Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 54. Chapter Fifty-Four

Mark lifted Matthew out of his car seat and started up the stairs to his old apartment. He’d already been on the road when Brent called him to tell him it was safe to bring Matthew back. If it hadn’t been, Brent would have met him somewhere to pick up his son while Mark headed to the base to pick up Trey. He couldn’t believe Trey was coming home. Brent had helped him get things at the house ready, and had even helped him drop his truck off at the airport. He just hoped nobody outside of Gary and Diane found the hide-a-key. Mark shifted Matthew to one hip and rapped his knuckles against the door. Within moments, Brent pulled open the door and motioned him in.

“You didn’t need to knock.” Brent reached out and lifted Matthew out of Mark’s arms and cuddled him close.

“Felt weird to just walk in.” Mark glanced around at the near empty apartment. He’d left a few things behind for Brent, but what he’d left behind seemed to be all the furniture Brent had. When he’d agreed to sell everything, he’d sold everything. Except his car and the things he needed for Matthew. From what Brent told him, he’d paid half of it’s value to Jackie out of his share of the money, but he still had more than enough to start over. “So, how’d it go?”

“Better than I expected.” Brent bounced Matthew in his arms and kissed his cheek. “I was sure she was going to pull something, but apparently the money really was all that she cared about. She didn’t even ask about Matthew. As soon as she saw that I had a cashier’s check, she couldn’t sign the papers fast enough. Though your dad was with her, and so was her new fiance. Or whatever you want to call him.”

“Classy.” Mark shook his head. “I don’t even know who she is anymore, but from what I’m learning, I don’t really want to.”

“Enough about that.” Brent shifted Matthew onto his other hip. “You got everything ready for Trey to come home?”

“I hope so.” Mark went through the list in his head. He’d rearranged the furniture at the cabin to make it easier for Trey to maneuver. He had a shower chair at the cabin and a collapsible wheel chair in the trunk of the car. Brent had even helped him make a short ramp to make it easier to get Trey inside without jostling him too much. He’d stocked the house with various different foods and a variety of drinks, but no alcohol. Mark wasn’t sure what other rules would be in place, but he was fairly certain that alcohol would be a big no no.

“What time is he supposed to get in?”

Mark glanced at his phone. “Still have a little more than two and a half hours. I’ll head to the base soon though. I’d rather be there early and have to wait than be late. I feel bad enough that I didn’t fly out there in the first place.” He’d talked to Trey a couple of times since that first call, and each time made him feel guiltier.

“I know you do, but think of it this way. If you had flown out with Gary and Diane, who would be here to pick Trey up?” Brent walked over to a pack-n-play, set Matthew down inside, and turned back to Mark. “Not to say I wouldn’t have, but what if I was still dealing with Jackie? I know it sucks that you weren’t there, but in some ways it probably worked out for the best.”

“Maybe.” Mark wanted to believe Brent, he did, but Brent hadn’t heard Trey. Trey seemed more distant with each phone call, and the calls had gotten shorter and shorter. Mark understood that Trey was tired, in pain, and on pain killers, but something about the whole thing wasn’t sitting right with him. Maybe he was imagining it, but Mark didn’t think so.

 

Mark pulled up to the front gate of the base, gave his ID, and was directed to pull over to the inspection area. It didn’t surprise him, but he was glad he’d shown up early. He had no doubt he’d pass the inspection and be allowed through, but it still took time. Finally, he was allowed to proceed and followed the guards direction to where he was supposed to meet Trey. He was still a good forty five minutes early and could barely sit still as he waited. Time crawled. Each minute seemed like an hour.

His phone beeped and he glanced at the screen and saw Gary’s name. He opened the message and read.

In Denver, about to board. Trey make it?

Mark wished he had just called. Maybe time wouldn’t crawl so slowly if he was on the phone. He hit reply and typed on the screen and then sent it.

Be safe. No Trey yet. Waiting.

Within a minute, or an hour depending on the perception of time, the reply came.

Ok. Let us know.

Mark couldn’t sit any longer. He popped the trunk, pocketed the keys, and got out. He still had a little bit of time, but he could have the wheelchair ready. Mark pulled the wheelchair out and got it unfolded and everything snapped into place to make it sturdy. He moved to the passenger door, opened it, and slid the seat back as far as it would go. Trey might want to sit in the back where he’d have more room, but Mark wanted to be ready for whatever Trey decided.

