Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 5. Chapter Five

The Prompt: "What did you just call me?"

Mark needed coffee, lots and lots of coffee. He’d enjoyed every moment with Trey but he was tired as hell. He should have just stayed in bed but, despite being exhausted, he was restless and hadn’t wanted to wake up Trey with his tossing and turning. He grabbed a mug out of the cupboard and was just reaching for the coffee pot when someone knocked on his door.

“Fuck.” A look at the clock showed it wasn’t even eight o’clock yet.

He glanced at his bedroom to make sure the door was closed before going to answer it, ready to give whoever it was a piece of his mind. He checked the peephole and groaned at the sight of Jackie peering back at him. Knowing she wasn’t likely to go away he opened the door and glared at her.

“Do you even know what time it is?”

“Good morning to you too.” She held up a bag. “I brought donuts.” Jackie breezed past him, way too cheerful to Mark’s way of thinking.

“Come in why don’t you.” He shut the door behind her but couldn’t stop from muttering under his breath, “Wench.” Apparently he hadn’t been quiet enough.

“What did you just call me?” Jackie dropped the donuts on the counter and turned to him, hands on her hips.

“You deserve it after putting me through that damn date. Could you have found anyone more self-absorbed?” Recognizing the logo on the bag, he brushed past her and peered into the bag. “I’ll forgive you if you brought me an apple fritter.”

“You know I did.” She leaned in and kissed his cheek. “So… I take it the date didn’t go well?”

“Understatement of the century. It was nearly painful.” He grabbed a fritter out of the bag and waited for her to get her own and a cup of coffee before leading the way to the couch. “How could you possibly have thought he was anywhere near my type?”

“Sorry, I’d met Ted a couple times and he seemed like a really nice guy.” Jackie took a sip of her coffee before setting it on the coffee table. “I promise to do better next time.”

“There’s not going to be a next time.” Not like she’d actually listen to him, but it was worth a shot.

“If you’re not going to find someone, then I’m going to. Seriously, I’m not going to let you hole up in your apartment all alone.”

Mark glanced over at the bedroom door and barely kept from chuckling. If only she knew. He actually hoped that Trey stayed asleep until she left. Not that he had anything to hide, but he really didn’t want to subject the other man to Jackie’s questions and he was sure she’d have plenty of them. Unfortunately, whoever granted wishes either wasn’t listening or was just ignoring him because no sooner had he thought about Trey than the bedroom door opened. Trey took two steps out of the bedroom and froze.

“Umm, hey.” Trey glanced at Mark and all Mark could do was shrug.

Mark saw Jackie glance from Trey to him and back to Trey. He knew her well enough and prayed she wouldn’t start badgering him with questions. Thank god Trey had put on his jeans. Typical Jackie, uncaring of the awkwardness, she stood and walked over to Trey and held out her hand.

“Since my dingbat brother over there doesn’t seem to be in any hurry to introduce us, I’m Jackie.”

“Uhh, Trey.” Trey shook her hand, looking like a deer caught in the headlights and unsure as to which way to run. He took a step back towards the bedroom. “I think I’ll just go finish getting dressed.” He disappeared back into the bedroom and closed the door as Jackie walked back to the couch.

“Apparently last night wasn’t a total bust.” She grinned and picked up her coffee and took a sip before carrying it to the kitchen and dumping it down the sink. “This is obviously a bad time so I’ll just go and we can talk later.”

He didn’t know who had taken over his sister, but he was grateful for the respite. He dutifully stood and walked her to the door. He knew that Jackie speak for talk later meant he had better be damn good and ready to answer a few hundred questions. He opened the door and kissed her cheek before ushering her out.

“I’ll call you later, I promise.” If he didn’t, she would no doubt show back up.

“You’d better.” She glanced at the bedroom door, “I have to say, you do have good taste.” She smirked and walked away before he could even think of how to answer.

No sooner than the front door shut than the bedroom door opened again and this time a full clothed, minus socks and shoes, Trey emerged.

“I didn’t mean to chase your sister away.”

“You actually did me a favor. Knowing her, she wanted to dissect what happened on the date she set me up on.” He walked over and pressed a kiss to Trey’s lips. “Good morning.”

