Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,330 Words
  • 4,321 Views
  • 19 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 116. Week Seventeen Thursday, December 25, 2014: Clarity


Warning: While not explicit, there are thoughts of suicide.


Perfect clarity would profit the intellect but damage the will

 

 

Blaise Pascal

 

 

***

 

 

Tommy

He looked as green as peas and Christmas wreaths. My brother did not seem to have slept much either. I thought I had heard someone puking in the middle of the night. Now I knew it wasn’t a dream, it was him. I wondered if maybe he was coming down with something.

It was Christmas Day, my favorite day of the year! Dad was in a rare mood, telling jokes which had us all laughing around the breakfast table. Everybody was laughing except for David, who sipped coffee and seemed to be somewhere else. Liz was here, without Greg for once. She didn’t look pregnant to me. Aren’t pregnant girls supposed to be sick in the morning or something? Maybe it was David who was pregnant ...hehe. Anyway, Aunt Sarah outdid herself with breakfast, being Christmas, I guess. Except for moody-mookboy, everyone was having fun and digging in.

After breakfast, which he did not eat, we were all hanging around the tree for gift exchanges. It was all the usual stuff; funny shirts, a watch, CDs. But David’s gifts were different, for the first time ever.

He gave Aunt Sarah a book, From Julia Child’s Kitchen and she beamed like it really meant something to her ...but I sure didn’t know what or why.

He gave Dad two tickets to a Syracuse basketball game for the middle of February. At least I could understand why that made my dad smile. I smiled too, until David said he chose that game because it was against Louisville.

“You know, that’s Tommy’s favorite team. You can bond with your son.”

Everyone laughed, but that sentence just sounded a little off to me. It was almost like he was excluding himself from needing bonding, or being Dad’s son, or even being here in February. I know, a while ago, he was worried about being sent to a crazy farm, but I thought he was over all that stupid crap.

I was almost afraid to unwrap his present for me, but it was awesomeazing! The box contained a slinky white V-neck sweater and a shell necklace, just like the one he had – only it was red. He smiled and I knew exactly why he gave that to me! Barbara was going to wet her panties when she saw me wearing them at one of the parties. I hugged my big brother, who was starting to thaw out a little.

Then he produced the biggest surprise of all. He gave my sister a beautiful, but dainty necklace. It was a thin gold chain. On it hung a small sapphire in a simple setting. He said, “Something blue,” and he kissed her. I had no frickin’ idea what that even meant, but it hadda mean something, because Liz teared up.

That was Christmas morning at my house. Aside from the present-exchanging, my brother looked sad.

My brother was sad.

It was clear to me that something was very wrong with my brother.

And then he said he wouldn’t be here to have Christmas dinner with us.

WTF

 

David

I woke up at the regular time, which meant I didn’t get much sleep. I vaguely remembered another dream of me and Twoey. I couldn’t understand why I was having these dreams with Twoey in them. Unfortunately, during my shower, more of the dream came back to me. Donny, Twoey and I were out in a desolate field on a slightly foggy morning. We were all dressed in eighteenth-century clothing. I even was wearing a black top hat of some kind. I opened the case I was carrying to discover it contained two old-fashioned pistols. That was the moment I realized Twoey and Donny were about to have a duel! Donny selected his pistol first, which confirmed that Twoey must have challenged him. They then each paced off ten steps in opposite directions. I produced a white hanky and waved it, counting down from three, and then shouted, “Fire!” Both bullets struck me in the head, producing a serious headache. The headache was real though, not a dream, and almost knocked me off my feet. I quickly finished showering and dried off. The headache was worse, and almost made me sick again.

After not eating breakfast with them this morning and then the gift exchanges, I bundled up and took a walk to the lake. It was cool, but not all that cold today. The sun seemed to warm things up a bit, even though it was pretty low in the sky at this time of year. I needed to think. I had explained to Aunt Sarah that I would be at Twoey’s for dinner. I knew Greg and Liz and all the rest of them wouldn’t miss me at the dinner at our house. I didn’t want to sit in my room on Christmas Day, waiting to go to Twoey’s. I certainly had no intention of sitting around, talking to those people in my house either. And so I decided to do a little thinking of my own, down at the lake ...my lake.

There was a knot in the pit of my stomach. There was a black fog in my head and I felt that major headache throbbing. Crap!

