Jump to content
    Robert Rex
  • Author
  • 2,498 Words
  • 4,275 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Landfall - 18. Doc, I'm Worried.....

A dark chapter. It's been pretty calm--is the backside of the eye of the storm approaching?

“Doc, I'm worried.”

“What's going on, Dave?” Brian Schmitt, Bureau psychiatrist, and long-time friend, is on the phone with me. And even though it's just 9am Dallas time, he sounds wide awake, and interested—apparently he's a morning man, and gets rolling early in the day.

"Doc, Barry saw his face yesterday, and freaked out. Even though he looks like the projection the surgeon gave us, he was damn near catatonic on the way back to our place. I ordered dinner, he ate 3 or 4 bites of it. Later, when we got in bed together, he stayed totally on his side of the bed, and we normally cuddle. He wouldn't let me touch him. He cried some. He tossed and turned all night, apparently with nightmares, and talked some in his sleep. Couldn't really make out what he was saying, other than hearing him call his wife and his boys. He's still asleep and it's already past 10am here.”

“Dave, he and I talked about this, I gave him some exercises to mentally adjust to his new face, and.....”

“Doc,” I interrupted, “it's not just the face issue. He's been on a downhill slide ever since the Dallas shooting. That night he kinda had a meltdown on the phone with me—that's why I called you the next day and set his first appointment with you. He did that appointment, and it seemed to help some. He perked up a little, ate a normal meal that night, and actually initiated sex. He had surgery the next day, but since then he's not eating normally—just picks at his food—and sleeps all the time. For the first couple of days after his surgery, I could understand his sleeping, but it's all I can do to get him out and doing anything.”

“Sometimes he'll look at me and there's such sadness it fucking kills me. Other times, I'll glance at him and there's fear. And other times I'll look at him and there's so much anger it scares me. It's like he's on a roller coaster of emotions.”

“Saturday night, we went out for dinner at some friends' house. Even though he managed to go out, he was quiet throughout the evening, barely ate the food in front of him, and complained how 'full' he was—even though he really didn't eat more than a few bites. And since then he's had no energy, sleeping a lot—and then he saw his face. And freaked.”

“Doc, here's the bottom line—think my boy is in the middle of an emotional collapse. Major depression at a minimum. And I'm not certain that I'm gonna be enough for him on this. Can you talk with him today, maybe around noon, and then come down and talk with him tomorrow? I know that's Friday, and you're ready to get off for the weekend, but I'm really concerned.”

“Dave, I'll have to get approval for that, it's not that I can just take off like that.” At least Doc is open to the idea of being here.

“Doc, don't worry about that. I'll make a call, and then call you back with the approval you need. But, please do plan on talking with Barry at noon today and make your own assessment.”

“Ok, Dave, I'll plan on calling at noon your time, and I'll be here for your phone call.”

“Great! I'll talk with ya in a few minutes, Doc!”

My next call was to Sid Gladstone, Assistant Director of the Bureau. After a brief chat with his secretary, I was passed through to him.

“David, nice to hear from you. And just what do I owe the pleasure of this call?” His sincerity comes through. “Everything going ok with Barry and with you?”

“That's why I'm calling. Barry isn't handling all of this well, and when he saw his new face yesterday, he kinda freaked out. I'm afraid there's a lot floating around in his head, and he's not dealing with it. He's had one visit with Doc, and that seemed to help—so I'd like to get Doc to fly in and spend the weekend here. If you'll approve that, I'll get him here tomorrow, and he can stay over.”

“Is it really that bad, David?”

I went over the same stuff I'd told Doc.

“I guess I shouldn't be surprised—in the space of two months, he's had to deal with his wife's death, set up his own murder, willingly surrender his career and life in Dallas, give up his boys, get a new face, and soon, a new life and career in a new location. That's a helluva lot for anyone to deal with. A damn hurricane of emotions, and I know it's not done yet. Yes, I'll authorize Doc to come in tomorrow, and he can stay there over the weekend.”

“In fact, that'll probably work well. I'll fly in on Friday, too; I've got a proposition for both you and for Barry we need to discuss. It's big, and I want to review it with both of you at once—and no, I'm not going into any detail about it now.” He laughs at keeping this secret. “It will also give me and Doc a chance to talk about how Barry's doing, and all of us—you, Doc, Barry, and me--can figure out what the next steps need to be.”

