Jump to content
    SHDWriter
  • Author
  • 1,922 Words
  • 1,993 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Year I Stopped Being Invisible - 42. Chapter 42

Nathan and I became fast friends, and it's hard to say exactly why. Surely, as I pored through his Soldier of Fortune magazines looking at the ads for mercenaries in the back, his High Times and Easyriders with their garish centerfolds of exotic strains of marijuana and barely-dressed tattooed biker mommas, it wasn't that we had a lot in common. Well, other than Charlie Manson and my newly-discovered passion for heavy metal music.

In the beginning, I suppose, it was because I was feeling sad and forlorn and just needed a masculine straight friend to get my mind off blubbering over Taine. Someone who wouldn't let me talk about what was on my mind even if I wanted to. It was also, of course, because Nathan was hotter than hell and seemed to get off on the fact that he so obviously impressed me on a basic, primal level. I tried to hide it, but I'm sure he knew.

Nothing sexual ever happened between Nathan and I while we were attending Polk High School. There was always an electric charge, however, even though we would distract ourselves for the next four years in his (and, to be fair, my own) endless quest for girls. My heart was broken, permanently, but I was still a teenager and a slave to my hormones.

I think, on Nathan's side, it was partly a by-product of his self-segregation from the rest of the Polk student body. Sure, he fancied himself a bad-ass, and he was, but he really didn't have a close friend other than Terry, whom he obviously didn't respect and only, as he said, kept around for laughs.

With me it was something different. We really talked together, shared our hopes and fears and dreams. Not at first, of course, but eventually he opened up to me as I'm sure he had never opened up to anyone before. Because he knew I cared, and would keep his counsel, and...well, I think he could sense that I viewed him a lot differently than any of the other male students did.

As far as opening up to a girl, well, Nathan could never respect any "piece of ass" enough to trust her with his confidences. I was a guy, we did guy things together, and I think he was fascinated with both my intellect and my obvious attraction to him. He wouldn't acknowledge it verbally, but if that wasn't there, I'm not sure that he would have befriended me, and certainly not as closely as he did.

To him, I think I was the best of both worlds, and two years after we graduated from high school, in 1986, we finally crossed that Rubicon, and spent a long, passionate week of exploring our long-repressed feelings in my apartment in Washington DC. I saw him once more after that, in 1989, but he was different toward me. Remote. As if it had been that electric charge all along, and after it had been released, there was nothing to say anymore.

We never spoke again.

But 1989 was still eight years away on that day in the fall of my freshman year, and by the time that I left Nathan's house -- after enjoying a family meal worthy of an old Norman Rockwell painting -- I knew that we would be friends. As I thanked his parents and went to the door, Nathan took me by the wrist, holding up my arm to examine the bandages from where he had sliced it with his belt-buckle knife.

"You better keep changing this bandage," he said. "If it gets infected and they have to cut off your hand, I'm not going to hang around with you. Stumpy dudes keep the pussy away."

That was as close as I ever got to having him apologize for what he did, but I didn't really care by then -- he had just basically implied that he wanted to hang out with me, after all -- and returned his strange, off-kilter grin.

"Stumpy dudes," I retorted, "can do things to women you can't possibly imagine."

We laughed, and then I was on my way home.

Of course, I went by the empty former house of Taine Maxwell on the way, and of course I stood there for a few minutes sobbing.

Of course I did.

How could he have just left without a word? Hadn't he just invited me to go camping with him and Blaine at Big Bend? Or was that just a ruse, a distraction so that I wouldn't have picked up any tell-tale signs of his impending departure?

Why, I wondered in vain, would Taine do something like this?

I had no idea.

* * * * *

When I got home, I heard barking, and there she was: the cutest little long-haired dachshund that I had ever seen. She looked at me with big, scared brown eyes, sat down on the kitchen floor with her tail wagging so fast it was almost blurring, and rolled over onto her back, then urinated all over herself.

"Oh, Heidi!" wailed Tynah, rushing to the site of the spillage with a roll of paper towels. She knelt next to the still furiously-wagging dog, wiped up the mess, then looked up at my confused face. "She was abused."