Another twenty minutes and finally it was time, but no Trey. Then it was ten minutes past. Then twenty. Mark fidgeted and kept glancing at his phone. Had he been told the wrong time? Was he in the wrong place? Where the fuck was Trey? A half hour past, and Mark eyed the approaching shuttle bus. It pulled to a stop fifty or so yards away and the door slid open. Mark swallowed past the lump in his throat as a couple of people stepped down off. And then there he was. Trey was home.

I know it's been a wait, but the last two chapters of Thwarted are written and will be posting over the next couple of weeks. Let me know what you think!
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 32
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

AUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! You HAD to stop there?!

 

I'm so glad you decided to finish the story. And I'm so sad there's only two chapters left.

Link to comment

What a relief to have this come. Was looking forward to it for so long. Hopefully Mark's paranoia is just that. He knows some of what Trey's been through, but not everything and it will be interesting to see how you handle that with only a couple chapters left to go!

Link to comment

That was kind of mean, Renee. :huh: First you make us think something is very wrong.... and then cliffie... damn... still, I was so excited waiting for him to get there... both these guys have been through enough... it's time to be happy... thanks for this... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

Gonna be interesting to see what's going on with Trey...one of the unfortunate side effects of some head injuries is personality changes. Hope that's not the case!
At this point, Mark should be proud of all the prep work he's done to get ready for Trey. He seems to have thought through everything well. And still waiting for more details on Mark's sister. There's even more to that story than just sheer greed.
Nicely done chapter--looking forward to more!

Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 03:51 AM, Geemeedee said:

AUUUUGGGGHHHH!!!! You HAD to stop there?!

 

I'm so glad you decided to finish the story. And I'm so sad there's only two chapters left.

Of course I had to stop there, lol. I wouldn't be me if I didn't.

 

And yes, I know it's sad to see it end, but I can't leave these guys with an unfinished story and I need a break from worrying about how to finish it. However, I will say, that in the distant future, I hope to come back to these two.

Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 04:10 AM, Lux Apollo said:

What a relief to have this come. Was looking forward to it for so long. Hopefully Mark's paranoia is just that. He knows some of what Trey's been through, but not everything and it will be interesting to see how you handle that with only a couple chapters left to go!

I know, I felt so bad that I left it for so long. Hopefully I handled things well, I look forward to seeing what you say on the final couple of chapters.

Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 04:35 AM, Daddydavek said:

I had to reread the prior chapter first..and of course you end on a cliff!

A cliff? Moi? You must be thinking of someone else :D

Link to comment
On 06/01/2016 01:51 PM, Headstall said:

That was kind of mean, Renee. :huh: First you make us think something is very wrong.... and then cliffie... damn... still, I was so excited waiting for him to get there... both these guys have been through enough... it's time to be happy... thanks for this... cheers... Gary...

Mean? Me? I know, I was excited for him to get there too. But hopefully it will have been worth the wait!

Link to comment
On 06/02/2016 11:00 AM, Robert Rex said:

Gonna be interesting to see what's going on with Trey...one of the unfortunate side effects of some head injuries is personality changes. Hope that's not the case!

At this point, Mark should be proud of all the prep work he's done to get ready for Trey. He seems to have thought through everything well. And still waiting for more details on Mark's sister. There's even more to that story than just sheer greed.

Nicely done chapter--looking forward to more!

I hope you like it. Normally I don't give anything away in reviews, but I will say that for this part of their story, Jackie won't be making another appearance.

 

IF I do like I want and eventually come back to these guys, maybe we can find out more about her, but we'll have to see. As for Marc, he is definitely ready, now just have to see how everything goes now that Trey is home.

Link to comment

Ugh, now my heart's in my mouth! I'm all anxious for Mark! Why is Trey acting so distant? Why are his calls shorter and shorter? Could it be just his injury and the pain meds? I hope once Trey sees all the trouble Mark went through to make him feel comfortable at home, he'll feel better.

 

I don't mind the mean (yes! mean! lol) cliffie, because I have the next chapter right here. lol

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..