Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 1,710 Words
  • 3,663 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 34. Week Five Saturday, October 4, 2014: Homecoming Dance

How much one cares for you is how you know.

After this morning's run I crossed the street as soon as I saw Gary go into his house, and ran over to Plum. Since the car was still there, I rang her bell. Twoey's mom invited me in and forced me to have breakfast.

“I'm sorry, I probably smell awful. I came directly from finishing my run. I couldn't be here last night because of the game and can’t tonight because of the dance.”

She laughed and said, “You know David, I'd rather smell a boy who's been running than have to smell one in a hospital room.”

“Twoey was awake a few times yesterday and had a smile on his face. If he gets a lot of pain he can push a button which releases a pain killer into his IV. But it's so strong it knocks him out for a couple of hours. He can't talk yet. I got him a little dry-erase board to communicate, and I'm going to give it to him today.”

She added something interesting. “He doesn't know what happened to him, but the doctors don't want me to tell him yet. They want to wait until he's recovered a bit. They're afraid the shock will make him remember things too soon and it will interfere with his recovery while he’s so critical.”

I don't know if she even knows about what really, really happened, but my lips are sealed! I began to wonder if the doctors were in on this military cover-up too. Maybe they don’t want black helicopters over their houses, either.

I told her I've been keeping Lanni up to date. She looked puzzled. I explained she was Twoey's date for tonight's dance.

She went, “Oh! OK. He had only told me about the dance on the day of his accident, but never told me the girl's name.”

I filled her in all about Lanni. She asked about my date and I filled her in all about Kathy, even about Cal and Greg. I even told her how Greg plucked me out of the fight with Biggy. I told her how I was sort of unwittingly made a boyfriend of Kathy, but was debating whether or not to end it after the dance. I think I told her my whole frickin' life this morning. She's a good psychologist! She gets me to spill my guts without even knowing it. I also told her about Tommy's mother not letting me see Dr. Keating and all about Pastor Enos Johnson and his circus of a church.

She was disappointed about me not seeing Dr. Keating. “David, I think he could do you a world of good, especially since you're very mature. I think you would be able to understand whatever your underlying problem is with his help.”

“I haven't given up on seeing him. It might take a little doing on my part.”

She raised her eyebrow and I think she was about to ask me how I planned to do that, but thought better of it ...hehe. She said it was time for her to go to the hospital.

“Tell Twoey I'm worried about him and can't wait for him to get out of ICU so I can visit ! Tell him all his friends are concerned too and also tell him Lanni is in the loop now.”

On my way home I noticed the weather was starting to get a little misty. Shit! My hair is gonna be a huge mess for the dance. Crap!

My father surprised me when I got home. He said he would drive us to the dance! OMG! where did this guy come from and where is my father? He said the weather might not be too nice. He even told me to give him a call if we wanted a ride home. I had to look at him more closely to see if it really was my father standing there.

I took a hot shower and even shaved! I don’t have much to shave. I wonder when I'll start to get serious facial hair. I also meditated again. I think this is starting to do me a lot of good. I centered my being and filled my mind with pleasant thoughts of Kathy and how great the dance was going to be. I've often found when I create positive thoughts like this, reality reflects it. Hey don't laugh ...it's worked a lot ...in the past anyway!

A little later I started preparing for the dance. The shirt, the tie, black skinny jeans, blue Vans and a dark blue jacket which went well with the shirt and tie and Vans! I was all coordinated with myself and with Kathy. Now I only had to work on my poor hair, which took like a whole hour and it still looked like shit. I can't do anything with it in rainy weather. It looks like I just crawled out of the lake! Maybe I should have it cut. Mmmm ...NOT!

Dad drove me over to Kathy's house and her mom took pictures ...Jeez, you'd think it was the prom or something! Anyway we got our ride right to the door, and a good thing because the 'mist' was getting a little heavier now.