I nodded, still unsure as to what the hell was happening, and gingerly knelt down to let the frightened Heidi smell my hand. She cowered for only a moment before licking my fingers, which I guessed meant that she thought I was okay.

Tynah explained to me that one of the female soldiers on-base had tried to keep Heidi in the barracks, which was strictly against the rules. Whenever a superior came in, the woman would shove the poor puppy into a drawer or even into her footlocker, where she would cower in fear, not daring to make a sound. On the few occasions that she had made a sound, this stupid bitch would hit Heidi to shut her up.

"I can't believe anyone would do that to a poor baby puppy, Rick," Tynah said, with obvious pain and compassion in her eyes. "Can you?"

"No," I said. "I don't even know that woman and I'd like to smack her and lock her in a trunk."

Tynah nodded gravely.

I looked down into Heidi's adorable little face as she kept snuffling and licking around my hand, her tail still hammering the kitchen floor.

"You're safe now, little girlie," I told her, and Heidi seemed to understand.

Of course, had that sweet little dachsie known that the last dog we took in had been brutally and savagely gutted in the back yard hammock, she might not have been so anxious to join the Spivey family.

Hopefully, what Heidi didn't know wouldn't hurt her.

* * * * *

After Tynah took Heidi to her bedroom and Rex had fallen asleep on his floor-pillow in the living room, and after I had made a feeble attempt at my homework, giving up while still in the process of soaking it with tears, it was time for the cold hand of insomnia to revisit me for another long and despairing dark night of the soul.

You sheltered me from harm

Kept me warm, kept me warm

You gave my life to me

Set me free, set me free

After a bit of fighting against it, trying to cry myself to sleep to no avail, I got dressed, grabbed my Walkman, a pack of cigarettes and a lighter and went out onto the backyard patio. I was sad, yes. Hurt. Broken-hearted. All those things. But the reason I couldn't sleep was that I didn't have an answer to that most fundamental of questions: Why?

The finest years I ever knew

Were all the years I had with you

"It wasn't even years," I answered the song bitterly. "Only a few damn weeks. Only a few weeks in my fucking life I could be happy. Only a few weeks."

And I would give anything I own

Would give up my life, my heart, my home

What could possibly have made them all just leave like that? Without a word, without a clue, without a fucking note?

I would give everything I own

Just to have you back again

I sat there for a moment, roiling with emotions. Anger, sadness, fear, pain, confusion, yearning, betrayal, loss, abandonment, everything...everything bad and cold and dark and sad...How could I have gone through so much crazy shit in my life, survived everything and finally found love, only to have it so cruelly and mysteriously taken away from me?

You taught me how to love

What it's of, what it's of

But, at the center of that black maelstrom of emotions was still one pure, burning love for the boy whose absence had occasioned them. The love of my life. My angel. My Babes. My sweet, sweet Babes.

You never said too much

But still you showed the way

And I knew from watching you

Taine Maxwell taught me something that I was sure I would never learn. He taught me how to love another human being fully, completely, unconditionally.

Nobody else could ever know

The part of me that can't let go

And then he was gone. Just like that, he was gone. Like my dad, my mom, my dog, my friends at so many schools I'd left behind, all gone. But losing Taine hurt the worst, because I had no answers for it. Just emptiness and pain.

And I would give anything I own

Would give up my life, my heart, my home

I sat at the picnic table, smoking my cigarette and wishing for Taine. I sat there for a long time, just staring at the stars up in that immense, vast South Texas sky and wondering if I would ever see my Babes again. If I would ever smell the faint, heartbreakingly sweet scent of strawberry shampoo in his silken hair. If I would ever see those eyes that knew my every thought and fear so well. If I would ever live long enough to once more taste those perfect lips on mine.

I would give everything I own

Just to have you back again

"Where are you, my angel?" I said aloud. "Where are you? Why did you leave me all alone in the world again? Why? Why?"

