Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 2,762 Words
  • 4,673 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Landfall - 14. Why is this so hard?

The truth comes out.....finally.

It's dark. Surrounded by warmth. Soft even breathing floats around me. Light weight on my chest. All's right with the world; relaxed, comfortable.

Open my eyes and look down. Greg's head is nestled on one side of my chest, Jonathan's on the other. Their hands are linked in a casual clasp across my belly, just lightly resting. The length of their bodies pressed up against either side, I'm the filling in a sandwich—and not complaining. Feels good.

Just the act of moving is enough to wake Jonathan up; he squirms a little, looks up in my face and whispers “morning”. With that, Greg moves, too, looks up, grinning, wiping the sleep from his eyes. He lifts up a little, leans forward, and gives Jonathan a quick morning kiss.

Apparently, despite my best efforts, both are light sleepers—really made a point not to move too much, and yet they're both awake.

“How ya doing this morning, boss?” Greg looks and smiles.

“I'm ok, I guess. Still groggy from the sleeping pill, but nothing lots of coffee won't fix.” And yeah, the drug hangover from the sleeping aid as well as the drugs from yesterday are in play. “And how are y'all this morning?”

“I'm ok, and I'll be better with coffee, just like you.” Greg nods to Jonathan's assessment. “But I really gotta pee.” With that, Jonathan's up, and damn near jogs to the bathroom, his white ass cheeks flexing. Greg's right behind him; guess they're used to using the bath together, just like many couples. Both of their bodies show the bruises they took yesterday in the plaza.

They're both back in just a moment or two, and resume their places on either side of me under the covers.

“Look, guys, I'm sorry I was just a bawling little kid last night....” But before I could get farther, my need to piss hit too, “but I'll finish that in a minute, I really hafta take a leak!” And I somewhat unsteadly made my way to the john. Stiff and sore myself from those plaza escapades.

After climbing back in bed a few minutes later, I started again, “As I was saying....” Greg starts thrumming his fingers on my chest and interrupts.

“Look, buddy, that sounds suspiciously like an apology—and you've nothing to apologize for. Yesterday was a stressful day for all of us, and you had more to deal with than anyone. You were exhausted, you were still somewhat drug affected, plus emotionally drained. You were where anyone would be after that kind of day—so get over it!” With that, he did a snap in the air, and grinned at Jonathan. Jonathan just nodded and giggled at the stereotypical gay move.

“Yeah, but....well, I like to be a little more in control than that, and I'm sorry I lost it like that in front of ya'll....and God only knows what Dave is thinking.”

“Look, Barry, like Greg said, nothing to apologize for. We told ya a long time ago we're your friends, and anytime you want to talk, we'll listen. We didn't do anything with you last night we haven't done with other friends—we always take care of our buddies, and you just needed friends to blow off steam. And I know Dave understood exactly what was going on.” Greg nodded as Jonathan finished.

“Did Dave ask you to stay with me last night? I know I scared him a little.”

“Yes, he did, but we'd both decided we were gonna stay with ya before we talked with Dave. We'd talked about it before we ever came down here last night after the Assistant Director filled us in on your plan—which was clever as hell, by the way—and we'd figured you'd have a let down from the adrenalin rush of yesterday. Besides, you snore a helluva lot less than Greg.” At that point, Greg grabbed a pillow and promptly slapped Jonathan with it. Hell, thought we were going to have a pillow fight—their good moods, even before coffee, were infectious.

“Ok, thanks guys. Like I said, just don't like losing control like that. And Dave and I will have a chat on this, too....I know I scared him, and he needs to know it won't happen again.” Can't believe I was such a wuss with him. What's he gonna think of me now?

“He's concerned, of course—after all, he does have a thing for you—but I'm sure he understands. Now, if that's that, how about getting some breakfast from room service? We can get cleaned up a little, and eat—I'm hungry!” Greg is already reaching for the menu before he even finishes speaking.

We order, the guys throw on their clothes from last night and head back to their room to get cleaned up, passing the nurse who sticks his head in with a “good morning” and “I'll check back with you after breakfast”. I hit the shower and am feeling far more human as I struggle to get into jeans and a shirt—yeah, I'm still stiff as hell from yesterday—and hear the coded knock at the door.

“Breakfast is here,” the nurse announces, and heads away to get the guys just next door. We all eat like we haven't in days; there's definitely no leftovers. And we're all chugging coffee.

