Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 50. Chapter Fifty

Mark paced, unsure what to do. He wanted to call Gary and Diane, but didn’t want to worry them if it was nothing. On the other hand, if Trey was hurt, the military would call his parents. If Trey was able, surely he’d call. Mark raked his fingers through his hair as his agitation built. He looked around at the boxes scattered throughout the apartment.

If he called Brent to help, he could be loaded up and on the road within a couple of hours. Maybe he was worrying for nothing, but if Gary and Diane got a call with bad news, Mark needed to be there. Not just for them, but for himself as well. He picked up the phone and dialed, throwing stuff haphazardly into boxes as he moved from room to room. Finally, Brent picked up.

“Hey Mark, what’s up?”

Mark didn’t waste time with small talk.“I need your help.”

“Just tell me what you need.” Brent must have heard the desperation in his voice.

“I was video chatting with Trey, and apparently there was a mortar attack.” Mark swallowed hard. “The connection cut out in the middle of him talking. I need to get ready and head to Gary and Diane’s.” Mark closed his eyes and tried to keep his voice from trembling. “If something has happened to Trey….”

“Don’t even think like that, I’m sure he’s fine and communication was simply knocked out.” Brent sounded so calm. “What do you need me to do?”

“I know you have the thing with Jackie on Friday, so I’ll either need to take Matthew with me now, or you’ll need to bring him up to me.” Mark’s legs seemed to have turned to rubber and he slid down the wall to sit on the floor. “I still have some stuff I need to pack, but I was hoping you’d come over and help me finish packing and load the trailer so I can get on the road.”

“I’ll be there in ten minutes, and we’ll figure out what to do next.”

Mark nodded, even though Brent couldn’t see him. “I’ll be here.” Ten minutes, he could pull himself together in that amount of time. He hoped.

Mark rested his forehead against his knees and focused on taking deep, calming, breaths. He couldn’t fall apart now. He was still sitting on the floor when Brent walked in the door carrying Matthew. His brother-in-law immediately set Matthew on the floor by the couch, walked over, and crouched in front of him.

“You okay?”

Mark nodded.

“Okay, stupid question, I can see for myself that you’re not.” Brent glanced around the apartment and then focused once more on Mark. “I thought about it on the way over. There’s no way you’re in the right frame of mind to be driving.”

“I have to—” Mark couldn’t not go.

“You know I’m right.”

He was, but Mark didn’t want to admit it. He couldn't just stay home and do nothing.

"So what do you suggest I do?" Mark looked at his brother-in-law and waited.

"It's not what you should do, it's what we will do." Brent put his hand on Mark's knee. "The only solution I can see is for me to take you up there. We can finish loading up the truck and trailer with what you have packed, then I can drive you."

"And how do you propose to get home?" Mark appreciated the offer but he just didn't see how it would work.

"I figured I'd drive up and leave you and Matthew there, then drive your truck back and bring it back up after my meeting with Jackie on Friday." Brent shrugged.

"I appreciate the offer but that's a lot of driving for you, and that leaves me without a vehicle. I understand you're worried, but I'll be fine." Mark pushed himself up off the floor, dislodging Brent's hand in the process. "If it would make you feel better I'll even call you during the drive."

"It's not just that, but Matthew will be with you." Brent sighed and stood up. "If you really want to drive, then I'll bring Matthew up on Thursday, or you can take my car and I'll finish loading your truck and trailer and bring them up tomorrow. That way you could get out of here and not worry about hauling the trailer when you're not in the right frame of mind."

"That's a lot of driving in one day." Mark raked his fingers through his hair. "I'll be fine I promise. Yes, I'm worried, but my main reason for going there is just in case Gary and Diane get a call. They're already expecting me so it won't look odd for me to show up a few days early."

"Well, I figure if I come up tomorrow then maybe I can stay until Thursday evening and then drive home."Brett shook his head. "Will that work for you?"

"Yes, it will. Though, while it won't look odd for me to show up early, it will look odd for me to show up without my stuff. But I'm going to need to talk to them anyway once I get there." Mark shoulders slumped as if the weight of the world were resting on them. "At least I can try to prepare them, just in case. Are you sure you're okay with that?"

"I'm sure as hell not happy about it, but I understand why you feel the need to go—and your reasonings—even if I don't agree with them." Brent dug in his pocket and pulled out his keys. "Do you have a bag packed that has all your necessities?"

Mark handed over his own keys and took Brent's. "I just have to throw a few more things in, and then I'll be ready."

It only took a few minutes for Mark to get everything together. Brent followed him out to his car so that he could get the car seat for Matthew. Within a half hour of Brent's arrival, and a promise to call Brent at least once an hour, Mark was on his way. The drive seemed to take forever, but once he pulled into Gary and Diane's driveway he wished it had been longer. He wasn't looking forward to telling Gary and Diane about the cut off video chat. Before he could even get out of the car, Gary stood on the front porch. The look on his face told Mark that he knew something was wrong. Mark's heart stuttered in his chest and he took a deep breath before climbing out of Brent's car.

"Mark! We weren't expecting you for a couple of days, is everything okay?" Gary hurried down the stairs and met Mark halfway.

"I hope so." Mark gave him a hug. He really didn't want to be the one to say anything, but knew he had no choice. They were his parents, and deserved to know that something could be wrong. He pulled back and placed a hand on Gary's shoulder. "Let's go inside so I can talk to you and Mom together."

"I'm not sure I want to." Despite his words Gary turned and led the way into the house. Diane met them at the door.

