Jump to content
    Ron
  • Author
  • 2,222 Words
  • 1,279 Views
  • 8 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Prompt Response - 2. Prompt 275

span>Tag – The Twist

Make a Connection

By R.L. Hunter

 

Ben Taggard was just about to sit down and eat a fried bologna sandwich with mustard and ketchup for lunch. He rather liked bologna sandwiches but eating one for the reason that money was tight and he had gone over his food budget, and the cupboard was rather spare… not so much. The first bite was delicious despite his circumstances and he was just about to take another when the doorbell rang. ‘Why not?’ He thought to himself and got up to answer the door.

“Hello.” Ben greeted. The man at his door wore grunge style clothing and had a messenger bag slung over his shoulder. He didn't appear too much younger than Ben but the physical contrast in appearance was dramatic. Where Ben was just over six feet and could be called skinny at one hundred fifty pounds, the guy in front of him was muscular in all the right places and several tattoos were visible. Add to that a mop of disheveled brown hair, a scruffy face, a pair of big blue eyes and a shockingly pink pair of lips. Lips that were moving. Ben embarrassed that he had missed what was being said, shook his head and asked the guy to repeat himself.

“Are you Benjamin Taggard?” he asked with a sly smile. Ben nodded his head and hoped he wasn't blushing too much as clearly the guy recognized he had been checking him out. He pulled his bag around and fished out a large manila envelope and an electronic pad, which he handed to Ben. “Sign here, please.” He pointed to the spot for the signature. “Here you go Benjamin.” He handed over the envelope and when Ben made a grab for it, the guy winked at him. With a slight wave of the hand, the guy turned around and made his way to a car parked at the curb. Just before hopping in, he paused, looked up at Ben and gave him a smile.

‘Well, that went well.’ Ben thought as he ripped the tab to the envelope. Inside was another official looking sealed envelope addressed to him. So, bologna sandwich forgotten for the moment, Ben headed for his home office slash unused guest bedroom. Ben grabbed a pair of scissors and after shaking the contents of the envelope to one side, he carefully snipped off the end.

 

Mr. Benjamin Taggard,

GAO Productions is creating an exciting new game show called Make The Connection for WGAYZ Television network and we are soon to be beginning our taping for the show. We at GAO Productions would like to extend an invitation to you as one of a select group of individuals, chosen to be among the first to appear on the show. Have we caught your curiosity? Are you excited? It is an exciting opportunity and one that we at GAO Productions are sure you will enjoy.

Please fill in the information on the enclosed form. A postage paid envelope has been included for your convenience. Be sure to include the best phone number you can be reached at and your email information so we may set up a good time for a telephone pre-interview. We here at GAO Productions and WGAYZ Television network are waiting for your prompt response. Please call the included toll free number within seven days. We would not want you to miss the deadline. Remember, production taping of the show begins soon. We look forward to your reply.

 

“Well, I’ll be damned,” Ben said aloud. Nothing like this had ever happened to him and he found that he was a little excited at the prospect of being on a game show. He then remembered his sandwich and the reason for eating it and he thought, ‘Oh, my God. I might be able to win some cash.’ On his way back to the kitchen, The Flying Lizards version of Money (That’s What I Want) sprang into his head. Therefore, humming the music and singing the parts when he remembered the lyrics, he returned to his sandwich and began to think about his possible sudden good fortune.

 

Ben examined the room booked for him and decided it wasn't bad. Not that he had much experience with travel or hotels and it was only for three days. The flight had been smooth sailings dream with sunny skies much of the way. Although it was just getting on eight pm L.A. time, with the East Coast time difference and the stress of the trip, Ben was wearing down. He decided that a light meal in the Hotel restaurant followed by an early bedtime was his best choice. The packet that was waiting on Ben when he arrived said he had to be at the studio at seven in the morning. It included a cab voucher, studio pass and a map showing directions to the building that the filming was taking place in.

The five am wakeup call arrived sounding like a klaxon call from hell. Ben was very glad he made an early night of it and after a nice shower; he headed to the room with the buffet breakfast. He had been advised to eat something because although the production company would provide a buffet style lunch, the morning portion of the shoot could run late. Ben was excited and he felt like he couldn't shut up. He spoke to nearly everyone in the breakfast room. He said, “Good, morning.” and “Isn't it a beautiful day?” and “Isn't this coffee good?” Mostly, he got back noncommittal grunts and one woman with four young kids said, “The kids are gonna drive me nuts. If you know what’s good for ya mister, you won’t ever have kids.” Ben stared after her as she walked away while juggling four bowls of cereal, the only response in his head was ‘Wow’. He grabbed his plate of goodies and with his coffee in hand found a seat to enjoy them, still undeterred in his exuberance.

Despite that it was Ben’s first time in Los Angeles, the cab ride to the studio covered just as uninteresting ground as did the ride from the airport to the hotel. “Thank God, that was short,” Ben said aloud to himself as he got out of the cab and faced the studio. He was amazingly excited at the thought being on TV and that everyone he knew could see it. In fact, he felt sort of light headed and the sudden ugly thought, that he might have an aneurysm and drop dead on the sidewalk before he ever set one foot in the studio lot, forced him to hustle to the security gate. After showing his pass and receiving directions to Stage 24, he set out to find his set but while watching all the hustle and bustle and trying to catch sight of a movie or television star, he soon found himself lost. Fortune seemed to shine on him today in that a very handsome man in an electric cart pulled up right beside him. Ben smiled at the attractive man who got out of the thing and proceeded to babble on about why he was there and that he was lost, and ask the man if he knew which way Ben should go. The guy smiled at Ben and chuckled, “First time on set, huh?” When Ben sighed and said yes, he offered, “Don’t be nervous. You have a good voice and you’re attractive, the game show people will love you.” He told Ben he wasn't too far lost as his stage was around the right corner and two more buildings down. After giving thanks and shaking hands, Ben walked off.

