Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 1,600 Words
  • 4,002 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 38. Week Six Wednesday October 8, 2014: She Loves Me?

The phantoms truly have invaded me.

“Coach Basuba wants me to time our run each morning and measure the distance. Gary, I have no frickin' idea how to measure the distance, but we run the same route every day so maybe we can figure it out later.”

I timed it, which was the baseline time according to Coach Basuba. I suppose this will improve as I learn those 5 stages techniques. “You know Gary, you'll be learning right along with me. You'll be ready to move up to varsity either later this year or next year for sure!”

“Don’t kid yourself David, it’s gonna be next year.”

During my morning meditation, there was no Twoey, but I hadn't expected him. He's not gonna be pressing that button again. The next time I see him will be at the hospital when they get him out of Intensive Care. Soon, I'm sure.

While I was meditating my thoughts turned to Lanni and then I knew immediately what I was going to do.

On our walk to school, Sam sort of worked his way over to me and then slowed a bit so we were falling behind Gary and Nels. “What’s with you an Matty?” I remembered his glance from lunch yesterday.

“What do you mean? I like Matty.”

Sam goes, “Don't you think it's strange Matty’s all over you? It’s almost like he’s jealous of anybody else talking to you.”

“Jealous?” I scoffed.

“Well, pay a little attention to him.”

What a weird thing to say. Matty’s only interest is getting me on the wrestling team. Once I say a final ‘NO WAY,’ he'll disappear. For Sure!

I’ll sort of miss him though ...for sure.

And why does Sam even care?

 

Before math, I asked Kathy, “What do you think about us going to the movies Saturday with Lanni and Deena?” (This was what came to me in my meditation this morning.)

Anyway, Kathy got a perplexed look on her face for a few seconds, then agreed. “You're always thinking about other people's feelings! Of course we can. Poor Lanni must be feeling really sad and lonely. That’s why I love you.”

She loves me?? I know we’re sorta going out, but I have never, for even an instant, gotten the feeling she loved me. I’m more like a place holder for her. Wait until someone built like her brother flirts with her. I’ll be dumped in the garbage like yesterday’s lunch. Sorta like Twoey’s father was gonna do to me.

During today’s lunch I made sure every conversation I had with Matty involved someone else too!

Except for Erik. I’m done with Erik.

I sensed Matty trying to steer stuff his way but I wasn’t having any of it. I like Matty, but he doesn’t own me. This wrestling pressure is starting to get on my nerves a little. Why doesn’t get-in-my-space Erik leave this table anyway?

Well, after lunch I intercepted Lanni before her English class and asked. She really lit up and said if Deena could, they would be there. I told her, “Come along even if Deena can't make it!” I kissed her cheek to emphasize my point. She smiled and nodded.

Aw, she's such a sweet girl, and I can’t shake my feelings for her.

I’m sorry, I can’t!

In social we were taking a little quiz when I looked up to find Burch staring at me. It was a stare like, ‘how can I hurt this kid?’ So I stared right back. My stare said, ‘how can I kill this asshole?’ I need to practice some crazy stares at home, but I keep forgetting.

I showed Basuba’s pass to my study hall teacher and explained starting tomorrow I’ll be in the weight room every day. I worked on homework and read some social, maybe for the last time in this room!

Matty got his alone time with me again in PhysEd. When is this wrestling unit ever gonna end? Anyway, things finished early and we had about twenty extra minutes at the end of the period. Instead of going to the locker room, Matty decided to hang with me during the dead time. We sat on the mat and talked. No, he never asked me about joining the wrestling team ...hehe. He had heard about me making varsity. We talked about what it meant, and the extra work I needed to put in.

It then became a pretty deep conversation. I asked some stuff about him and found he lives close to the lake. He suggested I stop in some time to visit. I got his address and we exchanged phone numbers. The guy is starting to grow on me. I like his intensity. He focuses on you when he talks. It makes you feel like you’re the only thing important to him at the moment. It’s quite an interesting trait. I like it a lot. I think I really like Matty. He’d make a great friend. While he doesn’t look anything like him, I sorta receive a Danny-vibe from him. Not a bad thing, in my book.

The neatest thing? He never touched me once the whole twenty minutes.

Coach Basuba runs a strong practice. He put me through some tough paces today. I think he was evaluating my stamina. By the end of practice, every part of my body ached. I could hardly walk home. Gary noticed too.

It happened again!

As soon as I was in the doorway of my room, something didn’t feel right. I looked around, and again I couldn’t discover anything missing or out of place. Actually, I did sense something different. There was a whiff of a scent. It was barely there and then I couldn’t smell it anymore. This is starting to drive me crazy. No ...not that kind of crazy, but you know what I mean.

I decided to mark it on my calendar. If this happens more, maybe I can discover a pattern.

I had a happy deep healing zone meditation today. Derek Jeter showed me how the bullet hole was mending nicely. It’s just a little rosy-pink right now. But the good news is that the spinal area is only a faint rose color and it seems to be in the tissue rather that the bone, where it was concentrated before.

When my screen zoomed back you could hardly see the color in this area when viewing his entire body. And if it’s really Twoey's entire body I’m looking at, a certain part of my body has a slight inferiority complex.

I chose to sit at her dinner table tonight. No one but Tommy talked to me. I was thankful. For that little gift, I’ll have to determine the proper God to offer a sacrifice.

