Jump to content
    robertlee
  • Author
  • 366 Words
  • 18,249 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Being Cam - 15. October 31st

My nerves were at the highest threat level. Nate came over and we got ready together. It was cheesy and cute. I loved every second of it. Mom somehow came through again with an amazing outfit.

“You have to look great for your first dance together. This is one for the history books!”

Mom was as dramatic as me. It must be where I got it from.

“Mom, stop. It’s just a dance. No one has to know anything if we don’t want them to.”

Nate hovered off to the side as my Mom fussed with me.

“Don’t get too comfortable Nate. You’re next, love.”

He visible shrunk into his suit, clearly afraid my Mom was going to kill him or something. I watched the clock carefully as the minutes ticked by. Each tick another second closer to our triumphant entrance. Two boys going to a dance together. Maybe it was history in the making.

Finally, Mom was pleased with both of our appearances. “All right, boys. Picture time. No complaints this time Cameron.”

Ugh. I hated when my full name came out. Nate lit up at the sound of it. I knew what he was thinking.

“Don’t get any funny idea. You say that, I dump you.” He mocked hurt and started laughing.

My heart was full. Enriched. Teeming over with love and warmth. Never did I imagine things like this would happen to me. Not at this age at least. Mom snapped away and I didn’t mind. I wanted as many pictures as she could get to remember this by.

Two grey, steel doors stood between us and the halls of our school. Everyone else was already there. Music was thumping. Kids were laughing and talking. Nate and I looked into each other’s eyes, silently sending encouragement to each other. Nate put his hand out between us, Mom close behind with her camera ready.

“Ready?” His voice was sweet and determined. Soothing whatever fear remained.

I locked our fingers together, ready to face whatever challenges lied ahead.

“Ready.”

We pushed the doors open, all eyes on us as we strode in. Mom clicked her camera behind us, tears streaming down her face.

Copyright © 2017 robertlee; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..