I didn't know what to do.

I had no idea what to do.

I walked down to the shore and then across to the place Danny used to go when he was feeling sad. I thought it was very appropriate for me to be there . For some reason, I felt a mystifying connection with Danny today. Standing over by the rocks, I felt as helpless as the dead branch in front of me, being tossed against the shore by the waves. The old pier was being thrashed by the same waves. Exposed before me, were the cold waves in my gray lake on a sunny day. The irony was not lost on me. I was smart – remember?

So fucking smart, I played myself into a no-win game.

So fucking smart, I entirely lost control of my life.

So fucking smart, I was actually hiding from myself.

So fucking smart!

The more I thought about my friends, the more questions I had.

How would Gary treat me if I told him was gay? I know he’d say it was fine with him. He wouldn’t be like Mike had been when Twoey came out to him. But things wouldn’t be the same. ‘We’ wouldn’t be the same. We certainly wouldn’t think on the same wavelength anymore. We wouldn’t come to each other with our problems. We would never be like the brothers we were now, ever again.

Could I live with that?

How would Nels react? He was never so comfortable with me as when it was Gary and Mel, Nels and Lauri, David and Alex. Nels was clearly stuck in a vision of all of us with wives and kids, living on the same block. He was so straight he had like a pole sticking up his back! I think I would lose Nels. I know I would lose Nels.

Could I live with that?

How would Sam react? I remembered how he talked about the shooting, when he found out Danny and Twoey were naked. Wasn’t there a level of disapproval there? Was Sam actually homophobic? Was that why he was so hostile if anyone called him EMO? I didn’t think Sam would take my news very well at all. Sam was my mental fixer-upper. Whenever I had a problem, he sensed it and helped me deal with it. I would lose all that. I would lose that very important support. Sam had always been my most important support – my closest friend. I would lose Sam. There was not a doubt in my mind.

Could I live with that?

And Tommy – Especially Tommy! His father would not like my being gay, but I could avoid him. I mean, when Tommy’s mother was crazy I avoided her easily enough – but Tommy?

I remembered the times Tommy thought boys were hitting on me. First it was Twoey, then little Mark, and lastly, Donny. I remembered how badly Tommy reacted. I was coming to realize Tommy wouldn’t accept a gay brother. He might say he would, but things would be different. Actually, he might not say he would. Tommy appeared to be pretty anti-gay.

Could I live without Tommy’s love?

I started to get angry at Twoey again. He started it all.

Why didn’t he stay in Syracuse? Why did he look at me in that way, with those hypnotic eyes, back in September? What would my life have been like, had he decided to not move here? And then I considered what he had done! He fooled around with Danny, when we warned him not to, and now Danny was dead. He fooled around with Erik and now nobody likes Erik.

I began to grasp that Twoey was dangerous.

Twoey started the kissing thing too. I never would have even considered kissing a boy until Twoey started it.

Could I hate Twoey and still be magnetically attracted to him?

Then there was Randy. I started to get angry with Randy. He kissed me too.

I might have dismissed the Twoey kisses, but with Randy, there were now two boys I had kissed. It wasn’t so easy to dismiss anymore, was it David?

Why didn’t Randy keep his kisses to himself?

Then there was Donny. I started to get angry with Donny. He made it three boys I’d kissed. And it was far worse with Donny.

Why did he seduce me? He kissed me, taught be to give blowjobs and even made me fuck him! That was the final straw. I had fucked a boy! And it was all Donny’s fault. Why did Gary ever introduce me to him in the first place?

I should have been angry with Gary too.

At the thought of fucking Donny, my head began throbbing. No, really physically throbbing. It hurt!

And so I stood there, by the lake, in the faint rays of the warming sun, becoming more and more angry with the friends who were ruining my life – who were fucking with me and ruining my life! I thought maybe I should live without all of them. Get them right out of my life. Flush them all away! I checked my phone and was surprised how long I had been down there, feeling sorry for myself.

That’s when I had a moment of clarity.

I looked at myself from the outside and it all became crystal clear.

I began to get embarrassed. I was blaming everyone else for my own actions. I realized I was being a fool, but I still had this feeling of dread. The outcome of my worries was probably more true than false. It was just that I needed to put the blame squarely where it belonged, on me. I also began to realize that I was not a very nice person.

