Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jake & Conor - 3. Chapter 3

Pretty soon, Conor and I were seeing each other steadily – if that can be defined as “one or two nights a week with no warning.”
“I’m free after eight,” his voice on my phone would suddenly announce.
“Guess I am, too.”
“Honest?”
“I’ll get Cassie” – my assistant – “to cover.”
I could manage that a few times a month, trading off especially late-nights. Cassie was living with a film editor and resigned to never having children because they rarely had time for sex.
“I’m having Boxleitner dreams again,” she confessed one morning.
“Bobbin’ for Bruce,” I needled, adding, “Could be worse – DeVito nights.”
“Nah – Danny’s cute, too. It’s Pierce Brosnan who worries me. When I reach him, it’s not fantasy.”
I laughed. In addition to comfortably sharing a hazardously small office, understanding our place on the Hollywood food chain was why Cassie and I were close.
The few nights each week I spent with Conor, we’d usually go out to dinner and a movie. Sometimes, I’d just follow him home.
“We should eat,” he’d say, often past midnight.
“No place is open.”
“Jerry’s.”
“No place decent.”
“Order a salad.”
“I eat salads at home.”
“Pretend you’re home.”
“I wish this were.”
I was only kidding. We both knew that and knew it was way too soon. Still, I had clothes at his place, along with my back-up shaver and toothbrush.
“I can’t believe you’re so organized,” he’d tell me. “Spare keys. Extra sunglasses. Back-up credit cards. I can’t even find my daybook.”
“On top of the fridge.”
“How’d it get there?”
“You were...”
“I don’t want to know!”
We never went to my apartment. Conor thought it was “too far away.” Though like my unheeded dislike for Thai food, and later Indian, that wasn’t true: my place was as close to work as his.
“Mine’s nicer,” he’d insist.
“How would you know?”
“Some day I’ll get a machete,” he’d joke. “Hunt through that Valley jungle for that peat bog where you live.”
His place was considerably nicer: a high-ceilinged, one-bedroom condo on the twenty-first floor of a building on Wilshire Boulevard overlooking Westwood. On clear nights, we could stand naked on the balcony at two AM, holding each other and pretending to see Catalina.
“How’s the view from your place?” he’d ask.
“Sushi bar and a cheap motel.”
“Standing naked?”
“No balcony.”
“No one can see us here.”
“Vic could find us anywhere.”
“Who’s Vic?”
He always forgot the names of people I knew.
“Lousy at names, good with guys,” he’d joke.
“Want to know your grandmother’s maiden name?”
“Which side?”
“Your dad’s.”
“I’d have to look it up.”
“‘Wernher.’”
“When did I tell you that?”
“If I told you precisely, you’d be pissed.”
“It’s your talent, Jake. You remember things.”
For my birthday, in late October, he “remembered” to take me to Aspen.
“I can’t afford this,” I protested.
“Shut up and fly.”
“We upgraded from business class. Spent an expensively erotic weekend among the embarrassingly rich.
“You two should work more,” Cassie warned when we got back, loose and grinning.
“That’s what we forgot!”
As crazy as our jobs tried to make us, we worked to keep each other sane. And it was great work.

2012 Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..