Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 3,137 Words
  • 4,618 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 119. Week Seventeen Sunday, December 28, 2014: Fruit Fly


Trigger warning:
Actions related to Suicide


Trip no further, pretty sweeting;

Journeys end in lovers meeting,

Every wise man’s son doth know.

 

Twelfth Night -WS

 

***

 

 

He what?!

Randy was passing on the gossip of David’s explosion at the rink Friday. I couldn’t understand why or even believe that he had become so angry with all his friends.

“And the last thing he said when he stormed out was ‘All of you! Get the fuck out of my life!!’ I know that’s what he said because I got the same exact words from three different people who were there.”

“He told his own gang to get the fuck out of his life? His best friend Gary too?”

“Yep! That’s the report. Everyone’s talking about it.”

“I absolutely cannot believe it. Was Twoey there?”

“No, I don’t think so.”

“I’m calling Twoey!”

And so I did.

“Alex? What’s up ...er, I’m almost afraid to ask.”

“Randy told me about David's Friday at the rink. What do you know about it?”

“Well, Tommy called me and I got him in contact with my mother in Albany because we were afraid of alcohol poisoning.”

“What?! Alcohol? Are you crazy? David doesn’t drink! Hell, he doesn’t even drink soda!”

“Apparently, he decided to sample a half liter of vodka.”

“Oh my God, Twoey, what happened?”

“Well, Tommy said a big hangover happened yesterday. I went over and sat with him for a couple of hours in the morning while Tommy got some sleep. The poor kid was up all night with him, he said. But David was unconscious the whole time I was with him. I guess Gary was there even earlier than I was. Anyway, Gary and Sam stopped over here yesterday afternoon. Gary was almost in tears, and I’d never seen Sam depressed before, but he was ...big time! The worst thing is that David’s father, aunt and sister are out of town so he’s all alone, except for Tommy…”

WHAT?! They left him alone?”

“Um, yeah. So, as I was saying, only Tommy is there with him. That kid’s a little party-hound which means David is probably sitting somewhere all alone. Tommy told me he convinced him to come over here yesterday to help me prepare for the party, but he never showed up. Some of the guys tried to go over to his house but he wasn’t home. I even went down to the lake. I looked all around but couldn’t find him. Then I stopped at his house, but he wasn’t home. If there’s one thing I do know, it’s that he’s dangerous when he’s alone and thinking!”

“What are you going to do about it? Maybe your mother can intervene?”

“No, I told you she was in Albany. She’s on a book tour. Why do you think I’m able to have the Breaking-Up Party? Don’t forget, you’re coming!”

“So what are you going to do about David? He’s been such a special friend to you.”

“What you don’t know is that David has been sort of hot and cold and distant from me too, and for a week now. I told you, I went to the park looking for him yesterday, when Gary said he wasn’t home. But I couldn’t find him. I’m really worried about him, but feel I’m handcuffed.”

“Shit ...you guys are worthless. I guess it’ll be up to me. I still love him you know. Is it OK if I bring David to your party tonight?”

There was a long pause.

“If he’ll come. Of course you can.”

“Well, spread the word to all his so-called friends and make sure they’re OK with it. If they aren’t, shoot me a text.”

“Don’t worry. They’ll be fine with it. They’re all worried too, you know.”

I was so furious! What a bunch of wussoids. From the things David mentioned, when he opened up to Randy and me on that most horrible Monday of my life, I thought I knew what torment was going on in his pretty head. So I called him. Well, I tried to call him but got some sort of weird message. I looked up his landline and called that. It rang a bunch of times, but he finally answered.

“Hello.”

“It’s Alex. I couldn’t get you on your phone.”

“I guess I threw it at the wall Friday night.”

“From what I’ve heard, you had quite an interesting Friday.”

“Yeah, it was that. From what I’ve heard, that is. I don’t remember too much.”

He didn’t sound right. There was no emotion at all in his voice. I was getting scared.

“David, what happened? I mean, what really happened. You can tell me.”

“Everybody knows I’m gay.”

“And?”

“And so now I’m alone. Look, thanks for the call and concern, Alex. Tommy just left for some big party and I’m going to take a shower. Remember, I always loved you.” Then he hung up.

I yelled, “SHIT!

Ricky! Ricky! Get down here right away. It’s an emergency!

My 20 year old brother came thundering down the stairs, looking around for an intruder, I guess.