I had always thought I was a good person. I thought I had felt compassion for my friends; that I would do anything for them. But it was becoming increasingly clear to me that I was selfish. I had become unbelievably, self-centeredly, egocentrically, disgustingly selfish!

I also saw it was time to leave for Twoey’s. After tomorrow, I would be alone. All of what was now becoming evident to me would be the basis for the evaluations I needed to make when I was alone. I would finally have the time and space to think and make some serious decisions, one of which was ever becoming depressingly plain. And so, with some reluctance, I left my lake – one of the few places where I was welcomed.

When Ginny answered the door, I realized this was another place where I was welcomed. After removing my coat, she hugged me, and then started rubbing my arms.

“David, you’re frigid! Where have you been?”

I noticed Twoey walking down the stairs. “I’ve been down to the lake.”

“How long were you there?”

“About four hours, or so.”

“No wonder you’re so cold! Come over by the fire.” She directed me into the living room and toward the fireplace, which looked toasty hot. That’s when Twoey spoke.

“Please tell me you weren’t sitting down there, all alone and thinking.”

“No I wasn’t. I was standing.”

“I’ll take care of him, Mom.” Twoey shooed his mother back into the kitchen as he began rubbing each of my hands, then placed them in his armpits to warm them. We stood like that, facing each other, for more than a minute. He had an inscrutable look on his face. But Twoey exuded a softness of nature.

“Here, sit next to me on the sofa and I’ll rub your back and arms.”

I felt like a baby, being told what to do, but enjoying it. Feeling Twoey physically connecting with parts of my body was satisfying.

“OK, what’s bothering you? I can tell something’s wrong.”

“I’m beginning to realize I don’t like myself very much.”

“Why not? What happened?”

“Life happened. I haven’t responded well to it.”

“Do you mean about the sexual abuse?”

“Maybe it was the abuse that got the ball rolling. But it’s going downhill so fast now, I’m not sure I can stop it. I really don’t know what to do anymore.” I think my eyes were starting to fill up.

“What did your therapist say?”

“He said goodbye. He decided to abandon me and go to Europe.”

“How about your family – your father? Certainly he would help you. What did he say?”

“He decided to abandon me too, and go to New York.”

“Your Aunt?”

“She’s off to New York too, also Liz.”

“Are they crazy? They left you all alone?!”

“Not yet. They all leave tomorrow.”

“For how long?”

“Until after New Years.”

“Move in here with me for the week!”

“Who’s moving where?” Ginny had walked into the room.

“David’s going to be alone for a week. I invited him to stay here.”

“Of course you can, David. Keep Twoey company; he’ll be alone for a few days, too. In fact, my departure date was moved up to tomorrow.”

“No, I have to watch Tommy. He’s my responsibility.”

Twoey answered. “Well, knowing Tommy, he won’t be home much. At least come over here in the daytime.”

“That might be possible. Maybe I’ll do that.”

Ginny enlisted us to set the table, and soon we were eating Christmas dinner, which was a pretty circle of bones sticking out of meat. She called it a crown roast of lamb, and it was very delicious. Conversation was varied, but I could see Twoey trying to pull it toward the direction of my sessions with Dr. Keating. In a flash, I realized why. He wanted me to tell Ginny about my abuse. That awareness also told me he hadn’t told her. Gosh, he was such a good friend. He knew he wasn’t the one to tell her. At that moment, I understood Twoey would never talk about me behind my back. He didn’t know she already knew, and of course, she wouldn’t tell him. It became clear that maybe I should talk to Ginny. She might give me better help than Keating ever could. But it was not the topic for Christmas dinner, so I steered the conversation toward her instead.

“Twoey said you were going to be on a book tour. Where will you be off to?”

“As I said, I leave tomorrow. It starts in Albany. After a few days there, at different locations, the next stop will be Boston. After a few days there, it will be all finished. I’ll return home before school begins.”

“I might want to talk to you when you’re back. The trouble is, I’m scheduled for the repressed-memory clinic that week.”

“Talk to me as soon as you’ve returned. You'll probably have a lot of issues to work out, and you might even have regained some or all of your memories by then.”

The rest of the dinner conversation was about lighter stuff. During the meal, Twoey did a lot of looking at me. It was almost the same as Thanksgiving dinner, when we couldn’t keep our eyes off each other. This time, though, he was right across the table from me, instead of way on the other end. And yes, I did my share of looking and blushing too.

