Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Crisscross Moon - 32. Chapter 32

32.

Of course, the boy didn't leave. Not right away. There was no way he could do that until he knew all the women and children were safe. The girl brought the warriors back to the cave much sooner than he expected. He thought he'd have to watch the village from a distance, but instead he watched the entrance to the new cave.

And soon he saw the older boys and girls in the forest, and then the women and children and babies. And no one was crying or mourning. There seemed only relief. When the boy saw this, he kept his promise and left. He had a long way to go, and he hoped his village would be back by the time he got there. He had no way of knowing that soon after everyone was out of the cave, the leader of the girl's village would gratefully name her after the water.

Just as the girl never knew that the boy had a surprisingly long and wise life. In time, he married and had children and became leader of his village. Just as Brown Bark became leader of his. And neither of them, nor the girl, had any way of knowing that long after all their lives, and their children's children's lives, other members of their families would slowly begin to change their story.

Some said the boy not only rescued the girl but also brought her back to his village to be his wife. Brown Bark and the girl's children simply disappeared. In other stories, the boy not only took the happy girl with him, but also left not just all the women and children trapped in the cave to die, but also all the warriors. In further stories, the girl was never scared, and she always knew the boy was never a spirit. In fact, she killed him as soon as he showed her the way out of the cave. She killed him right in the stream, and her warriors left his body there, to be eaten by bears.

(continued)

copyright 2018 by Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 8
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..