“What’s wrong?”

“My friend David. I think ...I think he’s gonna...”

“Shit, get in my car. We have to get right over there!”

Because he’s gay I’ve told Ricky all about David. That was when I was trying to figure everything out. Ricky sort of knows about his little turmoil.

He got us there really fast. We both jumped out and ran to the side door. It was locked and I banged on the door. Then Ricky took over and banged much louder. He was sizing up the windows, trying to figure how to break in when the door suddenly opened.

There stood David, with wet hair and only a towel wrapped around his waist. He was still mostly wet too. I said a thank-you to God for the sight before me. We didn’t wait, just both pushed past him and walked in.

“Why don’t you guys come in?” He gave me a sly little smirk.

Yes! An emotion!

Our eyes caught. He knew. He knew. He knew why I came. His eyes told me I was right too. I sighed.

David stepped to me and melted me with a soft kiss.

“I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t do it to Tommy.”

“This is my brother, Ricky. You guys met Christmas Eve. He’s gay. I’ve told him about you.”

I turned to Ricky. “Please, take David upstairs and have a talk with him, will you? Then bring him down when he’s dressed.”

I figured if anyone could talk sense into David, it would be Ricky. He went through much the same shit when he was younger. Meanwhile, I rustled up some food. Knowing David, I figured he hadn’t eaten in days.

I kept waiting and waiting for them to come down, but they were still up in his room. I could hear that they were talking. They both seemed to be saying a lot to each other. It wasn’t a one-sided conversation. Finally, it was about two hours later when they came back downstairs. It only took one look for me to realize Ricky had gotten through to him. My brother had to leave, and I sent him on his way. I told him I’d get a ride home from somebody later tonight.

After he left, David gave me a little smile. “Later tonight? Are you staying?”

“Yes, you idiot, and we’re going to Twoey’s party!”

“We are?”

“Yes. Now let’s eat.”

We sat and ate the scrambled eggs and sausages I had prepared while they were upstairs. Throughout the meal, David kept smiling at me. When we finished, I couldn’t suppress my curiosity any longer.

“What?”

“It’s moments like this I wish I were straight. You are so perfect for me.”

I went over to give him a hug. “I guess this makes me your fag hag.”

“No, you’re no hag! My fruit fly maybe, but not my fag hag.”

“Let’s go to the living room and talk.”

We did.

“Ricky told me he almost committed suicide when he was seventeen. Did you know that?”

“Yes. He’s told me all about his terrible coming to terms with himself. But at the time, none of us had any idea what he was going through. He was even successful in fooling my mother, and you know how invasive she can get.” He chuckled at that.

“From what your brother said, I could tell he and I had many similar experiences. It made me realize that no one really knows what torment anyone else is going through. We all need to be more supportive of each other. I mean, everyone does. It was easy to hide my feelings from my family because they don’t give a fuck. But if Ricky could hide his feelings from YOUR mother, then no parent can ever hope to really understand their kid. They should be sure to include that little fact in the Parenting for Dummies book.”

He chuckled, and then got quiet. I think he was replaying something in his mind.

“You know, Ricky told me a lot about himself, what he went through inside his mind at that time. I was surprised it was so much like the same things I had been thinking.”

“You seem calmer now. Did Ricky help you?”

“I couldn’t believe we talked for two hours. I thought it was ten minutes. And yes, he helped me more than my therapist ever did; even more than my seagull.”

“Your seagull?”

“Yes. When my therapist started to suck, I made friends with a seagull and talked to him.”

I caressed his handsome face with my hand. I never realized how bad off he had been. He was right, no one knows. I was sick. “So, what has my brother changed in your outlook?”

“He’s made me understand I need to be content with who I am. I can’t change who I am. I shouldn’t ever want to change who I am. I need to understand that my world will not end. My real friends won’t abandon me. And, you know, he’s really convinced me. Once I understood that I had to be who I was and not concern myself with what others thought, that what they thought was their problem and not mine, it was like a huge weight was lifted from me. Everything is so simple when you aren’t running around trying to be a different self for different people. Then he gave me his number and told me to call anytime, day or night, if I had an urgent problem I couldn’t work out. I really like your brother. Now I’ll just need to replace my phone …hehe.”

I was never as proud of Ricky as I was at that moment.