Ben was still slightly early, despite his getting lost, when he arrived and was excited as hell to be stepping through the door to Stage 24. The game show stage setup was brightly lit and when his eyes followed the light upwards, he could see a large support structure with a couple of people running across beams making adjustments here and there. Ben tried to take it all in and unconsciously began walking as he noticed the cameras in front of the stage. Behind the cameras was theater style seating. In addition, for the first time, Ben realized he was going to be in front of a live audience. He slapped his hand over his mouth and spoke into it. “Oh, no way!” he said. Though his voice muffled, a head popped out from around the base of a camera in response.

“Hello. Can I help you?”

Startled, Ben jumped when he heard the female voice and looked around for whom it belonged.

“Down here.” She waved her hand without getting up. “You look lost.”

“I suppose that I am,” Ben said. “I’m a contestant for the game show. There doesn't seem to be anything happening.” He shrugged and held his open hands out as if to say, what do I do. She pointed him off to his right and ducked back down. He decided that was all he was going to get from her and walked off in the direction to which she pointed. When he arrived at the back of the game show stage, he noticed a group of people and a woman who seemed to be instructing them. Ben walked over to them and that was when he met Susan Banfy, the coordinator for the contestants. She was charming and sunny and soon had the entire group off to various objectives before appearing on the show. It was all so fast and hectic. So fast, that when Ben met with the paperwork he did as instructed, signed here and here and here on several copies of forms without actually reading any of it. Next, he was sent to a make-up station where a chatty, effeminate man primed and polished his face and hair. Afterward, the entire group of them was escorted to holding rooms to await their turns on the show and Ben found himself in a room with five other people. They were handed instruction sheets containing information on the scripting and they were asked to study it. Several people came in off and on to coach them on various aspects of the show and helped them each prepare a little biography.

Around one hour later Susan came and called for Ben and he joined two fellow contestants already in the hall outside. They, led to the stage set, took their places behind podiums and were fitted with microphones with admonishments not to touch them. Another person from make-up came around and brushed powder on everyone’s faces. As they were waiting for the MC, Ben became aware of a murmuring and looked toward the cameras. He expected to see seats full of people but found the lights were so bright he could only just make them out. The shows director informed them that the show was ready and Ben and the others looked toward the spot where the MC would come on stage.

“And, action.” The director called out. The MC walked out from behind a curtain, the audience clapped and the show began.

“Welcome to Make The Connection. I’m Brent Daniels and I’ll be your host,” he said while looking toward the audience. Turning to Ben and his fellow contestants, Brent introduced each and asked for a little information about them. Ben was the first and afterward got to scope out the competition. Mary was a childcare worker in her mid-thirties and Mark was forty-two and worked construction. Ben expected little competition and thought to himself that the prize was already his. The MC moved to a counter like podium and lifting an envelope turned back to the audience.

“I have in my hands an envelope containing today’s connection. But first, let’s learn a little about the game.” Brent turned to Ben and the others. “Each of you will be asked a series of questions designed to make a connection between you and the subject of this envelope.” He waved the envelope at them. “You’ll notice that you have tablets in front of you. After the final question and answer, you will be asked to write down who you think the subject of the envelope is. Are you ready?” Each of them said yes and Brent announced, “Let’s see who wants to Make The Connection.” He broke the seal on the envelope and with a flourish pulled out the paper.

“Someone in your High School had a crush on you and would like to see you again.”

Ben felt like his jaw hit the floor. He hated his high school experience back in Ohio. He was the kid who got picked on by the jocks and their followers. ‘No, no, no.’ this could not be happening Ben thought.

“Should you be able to answer correctly, the prize is an all-expense paid trip to New York City and one thousand dollars in cash for you and your connection. We have arranged for a full day for you two to enjoy. Later, you will wine and dine at one of the city’s finest restaurants. Are you ready to play?”

Ben felt light headed again and he thought that right about now would be a good time to have that aneurysm.

I hope you liked my response to prompt 275. Please consider leaving a review.
2013 R.L. Hunter; All Rights Reserved
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I don't think Ben is a very lucky man in general. At least he got a free trip to LA...

and who knows what else?

Link to comment
On 11/08/2013 01:20 AM, Stephen said:
I don't think Ben is a very lucky man in general. At least he got a free trip to LA...

and who knows what else?

Ben is not so unlucky, just fallen on hard times. He is a well adjusted guy, despite his high school days. Thanks for commenting, Stephen.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/08/2013 07:38 AM, joann414 said:
I think we should get another chapter :P After all, I want to see if they re-connected -_-:P Great prompt Ron
Oh you do, do you? <_< I guess I couldn't have gotten this far without some idea of who is behind curtain No.1 :whistle: Thanks, Joann.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/08/2013 07:49 AM, Slytherin said:
I agree with Jo Ann (that doesn't happen very often ;) ) Great prompt, Ron ! :D
Thank you, Slytherin. I did have a cheering section to please. :kiss:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh lord. You could have anyone. I don't even remember half the people from my graduating class. I had a class of over six hundred. Trying to see who would have possibly had a crush and wants to make a connection would be a bloody nightmare.

Link to comment
On 11/08/2013 03:44 PM, comicfan said:
Oh lord. You could have anyone. I don't even remember half the people from my graduating class. I had a class of over six hundred. Trying to see who would have possibly had a crush and wants to make a connection would be a bloody nightmare.
My graduating class was much smaller. Thanks for commenting, Wayne.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..