The gym was decorated nicely. Gary and Mel had been delivered by his dad. I wondered if the dads got together on this driving thing. The dance was ...nice. Actually it was very nice. I danced a lot with Kathy, of course, and a few times with Mel. Lanni and Deena were also at the dance. I guess they came together. All in all, it was a pretty great dance. I noticed a lot of kids came stag. Everybody seemed to have a good time.

There was a period of time I lost track of Kathy. I had a fun dance with Terri while Ron was ...who knows where. I also decided to have a dance with Deena. I think she liked it. I must be growing on her ...haha. Still not seeing Kathy, I danced with Lanni. I didn’t expect her to be so much fun! She’s so shy in school, but really lets her hair down on the dance floor. When the song finished, still not seeing Kathy anywhere, I asked Lanni if she was up for another dance. She gave me a sly smile and it made me think of Danny.

Shit! I’ve gotta stop doing this!

Anyway, it was a slow dance and I’m glad because I was on the verge of choking up again. We danced closely and I’m sure she felt a few Danny tears hitting her shoulder because she held me yet tighter. Lanni’s squeeze actually calmed me down. When the song finished, I apologized but she said she understood.

Lanni kissed me.

Then she walked away.

I’m sure it was a healing kiss and not a romantic kiss. It was soft and short.

And sweet.

And from Lanni.

I finally spotted Kathy way on the other side of the gym dancing with Martin from my team. I wandered over and arrived as their dance ended. Kathy and I finished the last few songs of Homecoming Dance together.

All throughout the evening I made sure to congratulate my new football friends on their victory. Lots of people I barely knew came up to me and talked, some about Danny. It was a little sad but, in a way, it was nice to know they cared.

I think the only person at the dance who didn't eventually say something to me was Cal. Ha! Fucker. Well he came stag. I don't know who the cheerleader slut was, but she clearly wasn't with him tonight.

Cheaters never win!

Twoey

Sometimes Mom would be there when I woke up, but I was frustrated I couldn't talk to her. Finally one time when I woke up she put this real small lightweight plastic rectangle in my left hand and asked if I was able to lift it up to see it. When I showed her I could, she slipped a dry-erase marker into my right hand (I had to put down my pain-killer button). This was like the whiteboards at school except small, about the size of an iPad.

I immediately wrote the one thing which has been bugging me: “What happened” I had absolutely no idea why I was here.

She said, “You had an accident.”

I wiped the board and wrote: “hit by car”

She smiled. “Don't even think about it. I'll tell you more in a few days when you get a little stronger.”

It really confused and bugged the hell out of me.

“You have to stay in the hospital until your injury heals a bit. You had an injury to your neck and head severe enough to cause lots of blood loss. The pain you get will slowly lessen as you start to recover and in about a week the doctors think you might be able to start to speak. But don't even try to use your voice before the doctors tell you because you could set yourself back.”

I was trying to remember what happened before I woke up in here, but all I got was a shooting pain.

One of the times when I woke up, Mom was there holding my hand. She told me David has been stopping over to keep up-to-date on my condition and he's been relaying the information to all my friends, even to Lanni.

Lanni! I hadn't even thought about her. Poor Lanni never got to go to the dance! I started to feel even sadder.

She said David came over for breakfast after his run this morning. Mom also said David couldn't wait for me to get out of Intensive Care so he could come visit. Now I know I have to get better quick! My head was throbbing. The run! Jeez I wonder if this injury I have, whatever it is, will interfere with soccer?

Why am I even thinking about soccer? David loves me! I squeezed my button so hard! The pain lessened and I floated away...

