Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thwarted - 55. Chapter Fifty-Five

Mark’s feet were frozen to the ground. All the waiting. All the worry. And now Trey was in front of him and he couldn’t move. He watched as someone else helped Trey out of the shuttle bus, watched Trey fit the crutches under his arm, and watched as Trey looked around, his gaze finally landing on Mark. Trey smiled, and then winced as he tried to move forward. It was that grimace, that visual of pain, that got Mark moving. He grabbed the handles of the wheelchair and rushed over to where Trey waited. He wanted to grab Trey, kiss him, and hold him tight, but he restrained himself, barely. That would have to wait until they were off the base and he’d still have to be careful that he didn’t hurt Trey any more than he was already hurting. He moved close and helped Trey ease down into the chair.

Once he had Trey situated, he hugged him. Regardless of what they couldn’t do, a hug wouldn’t look suspicious to anyone, and it gave him the opportunity to whisper, “Welcome home, babe. Missed you.”

“Me too.” Trey smiled, but lines of pain were etched in his face.

“Let’s get you home.” The sooner they got off the base, the sooner Mark could welcome Trey home properly. Mark glanced around, and smiled at the guy approaching with what he assumed were Trey’s bags. He reached out and relieve the guy of his burden. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” The soldier nodded at both of them and walked away.

“Are you hurting?” Seemed like a stupid question, but he wasn’t sure when Trey was scheduled for another dose of pain relievers.

“A bit, but my stomach is a bit queasy right now. I think I should probably eat before I take anything.” Trey shifted in the seat and groaned. “Can we hit a drive through or something?”

“Your wish is my command.” Mark shouldered Trey’s bags and grasped the handles of the wheelchair. He heard Trey mutter something but didn’t catch the actual words. “What?”

“Nothing.” Trey shook his head and glanced over his shoulder. “Can we get out of here now?”

“Absolutely.” Mark stopped by the car. “I wasn’t sure if you’d want to be in the back or the front.”

“The front seat is fine. I’ll just slide it all the way back and recline it.”

“I already slid it back for you.” Mark pulled the door open and helped Trey move from the wheelchair to the car. He helped him get situated, get his seat belt fastened, and then moved out of the way and shut the door. It only took a few minutes for him to collapse the wheelchair and stow it in the trunk. He added one of Trey’s bags, but the other was going to have to ride on the back seat. He climbed into the driver’s seat and started the car. Within minutes they were finally off the base and headed for home. As soon as they cleared the base gates and were on the entrance to the interstate, Mark reached over and laced his fingers with Trey’s. He needed to touch, needed to reassure himself that Trey was really there. Maybe he should find a place to pull off so that he could really embrace Trey like he’d wanted to the second he’d seen him.

“What? No kiss hello?” Trey squeezed his hand and Mark glanced over. Trey was watching him, a small smile curving his lips, but there was something in his eyes.

Fear? Uncertainty? Mark wasn’t sure, but it was enough to make him take the next exit and find a spot to pull off. As soon as the car was in park, Mark undid his seatbelt and turned to Trey. He knew it would hurt for Trey to move, so Mark leaned over as much as he could and slid the fingers of one hand into Trey’s hair. Mark captured Trey’s lips with is own and licked at his lips until Trey opened and allowed him inside the warm cavern of his mouth. Mark groaned as Trey’s tongue stroked against his. Mark pulled back, just enough to whisper against Trey’s lips. “So glad you’re back, missed you so fuckin’ much. Love you.”

Trey kissed him again, lips lingering, but not taking it farther than a gentle press of lips against lips. He pulled back and gave a half-hearted smile. “Not the way I wanted to come home, but here I am.”

Mark settled back into his seat and laced their fingers together again as he put the car in gear and pulled back onto the road, and then onto the freeway. “I wish you hadn’t been hurt, but at least you survived.” Mark could feel the tears building in his eyes and blinked them back. He glanced briefly at Trey. “You’re here. Considering the alternative, I’ll take you any way I can get you.”

“I really need one of my pills, can we get food now?”

“Of course. Arby’s sound okay?” If Trey’s stomach was already feeling queasy, Mark doubted that something overly greasy was a good idea.

“Works for me.”

Mark took them through the drive-thru at Arby’s and got both of them a sandwich and a drink. He also used the opportunity to text Gary and Brent. Gary and Diane were probably still in the air, but at least when they landed they’d know Trey had made it. While Trey was eating, Mark dug around in his bag and found his pain pills. He handed one over as soon as Trey finished eating and helped him get settled before hitting the road again. They hadn’t been on the road for more than a half-hour when Mark glanced over and saw Trey asleep. He turned the radio on low and headed for home.