“Great. Thanks, Sid, I'll call Doc and let him know you've approved his trip. I'm going ahead and having him talk with Barry at noon, but really do think it's a good idea to have Doc here for some intense, face-to-face work.”

“Ok, David, enough about Barry—how are you doing? No bullshit, ok?” This isn't just an official inquiry; his concern comes through loud and clear.

“I'm ok, I guess. I'm just really worried about Barry right now. He's normally been a pretty strong guy, and right now he's pulled back so much it kinda scares me. Hasn't changed my feelings about him—if anything, they're stronger and more protective. But I think I'm still professionally objective about him, and I'm not worried about being able to do my job.”

“David, I've no doubt that you're doing a good job with him. Right now, he's hurting and in the middle of so many changes, I'm glad you're there. And I'm about to get personal, so if I'm out of line, please say so; are you guys a couple?”

Long pause. He already knows everything going on with this case, might as well fill him in on all of it.

“Yes, sir. I know he loves he. And I love him.” And there's an odd moment of pride that comes with acknowledging our status with him.

“Good. I figured that was on its way, just based on the discussion I had with Barry after the plaza shooting in Dallas last week. Glad to hear it—congratulations.” No false notes of insincerity there.

“I'll see you tomorrow, David, and I'm calling Doc's boss to authorize his trip down. Good bye!” And the call ends.

I call Doc back. “You're approved to fly out tomorrow. You're being authorized now, and the arrangements are being made. Let me know what time you decide to fly out, and I'll meet you at the airport, and bring you back here.”

“Will do, Dave....in fact, my secretary just brought in travel arrangements for me. I'll be leaving first thing, and will see you and Barry around 10:30 tomorrow. I'll be there at least the weekend. The authorization is pretty much open-ended, so I'll be staying until we decide I'm no longer needed. Just didn't realize this case was that big, Dave—this came from the A.D.”

I chuckled. “Yeah, he's been involved in this, actually managing parts of the operation directly. Really didn't figure your boss would object if the request to get you here came from him. Just consider it a little vacation time from the Bureau.” We both chuckled.

“I'll see you tomorrow, Dave. Thanks!”

Time to get Barry up. I stop by the coffee bar in the lobby, grab a large coffee cup, cream in the lower third, hot coffee to fill, then a packet of sugar. Barry likes an almost dessert coffee in the morning. Nothing like a sweet cafe au lait to start the day, right?

Use the key, get in the room, only to find Barry, curled up in a fetal position on the bed, face half buried under the covers. The part of his face I can see is wet with tears, but he's sound asleep—never knew you could cry while you slept.

“Barry, wake up. Time to start the day.” Trying my best “happy morning” voice. Barry just grunts and curls up tighter into the ball.

I reach out, put my hand on his shoulder protected by the cover—and he flinches. “Go away, leave me alone.”

“Aw, come on, Barry, get up. I brought ya coffee, so that'll help to start your day—you can have coffee in bed.” I try to make the tone light, but it's not helping.

“Please, just leave me alone. I can't talk to you right now. Just fucking GO!” Ok?” His explosion catches me off guard.

“Barry, it's ok. I know you're having a rough time right now, but...”

“GOD DAMNIT, I SAID FUCKING GET OUT! NOW!” He's shouting and sobbing with anger.

I put the coffee on the nightstand, and jump on top of his body, pinning him to the bed underneath me and the sheet and blanket.

“Barry, I'm not going anywhere. I love you, and you're stuck with me.” I kiss him on top of his head—the only part I can see—and pull him tighter to me. “Now, you wanna tell me what's going on?”

“I just.....I just...fuck, my life is a mess, and now with this new face I look like shit. How can you love me? How can I believe that? What am I gonna do now? I can't live like this....” He's sobbing and it's breaking my heart to hear him this down.

“Shussh.....it's gonna be ok. I'm not going anywhere. I love you, I'm staying. You're a damn fine looking man, and that hasn't changed. We'll work through this together, baby.” I'm pulsing squeezes against everything I can touch with these damn bedclothes in the way. And really trying not to start crying myself. That's the last thing that's needed right now.

“Come on, Barry, we're gonna work through this, together, ok? Just hang on to me—I'm gonna be here for you. I'm not leaving your ass anywhere, you got that?” He reaches an arm out from under the cover and pulls me down to his head. Good sign.