We talked all day. He admitted his hostility toward some family members. He told me it was something that had been eating at him. He told me he knew he wasn’t fixed yet, but that he now had hope. All the while we talked, he seemed so at peace. He admitted he had hit rock bottom but now could feel himself rising from the ashes of his confusion. Each time he referenced the thoughts of suicide he had harbored, he called it ‘his confusion.’ He even told me he didn’t know if he would ever have succumbed to his confusion.

“I think I was desperately trying to find an honorable way out of my confusion.”

“Honorable?”

“Yes, honorable to myself. I had made a logical case for it and by backing out, by backing down, I thought it would be deceitful. But my brother Tommy became like a big trump card. I could use him and my love for him to cancel the logic. AMOR OMNIA VINCIT. That little saying has new meaning for me now …hehe.”

Later, we ordered a pizza, which I forced him to eat, and we talked even more. This time, David was opening up to me and exposing all his worries and fears. He even told me about the childhood sexual abuse he had remembered in the psychiatrist’s office. That shocked the hell out of me. I could see it might have played a major role in his not wanting to be who he really was. I guess Ricky really got through to him upstairs, and now it was easier for him to talk. That made me happy because it’ll be easier again and again, as he becomes frank with all his friends. God, I prayed there was no bigot among them, although I hadn’t seen anything like that so far. But the real reward was seeing how serene he was. All that nervous energy and fake front was missing. It appeared he was accepting his place in the universe.

Then I asked him the million dollar question.

“Who are you in love with?” He didn’t hesitate for one second.

“Twoey.”

I leaned over and gave him a kiss. “Do the right thing tonight.”

He smiled and nodded.

Oh God, Yes!

Finally, it was time to leave. We walked over to the next block and he hesitated for a moment at the door.

“David, everyone in there loves you.”

I think that was all it took. We entered.

In front of us was a living room with most of the furniture removed. Crepe paper decorations were draped across the ceiling and on the walls. There was an archway into the dining room, on whose table was arrayed a ton of snacks. There were a couple of coolers with soda and water on ice. Hanging from the center of the arch was mistletoe.

It turned out to be a pretty great party. There were nice people and no alcohol. The DJ was pretty good and it looked like Sam was talking to him a lot. I recognized all the gang and their dates; Gary and Mel, Nels and Lauri, Sam and Deena. David introduced me to a hunky football player he called Biggy and his girlfriend Wendy. They seemed to be so in love.

Mike and MaryEllen from Syracuse were there. David introduced me to Terri and Ron. I guess she’s in his math class. There were several guys and girls who were unattached. It seemed Twoey had invited all his new friends from Daleville. I think he was trying to reconnect with them after Erik the Turd had removed Twoey from among them.

There were a few same sex couples too. Randy was with Cory Snyder, which was no big surprise to me.

David introduced me to a couple of boys he was sort of surprised about. He was smooth, but I’ve been around David too long and can read him like a book.

“Alex, these are my friends Matty and Martin.”

They didn’t seem shy though, especially the shorter one, who I think was Matty. David seemed stunned about Martin, but he hid it fairly well. Then I suddenly DID remembered Matty. I had gone to his class to ask him about David, after the beating. And I think Martin was the handsome guy he was talking with when I interrupted them.

People were dancing and we soon joined in too. The DJ was really on top of it, and the music was mostly upbeat with a few slow songs. We danced with a few other people, but mostly with each other.

One unusual thing was that David had never once approached Twoey during all that time. He looked at him often but looked away if Twoey ever caught his eye. I knew he was working stuff out in his mind. But I decided if he didn’t make a move pretty soon, I was going to talk some sense into him.

Boys are so stupid sometimes!

I saw Twoey walk over to Sam, who said something to the DJ. When that song ended, all the music stopped. Sam handed Twoey a mike.

“Thank you, friends. As many of you know, a relationship I was in ended recently. That’s why we’re having this little breaking-up party. And everyone’s been great, boosting my spirits which, I’ll admit, had become a little low.”

I reached over and grabbed David’s hand as Twoey continued.

“My good friend Deena suggested this party for that exact purpose. So I want to thank you, Deena, because it worked. But I need to make another announcement. About half of you already know, but I think it’s important enough for everyone to know. And now that all my friends are right here, it’s the perfect time for me to tell you. The little extra thing to know about me is that I’m gay. The relationship which unfortunately didn’t work out was with another boy.”

