Jump to content
    Sasha Distan
  • Author
  • 1,187 Words
  • 986 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Give Me Back My Prompts - 4. 557 - Portal Stones Don't Just 'Go Missing'

A follow up of sorts to prompt 535 in which James Markus accidentally gets taken to the realm of the gods on a mix up, but is sent home with a portal stone.

“And then I hid it somewhere he won’t find it,” the Demon Del Deorion finished with a smug grin.

Across the uneven and beer spattered surface of the wooden table, the Prince of hell smiled at him, arching one perfect eyebrow. Deorion had always thought Nassau to be unfairly pretty, even when he’d been stripped of his powers and his feathers and banished from the world below. Not that the smoke flavoured demon would ever do anything about it, after all being consort to the Wind gave him rather special privileges.

And Yosui is such good fun in bed….

And on sofa.

“Oi!” Deorion lowered his pint with a scowl. “Stop living vicariously in my dirty mind, Nas.”

“Well if you will leave it open…” Nassau commented. “And you live with Yosui, I mean really.”

“Gods hate secrets.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“You never do, but when have I ever been wrong?”

Nassau drew a perfect circle on the table with the condensation of his ale.

“If I remember correctly, you were the one who assured Kiorl and I that you could handle just two salamanders.” The Prince rolled his eyes. “All you had to do was not let them escape, breed prolifically, and then lose control of their evolution altogether.”

“You ain’t ever going to let that go, are you?”

“Nope.” Nassau finished his drink, refilled the tankard by rapping on the table with his knuckles, and returned to their original conversation. “You realise we’ve been punishing Shax for losing that thing for the last couple of decades.”

“Good.”

“You stole it off him!”

“He bet it in a game of cards with an Immortal! Boy deserves to be taken advantage of.” Deorion grinned wickedly. “An’ he’d be sort of cute if he stopped polishing his horns for five minutes.”

“Deorion! What would Yosui say?”

“He’d tell me to shut up, drink my beer, and invite you back to the house for dinner. You know he remodelled the roof terrace… again. He’s been dying to show it off.”

“Well, alright.”

Nassau paid for their drinks with a handful of slightly grimy coins, which on close inspection from the bar staff would turn out to be ancient, Roman, solid gold, and worth about as much as the ground rent of the pub itself. Out on the street, Deorion dug around in his pocket, then lit the end of a long brown cigarette by licking it, before held the drug between two slim fingers as he inhaled. His fire glowed hotly for a moment.

“You ever think of asking Them to fix yours for you?” Deorion gestured with his fag to the winding patterns of almost delicate flame which flickered along Nassau’s arm. He’d always thought Nassau’s good looks were improved with it, but he also knew how much their memory hurt the demon who, despite being almost all-powerful, he would always think of as a boy.

“No.” Nassau hugged himself tightly, then shrugged into a long coat with sleeves to hide the painful tattoo. “I don’t think They would anyway… and it’s all I have left of him.”

“Nas….”

“So tell me, where did you hide the portal stone, Deorion?”

They walked together side by side, and for all the world saw them, they were just two young men: one supremely beautiful, pale with long ash brown hair and grey eyes; the other black skinned, handsome and chiselled, but dressed in apparent rags, smoking like a man relaxing in a pavement café. The streets of Camden had seen far stranger sights, even in the middle of the day, and no one paid them much attention, expect to leer over Nassau’s incomparable deliciousness.

“You remember when the gods insisted on having The Games every year, and I told you about the time one of the messengers fucked up and brought the wrong guy?”

“Yeah.”

“I sent him home with it, seemed like the simplest option.”

“What?”

Deorion turned when he realised his companion had stopped walking.

“Nas?”

“You gave a portal stone to a human?” The Prince asked in disbelief. “Have you completely lost your mind?”

“Nassau, you worry too much. Nothing bad happened, did it?”

“Yet.”

“Humans live short lives Nas. Don’t worry about it. Thing’s probably already been long lost.”

“You’re always so damn sure of yourself Deorion,” Nassau muttered. “C’mon, I suspect your boyfriend is being creative in the kitchen again….”