Long sigh from within the sheets. “I'm sorry, I'm ….well, I'm out of control, Dave. Don't know what I need to do next. And the face, well, it's not me. And I'm questioning everything. I just.....well, I don't know....”

“Look Barry, it's ok. I kinda felt like you were having some issues, so I called Doc this morning. He's gonna call in a little over an hour, at noon. That way, you can talk through things with him, ok?” I kiss his temple as a little more of his face slips out from under the covers.

He finally pulls his face fully out from behind the sheet. He looks like shit—red faced, eyes swollen from crying, snotty nose, the whole works.

“You think you can ever love someone like me?” He looks up with eyes of almost terror—and promptly hiccups. “Damn hiccups....I always get 'em when I cry.” He wipes his nose and does a tortured laugh. “Damn hiccups.”

I squeeze him closer, so tight a casual observer would think I'm crushing him. “You aren't scaring me away with those hiccups, guy...I'm here for the long haul. Now, you want to have some coffee, and try to get rid of 'em? By the time you finish, you'll have time for a quick shower before you talk with Doc.”

Finally get him up, into the shower. He's out, pulling on a pair of shorts when my phone rings. It's Doc.

“This is for you. I'll be out by the pool when you and Doc are done, so come find me.” I leave 'em to their conversation, head out to the pool.

By 1pm, Barry's not here and I'm hungry, so order out for pizza from the front desk. Pizza guy arrives maybe 30 minutes later, bringing a large pizza and a six-pack. I tip him well for the extra beer pick-up, and am just about to pop the box open when Barry appears.

“You ok, Barry? Come join me for pizza.” He's standing like a lost little kid, hands moving from his sides to clasp behind his back, then to his sides again. Shifting from side to side on his feet. Not looking me in the eye like he normally does.

“Look, Dave....I owe ya an apology. I'm sorry you saw me like that—I'm really not mad at you....I'm mad at me. And I haven't handled any of this nearly well enough. But I still love ya, and hope you can forgive me for being ….well, like that.” He looks like he's about to cry again.

“You don't need to apologize for how you're feeling, ever. Not with me. I can handle anything you throw at me, just include me in it, ok? I'm not running, and what we have is worth fighting for...so you're stuck with me, got it, mister?” I smile, hoping to soften the words, lighten the mood. And it works.

He's looking relieved. “Doc said he's coming in tomorrow, we'll be able to get a lot done face-to-face, and he's planning on staying through the weekend. It's gonna be intense, but I think it'll be good for me. Is that alright?”

“You bet it's alright! Whatever you need to do is gonna be better for us. I'm good with it. But ya also need to know, Barry, that the Assistant Director is flying in tomorrow, too. He's got something he wants to talk to both of us about. So it looks like it's going to be a busy weekend.” Barry nods and reaches for the pizza box.

“Let's eat, Dave. I'm hungry.” He grins a smile of normalcy.

We bullshit by the pool the rest of the afternoon, grab a sandwich from the corner deli a couple or three blocks away, and relax the rest of the evening.

That night, we curl up together in bed, just like always. Barry falls asleep immediately, his head on my chest, my arms wrapped around him, sleeping the sleep of the exhausted. Thankfully, I'm moments behind him to dreamland.

Tomorrow is gonna be a big day—I can feel it coming.

Thanks for following along with the story! I apologize for the delay, had some personal things going on. (Great thanks to OKFlash and Headstall for their quick review of the chapter on short notice.)
I should be back on schedule with the next chapter on or before the 25th.
Let me know what you think with your "likes" or comments!
Copyright © 2015 Robert Rex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 2
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

R-

Thank you for keeping the story fresh!

Wasn't sure what you were gonna do after Dallas and kept trying to figure out where you were going. I'm guessing bringing in the bigger boss will lead to that. So many stories begin with so much promise and then fizzle out after a few chapters it becomes frustrating. When the characters keep repeating themselves in word and action it's time to pull the plug on the tale and move on to the next one.I'd rather read a shorter one that leaves me wanting more than a longer one I become bored with.

You're still going after the big "landfall" and yet I'm still glued to the page. Keep it up buddy!

 

C-

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Barry's anguish was Dave's anguish. You showed that beautifully. I could almost hear and see the desperation in Dave, to help Barry through this. As I already told you, you made me cry! Tomorrow's another day but you managed to get them through this one, and they're curled up together again, as it should be. Another amazing job on furthering the story, buddy. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 08:50 AM, Carlos Hazday said:
R-

Thank you for keeping the story fresh!