There's a coded knock at the door, then it opens and the nurse comes in. “Mr. Evans, I need to do a quick check up on you, is that ok?” The guys get up, ready to leave and give privacy, but I wave 'em back into place.

“Sure, come on in. Do what you need to do.”

After pulling my shirt up checking my heart, he grabs my wrist and checks my pulse. As he checks eyes, Jonathan turns on the TV with the remote, and local news is on during the break in the national morning show. “Hey, look.”

There's the Assistant Director in the middle of a press conference. “We have leads on the assailants, but nothing we can announce at this point. Our agent who was wounded yesterday is being transferred today to a secure care facility to complete his recovery, and will not be available for interviews until such time he decides he's up to it.” And with that, the local station does a brief replay of the Plaza shooting yesterday, complete with voice-over briefly recapping the story before going back to local weather, then “Good Morning, America”.

We're all sitting there, frozen, open-mouthed.

The video was brutal, taken from on top of one of the TV trucks parked across the street from the plaza.

Bad enough to have lived through it, but seeing it from an outside perspective...well, shit.

No wonder Trey fainted.

After a few minutes of stunned silence, Greg speaks. “That was something, huh?”

No one says a word.

Finally, clear my throat. “Ok, we've seen what it looks like. It's not a play from Sunday's football game. We aren't gonna discuss it again. Period. Next!” And I did the in-air hand snap thing just like Greg had done in bed this morning. It was enough, we all started laughing. And casual banter picked back up.

Dear God, don't ever let me see that video again!

The nurse finished the exam, made some notes in a file, and said goodbyes. We're finishing up what's left of the coffee when there's a coded knock at the door. Jonathan opens it, and promptly steps aside.

Dave is standing there, jeans and t-shirt, bruises on his neck, grinning big.

Best damn sight I've seen.

“Fuck!” And before I know it, I've launched myself across the room, grabbed him in my arms. His arms wrap around me, and I'm kissing him in the hall—hasn't had a chance to make it in.

When we're both out of air, I grab him and pull him in. “Damn, it's so good to see you.” Can't help it, start to cry. You'd think I'd be all cried out, but no. This is relief. My big lug of a lawman is here!

Jonathan and Greg come over, hug Dave too. Then with a “We'll be in our rooms. Come get us when you finish talking,”--don't know which one said that—they're out the door and gone.

So fucking excited I'm shaking. Dave grabs me in a hug, manhandles me to the bed, pushes me down, then lies down beside me.

“I told ya I'd be here, baby. And I'm not letting you go. And we'll talk as long as you want, ok? But I got a few things I need to say first, so just listen, ok?” He kisses me at the temple and curls me up into a hug next to him, my arm across his chest, head on his shoulder. Feels incredible.

“I realized a few things last night, Barry, and you need to know what I'm thinking, so here goes.” He clears his throat, kisses me on the temple again, pulls me to him even tighter if that's possible.

“One of the things I realized is that I haven't done a good job of taking care of ya like I should have. I'd asked you if you need to talk to someone about everything going on in that good-looking noggin of yours. The Assistant Director did, too. But truth be told, we dropped the ball. Even though you said 'not now', that's not a call you're qualified to make, especially right now. So, I've arranged to have a counselor stop by here daily. He'll be here later this afternoon or early evening for the week we'll be here in Dallas during phase two of the plan. You'll also have someone in Florida when we get there. And when phase 3 starts, you'll have someone there, too, for as long as you need.”

“Dave, look, I'm sorry about last night....I was exhausted, I still had a drug hangover, I was lonely—and I put you in the middle of all of that....”

“Stop it, Barry. Just....stop. You were doing exactly what anyone else would have done in your circumstances. You don't need to apologize—I do. I should have realized you needed help to deal with all this stuff, and I didn't get it for you. You've always been a strong man, powering through whatever was going on—and I assumed all this would be the same thing. And you've seen that diagram about what happens when you assume anything.” He grins. “So no, none of this is on you. It's on me—but we'll fix it, ok? So don't apologize again for it—got it?” He smiles down at me, and I can only nod agreement. Overwhelmed by his obvious concern.

“And no more boxing things up inside, buddy. That's not helping you, it's not helping me. We need to keep talking, keep our lines of communication open. I promise I'll do my part on that, Barry, but you gotta work to do that, too.”

“The other part of that is that in some ways, I deferred to you. It was your plan; it's been about trying to make you comfortable with your new identity and setting you up in your new life. I've kinda let you drift into that at a pace you were comfortable with. But the real story is that it's my job to manage that process and direct you into all of that. And probably the best thing for you is to give you some structure you can work within. It'll help you feel better about yourself and your progress if you've got solid goals and know where you stand.”