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 31
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A neat chapter, skinny! Alas, I'm more anxious about Twoey than ever before--he's in for a big disappointment. He's going to need his mom's services a lot in the next weeks.
I hope David gets the help he needs from Dr. Keating...but at least he is talking to Ginny about things in his life.
As for Kathy, I hope we see the end of her soon, she seems to be looking around, so maybe she'll sink her claws into someone who she can push around easier...like this Martin guy.
More please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is a great chapter, though there are bits and pieces that could coalesce into trouble. That's what makes it great. How will David deal with Kathy, or will she deal with him? How will Twoey react to knowing - or remembering - what really happened? How will David deal with his feelings for Twoey? And will David's visits to Twoey's mom draw the ire and fire of "Tommy's mother?" Nice to see David actually dancing with Lanni, being nice to Kathy, and living as the great guY everyone thinks him to be. Thanks for this lovely chapter. I'm with David, and can't wait for Twoey to move out of ICU.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm so worried about Twoey and his recoverythat I found myself Googling "recovering from being shot in the neck!"

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/09/2015 10:46 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

A neat chapter, skinny! Alas, I'm more anxious about Twoey than ever before--he's in for a big disappointment. He's going to need his mom's services a lot in the next weeks.

I hope David gets the help he needs from Dr. Keating...but at least he is talking to Ginny about things in his life.

As for Kathy, I hope we see the end of her soon, she seems to be looking around, so maybe she'll sink her claws into someone who she can push around easier...like this Martin guy.

More please!

Thanks for the review and thoughts CG!

Poor Twoey's mom! She'll have two adolescent puppies in her hands soon ...hehe.

Now the dance is over maybe David will move on, but there'll be a Halloween dance in a few weeks. He better extricate himself ASAP!

Actually, Martin is David's friend, as you'll soon see.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/09/2015 11:20 PM, Parker Owens said:

This is a great chapter, though there are bits and pieces that could coalesce into trouble. That's what makes it great. How will David deal with Kathy, or will she deal with him? How will Twoey react to knowing - or remembering - what really happened? How will David deal with his feelings for Twoey? And will David's visits to Twoey's mom draw the ire and fire of "Tommy's mother?" Nice to see David actually dancing with Lanni, being nice to Kathy, and living as the great guY everyone thinks him to be. Thanks for this lovely chapter. I'm with David, and can't wait for Twoey to move out of ICU.

Hey Parker, thanks for all those leads ...hehe

 

Yep to most all of them, with a few twists here and there.

 

It won't be giving much away, cuz it's pretty obvious, that David and Twoey are going to encounter some wrenching times once D. can visit the hospital. They love each other, no matter what denial is present, and it's gotta cause something to happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/10/2015 05:41 AM, mitchelll said:

I'm so worried about Twoey and his recoverythat I found myself Googling "recovering from being shot in the neck!"

Oh Dear Mitchelll !

 

I hope I don't violate too much medical accuracy. Give me just a little bit of poetic license, please!

 

Haha ...anyway thanks for your concern. Twoey thanks you also, although he can't talk just yet :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

My concerns are exactly what Parker and CG brought up in their reviews... I wonder if Twoey will remember Danny said to fight for love? I am so anxious to get to at least their first meeting, just so we maybe get an idea of what is going to happen. If I could turn the page, I would've probably skipped ahead and then come back to this point. :unsure: I know, but I would be breathing fine..
Really nice chapter SkinnyD..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/10/2015 12:04 PM, Defiance19 said:

My concerns are exactly what Parker and CG brought up in their reviews... I wonder if Twoey will remember Danny said to fight for love? I am so anxious to get to at least their first meeting, just so we maybe get an idea of what is going to happen. If I could turn the page, I would've probably skipped ahead and then come back to this point. :unsure: I know, but I would be breathing fine..

Really nice chapter SkinnyD..

Thanks Defiance for the great comments!

Haha ...no peeking!

I have a feeling that first meeting is going to be wrenchingly emotional for both boys. Strap in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I was kinda thinking the same thing as CG; why did Kathy take off and start dancing with other people (at least Martin, and who knows who else? She was gone for quite some time)? I would have thought she'd stick by David's side the whole time. At least it gave him a chance to dance with his friends, and with Lanni. She seems so sweet. She's going to be really disappointed when she finds out Twoey bats for the other team. :P And eventually David too.