After dinner, Twoey and I helped clear everything away. Finally, when the dishwasher was running and Ginny was in her office, Twoey and I sat next to each other on the sofa. It was pleasant sitting there, next to Twoey, hearing the crackling of the fire, feeling the pull of the one I didn’t deserve. I felt so unworthy of the love I knew he had for me. Twoey did not need me and my basket of troubles and woes. He had just escaped from one bad relationship and shouldn’t be thrust into another. I just had to find a way to enjoy his nearness one last time. And so I sat in his presence and absorbed his warm feelings, like a lizard, absorbing the sun on a rock.

I grabbed the remote, turned on the TV and found Ralphie and his BB-gun somewhere. We watched, but it was the physical closeness of our bodies and the emotional closeness of our minds that were the only things which counted for me that evening. Twoey was my soulmate; there was no question about it. But now I’d fucked it all up by giving into Donny. While trying to walk that fine line, I had fallen off. It was just like the parallel bars in gym. I fell off and directly onto my armpit. Now I had fallen off that fine line, but I was the armpit! As the evening wore on, I became increasingly sadder as the clarity of what was inevitable settled over me. Finally, I could take it no more. As soon as Ralphie was over, I told them I needed to go home. Ginny was back in the living room by then.

They both walked me to the door. I gave Ginny a loving hug. In the unlikely event I was still around for the New Year, maybe I’d make her my mother. At least I wouldn’t be an orphan anymore. She left Twoey and me alone.

I stood before Twoey once again. Then I hugged him tightly, wishing him a Merry Christmas. I broke the hug and stepped back a little, but did not let go of his arms. I thought, what was this game I was playing? And so, I surrendered to my urges and kissed him. I really kissed Twoey. It was a kiss that exposed the fact I loved him. He couldn’t have missed it. Again, I did the only thing my mind would allow me to do. I ran away. Just as I did when I first met him, I ran home.

The clarity, realizing the conflict in my mind between Twoey, who I wanted but had betrayed, and Donny, who I sort of had but despised, was beginning to unravel me. It was why my body was reacting poorly. It was why I was shaking and feeling nauseous. How could this end? Where was it headed? Where was I headed?

It was becoming increasingly evident there was no happy ending for David. I had created a world where simply by being in it, I was hurting everyone I knew.

As I got into bed the splitting headache returned. I became angry with myself as the weight of it all smothered me.

I went to bed angry tonight – angry with myself.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Wow 1
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OMG David needs to get his head out of his a** (oh wait...it was up Donny's sorry lol)..grrrr i don't even know what to say...And Ginny being all blazé about David being left alone with only Tommy....she's a psychiatrist who knows that David is not in a good place right now and she thinks nothing is wrong with the fact he is being left alone for a week with just his LITTLE BROTHER???? where did she get her degree??? A Cracker Jack Box??? David was so effing smart when I started reading this story...somewhere along the way he went left....I don't even know...the only one that seems to be somewhat connected to reality of the potential situation is Twoey....and if Twoey tries to spend too much time watching David....David will probably think that he's just trying to get him to kiss him more or something and give into those thoughts and then get pissed at Twoey......grrr....great chapter...looking forward to more

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Other than the betraying my soulmate for cheap sex with the seducer, everything David is going through in this chapter is so familiar I'm full of tears. Well done, Skinny. That takes a lot nowadays.

 

I'm not sure what to write, because I don't totally want to spoil things for other readers and reviewers, drowning them with words. Just... you guys need to understand that David is not rational, and has not been rational for a long while (at least since he began his crusade since his mother, but more subtly so even before that). If he was sharing what was going through his head, if Ginny really realized how bad things were up there, he'd be sent to hospital. Speaking of Ginny and Twoey, why the hell doesn't the reverse of Twoey staying at David's come up? Well, there would be the Tommy issue there, I guess. I am not looking forward to seeing David's next interaction with Donny now that the external laser has been refocused from Twoey onto him. We have a few more days to see how David structures his interactions with friends and family while in this state of self-hate, where at any moment his emotional instability may cause him to lash out in order to distance him from those who love him. No one understands what happens at David's lake. The real David's lake. When you are as emotionally unbalanced as David is right now, those moments of 'clarity' are precious and you cling to them. What ever it is that seems immediately clear is an ultimate truth, and often comes with an ultimate solution - the final destruction of the self.