“From this point forward, you're gonna see me more aggressive, and push you in the direction I think you need to be going. I know you trust me, but this is gonna mean you've gotta let go of your own ego on a few things, and let me take care of you the way I'm supposed to.”

Dave stops at this point, sits up, pulls me up, and continues to hold me in an embrace as those laser-blue eyes focus on me.

“And here's the other thing, Barry—and it's a biggie. I've been an idiot. Last night, I was afraid...afraid I'd lose you. Afraid I'd never get to say the things I need to say to you. I'm fixing that now, too.”

He stops, takes a deep breath, and his eyes seem to look into my soul.

“I'm in love with you, Barry Evans. I wish I could explain in a logical way all the reasons why I love you, but I can only scratch the surface of that. Lemme just say you bring out the best in me. You make me want to be the best man I can. We click at a level I can't explain rationally. Having you in my life makes me complete, and makes me feel more alive than I've been in years.....well, certainly since Keith died. I can't deny those feelings, and I'm not gonna let 'em get in the way of taking care of your cute ass.”

I can't breathe. Never had someone so direct about their feelings about me before.

“But I know there's more, too, Barry. I know you're still figuring things out about everything—including your feelings for me. I don't expect anything but hope you'll let me love you, and maybe someday you'll figure out who I am in your life, and that I'll be an important part of it. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want more from you; but, I'm not pushing on that. But a guy can hope, right?”

Dave is looking at me with a flat smile and misty eyes....and perhaps for the first time ever, I'm realizing I've got a good man's heart in my hands.

Holy shit. Life-defining moment here.

Long pause. Trying to organize my thoughts. Maybe stall for some time to think clearly.

“So....tell me what's going on in there,” as Dave strokes my hair. He's now hardly looking at me, almost afraid of what I'm gonna say.

“Ok. Maybe the idea of a counselor is a good thing. Guess I'm really not handling it all as well as I could be. Just......overwhelmed. Yeah, I need to talk and think through it all.”

“And Dave, it's really important to me that you know I've never tried to fight ya on anything you wanted to do. I trust you implicitly, and you've proven over and over that I'm justified in that. You're the professional here, so take the lead when you need to—I'm cool with that.”

“I'll promise I'll always try to be open, honest, and direct with you. You deserve that. Think I've been doing that, but I'll make an extra effort.”

Clear my throat. This next part is fucking tough.

“As far as you and me, well, I'm still trying to get my head around parts of that, and figure the counselor will help. But still........you need to know I think I'm falling in love with you, too. Don't know if I'm bi or gay or just gay for you—maybe the counseling will clear that up for me—but like I told my boys, there's no one else but you. I haven't looked at any other guys with any degree of emotional or sexual interest. You make my heart race a little faster, make my dick harder, and in spite of the fact I don't know what to do with a guy sexually, I know you're important to me and I wanna make you as happy as you make me. And when you call me 'baby', there's a part of me that melts inside.”

Dave is beaming at this point.

God, why is this so hard?

“Ok, ok. Direct answer: Yeah, I'm in love with you. And your patience with me has been both appreciated and gratifying. Just promise you won't give up on me, ok? This is a helluva journey, and I'm in the dark with no flashlight. I'm still learning a whole bunch about me that I apparently didn't know I needed to learn. As long as I know you're gonna be with me, I'll make it out ok.”

And I kissed him. Best kiss I know how to give. Felt totally right.

Thanks for following the story! I appreciate your likes and comments!
I try to publish every 5 days, so either check back or click on "follow this story" to get the most current update.
By the way, my first story "Joe the Welder" is the featured story in the CSR book club this month. A forum site will be open Monday 1/26, and you can ask any questions of me you'd like about Joe--or anything else! And, I'll be live in the forum from 7-9 Central Monday night for immediate response. It's a quick story, so please read through and join us!
Copyright © 2015 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Outstanding work, Robert. It was about friendship, love, and taking the leap with a commitment to work on it. They need each other, yeah... but it's more than that. They want to BE with each other and have the guts and determination to acknowledge it. David's concern for Barry's well being is touching... it's born out of professionalism... but it's fueled by his love for Barry. It was nice that he brought up Keith in the context that he did. Barry is the new light in his life now. Barry is that one, that made Dave's pain recede back to where it should be and now he has a second chance to be happy. Thriugh all the drama and work still to come, this was very uplifting...Kudos, my friend...Gary