 

When David was doing his internal ramblings about his hair being a mess because of the mist and how it's going to look like crap for the dance, I was cracking up! He's so funny! :lol:

 

I think it's great that David's stopping by to see Twoey's mom a lot. I'm sure she could use the company also. I wonder when David mentioned Tommy's mother not letting him see Dr. Keating, if he actually said 'Tommy's mother' or 'my mother'. lol You would think being a therapist, she would have picked up on that.

 

I can't believe Twoey has to wait at least another WEEK to even speak! I'm sure his not remembering what happened has to do with his head injury, but I also wonder if his brain is protecting him by using his sort of amnesia about it (for lack of a better word), as a defense mechanism because his brain knows that if remembered everything that happened, it would probably delay his recovery quite a bit. Or bring it to a stop completely. The brain is a very powerful organ, as we all know.

 

Excellent chapter, Skinny! On to the next one! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/18/2015 02:11 PM, Lisa said:

I was kinda thinking the same thing as CG; why did Kathy take off and start dancing with other people (at least Martin, and who knows who else? She was gone for quite some time)? I would have thought she'd stick by David's side the whole time. At least it gave him a chance to dance with his friends, and with Lanni. She seems so sweet. She's going to be really disappointed when she finds out Twoey bats for the other team. :P And eventually David too.

 

When David was doing his internal ramblings about his hair being a mess because of the mist and how it's going to look like crap for the dance, I was cracking up! He's so funny! :lol:

 

I think it's great that David's stopping by to see Twoey's mom a lot. I'm sure she could use the company also. I wonder when David mentioned Tommy's mother not letting him see Dr. Keating, if he actually said 'Tommy's mother' or 'my mother'. lol You would think being a therapist, she would have picked up on that.

 

I can't believe Twoey has to wait at least another WEEK to even speak! I'm sure his not remembering what happened has to do with his head injury, but I also wonder if his brain is protecting him by using his sort of amnesia about it (for lack of a better word), as a defense mechanism because his brain knows that if remembered everything that happened, it would probably delay his recovery quite a bit. Or bring it to a stop completely. The brain is a very powerful organ, as we all know.

 

Excellent chapter, Skinny! On to the next one! :)

Thanks Lisa!

 

David's going to find out soon enough what Kathy was doing, but (naturally) will draw the wrong conclusion. I think the handwriting's on the wall for the ultimate fate of that relationship anyway.

 

Ginny will probably begin helping David more as the worries about her son lessen. But we can never forget all this we are privy to is from David's perspective. As we are slowly discovering, David is superb at hiding things from himself.

 

It's easy to forget how seriously injured Twoey was. He was on the edge of death. We get to experience his thoughts, but even those thoughts will be colored or forgotten as he heals.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks skinny! Great to laugh again.

 

The whole scene with David and twoey's mom too funny. Wow, David is clueless as ever :) . I love the way he projects what Tommy's mom thinks is important into his conversation with twoey's mom. It's almost cute.

 

It is nice to discover that even though the story has taken a hard serious turn, the intrinsic humor remains.

 

Two puppies ....

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/09/2016 05:22 PM, said:

Thanks skinny! Great to laugh again.

 

The whole scene with David and twoey's mom too funny. Wow, David is clueless as ever :) . I love the way he projects what Tommy's mom thinks is important into his conversation with twoey's mom. It's almost cute.

 

It is nice to discover that even though the story has taken a hard serious turn, the intrinsic humor remains.

 

Two puppies ....

Thanks oxala!

 

Even though it was well predicted, the 'serious turn' upset some readers. I even think we lost a few. But that's life. It was necessary for the story, especially later, near its conclusion. There will be a few more bumpy roads.

 

That being said, David's journey is full of humor and will continue to be. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..