Jump to content
    Rip Skor
  • Author
  • 904 Words
  • 5,186 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Boy Story: The Road Taken - 20. The Joe Situation

The Joe Situation

 

It was the month of March and the school year would be over at the end of May, so I knew I had to settle things with my dorm mate, Joe, sooner rather than later. So one night when we were eating dinner alone at the dining hall, I saw my opening.

“Hey, you know Tony Dee is graduating this year?” I began.

“Really? What was he on, the six-year plan?”

“Yeah, he started and stopped a couple of times, but he stuck with it,” I stated.

“I figured he was a college lifer. Wow, so they’re letting him graduate. Look out world: Here comes Tony Dee!” Joe declared

“Yeah, so when I heard that, I got to thinking...You know how you want to live in the Towers dorm each year, and I talk you out of it?”

“Yeah. Does this mean you’re finally coming around?”

“Well, not exactly. You see, since Tony Dee is graduating, Josh will be short a roommate. You’re the perfect fit. You know he’d take you in a minute, and you’d get to live in Towers.”

“But what about you?” he asked.

“Well, here’s the deal. You know that I’m seeing someone, right?”

“Yeah, you’ve mentioned it.”

“Well, that certain someone will be coming here in the fall,” I explained.

“Oh, so you’re going to get an off-campus place?”

“No, I’m planning to still live in the dorms.”

Joe was silent for a few seconds as it sank in. “But you can’t...you know that they don’t allow mixed sexes in the same dorm room, right? I mean, that’s a huge no-no. Sure, tricking the system seems easy. You switch dorm mates with another couple, but it always gets found out. People mightier than you have tried and failed. And...well, let’s just say, it’s not something you want to attempt.”

“I'm aware of that. But you see, my situation is a bit different.”

“Uh huh, and why is that?” he said as if he’d heard it all before.

“You see, the certain someone I’m dating is not of the opposite sex?”

He looked at me blankly as he attempted to process the information.

“Huh?”

“I have a boyfriend.”

“A boyfriend? Are you serious? Shit! I had no idea,” he said with a tone of total surprise.

“Yeah, well I had no idea either. I never planned to have a boyfriend or in switching teams or whatever. It just sort of happened. I went with it, and it just worked out that way.”

“You mean it was an accident?” he questioned.

“Well, I don’t know if I’d call it an accident,” I replied. “It was impulsive on my part for sure, but it’s worked out well as a result.”

“Wow, you stud. I never would have guessed. But hey, you know, do what works for you,” he said and gave me a light punch on the shoulder.

“Look, you are my best friend on campus and I’d like to keep it that way. You get what you want—a room in Towers; and I get what I want—a room with Parker. It’s a win-win.”

“That’s his name? Parker? Sounds kind of snobby.”

“No, he’s not snobby at all. It’s just a name. But this is information only between best friends. I don’t want the whole campus knowing my business. So I’m asking you to promise to keep this information to yourself. Please.”

“Sure, dude. You know me. I’m cool with it.”

“And that doesn’t change our friendship,” I reiterated.

“So I can still call you every weekend there’s a good party and for going to dining hall and stuff?”

“Sure. Nothing changes between you and me.”

“You know, I’ll miss having you around,” he confessed.

“I know, I’m going to miss you too. But we’re still going to see plenty of each other. It’s not like we’re going anywhere, just different buildings. Heck, you were crashing at Towers half the time anyway. And Josh is a good guy who will probably laugh at your bad jokes better than me. It’ll be a growth experience for both of us.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s not so bad. But you know, as your best friend, I have to meet him first.”

“Who? Parker?”

“Yes, I have to make sure he’s worthy. I mean, we are going through a lot of changes here, so I want to check him over beforehand,” Joe rationalized.

“OK, I think we can arrange that. I think you’ll like him. Most everyone does.”

“How about inviting him to the hall party we're having next month? You can say he’s a friend of yours and he’ll be coming here next semester. That way you won’t get the third degree, and I can give him the once-over.”

“Uh, yeah that could work. Just don’t scare him. He’s a good kid,” I reasoned.

“If that’s the case, then there’s nothing to worry about.”

A brief silence followed as I stared him down.

“I swear, I will not tell a soul!” he reaffirmed his pledge.

And just like that it was done. A lesser friend would have just moved on and left Joe hanging, but I could never do that. I gave him a reasonable option that I knew Josh would appreciate as well. As a result, Joe and I were still friends and preparations were being laid for next semester.

x

x

x

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.”
–Benjamin Franklin
© 2014 Rip Skor
  • Like 33
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Joe actually took that better than what I anticipated, I thought he'd be a bit more annoyed at the fact that Matt had not told him about Parker earlier.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I suspect Joe took it well because both he and Matt had been through the dating scene, many times before, and weren't afraid of how one more date, would affect their best buds friendship.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..