At this point, I squeezed David’s hand and whispered to him.

“Now! Do it now! It’s perfect.”

I squeezed his hand again and he dropped it, slowly walking away from me and toward the boy he was in love with. Twoey saw him approaching, and froze. When David arrived, he slid behind Twoey and wrapped him in his arms, leaned over his shoulder and spoke into the mike.

“As am I.”

Twoey swirled around and into David’s arms as Sam relieved him of the mike. David and Twoey squeezed each other, hanging on like they were afraid the other was going to drown. Then I saw their bodies begin to spasm. They each were crying. I began to cry too. It was so moving.

All this happened before the kiss.

The kiss was amazing. It wasn’t sexy or erotic; it wasn’t needy or reliant. It was the kiss of two parts of the whole that should have always been together. Everyone in the room was touched. I think we all had tears in our eyes.

For the rest of the evening, David never moved from Twoey’s side. The party went on for another couple of hours, but I never saw David lose physical contact with Twoey. Later, when it was time to leave, Gary approached me. Because his father was driving Mel home, he offered me a ride.

Before I left, I went to the new couple. I gave them each a kiss and congratulatory wishes. Twoey caught my eye and there was a little bit of stuff passing between us. He was thanking me.

As Gary said goodnight, he and David hugged tightly. I knew in that hug everything was forgiven between the best friends. I heard David ask Gary to text Tommy that he’d be staying with Twoey tonight.

And so my day ended as it began, with thoughts of David. I felt closer to him now than I ever did while we were dating – now that I was his fruit fly.

Strange, isn’t it?


Trigger warning:
Actions related to Suicide


Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 36
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I'm glad Alex was the smart, caring girl she can be - and the pushy, get-things-done one too! So... this is a great positive step for David, but I still have this shaky feeling since we don't have words from David's mouth yet. Three days left... has the real Danny, the one that wants David to be happy with his life (and alive!) won out over the siren in David's bent mind? What will a night with Twoey do so soon after this scare? Will it finally bring them closer, bring them to the way they both wanted to be?

 

I'm shaking a bit, partly because I'm cold, partly because I'm anxious, and partly because I'm happy. Good stuff, dude. :wizard:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

OMG.....I never imagined I would ever remotely like Alex....now I fracking love the b*tch...DAVID AND TWOEY ARE TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Man, that was close, SD. I can't help wondering what David would have done if Alex and Ricky hadn't shown up...he'd decided against suicide for Tommy's sake, but I'm sure wasn't in any real shape to handle things yet.
I'd forgotten about her brother, so it was a surprise when she pulled him out of her hat. His talk with David has brought much needed clarity to our hero, but the work isn't done, there's still the disconnect from his family to deal with--not that I think they are worth it, except for Tommy.
I'm thrilled that he's decided Twoey is his other half, just like their two half dollars...if they keep the lines of communication open, they'll work everything out. I had a big smile on my face when David took Twoey into his arms and made his proclamation.
Several days to go...I hope David has found that his anchor is enough to keep him safe in his mental recovery still to come.
Big hugs, my friend!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is absolutely the greatest story ever and I still never want it to end! On that subject, I do understand why you don't want to change its name to 18 Months of Twoey. It could be draining to chronicle every day of the rest of sophomore year, plus most of their junior year too. (So I guess it should be assumed that 18 Years of Twoey is out of the question....)

 

But here are some more realistic ideas for your consideration, Skinny D. You would probably need to change the name of this story to The First 18 Weeks of Twoey. This scenario provides you with some excellend possibilities for a much more manageable sequel e.g. The Next 18 Weeks of Twoey. Or you could jump ahead to sophomore year of college by writing Another 18 Weeks of Twoey. Or you could really shake things up by fast forwarding to the gang's first year in the Daleville Convalescent Center with your groundbreaking novel 18 Weeks of Geriatric Twoey. Because let's face facts -- we know that David & Twoey's golden years will be even more dramatic than the first 18 weeks of their sophomore year of high school -- and don't the readers deserve to see that the cliche about how "there's life after 80" isn't just a cliche -- at least, not in Daleville?!