 

Where the fuck is Danny? :unsure2:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So I can no longer accept that David's perception of his family is all just his being an unreliable narrator. In this chapter we see what's happening from Tommy's perspective, and while we see some things differently it still doesn't change the inherent problems. So we see the family laughing and interacting, and David completely detached and not eating. Dad's making jokes, and Aunt Sarah still being a mute homemaker. I mean I guess she and Liz are talking but whatever they're saying is completely without consequence. Only Tommy seems to notice the million red flags David is throwing out showing that something is very wrong. David doesn't eat without a word of concern. David just walks out on Christmas with his family without a word in protest. Seriously? Oh Tommy thinks WTF, but still he won't talk to anybody? Again why not? Why wouldn't he tell his Dad something is really wrong. And again, why the hell are they being left alone for some mysterious trip? The only way I can truly explain this is that David's family well and truly does not give a fuck. I guess Tommy kinda does, but not enough to actually say something to anyone.

 

And Ginny, good luck with that book tour. Fucking snake oil saleswoman.

Edited by spikey582
  • Like 1
Link to comment

People who have been there before know how realistic a portrayal of David's mental state you've created. It's incredibly difficult to create a character that suffers through the mental traumas David has, and still have the character be lovable in the eyes of readers. We want him to be the archetypical hero protagonist because you've cast him as such in Twoey. But he can't be, and that's often upsetting to readers.
There's something unyielding about the inner darkness inside someone. It doesn't understand people's genuine cares and worries about the individual; they feed entirely off their own doubts and hates and fears, and it's so very hard to get past that. David is not past that. He is a victim of his own soul at this point, and is very nearly a broken human being. For that, I think you've done a masterful job Skinny. He is exactly what he should be and it's entirely believable.
It really isn't something that the family would pick up on either. It's always subtle when displayed outwardly, and its easily mistaken for something else. The fact that Tommy picked up on it at all is indicative of the strength of their fraternal bond.

 

Regarding the kids being left alone, I'm coming to the conclusion that in spite of the relative wealth of the area, this is a latchkey kid sort of neighbourhood, probably influenced by the relative lack of criminality (until recently) that made parents feel safe letting their kids have more freedom that many of us are used to. Sorta reminds me of my own childhood, when I'd walk home from primary school to an empty house and have run of the place. It wasn't ever over a longer period of time, but it was similar in concept if not in scope.
My best guess is that everyone believes that everyone else in the community would help if there's a problem, so there's no need to get super worried about leaving kids behind for long periods of time; your neighbour will help if something bad happens, and the kids know that too. Except David doesn't know or believe that, but the family doesn't know that he doesn't know.

 

There's a lot of angst on the review boards lately, and for good reason. But it makes sense when looked at from certain perspectives. It doesn't excuse the poor behaviour of the principals, but I can at least understand why they act the way they act now.
I look forward to the end, as well as the answer to my most enduring question (which I believe your ending will provide to me. If not I'll be asking.)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thank goodness I read the other reviews before writing this. SD, you've made David and his plight so clear now--his point of clarity indeed...but ours too. Hunter, spikey and lux so eloquently covered my thoughts, I have nothing to add. Okay, one thing then....
I was agonizing over David focussing his anger at Twoey, but had momentary relief when it left him, but now it rests on Donny, which is partly rational, but an over-reaction. Yet, David is clutching desperately for something to hold on to, since his family shows no closeness or concern, and he's succumbed to the idea that his friends won't be there for him once they find out his preferences. I went through that myself, and became a loner, with maybe one close friend. Even though that was forty years ago, it seems the feelings are still there in today's teens, despite some advancement in society. Emotions are primal and illogical things.
I wish David could see that closing the door on Twoey isn't the right thing to do, but given the actions both real and perceived around him, I understand it.
Save him, SD, please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I want to drive to Daleville (not that far from where I am), meet David down at the lake and do everything in my power to lift him out of his depression and show him that his life is worth living! It hurts to see him struggling, apparently alone and with nobody caring. Of course, we have (mostly) only David's point of view and his interpretation of events to go by; what we really need is for Skinny to quickly write, retroactively, a parallel story that shows us everyone else's interaction and thoughts in detail! ;-) How hard could that be??