Wasn't sure what you were gonna do after Dallas and kept trying to figure out where you were going. I'm guessing bringing in the bigger boss will lead to that. So many stories begin with so much promise and then fizzle out after a few chapters it becomes frustrating. When the characters keep repeating themselves in word and action it's time to pull the plug on the tale and move on to the next one.I'd rather read a shorter one that leaves me wanting more than a longer one I become bored with.

You're still going after the big "landfall" and yet I'm still glued to the page. Keep it up buddy!

 

C-

Thanks for the kind words, Carlos!

Glad you're still finding the story fresh and interesting--and yeah, there are still a few surprises ahead. The next chapter will show a couple of things.

Thanks for hanging in there with me on this! Appreciate your support!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 08:51 AM, Daddydavek said:
Dave did the right thing by getting the shrink.

I wonder what plans the AD has?

More please!

Thanks, Daddy for the comments--and you're right, Dave really has intervened in getting Doc back in the picture--Barry was/is heading to a full meltdown, just hope Doc can make that kind of difference! And, think the AD is gonna surprise us all....

Thanks for following...the next chapter will be out shortly.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 08:56 AM, Headstall said:
Barry's anguish was Dave's anguish. You showed that beautifully. I could almost hear and see the desperation in Dave, to help Barry through this. As I already told you, you made me cry! Tomorrow's another day but you managed to get them through this one, and they're curled up together again, as it should be. Another amazing job on furthering the story, buddy. Cheers...Gary
Thanks, Gary!

This is a tough chapter to report--the depths of Barry's despair (damn near suicidal) and Dave's hurt and realization he can't do it all alone in trying to help Barry are heartbreaking for both men. Just hoping Doc can help Barry keep it together. Great to know that Dave is in it for the long haul.

Thanks for the kind words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Dave did a wonderful job with Barry in this chapter. He knew that Barry needed more help than he could give and called the doctor. Most importantly, he didn't let Barry push him away. I love that he laid down with him and held him tight and assured him he wasn't going to leave. Barry needed to hear that...and will need to hear it again and again until his life starts to even out again. Dave is completely off kilter and hurting right now and his face is just a physical manifestion of all of the changes in his life in such a short period of time. I guess seeing his changed face really made that hit home even more for him. I am really curious to hear what the AD has to say. Sounds like it'll be big...and hopefully something good. Excellent chapter Robert. Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 10:42 AM, LitLover said:
Dave did a wonderful job with Barry in this chapter. He knew that Barry needed more help than he could give and called the doctor. Most importantly, he didn't let Barry push him away. I love that he laid down with him and held him tight and assured him he wasn't going to leave. Barry needed to hear that...and will need to hear it again and again until his life starts to even out again. Dave is completely off kilter and hurting right now and his face is just a physical manifestion of all of the changes in his life in such a short period of time. I guess seeing his changed face really made that hit home even more for him. I am really curious to hear what the AD has to say. Sounds like it'll be big...and hopefully something good. Excellent chapter Robert. Thank you!
Lit, you're exactly right--Dave instinctively knew he was in "over his head" with Barry, and moved quickly. I must admit I admire how consistent Dave has always been in his dealings with Barry; he's always consistent, and manages to step up to provide the reassurance Barry needs. Barry's new face apparently DID act as a trigger point for everything--and it would certainly do that for all of us to virtually overnight have a modified face!

And, the AD must be bringing something big, based on what he said, and his willingness to stay involved in the case.

Thanks for the kind words, Lit--I appreciate you following the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well handled, the death of a friend albeit in reverse would be extremely stressful for anyone so the chaos of loosing all of ones previous life. Like all the previous chapters it is nicely structured and flows with good pace and does not become bogged down. This is an excellent read.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

That was fascinating and quite powerful. Frank/Barry is trying to cope with his losses. Dave is wonderful. His concern and care is coming through so beautifully. Guys do withdraw when they face such erasure. His reaction was believable and moving. This chapter is very thoughtful and must have been challenging to write. You did a great job. I am impressed.

I can't wait to see what's next. Thank you for sharing it. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 12:04 PM, Dathi said:
Well handled, the death of a friend albeit in reverse would be extremely stressful for anyone so the chaos of loosing all of ones previous life. Like all the previous chapters it is nicely structured and flows with good pace and does not become bogged down. This is an excellent read.
Thanks for the kind words, Dathi!

