Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 52. Chapter Fifty-Two

Well, so much for Diane having the distraction of having Matthew around. When the call came, it seemed everything was moving much faster than Mark had anticipated. Trey was already on his way to Bethesda. Mark hated not knowing what was going on. All they knew was that Trey had severe lacerations to his legs and some swelling in the brain. They were more concerned about the brain injury than the legs, but Trey would still be having surgery on his legs when he reached the states. Because of the head injury, the military was flying both Gary and Diane out to be with Trey at Bethesda. And Mark was staying home.

It didn’t sit well with him, but there wasn’t much he could do about it. He couldn’t really afford to fly across the country and stay in a motel, but if that was the only stumbling block, Mark would have figured something out. Even Matthew wasn’t the biggest issue. Brent would have understood and told him as much. No, the biggest issue was he wasn’t sure they’d let him be at Trey’s bedside and the last thing he wanted was for Trey to have to deal with things on his own. If that meant he had to step aside, he’d do it. Mark stared out the window as they pulled into airport parking. Gary and Diane had planned to just leave their car in long-term parking, but Mark had argued there was no reason to do that. He could drop them off and then pick them up when they got back. He climbed out of the car as soon as they parked and moved around to the trunk to shoulder Diane’s bag and carry Gary’s.

“We can get those.” Gary came over and grabbed the smaller overnight bag.

“It’s no problem.” Mark started towards the elevators. He just had to get them on their way and then he could go back to beating himself up for staying behind.

“Are you sure you’re okay with staying here?” Diane reached over and rested her hand on Mark’s arm while they waited for the elevator.

No, he wasn’t, but what other choice did he have? And honestly, he knew Diane was just concerned, but he was tired of hashing it out over and over again. Of course he couldn’t say any of that to Diane, so he forced a smile to his lips.

“It sucks, I won’t say it doesn’t because I’d be lying, but it makes more sense for you and Gary to go.” He wrapped an arm around her gave her a sideways hug. “Just go, take care of him, and make sure he knows I love him and would have been there if I knew for sure they would let me in.”

“We’ll make sure he knows, and we’ll call as soon as we know anything.” Gary sighed. “It just doesn’t seem right that you’re staying here.”

“I know, but this is what’s best for Trey.” Mark had to keep telling himself that or he’d go nuts.

“I disagree, but then again, what’s best for Trey might not be possible.” Gary shook his head. “Sometimes the rules just suck.”

Mark nodded and followed them out of the elevator and to the check-in desk. He stayed with them until they made it through security, and finally turned away and headed back to the car. At least he’d have stuff to keep him from dwelling on the situation and have someone there to keep him from going completely insane. Brent should already be on his way and once he got there, he could occupy his time with getting his stuff moved into the cabin him and Trey were moving into. He drove straight to the cabin. Brent was supposed to call when he got close so that Mark could go and meet him and Gary and Diane’s.

Trey’s parents had offered to let him stay at the house while he did the fixing up on the cabin, but the repairs were minor enough he could live there and do the repairs at the same time. Though, when Trey got home, they might have to go stay up at the house while he healed, he’d just have to see how things went and where Trey wanted to stay. Mark pulled up in front of the cabin and headed in to make sure everything was ready for him to move in. Not that he really doubted it. Gary and Diane had most of the furniture out and Diane had already done the cleaning, turned on the electricity, as well as the water. They were both excited that him and Trey would be closer and had done everything they could before he got there. Now he just had to wait for the phone to ring.

***

“I appreciate you helping.” Mark carried in the last box and set it in the spare bedroom. There were only a few pieces of furniture left in the trailer and they could finally sit down and have a beer.

“It’s not a big deal.” Brent handed the toy Matthew had thrown out of the playpen back to the little boy. “Ready to bring in the last of it?”

“Yep.” Mark led the way back out. It took two more trips but they were finally done. He headed to the fridge and grabbed a couple of beers out. He might not have any food in the place yet, but he’d stopped and picked up a six pack on his way back from the airport. He glanced at his phone and sighed. Gary and Diane’s plane still hadn’t landed, which meant it was going to be a while yet before he heard anything. And that was only if there was any information to be given.

“So still no news?” Brent sat and sipped at his beer.

“No.” Mark flopped down. “It’s driving me nuts.”

“Hopefully you’ll hear something soon.” Brent reached over to the playpen and plucked Matthew from its confines and placed him on his lap. “Are you sure you feel up to keeping Matthew while I go deal with Jackie?”

“Yeah, we’ll be fine.” Mark reached over and tickled his nephew, chuckling at the little boy’s giggles. “Are you sure you’re ready to deal with her?”

“Don’t really have a choice.” Brent bounced Matthew on his knee. “I’m not about to let her try and get custody of my son and will do whatever is necessary to make sure she signs the papers giving up all rights to him.”

“You know I’ll do whatever I can to help.” Mark leaned back against the couch. He jumped up and rushed to the kitchen area when his cell phone rang. He glanced at the display and hurried to answer. Gary and Diane, hopefully with news about Trey. He scrambled to tap the button on the screen and answer on his way back to the couch.

“Hello? Any news?” He held his breath, hoping the news was good.

“Mark?”

Mark sank onto the couch and released the breath he was holding “Trey.”

Well, there you have it. How'd you like the chapter? I'd love to hear your thoughts and if you liked it, please like the chapter! Feel free to leave a review and/or you can discuss the chapter in the Thwarted thread.
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter, Renee, but too damn short lol. It's awesome that it was Trey on the line. That has to mean the brain injury wasn't severe. I wish Brent the best of luck with Looney Tune. He'll likely need it... thanks and cheers... Gary....

Link to comment

Such a sad chapter. Poor Mark, all he wanted was to be near Trey and to know he's alright. The ending was just perfect :wub:

Link to comment

After setting us up with the threat of a major brain injury, it's a relief to have Trey on the phone. What a well-done cliff-hanger! Although there's the unknown issue of PTSD lingering. And the issues of Mark's sister's response/motives.
Such a well done chapter--looking forward to more!

Link to comment
On 01/25/2016 04:10 AM, Daddydavek said:

Too short and I wanted so much more than just Mark uttering Trey!

Thanks for the review, DDK. I thought about writing more on this chapter, but that gives me the perfect content for the next chapter and I'd rather split it than have made everyone wait even longer.

Link to comment

Trey! What a relief for us and for Mark! I hope though that his injury to his brain is healing and there aren't any repercussions.

 

Now I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next chapter! I can't believe I never saw this one! lol

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..