 

Meanwhile, I can't wait for the next episodes. Fingers and all crossable body parts are crossed, hoping for it to all turn out well for David and Twoey. And for *all* the good guys, of course. Great stuff - thanks, Skinny!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 12:36 AM, JayT said:

OMG David needs to get his head out of his a** (oh wait...it was up Donny's sorry lol)..grrrr i don't even know what to say...And Ginny being all blazé about David being left alone with only Tommy....she's a psychiatrist who knows that David is not in a good place right now and she thinks nothing is wrong with the fact he is being left alone for a week with just his LITTLE BROTHER???? where did she get her degree??? A Cracker Jack Box??? David was so effing smart when I started reading this story...somewhere along the way he went left....I don't even know...the only one that seems to be somewhat connected to reality of the potential situation is Twoey....and if Twoey tries to spend too much time watching David....David will probably think that he's just trying to get him to kiss him more or something and give into those thoughts and then get pissed at Twoey......grrr....great chapter...looking forward to more

Thanks, jt!

 

David may be smart, but he's too far gone right now for the smartness to do anything but aggravate his situation. I think he went left when he saw PPF and Mamma doing it on his bed and the repressed memories of his abuse began to emerge.

 

 

I'm not sure Ginny realizes what's really going on in David's head right now. He is a master of presenting a public face.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 01:37 AM, Lux Apollo said:

Other than the betraying my soulmate for cheap sex with the seducer, everything David is going through in this chapter is so familiar I'm full of tears. Well done, Skinny. That takes a lot nowadays.

 

I'm not sure what to write, because I don't totally want to spoil things for other readers and reviewers, drowning them with words. Just... you guys need to understand that David is not rational, and has not been rational for a long while (at least since he began his crusade since his mother, but more subtly so even before that). If he was sharing what was going through his head, if Ginny really realized how bad things were up there, he'd be sent to hospital. Speaking of Ginny and Twoey, why the hell doesn't the reverse of Twoey staying at David's come up? Well, there would be the Tommy issue there, I guess. I am not looking forward to seeing David's next interaction with Donny now that the external laser has been refocused from Twoey onto him. We have a few more days to see how David structures his interactions with friends and family while in this state of self-hate, where at any moment his emotional instability may cause him to lash out in order to distance him from those who love him. No one understands what happens at David's lake. The real David's lake. When you are as emotionally unbalanced as David is right now, those moments of 'clarity' are precious and you cling to them. What ever it is that seems immediately clear is an ultimate truth, and often comes with an ultimate solution - the final destruction of the self.

 

Where the fuck is Danny? :unsure2:

Thank you, lux!

 

That was an excellent analysis. I hope the other reviewers read it carefully.

 

Just one little error. "We have a few more days to see how David structures his interactions..." Um, actually, we don't. It happens tomorrow (David time).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 01:49 AM, spikey582 said:

So I can no longer accept that David's perception of his family is all just his being an unreliable narrator. In this chapter we see Tommy what's happening from Tommy's perspective, and while we get a bit of a different perspective it still doesn't change the inherent problems. So we see the family laughing and interacting, and David completely detached and not eating. Dad's making jokes, and Aunt Sarah still being a mute homemaker. I mean I guess she and Liz are talking but whatever they're saying is completely without consequence. Only Tommy seems to notice the million red flags David is throwing out showing that something is very wrong. David doesn't eat without a word of concern. David just walks out on Christmas with his family without a word in protest. Seriously? Oh Tommh thinks WTF, but still he won't talk to anybody? Again why not? Why wouldn't he tell his Dad something is really wrong. And again, why the hell are they being left alone for some mysterious trip? The only way I can truly explain this is that David's family well and truly does not give a fuck. I guess Tommy kinda does, but not enough to actually say something to anyone.

 

And Ginny, good luck with that book tour. Fucking snake oil saleswoman.

Thanks, spikey!

 

You're certainly correct. It's not the typical TV family of suburbia. (Notwithstanding the Martins of Zack and Cody--but that wasn't suburbia.)

What we have is a single (surviving) parent with a possible family crisis involving his daughter and a typical moody teenage son, who always seems to end up on his feet.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 04:17 AM, Hunter Thomson said:

People who have been there before know how realistic a portrayal of David's mental state you've created. It's incredibly difficult to create a character that suffers through the mental traumas David has, and still have the character be lovable in the eyes of readers. We want him to be the archetypical hero protagonist because you've cast him as such in Twoey. But he can't be, and that's often upsetting to readers.