 

In all seriousness, I can't thank you enough for writing this brilliant, thoughtful, riveting and poignant story. The countless hours of entertainment you've provided are priceless. I'm in awe of your talent as a writer. Well done!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well I thought about making some kind of remark about Alex's pushiness, but in this case that really wasn't what this was. This was genuine concern sparking assertiveness and springing her into taking action. I just find it frustrating that the only person who could or would accomplish this in the entire story was Alex. Not because Alex shouldn't have, but because she was the only person who cared ENOUGH to actually take action. The others cared, but they didn't care enough. Even Twoey who gave up way too easily, again. It's just pretty sad when David's exgirlfriend who he wasn't even in contact with was the only person who was there for him when he was about to end his own life. Friends he's grown up with, his ultimately useless family, and the boy who's supposedly in love with him all watched him (or ignored him) fall apart, but couldn't be bothered to actually make sure he was ok.

 

Yes, Alex's brother was essential to helping David pull out of these thoughts he was having and help him open up. She should have been there because she cares about David. She just shouldn't have been alone in her efforts.

 

Ultimately this was a satisfying chapter. From what we saw of Alex's point of view, things went really well. I was touched by David taking Twoey in his arms. But is David in the clear? Is he past the worst? Who in his life can be really counted on? What happens if he falls into another major depression in a year or two? All his friends will be too busy to be there beyond a token effort. His family (even Tommy sadly) won't care enough or at all to be there for him. And Twoey still hasn't really fought for him like he said he was going to. Will he just give up again? Who in David's life will really be there for him when the chips are really down? Alex is only one person.

 

Just some random thoughts I have.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice chapter. I'm glad David is finally looking in the mirror and accepting the reflection staring back.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have enjoyed this story tremendously.

 

And I can understand that it's from a teenager's point of view.

 

I don't think that his family or friends abandoned him...it's from his perspective, which is warped by stress and irrational thought and actions.

 

Suicide is not rational and is often well hidden from loved ones, friends and colleagues - else more people would be stopped, saved, rescued etc.

 

I think that this story is somewhat perfect even with it's imperfections.

 

Thank you for sharing your talent and exposing yourself to critics and admirers alike...I wish you well n hope that you hone your talent from strength to strength ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Go Alex! At least there's someone in Daleville who knows when to leap into action! Her comments about the rest of David's friends are right on! I've gotta say, Twoey's excuses for not doing more than he did are a little weak. But at least he did make an attempt to find him, even if it was a little halfhearted.

 

And thankfully her brother Ricky was around, too. He seems to have done more in two hours of talking than any of the adults have managed over all these weeks. Well, it seems as though David and Twoey are joined now, but I'm a little bit nervous of what Skinny might spring on us over the next few episodes - in Skinnyland anything can happen! :-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 03:13 PM, Timothy M. said:

YES! :D My opinion of Alex has been vindicated. Awesome.

Thanks, Tim!

 

Yep, sometimes "pushy" is good. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 03:18 PM, Lux Apollo said:

I'm glad Alex was the smart, caring girl she can be - and the pushy, get-things-done one too! So... this is a great positive step for David, but I still have this shaky feeling since we don't have words from David's mouth yet. Three days left... has the real Danny, the one that wants David to be happy with his life (and alive!) won out over the siren in David's bent mind? What will a night with Twoey do so soon after this scare? Will it finally bring them closer, bring them to the way they both wanted to be?

 

I'm shaking a bit, partly because I'm cold, partly because I'm anxious, and partly because I'm happy. Good stuff, dude. :wizard:

Thanks, lux!

 

Yes, Alex came through--Hey she didn't get her own section of the story for nothing. :)

 

Aaaand, sorry to say, but we won't hear any David thoughts in the next chapter either. :o

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 03:59 PM, JayT said:

OMG.....I never imagined I would ever remotely like Alex....now I fracking love the b*tch...DAVID AND TWOEY ARE TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, jt!

 

She definitely came through for them. And they are together. Just a few little snags ahead. :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 04:07 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Man, that was close, SD. I can't help wondering what David would have done if Alex and Ricky hadn't shown up...he'd decided against suicide for Tommy's sake, but I'm sure wasn't in any real shape to handle things yet.

I'd forgotten about her brother, so it was a surprise when she pulled him out of her hat. His talk with David has brought much needed clarity to our hero, but the work isn't done, there's still the disconnect from his family to deal with--not that I think they are worth it, except for Tommy.

I'm thrilled that he's decided Twoey is his other half, just like their two half dollars...if they keep the lines of communication open, they'll work everything out. I had a big smile on my face when David took Twoey into his arms and made his proclamation.