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 01/26/2015 06:20 AM, Headstall said:
Outstanding work, Robert. It was about friendship, love, and taking the leap with a commitment to work on it. They need each other, yeah... but it's more than that. They want to BE with each other and have the guts and determination to acknowledge it. David's concern for Barry's well being is touching... it's born out of professionalism... but it's fueled by his love for Barry. It was nice that he brought up Keith in the context that he did. Barry is the new light in his life now. Barry is that one, that made Dave's pain recede back to where it should be and now he has a second chance to be happy. Thriugh all the drama and work still to come, this was very uplifting...Kudos, my friend...Gary
Thanks for the kind words, Gary!

Barry's admission of his feelings kinda got me--he's kept his emotions so tied/boxed for so long, now that they're out, he's having a real time wrestling with 'em!

Thanks again for the kind words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter. Great story. Can feel all the emotions and feelings and interactions. Not so great at reviews, but loving it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Very enjoyable. You give us a story of two stressed out men acknowledging their love for each other, to themselves first and then to the other person. You take the lovey-dovey stuff right up to mushy without crossing over into sappy, chick-movie crap.

I love the fact you don't waste endless paragraphs describing self-doubts and flights of fancy but you let it all hang out. It still gets us emotional without having to crawl the stupid filler so often seen in stories. That was two men showing their feelings instead of two females masquerading as men. Damn do I despise that yaoi crap! I'm probably being politically incorrect here... :rolleyes:

You know I'm a fan and have been from the moment you introduced me to Joe and Rex. I'm real happy about that story being featured this month in the discussion here at GA. You probably feel like a proud father and you should.

Big hugs bud, and I'll by the second round but I'm not going near that damn pool table! :D

Carlos

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Another wonderful chapter of love...your characters 'scream' the kind of love we all aspire to!! Looking forward to ANYTHING you write!! Thanks once again, for sharing. :worship:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/26/2015 12:47 PM, Onim said:
Another wonderful chapter of love...your characters 'scream' the kind of love we all aspire to!! Looking forward to ANYTHING you write!! Thanks once again, for sharing. :worship:
Thanks for the comments!

This is a different kind of story, one of strong mature men, and glad they're confident enough in themselves to talk about their feelings. Keep reading--there's more!

Thanks again for the kind words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/26/2015 11:37 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
Very enjoyable. You give us a story of two stressed out men acknowledging their love for each other, to themselves first and then to the other person. You take the lovey-dovey stuff right up to mushy without crossing over into sappy, chick-movie crap.

I love the fact you don't waste endless paragraphs describing self-doubts and flights of fancy but you let it all hang out. It still gets us emotional without having to crawl the stupid filler so often seen in stories. That was two men showing their feelings instead of two females masquerading as men. Damn do I despise that yaoi crap! I'm probably being politically incorrect here... :rolleyes:

You know I'm a fan and have been from the moment you introduced me to Joe and Rex. I'm real happy about that story being featured this month in the discussion here at GA. You probably feel like a proud father and you should.

Big hugs bud, and I'll by the second round but I'm not going near that damn pool table! :D

Carlos

Thanks, Carlos!

Think the contrast of these characters to others is really interesting. You've got two men who are "bottom-line" kind of guys, used to analyzing a situation, making a decision, then moving forward confidently. Compare their knowledge/life experiences with some of the young adult characters found elsewhere, and you can see why they think and act the wa they do.

Plus, readers are smart enough to figure out the mental gymnastics that may be going on--their minds are far sharper/faster than mine--and I'd do a disservice by going into minute detal. And yet, the emotions need to come through as both honestic and realistic.

And, since you mentioned the CSR discussion for my first story, "Joe the Welder", the "interview" with me is up and the discussion form is accepting questions. Since I've not done this before, I went to "Forums" then centered "CSR discussion" to get to the site. I'm also giving the shortcut here: http://www.gayauthors.org/forums/blog/258/entry-15182-csr-discussion-day-joe-the-welder-by-robert-rex/

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/26/2015 08:54 AM, Quiet man said:
Great chapter. Great story. Can feel all the emotions and feelings and interactions. Not so great at reviews, but loving it.
Thanks, Quiet!

It's a tough chapter--the doubts about self, the confidence in the other man to be able to let the feeling out, was tough to write! I want the feelings to come thorugh without being maudeline or mushy. I want real emotions not a characature to come through!