There's something unyielding about the inner darkness inside someone. It doesn't understand people's genuine cares and worries about the individual; they feed entirely off their own doubts and hates and fears, and it's so very hard to get past that. David is not past that. He is a victim of his own soul at this point, and is very nearly a broken human being. For that, I think you've done a masterful job Skinny. He is exactly what he should be and it's entirely believable.

It really isn't something that the family would pick up on either. It's always subtle when displayed outwardly, and its easily mistaken for something else. The fact that Tommy picked up on it at all is indicative of the strength of their fraternal bond.

 

Regarding the kids being left alone, I'm coming to the conclusion that in spite of the relative wealth of the area, this is a latchkey kid sort of neighbourhood, probably influenced by the relative lack of criminality (until recently) that made parents feel safe letting their kids have more freedom that many of us are used to. Sorta reminds me of my own childhood, when I'd walk home from primary school to an empty house and have run of the place. It wasn't ever over a longer period of time, but it was similar in concept if not in scope.

My best guess is that everyone believes that everyone else in the community would help if there's a problem, so there's no need to get super worried about leaving kids behind for long periods of time; your neighbour will help if something bad happens, and the kids know that too. Except David doesn't know or believe that, but the family doesn't know that he doesn't know.

 

There's a lot of angst on the review boards lately, and for good reason. But it makes sense when looked at from certain perspectives. It doesn't excuse the poor behaviour of the principals, but I can at least understand why they act the way they act now.

I look forward to the end, as well as the answer to my most enduring question (which I believe your ending will provide to me. If not I'll be asking.)

Thank You, Hunter!

 

You and luxy have done a superb job of outlining David's state. You've also added important insight into small town thinking and the relative freedom their kids have to grow up without the smothering of the 'soccer-mom' mentality found in more affluent or suburban areas.

 

Now, how much do I have to worry about your "enduring question?" Will I be facing sharpened pitchforks from both you AND Glitty???

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 07:16 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Thank goodness I read the other reviews before writing this. SD, you've made David and his plight so clear now--his point of clarity indeed...but ours too. Hunter, spikey and lux so eloquently covered my thoughts, I have nothing to add. Okay, one thing then....

I was agonizing over David focussing his anger at Twoey, but had momentary relief when it left him, but now it rests on Donny, which is partly rational, but an over-reaction. Yet, David is clutching desperately for something to hold on to, since his family shows no closeness or concern, and he's succumbed to the idea that his friends won't be there for him once they find out his preferences. I went through that myself, and became a loner, with maybe one close friend. Even though that was forty years ago, it seems the feelings are still there in today's teens, despite some advancement in society. Emotions are primal and illogical things.

I wish David could see that closing the door on Twoey isn't the right thing to do, but given the actions both real and perceived around him, I understand it.

Save him, SD, please!

Thanks, CG!

 

Yes, there's no hiding David's deteriorating mental state anymore, no matter how much we've tried to rationalize it in the past.

 

 

And once we've admitted it, everything he does is really quite predictable, as you have pointed out.

 

 

He certainly does need saving.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/06/2016 09:56 AM, jess30519 said:

I want to drive to Daleville (not that far from where I am), meet David down at the lake and do everything in my power to lift him out of his depression and show him that his life is worth living! It hurts to see him struggling, apparently alone and with nobody caring. Of course, we have (mostly) only David's point of view and his interpretation of events to go by; what we really need is for Skinny to quickly write, retroactively, a parallel story that shows us everyone else's interaction and thoughts in detail! ;-) How hard could that be??

 

Meanwhile, I can't wait for the next episodes. Fingers and all crossable body parts are crossed, hoping for it to all turn out well for David and Twoey. And for *all* the good guys, of course. Great stuff - thanks, Skinny!

Thanks, jess!

 

Write a parallel story?!

If you think this Dragon will EVER write another 122 chapter story, you have to be raiding Sam's stash!

 

 

Well, only six chapters to go.