Several days to go...I hope David has found that his anchor is enough to keep him safe in his mental recovery still to come.

Big hugs, my friend!

Thanks, CG!

 

It's hard to imagine what David would have done after deciding against suicide. But I'm sure it wouldn't have been to go to Twoey's party. And you're right, he has a long road ahead.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 08:44 PM, mg777 said:

This is absolutely the greatest story ever and I still never want it to end! On that subject, I do understand why you don't want to change its name to 18 Months of Twoey. It could be draining to chronicle every day of the rest of sophomore year, plus most of their junior year too. (So I guess it should be assumed that 18 Years of Twoey is out of the question....)

 

But here are some more realistic ideas for your consideration, Skinny D. You would probably need to change the name of this story to The First 18 Weeks of Twoey. This scenario provides you with some excellend possibilities for a much more manageable sequel e.g. The Next 18 Weeks of Twoey. Or you could jump ahead to sophomore year of college by writing Another 18 Weeks of Twoey. Or you could really shake things up by fast forwarding to the gang's first year in the Daleville Convalescent Center with your groundbreaking novel 18 Weeks of Geriatric Twoey. Because let's face facts -- we know that David & Twoey's golden years will be even more dramatic than the first 18 weeks of their sophomore year of high school -- and don't the readers deserve to see that the cliche about how "there's life after 80" isn't just a cliche -- at least, not in Daleville?!

 

In all seriousness, I can't thank you enough for writing this brilliant, thoughtful, riveting and poignant story. The countless hours of entertainment you've provided are priceless. I'm in awe of your talent as a writer. Well done!

Thanks, mg!

 

Thanks for the kind words, too. Although, I can think of one or two or 56,782 'greater' stories than "18 Weeks."

 

I like the idea of 18 Geriatric Weeks. I'll save that for when I'm one too, then I'll be able to get in the characters' heads better. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 10:13 PM, spikey582 said:

Well I thought about making some kind of remark about Alex's pushiness, but in this case that really wasn't what this was. This was genuine concern sparking assertiveness and springing her into taking action. I just find it frustrating that the only person who could or would accomplish this in the entire story was Alex. Not because Alex shouldn't have, but because she was the only person who cared ENOUGH to actually take action. The others cared, but they didn't care enough. Even Twoey who gave up way too easily, again. It's just pretty sad when David's exgirlfriend who he wasn't even in contact with was the only person who was there for him when he was about to end his own life. Friends he's grown up with, his ultimately useless family, and the boy who's supposedly in love with him all watched him (or ignored him) fall apart, but couldn't be bothered to actually make sure he was ok.

 

Yes, Alex's brother was essential to helping David pull out of these thoughts he was having and help him open up. She should have been there because she cares about David. She just shouldn't have been alone in her efforts.

 

Ultimately this was a satisfying chapter. From what we saw of Alex's point of view, things went really well. I was touched by David taking Twoey in his arms. But is David in the clear? Is he past the worst? Who in his life can be really counted on? What happens if he falls into another major depression in a year or two? All his friends will be too busy to be there beyond a token effort. His family (even Tommy sadly) won't care enough or at all to be there for him. And Twoey still hasn't really fought for him like he said he was going to. Will he just give up again? Who in David's life will really be there for him when the chips are really down? Alex is only one person.

 

Just some random thoughts I have.

Thanks, spikey.

 

Well, she was the only character to talk to him at the correct moment and suss out what he intended to do. Her nature, no doubt inherited from her mother, :) also was a factor--plus she's smart--plus she loves him--plus her brother went through stuff too--plus a lot of things sort of lined up. But we shouldn't take anything away from David's Fruit Fly, that's for sure.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/19/2016 11:14 PM, Ronyx said:

Nice chapter. I'm glad David is finally looking in the mirror and accepting the reflection staring back.

Thanks, Ron.

 

That's a good image for the chapter. No pun intended--well, a little pun intended. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/20/2016 04:35 AM, Magicstate said:

I have enjoyed this story tremendously.

 

And I can understand that it's from a teenager's point of view.

 

I don't think that his family or friends abandoned him...it's from his perspective, which is warped by stress and irrational thought and actions.

 

Suicide is not rational and is often well hidden from loved ones, friends and colleagues - else more people would be stopped, saved, rescued etc.