Tears streamed down my face, and I was shaking too hard to even hold the stub of my cigarette, which had burned down to a long grey ash which felt like my heart. I dropped it to the ground and wandered aimlessly around the yard, listening to the song and aching.

Is there someone you know

You're loving them so

But taking them all for granted

Just aching.

You may lose them one day

Someone takes them away

And they don't hear the words you long to say

It was after two in the morning before I finally wandered back inside, and although I still didn't sleep, the maelstrom of dark emotions had subsided, and all that was left was love. That was all there would ever be in my heart again, I knew. Just love for Taine.

Wherever he was.

I would give anything I own

Would give up my life, my heart, my home

I would give everything I own

Just to have you......back again

Just to touch you once again

Just to have you back again

"Everything I Own" written by David Gates. Performed by Bread. c 1972 by Elektra Records.
c 2018 by Steven H. Davis
  • Like 17
  • Love 2
  • Sad 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Are we ever going to find out what happened to Taine ??

Was the camping trip just a ruse like Rick thinks ??

Please let us know what happened to the Maxwell family...

  • Like 5
Link to comment
15 minutes ago, 1brokNangel said:

Are we ever going to find out what happened to Taine ??

Was the camping trip just a ruse like Rick thinks ??

Please let us know what happened to the Maxwell family...

 

It's coming. I won't leave you hanging, promise. :)  I wouldn't have left you hanging this long but for the "1 chapter a day" rule. There's like 5 chapters and an epilogue left, and everything will be wrapped up soon.

Edited by SHDWriter
  • Like 5
Link to comment

My heart is just breaking for Rick.   Who was it that made them just up and leave??  Taine, Blaine or Sly??   I hope Rick can put all this emotional baggage into his acting career.   I can see him winning lots of the competitions using these feelings positively.  Thanks for the newest chapter. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

I don’t care the reason. What the Maxwell family did to Rick was cruel. Taine knows Rick’s past. Just add to his abandonment issues.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Just now, BlindAmbition said:

I don’t care the reason. What the Maxwell family did to Rick was cruel. Taine knows Rick’s past. Just add to his abandonment issues.

 

And yet, sometimes, when your issues are pushed to their limit, you are forced to confront something which you've been avoiding. And there was something mentioned in one of the early chapters which Rick has yet to face, and maybe holds the key to some of his more unusual behavior...

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Well I was hoping Taine would show up, call, etc...but this is ugh. Taine doesn’t know Rick’s history with suicide attempts as far as we know and definitely doesn’t know about his most recent attempt though that doesn’t excuse his actions in the least. When he last tried to kill himself he had it in his head that Taine didn’t need him anymore because he had his brother and now Taine actually left without a word so I fear another suicide attempt. No matter why they left you can’t tell me Taine couldn’t get ahold of a phone or somehow gotten word to Rick. I’m sure they’ll be a good excuse for all of this but it won’t be good enough as there isn’t a good enough reason for this.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I had high hopes for Rick and Taine being together for many happy years. I also wonder why the Maxwell's had to leave in such a hurry and not let anyone know that they were moving away. I hope that at some point Taine will make an appearance again in Ricks life and even decide to be with him as they thought they would be. It seems like the camping trip was a ruse to throw Rick off the move to who knows where and why did it happen all of a sudden. I think the friendship with Nathan is more or less a coping mechanism. Great story so far can't wait to read about what happens next for Rick and the Maxwell's. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

😎…………..Well, continuing the dark path of Rick after being abandoned by Taine. Meanwhile Nathan had his taste of the other-side and is long gone.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well Nathan didn’t turn out to be a barraging psychopath. In a way I guess Nathan showed some great character development in such a short time. As for taine, let hope we find out for the abrupt skiaddle. Perhaps when he gets settled he will send Rick a letter. Great chapter. I have already noticed the tone shift. You are preparing to close up the story. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

ok so they busted the house of horrors ensnaring some very rich and powerful sickos, they need Blaine to testify in this high profile case and the whole family has been whipped away to witness protection.

OR

Taine did kill himself and this is now his personal purgatory. This kinda sux.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..