The story has developed it's own flow, and it's hard to realize just how much has happened to Barry/Frank unti the Assistant Director starts itemizing it all out. Absolutely terrifying.

Glad you're enjoying the story--thanks for following along!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/19/2015 01:45 PM, Cole Matthews said:
That was fascinating and quite powerful. Frank/Barry is trying to cope with his losses. Dave is wonderful. His concern and care is coming through so beautifully. Guys do withdraw when they face such erasure. His reaction was believable and moving. This chapter is very thoughtful and must have been challenging to write. You did a great job. I am impressed.

I can't wait to see what's next. Thank you for sharing it. :)

Cole, thank you for the comments!

Yup, this one WAS a tough chapter to write! Barry's depression is such that he's questioning whether he can go on--and yet through it all Dave hangs in despite his fears and becomes a real hero in the moment. And yet, despite the depression, Dave still continues to recognize Barry's depression as merely a temporary aberation, knowing that underneath it all Barry is a strong man.

Not quite as complex as your superb "Barbed Wire Heart" story, this one has been fun to tell--and there's more to come. THANK YOU for the comments and following the story!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Rex, just when I think you can't do any better, you knock another one outta the park! I really see all of this happening and it's all realistic! You say this is only your second story but I think you're really a ringer! Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 02/24/2015 01:11 PM, CNJKevin said:
Rex, just when I think you can't do any better, you knock another one outta the park! I really see all of this happening and it's all realistic! You say this is only your second story but I think you're really a ringer! Thank you for sharing your talents with us!
Aw, thanks, CNJ! Glad you're enjoying the story so far--but hang on, there's more stuff ahead! In fact, the next chapter may be out later today or tomorrow morn!

Wish I could claim otherwise, but this really is my 2nd story--sorry, no ringer here. Now if I could make some money from it!

Definately glad you've stuck around for the tale so far--and thanks for the kind words!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I usually fumble when it comes to giving reviews, and have a tendency to settle for hitting the "like" button. But I thought---what the heck, give a man his props. lol I just had to come out of the shadows to commend you for writing this phenomenal tale of love, and adventure. Each chapter brings something new, and keeps me wanting more. I cannot wait for the next exciting chapter. Kudos Rex!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/26/2015 07:07 PM, R J Drew said:
I usually fumble when it comes to giving reviews, and have a tendency to settle for hitting the "like" button. But I thought---what the heck, give a man his props. lol I just had to come out of the shadows to commend you for writing this phenomenal tale of love, and adventure. Each chapter brings something new, and keeps me wanting more. I cannot wait for the next exciting chapter. Kudos Rex!
Thanks for the kind words, RJ!

I'm glad the story is keeping your interest up--it's been a fun story to tell, and like life (which keeps getting in the way of my updates!) is filled with surprises. The next chapter should be out tomorrow, and I'm hoping you'll continue to enjoy!

Thanks for the comments, buddy--glad ya came out of the shadows, and I appreciate your input; it's a real motivator for me to keep writing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Severe depression kills your will to live; I know first hand and you recreated it for us with just a few paragraphs. Tough, personally to read, but excellent writing without being preachy. Barry and Dave have a plate full to deal with ..............and THEY hopefully will.........THANKS :)Mike

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/22/2015 11:44 PM, flamingo136 said:
Severe depression kills your will to live; I know first hand and you recreated it for us with just a few paragraphs. Tough, personally to read, but excellent writing without being preachy. Barry and Dave have a plate full to deal with ..............and THEY hopefully will.........THANKS :)Mike
The cycles of depression, guilt, hopelessness, and fear are tough to create--but glad you found that coming through clearly!

And yeah, there are more adventures ahead for our heroes--glad y ou're enjoying it all!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 2/26/2015 at 11:07 AM, Former Member said:

I usually fumble when it comes to giving reviews, and have a tendency to settle for hitting the "like" button. But I thought---what the heck, give a man his props. lol I just had to come out of the shadows to commend you for writing this phenomenal tale of love, and adventure. Each chapter brings something new, and keeps me wanting more. I cannot wait for the next exciting chapter. Kudos Rex!

It really is a phenomenal story.

Link to comment

It was nice to read from Dave's point of view. Glad Doc is coming down. Now he is a drag horse. I'm interested to know more about him too. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..