I think Donny and Twoey will make a cute couple, don't you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I said last chapter that Tommy might be I a bubble, unaffected by the family unit. But he is affected by David, bea cause he truly sees him. He sees David trauma and knows something is wrong but can't or doesn't know what to do to help him. Because again the family is just calling it in. The may laugh and joke I'ver dinner, but everyone is just waiting for that moment to be over where they can disappear into themselves.

 

For David we see that this is dangerous. He is spiraling and his thinking is illogical though to him it makes perfect sense. His frustration and anger at Twoey, Donny, now himself interspersed with the fear of losing his friends is more than overwhelming him at this point, and he's got no where to place those feelings. That's a horrible place to be in.

 

I won't accept anything less than David being okay SkinnyD so tread carefully.

 

Still a disturbing chapter but superbly done..

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Clarity. David needs more than moments of clarity, he needs a week full of it. At least. Perhaps Twoey, who has the goodness to be perceptive of his friend, can help David maintain some of that clarity. David's realization, and turning his anger on himself is still more dangerous, given his fragile state. Still, with guidance, he could be helped to use his clarity to take ownership of his situation, while channelling his anger to something positive. What chances of that? From the Disappearing Adults Data, I'd guess not much. Certainly the self interested Donny is unlikely to help. Twoey might, but he is about to be distracted by that silly party...to which David is still not invited. You certainly paint a bleak outlook for David, and describe his inner turmoil with chilling effectiveness. Perhaps the best possible outcome to this story is that there would be no further deaths. Not terribly prepossessing, is it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/08/2016 11:41 AM, Defiance19 said:

I said last chapter that Tommy might be I a bubble, unaffected by the family unit. But he is affected by David, bea cause he truly sees him. He sees David trauma and knows something is wrong but can't or doesn't know what to do to help him. Because again the family is just calling it in. The may laugh and joke I'ver dinner, but everyone is just waiting for that moment to be over where they can disappear into themselves.

 

For David we see that this is dangerous. He is spiraling and his thinking is illogical though to him it makes perfect sense. His frustration and anger at Twoey, Donny, now himself interspersed with the fear of losing his friends is more than overwhelming him at this point, and he's got no where to place those feelings. That's a horrible place to be in.

 

I won't accept anything less than David being okay SkinnyD so tread carefully.

 

Still a disturbing chapter but superbly done..

Thanks, Def!

 

Tommy can read his brother. But as you noted, he doesn't know what to do to help. He's only 13. On top of that he has visions of Barbara dancing in his brain. ;)

 

David is in trouble. He's going to explode. The only question is, after said explosion, will he be able to climb out? Will others come to his aid? Or will he be in a worse place?

 

I'll tread carefully. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/09/2016 12:03 AM, Parker Owens said:

Clarity. David needs more than moments of clarity, he needs a week full of it. At least. Perhaps Twoey, who has the goodness to be perceptive of his friend, can help David maintain some of that clarity. David's realization, and turning his anger on himself is still more dangerous, given his fragile state. Still, with guidance, he could be helped to use his clarity to take ownership of his situation, while channelling his anger to something positive. What chances of that? From the Disappearing Adults Data, I'd guess not much. Certainly the self interested Donny is unlikely to help. Twoey might, but he is about to be distracted by that silly party...to which David is still not invited. You certainly paint a bleak outlook for David, and describe his inner turmoil with chilling effectiveness. Perhaps the best possible outcome to this story is that there would be no further deaths. Not terribly prepossessing, is it?

Thanks, Parker!

 

You pretty much spelled out what we're looking at. Probably the only disappeared adult who could help him is Twoey's mom.

 

 

Twoey and Tommy are the only ones who seem to read past David's masterful disguise, which even has the adults fooled. Could they help? Could they even move fast enough? David's spiral seems to be accelerating. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, I can't add anything different from what everyone else said.

 

David's thoughts are sad. Sad and scary. All I wanna do is hug him. I'm with Jess; I just want to go to David and hug him and tell him everything will be ok and he has his whole life ahead of him.

 

He's really scaring me with where his head's at.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/15/2016 09:15 AM, Lisa said:

Well, I can't add anything different from what everyone else said.

 

David's thoughts are sad. Sad and scary. All I wanna do is hug him. I'm with Jess; I just want to go to David and hug him and tell him everything will be ok and he has his whole life ahead of him.

 

He's really scaring me with where his head's at.

Thanks, Lisa!

 

These next few chapters are difficult, no question about it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..