simply showing her true colors now, and unfortunately people marry for money every day. Though I don't think many of them go to quite the extremes that Jackie does. Thanks for the review, Lisa.

Link to comment
On 12/17/2015 04:31 AM, Robert Rex said:

Been away, and just now able to catch up on the last few chapters.

What a mess! There's a "big picture play" Jackie's got going--we just haven't seen it yet. In the meantime, she's worthy of every bit of hatred we throw at her.

Youve done a great job in portraying both the totally evil character of Jackie, as well as the solid friendship between Brent and Trey. Even better, in this chapter you've beautifully conveyed the strength of Mark and Trey's relationship while concretely showing the terror of separation by war.

Great Job! More! More!

Glad to see you back, Robert! I'm really glad that you're still enjoying the story, and you're right everything is a mess right now. There are so many aspects of this story, and sometimes it gets difficult to write. Hopefully, I'll be able to continue to do it justice. And yes, more is coming.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..