 

I think that this story is somewhat perfect even with it's imperfections.

 

Thank you for sharing your talent and exposing yourself to critics and admirers alike...I wish you well n hope that you hone your talent from strength to strength ;-)

Thank You, Magic!

 

You make an excellent point, and it was something I had to keep in mind for every chapter. Sometimes it wasn't easy, but if you're going to really understand 18 Weeks, you've got to understand that little fact first and foremost. We only see the world through (mostly) 15-year-old David's eyes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/20/2016 07:35 AM, jess30519 said:

Go Alex! At least there's someone in Daleville who knows when to leap into action! Her comments about the rest of David's friends are right on! I've gotta say, Twoey's excuses for not doing more than he did are a little weak. But at least he did make an attempt to find him, even if it was a little halfhearted.

 

And thankfully her brother Ricky was around, too. He seems to have done more in two hours of talking than any of the adults have managed over all these weeks. Well, it seems as though David and Twoey are joined now, but I'm a little bit nervous of what Skinny might spring on us over the next few episodes - in Skinnyland anything can happen! :-)

Thanks, jess!

 

Boy, did she EVER spring into action. But what she did the rest of the day, and even at the party, was just as important. She literally gave him away! She gave Twoey his Christmas present, wrapped in a bow.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was going to read right on through, but I had to give Alex props. She was amazing here. You did say to give her a chance and I'm so happy with how she came through for David, that fruit fly.. Her brother too. Just great SkinnyD...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/23/2016 10:19 AM, Parker Owens said:

Finally. Thanks to Alex, and to Ricky, and to David's friends who love him, finally. Thanks. I can sleep now.

Thank you, Parker!

 

Alex thanks you too--hehe.

 

Sorry if the last few chapters gave you insomnia.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/25/2016 04:12 AM, Defiance19 said:

I was going to read right on through, but I had to give Alex props. She was amazing here. You did say to give her a chance and I'm so happy with how she came through for David, that fruit fly.. Her brother too. Just great SkinnyD...

Thanks, Def!

 

Alex also thanks you for stopping here to give her a little nod. I guess sometimes you need a friend with aggressive, tough love. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Whew! I can finally breathe! I was holding my breath from the moment Alex called David. Thank God she realized what he was going to do and enlisted her brother to help.

 

It's amazing what a couple of hours talking to someone who's been through the same exact thing (well, except for the child abuse), can do for a person. David has a whole new outlook on life --- a hopeful one. :)

 

I was crying when he went up to Twoey, held him, and made his announcement. I was soooo proud of him!!!

 

Alex really came through for him, and Ricky helped him in a way no one else could --- because no one else has been there in David's shoes. Except Ricky.

 

This was such a wonderful chapter, Skinny!!! I know David has a long way to go, but I think with the support of Tommy and all his friends, including of course his ff Alex (fruit fly)(much better than fag hag), he'll be fine. He still needs to sort out the sexual abuse trauma, hopefully with a new therapist and repressed memories. Will he still go to that repressed memory place in Syracuse?

 

Wonder what will happen when Tommy's father gets back...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/15/2016 01:36 PM, Lisa said:

Whew! I can finally breathe! I was holding my breath from the moment Alex called David. Thank God she realized what he was going to do and enlisted her brother to help.

 

It's amazing what a couple of hours talking to someone who's been through the same exact thing (well, except for the child abuse), can do for a person. David has a whole new outlook on life --- a hopeful one. :)

 

I was crying when he went up to Twoey, held him, and made his announcement. I was soooo proud of him!!!

 

Alex really came through for him, and Ricky helped him in a way no one else could --- because no one else has been there in David's shoes. Except Ricky.

 

This was such a wonderful chapter, Skinny!!! I know David has a long way to go, but I think with the support of Tommy and all his friends, including of course his ff Alex (fruit fly)(much better than fag hag), he'll be fine. He still needs to sort out the sexual abuse trauma, hopefully with a new therapist and repressed memories. Will he still go to that repressed memory place in Syracuse?

 

Wonder what will happen when Tommy's father gets back...

Thanks, Lisa!

 

Alex DID come through. It's too bad she didn't send David to meet her brother when he first (sort of) came out to her. It would have saved him a world of hurt. :)

 

He has a long way to go, but being comfortable with himself is going to be more than half the battle, so I have a good feeling about that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..