Trey slept the rest of the ride home, only stirring as they hit the road leading up to Gary and Diane’s place and the cabin. He pulled to a stop in front of the cabin that was now their home and waited for Trey to come fully awake.

“I thought we were staying at Mom and Dad’s place.”

Mark shook his head. “Nope. Not just because of the stairs, but I’ve been working on getting our place ready for you to come home.” Mark motioned towards the cabin. “It’s just been waiting for you to get here. Just like I have.”

Well, one more chapter to go! What are your thoughts?
Copyright © 2016 Renee Stevens; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Obviously Trey feels like Mark is staying with him out of sense of obligation. I'm sad that the last chapter is next, because you'd have to wrap up a lot of plot lines in limited space. I was hoping that this chapter would work through Trey's insecurities, and the last chapter would be more ... forward-looking? Ah well. I've enjoyed the guys nonetheless. Jackie was the story's only stumble, in my opinion. Her actions were bizarre, and the explanation was unsatisfactory.

Link to comment

Sigh. It went okay, but something's wrong. I'm not going to worry though, because I don't think you can kill a love like these two have. Whatever it is, whatever insecurities... they will handle them... prove me wrong at your peril, Renee :P . I will be sad to see this one end... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment

Well, I'm relieved Trey seems ok with Mark. Maybe Trey fears Mark not wanting/loving him anymore because he got hurt. I hope when he sees all Mark did for him it'll squash his fears.

 

I can't wait for the next chapter, Renee, but I'm sad it'll be the last one!!!

Link to comment

The anguish each has is only partially shared. They each have their own private anguish that will be much harder to share. Men, even broken men, try to be strong and these two heroes don't know how to be anything else, even if it means holding back.

Link to comment

Whatever issues are in place, they're multiplied by the obvious pain Trey is dealing with--and perhaps intensifying Trey's issues. You simply can't think clearly when dealing with pain, and pain-killers! I'm looking forward to the next chapter where they resolve these, and move forward.
Almost a cliffhanger here! Good job on the chapter, but looking forward to the next, too.

Link to comment
On 06/09/2016 12:49 AM, Robert Rex said:

Whatever issues are in place, they're multiplied by the obvious pain Trey is dealing with--and perhaps intensifying Trey's issues. You simply can't think clearly when dealing with pain, and pain-killers! I'm looking forward to the next chapter where they resolve these, and move forward.

Almost a cliffhanger here! Good job on the chapter, but looking forward to the next, too.

Thanks, Robert! I'm glad that you've enjoyed the story thus far. You are right, pain can certainly make you do things that are out of character!

Link to comment
On 06/08/2016 02:48 PM, Daddydavek said:

The anguish each has is only partially shared. They each have their own private anguish that will be much harder to share. Men, even broken men, try to be strong and these two heroes don't know how to be anything else, even if it means holding back.

Thanks for the review, DDK! You are right. Half the time my hubby won't tell me when something is wrong because he thinks/feels that he should handle it himself.

Link to comment
On 06/08/2016 09:10 AM, Lisa said:

Well, I'm relieved Trey seems ok with Mark. Maybe Trey fears Mark not wanting/loving him anymore because he got hurt. I hope when he sees all Mark did for him it'll squash his fears.

 

I can't wait for the next chapter, Renee, but I'm sad it'll be the last one!!!

Thanks for the review, Lisa. I know, it's sad to see it end, but this is really only going to be a break. You'll see these guys again, just not sure when.

Link to comment
On 06/08/2016 03:22 AM, Headstall said:

Sigh. It went okay, but something's wrong. I'm not going to worry though, because I don't think you can kill a love like these two have. Whatever it is, whatever insecurities... they will handle them... prove me wrong at your peril, Renee :P . I will be sad to see this one end... cheers... Gary...

Thanks, Gary! I'll be sad to see it end too. With the few breaks, this story has been going on for a while. It'll be hard to let them go, but they'll be back :)

Link to comment
On 06/08/2016 12:28 AM, Geemeedee said:

Obviously Trey feels like Mark is staying with him out of sense of obligation. I'm sad that the last chapter is next, because you'd have to wrap up a lot of plot lines in limited space. I was hoping that this chapter would work through Trey's insecurities, and the last chapter would be more ... forward-looking? Ah well. I've enjoyed the guys nonetheless. Jackie was the story's only stumble, in my opinion. Her actions were bizarre, and the explanation was unsatisfactory.

Thanks, Geemeedee. There is more to Jackie, just not in this story. I do plan to revisit these guys in the future, and when that happens, we'll learn more about what drove Jackie to do what she did. I already have some thoughts, but the story line I have needs a bit more smoothing.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..