"Mark! What are you doing here?" She opened her arms and Mark stepped into them.

"Hi, Mom." Mark squeezed her lightly. "I needed to talk to you and Dad."

Diane pulled away and headed into the kitchen, followed closely by Gary and Mark. Only once they were seated around the table did Mark explain the reason for his showing up early. As he expected, Diane was in tears when he got done telling her. Gary just looked shellshocked.

"It could be as simple as communications being knocked out." Mark stood and moved over behind Diane's chair. He set both hands on her shoulders and squeezed lightly. "Until we hear otherwise, we just have to hope for the best."

Mark didn't know what else to say, and after a few minutes of silence he excused himself to bring in his bags and get settled. The rest of the evening was quiet, and Mark had noticed each of them glancing at the phone at one time or another. He said his good nights early, and headed to bed, operating on the thought that no news was good news. His hope was shattered when he was jarred from sleep by the ringing of the phone.

Mark was up and out the door before it even quit ringing. He found Diane in the kitchen—the phone to her ear—and at the sight of her tears, Mark's knees gave out and he gasped for breath as the tears flowed.

*Hides from the pitchforks and other sharp objects*
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Love 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

You're killing me with these cliffhangers! :o As penance, you'll have to post faster. :P

 

Fingers crossed that Trey's ok. Or, at least, not dead. :unsure:

Link to comment

:blink: No, no, no, you can't do that to us, Renee. :o There had better be an update really soon, or else... :pissed: As in this year, not next year. :lol:
Nah, just kidding, I know you won't kill Mark, and anything else can be dealt with. :yes: And the silver lining is Mark coming home soon, I hope. Please?

Link to comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

 

Ok, so now I'm seriously bawling my eyes out.

 

Well, the late night phone call can mean other things besides the worst, right? He could be hurt, but be in he hospital, he could be missing...right? Not necessarily dead, right? You wouldn't POSSIBLY KILL one of the main characters, would you????????????? Renee!!!!!!! lol

 

Ok, then, now that I got THAT off my chest...hurry up with the next chapter, please!!!!! :)

Link to comment

You are just so cruel :( I'm seriously thinking about not reading anymore until the story is finished :)
Hope Trey is at least mostly ok.
Please post next chapter soon

Link to comment
On 12/29/2015 11:27 PM, impunity said:

You're killing me with these cliffhangers! :o As penance, you'll have to post faster. :P

 

Fingers crossed that Trey's ok. Or, at least, not dead. :unsure:

Thanks for the review!!!! As for cliffhangers... who? me? I never do cliffhangers. :gikkle:

Link to comment
On 12/29/2015 11:50 PM, Timothy M. said:

:blink: No, no, no, you can't do that to us, Renee. :o There had better be an update really soon, or else... :pissed: As in this year, not next year. :lol:

Nah, just kidding, I know you won't kill Mark, and anything else can be dealt with. :yes: And the silver lining is Mark coming home soon, I hope. Please?

LOL. Sorry, but sometimes it just has to be done. As for what I'll do with Trey, well, you'll just have to read the new chapter to find that out :) Hope you enjoy and thanks for the review.

Link to comment
On 12/30/2015 06:46 AM, wildone said:

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Grrrrrrrrrr? Really? Oh c'mon Steve, I know you can do better than that! :P:gikkle:

Link to comment
On 12/30/2015 06:56 AM, Suvitar said:

Oh, no! How could you do that?! :/ Hopefully there'll be another chapter soon and Trey's alright :unsure:

Unfortunately, it had to be done. The next chapter is already up and ready for you to read. Enjoy! And thanks for the review :)

Link to comment
On 12/30/2015 07:44 AM, Daddydavek said:

Oh S_ _ _!

Hopefully the next chapter is posted ASAP!

I think that sums it up pretty well, and the next chapter is already posted :) Enjoy, and thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 12/30/2015 02:34 PM, Lisa said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

 

Ok, so now I'm seriously bawling my eyes out.

 

Well, the late night phone call can mean other things besides the worst, right? He could be hurt, but be in he hospital, he could be missing...right? Not necessarily dead, right? You wouldn't POSSIBLY KILL one of the main characters, would you????????????? Renee!!!!!!! lol

 

Ok, then, now that I got THAT off my chest...hurry up with the next chapter, please!!!!! :)

Awwwww... *hands Lisa a box of tissues*

 

Yes, the late night phone call could be any number of things, we'll just have to wait and see what exactly is going on. As for what I would or wouldn't do.... not sure I can answer that, lol.

 

And the next chapter is already up, so enjoy! Thanks for the review!

Link to comment
On 12/31/2015 08:20 AM, Morgana_lefay said:

You are just so cruel :( I'm seriously thinking about not reading anymore until the story is finished :)

Hope Trey is at least mostly ok.

Please post next chapter soon

Thanks for the review, Morgana. I don't try to be cruel, it's just a good place to end the chapter. Don't worry, the next chapter is already up, even a couple days early. Hope you enjoy it!

Link to comment

Two in a row? You are a brave soul! If there's a third one... well... ther better not be a third one. Please don't break my heart, here <crosses fingers> on to the next... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
On 01/16/2016 06:46 PM, Headstall said:

Two in a row? You are a brave soul! If there's a third one... well... ther better not be a third one. Please don't break my heart, here <crosses fingers> on to the next... cheers... Gary...

I know, I know... it has been pointed out to me that I might be a tad bit evil. Though, I am interested in knowing what the punishment would be for a third one, lol. Thanks for the review, Gary!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..