*

James Markus swept his hand across the kitchen counter top for the final time, and sighed. Jordan was waiting for him down in the removals van along with Jemma and the dogs, but he couldn’t bear to leave the flat so soon. They’d chosen to stay there, and then one thing had lead to another: marriage, better jobs, the first of the dogs adopted from a shelter and coddled like he was their little one. Then their next door neighbour had decided to sell, and Jordan had suggested they buy the apartment and expand. The twins had brightened up their lives enormously, fulfilled a desire James hadn’t even known he’d had before, and now he could barely believe his children were seventeen, and practically adults in their own right.

“Da?” Jadyn laid a hand on his shoulder. “C’mon Da, Papa’s waiting.”

“I know, I’m coming.”

“Wyoming is going to be awesome y’know.”

“How the two of us managed to raise a couple of rodeo nutters I’ll never understand.”

Jadyn laughed.

“Da! You’re so funny.”

The boy moved around the rooms he’d grown up in, now standing empty of their possessions. Automatically, he opened the tall cupboard which had been built into what was once the old living room where they used to store their coats, and frowned down at the floor. It was not quite empty, and among dust bunnies and scraps of old receipts, something glinted.

“Da? What’s this?”

The glass sphere in his hand glimmered invitingly, but as he turned to his father, all the blood drained out of his face, and the smile Jadyn was so used to seeing was replaced by a look of fear.

“Drop it!”

“Da?” Jadyn frowned, not knowing what could have made his father so scared so fast. It was just a glass bauble after all. “Da?”

“Jadyn!”

Jadyn glanced at the globe in his hand, but it was no longer transparent, but filled with an inner fire which glowed hotly. He couldn’t look away.

“Da!”

But it was too late.

The portal stone was full, and it read the intention deep in the back of Jadyn’s mind, something he hadn’t even been aware he wanted, something he’d never verbalised, not even in his own head. The boy who’d been adopted before he could even remember by the best parents anyone could have ever wished for nevertheless had always been curious about where he came from.

The world went white, everything fell away, and twenty terrifying heart beats later, Hadyn looked out at an alien landscape with which he was totally unfamiliar.

“Oh,” he said. Then realising his father wasn’t around to admonish him, decided a swear word might be in order. “Fuck.”

Copyright © 2017 Sasha Distan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was more like a tease. I hope you're writing part 2. Guess I'll need to go back and reread your demon stories. It's been too long. The demons always cracked me up! Thanks.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 12:55 PM, Hudson Bartholomew said:

Uh, please tell me there's more to this coming. Because leaving us hanging like that... cruel and unusual punishment, Sasha. Not cool.

what about my behaviour so far has shown me to be anything other than cruel and unusual? I keep telling people I'm a bastard, but no one believes me....

There will be more, but only when prompt responses allow. Probably.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/11/2017 12:56 PM, JeffreyL said:

This was more like a tease. I hope you're writing part 2. Guess I'll need to go back and reread your demon stories. It's been too long. The demons always cracked me up! Thanks.

You'll meet The Demon Del Deorion a bit more properly in Amateur Night. As these things go on, I am showing more of a world to you guys that only myself and Sabwones have ever seen.

  • Wow 1
Link to comment

I shall have to look up all these characters, but they are already interesting, intriguing and I want to know more. Your versatility never ceases to amaze - thanks, Sasha!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

Not nice to tease your readers, boy! Of course if it wasn't so good no one would complain that they want more!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 02/12/2017 08:53 AM, Kitt said:

Not nice to tease your readers, boy! Of course if it wasn't so good no one would complain that they want more!

thanks ma! It was rather cruel of me I suppose....

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 02/12/2017 06:16 AM, jess30519 said:

I shall have to look up all these characters, but they are already interesting, intriguing and I want to know more. Your versatility never ceases to amaze - thanks, Sasha!

Thanks Jesse! I'm sure you'll like Deorion. He's like Kiorl, only without the bloodlust. but still with all the sass.

  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

You are so bad Sasha!  But then you obviously already know it and are extremely proud of that fact!  I want the whole story from beginning to end of James, Jordan and Jadyn, and I want it now!  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..