“Morning.” He nodded towards Mark’s cup still sitting on the counter. “Got another one of those.”

“Sure.” He moved away from Trey and fetched another cup before filling them both with much needed coffee. “Need anything in it?”

“Nope, black’s good for me.”

Mark nodded and picked both cups up, giving one to Trey. He motioned towards the bag sitting on the counter. “There’s an apple fritter in there if you want it.”

“Don’t mind if I do.” Trey dug into the bag before carrying his coffee and fritter to the table; Mark following close behind.

He sat across from Trey as they ate and while he’d expected the morning to be awkward, it wasn’t. It was actually really nice to be sharing breakfast with someone. He could get used to it.

The Prompt: "What did you just call me?"
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 26
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

She might be a bit stubborn but at least Jackie has good manners . Though I do feel sorry for the interrogation he will have to go through later. And he still didn't get his apple fritter.

Link to comment

Just discovered the story and I'm already complaining! Chapters are too darn short, LOL. Do you use a prompt for each chapter or only for those in which you mention the prompt used.

Link to comment

I think it could have been a lot more awkward, but it wasn't thanks to Mark. Just by him going up to Trey and kissing him good mornng eased the tension and awkwardness.

 

Mark's lucky to have a sister like Jackie. I'm looking forward to her interrogation. lol :)

Link to comment
On 07/20/2013 10:46 PM, Daithi said:
She might be a bit stubborn but at least Jackie has good manners . Though I do feel sorry for the interrogation he will have to go through later. And he still didn't get his apple fritter.
Stubborn is a good way to describe Jackie, as well as a couple of other things, that will become even more apparent later on. As far as the interrogation later on, well, that could prove to be very interesting. Thanks for reading, and for reviewing.
Link to comment
On 07/21/2013 06:36 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Just discovered the story and I'm already complaining! Chapters are too darn short, LOL. Do you use a prompt for each chapter or only for those in which you mention the prompt used.
Thanks for the review Carlos. Each chapter came from a prompt and I know they are short, but that's the life with this story since all chapters had to remain under 1K. I try to remember to include the prompt in each story, but sometimes I forget. I will try to go back in and see which ones I forgot to include the prompt and add them into the story notes. Thank you for pointing that out.
Link to comment
On 07/21/2013 03:49 PM, Lisa said:
I think it could have been a lot more awkward, but it wasn't thanks to Mark. Just by him going up to Trey and kissing him good mornng eased the tension and awkwardness.

 

Mark's lucky to have a sister like Jackie. I'm looking forward to her interrogation. lol :)

Thanks for the review Lisa. You're right that it could have gone a lot differently than it did. I definitely considered different ways that the chapter could have gone, but in the end this was the way that I thought worked best and I'm glad that it worked well. I think a lot of people are looking forward to the interrogation. Thanks again!
Link to comment
On 10/21/2013 03:33 AM, Daddydavek said:
Another short chapter, but it went well. Jackie is a hoot.
LOL... Yes she is, and I have to admit that Jackie is loosely based on a cousin of mine. They share a lot of the same personality traits.
Link to comment

Now see, that is the wonderful part of sex as a one off when you really actually click with someone.

There is non of that awkward silence the next day.

Yeah, Mark should get used to it, it's a bloody good feeling. :)

I just love that Jackie got silenced haha, although poor Trey. I know what it is like, although in my case it was a mum that I walked out to meet.

:D

Link to comment
On 11/26/2013 12:04 PM, Yettie One said:
Now see, that is the wonderful part of sex as a one off when you really actually click with someone.

There is non of that awkward silence the next day.

Yeah, Mark should get used to it, it's a bloody good feeling. :)

I just love that Jackie got silenced haha, although poor Trey. I know what it is like, although in my case it was a mum that I walked out to meet.

:D

LOL, I so would have hated to be in Trey's shoes. The closest I have been and it was actually my current hubby was when we fell asleep when I was living at my parents house after my divorce. He snuck out of the basement at 5 am and literally ran smack dab into my dad... Talk about awkward and boy did I hear about that...
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..