Thanks for the kind words--and hope you'll keep reading. There's more ahead!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I really enjoyed this chapter. Barry and Dave are talking and discussing what they really mean to each other now that the adrenaline has stopped flowing. I also like that Dave is not letting Barry get away with "boxing up" his thoughts and feelings. The only way these two will work in he long run is if they keep the lines of communication open and are honest with each other. (Sorry if that's a little too "chick flick" for Carlos Hahaha). Great chapter Robert! Look forward to the next one.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/27/2015 07:26 AM, LitLover said:
I really enjoyed this chapter. Barry and Dave are talking and discussing what they really mean to each other now that the adrenaline has stopped flowing. I also like that Dave is not letting Barry get away with "boxing up" his thoughts and feelings. The only way these two will work in he long run is if they keep the lines of communication open and are honest with each other. (Sorry if that's a little too "chick flick" for Carlos Hahaha). Great chapter Robert! Look forward to the next one.
Thanks for the comments, Lit! Yeah, think this may have been a real turning point for Barry--he's not going to be able to box stuff; he'll hafta deal with it when it occurs. And, it may be the first time in a relationship that Barry has ever been held accountable for who he is/what he does--his marriage seemed to allow pretty much free reign.

Thanks again for following along!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

still loving the journey. I love the change in pace now that things are calming down. You're a good writer. Your dialogue is fresh and unfettered. love it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/30/2015 04:38 PM, Ben Highlander said:
still loving the journey. I love the change in pace now that things are calming down. You're a good writer. Your dialogue is fresh and unfettered. love it.
Thanks Ben!

I appreciate the kind words..and glad you're enjoying the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/02/2015 02:07 AM, CNJKevin said:
Ok. More than 5 days has passed. We need chapter 15 please!!
Sorry, CNJ....rough week here, and life kinda got in the way of getting this out! Check back in a few minutes--the newest chapter should be up!

I appreciate your following along--and you're anticipation for the new chapter is gratifying!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Trying to get caught up after vacation. Very important chapter in Barry's story and you did it well. The exploding emotions following such an event have to be sorted and dealt with. I was a bit confused with Greg and Jonathan at the beginning but it came together well. Great job and now onto the next chapter...:)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/04/2015 01:45 AM, Cole Matthews said:
Trying to get caught up after vacation. Very important chapter in Barry's story and you did it well. The exploding emotions following such an event have to be sorted and dealt with. I was a bit confused with Greg and Jonathan at the beginning but it came together well. Great job and now onto the next chapter...:)
The emotions ARE overwhelming, and combined with fatigue and drugs from the shooting, no wonder Barry's emotional defenses were down, and he could no longer "box" all those up!

I was as much surprised by Dave's emotional response--truly fearful, and somewhat emotionally rambling. THAT may have been the emotional breakthrough needed.

Glad ya enjoyed the chapter, and glad you're back. Looking forward to more of your work!

Thanks for the comments!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Love the acronym--DIC... so funny. I finally remembered to go put my likes in (I was out of them the night I read most of the story--sorry). Glad to see Barry will be getting help from the therapist. Hopefully they will now have a chance to settle down and focus on their relationship. Keep up the good work!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/05/2015 12:12 PM, craftingmom said:
Love the acronym--DIC... so funny. I finally remembered to go put my likes in (I was out of them the night I read most of the story--sorry). Glad to see Barry will be getting help from the therapist. Hopefully they will now have a chance to settle down and focus on their relationship. Keep up the good work!
LOL! Glad ya liked the acronym! Think Dave becoming DIC is part of the relationship-building process. Every relationship has a "give and take" component, and it's great to see Dave step up to the plate to take the lead in the building relationship. And, gonna be interesting to see Barry explore himself; lots of men (I think) so lock themselves up emotionally that they never learn the skills to fully learn from life. His learning curve about himself may be far more than he expects!

Thanks for the review--and the kind words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/12/2015 07:25 AM, Daddydavek said:
Catching up and I like that Dave insisted on counseling starting sooner rather than later! On to Ch. 15.
Good thing Dave insisted on counseling! It's proven to be a good call!

Thanks for the comments!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/11/2015 at 11:25 PM, Daddydavek said:

Catching up and I like that Dave insisted on counseling starting sooner rather than later! On to Ch. 15.

Agreed. The sooner the better. It's already been weeks since rhe shooting of his wife. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Loving it Rex. 😍 Dave is so good for Barry. This is a dream team. 

Chapter 15 awaits

 

Edited by Doha
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..