Today's dinner ‘food’ was pork chops cooked in apples. Not a bad idea, but after twelve hours in the crock-pot it was the same as everything else which comes out of that twisted device. Once again, I toasted some goopy bread until it firmed up and made a tasteless pulled pork sandwich. This time she permitted me to eat the entire sandwich. I washed it down with a glass of milk.

On the other hand, Ginny made chicken and biscuits tonight with a light and delicate gravy. Mmmm. I'm definitely gonna be packing on some pounds if I keep eating there! I gave her my regimen list and she went into her office, making a copy. Ginny promised to use it as a guide for the meals she’d teach me to cook. She proceeded to tell me some good news.

“The doctor thinks Michael will be in a regular room by this weekend!” Then Ginny pulled me into the tightest hug, and I could tell she was on the verge of crying when she whispered to me, “Thank you for watching over my son. I know you've saved his life.”

On my way home I thought about what she said, and what a touching statement it was. It almost made me cry. I'm sure I don't deserve any credit ...maybe Jeter.

In her nightly call, Kathy was pleased when I told her about Lanni's reaction to joining us at the movies. Today ended on two high notes. You sure don't get that to happen very often.

At least not to me.

At least not lately.

Twoey

The doctor thinks my neck is healing well, but still won't let me talk and still won't tell me how I injured it! This is frustrating. I should have 'asked' David in that floaty place, but negative thoughts never entered my mind when I was there, and I'm pretty sure I'm done being there. I don't even hold the button anymore ...but it's still on the bed.

They promised I'll be out of this IC unit in a couple of days and into a regular room without being hooked up to all this electronic stuff. It’s something I'm definitely looking forward to. Pretty soon I'll be able to see some of my friends again, the 'gang' for sure. I wonder what Gary, Danny, Nels and Sam have been up to. And Lanni!

Poor Lanni was looking forward to the homecoming dance. Maybe she hates me now! She probably won't even want to come visit.

Danny? I don’t know what to think about Danny. Why do I have this sinking feeling something’s not right with Danny? My brain feels like an old jigsaw puzzle where several pieces have been lost.

Jesus, I wish I could think clearly!

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 27
  • Sad 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Great chapter again, SD, but I'm getting mixed signals again. David is starting to think of Matty as a friend, reacting to what he beilieves is Twoey's body, and yet hasn't gotten rid of Kathy, and now he's making overtures to Lanni.
I have no idea what Tommy's mom thinks she'll find in David's room--he is somewhat clueless, but I don't think he's careless enough to let his secrets be found by physical evidence.
And why the hell doesn't someone tell her she can't cook worth a damn, or at least break the crock pot?!
More please, SD!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Lots of superlatives here, SD. Plenty of directions for the plot to go, and intriguing hints of David's future thinking. Finally, more Twoey, too. Afraid a little of what Matty might do to David - scare the crap out of him, possibly. Great move to date with Lanni. But the mysterious omniscient Sam is beginning to bother me......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/18/2015 09:05 PM, ColumbusGuy said:

Great chapter again, SD, but I'm getting mixed signals again. David is starting to think of Matty as a friend, reacting to what he beilieves is Twoey's body, and yet hasn't gotten rid of Kathy, and now he's making overtures to Lanni.

I have no idea what Tommy's mom thinks she'll find in David's room--he is somewhat clueless, but I don't think he's careless enough to let his secrets be found by physical evidence.

And why the hell doesn't someone tell her she can't cook worth a damn, or at least break the crock pot?!

More please, SD!

Thanks for reviewing CG, and for expressing your concerns, which are all actually valid. Even though he is our prime narrator, and often lets us in on his self-examinations, I'm getting hints we are getting an image of David he wants to believe, not one of who he really is. A few things don't seem consistent. Those relationship conflicts you mentioned, for sure. Doesn't it seem strange to you nobody else in the family finds the food atrocious?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/18/2015 11:20 PM, Parker Owens said:

Lots of superlatives here, SD. Plenty of directions for the plot to go, and intriguing hints of David's future thinking. Finally, more Twoey, too. Afraid a little of what Matty might do to David - scare the crap out of him, possibly. Great move to date with Lanni. But the mysterious omniscient Sam is beginning to bother me......

Thanks Parker! Good points too.

Of course we are privy to Matty's "goal" and David isn't. But, if anything, Matty seems careful. He knows this is only step 1, I'm pretty sure.

That WAS a pretty slick move, getting Lanni into his date. Somehow I don't thing it was intentional, consciously that it. For a guy who insists on always being in control, I'm beginning to feel David's subconscious mind is what's really in control ...and he is oblivious. As I mentioned to CG, maybe David needs re-evaluation. He might not be completely who we have been led to believe.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So, what you said to CG about Tommy's mother and the food, I thought about that, but then I just thought David was hell bent on hating it no matter what. Clearly, we or just me, are missing parts of what's really going on.. Hmm.. Need to pay attention.. In any event he looks like he is adopting Twoey's mom.. I wonder if she has an idea.
Good news, Twoey is on the mend!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/21/2015 04:26 PM, Defiance19 said:

So, what you said to CG about Tommy's mother and the food, I thought about that, but then I just thought David was hell bent on hating it no matter what. Clearly, we or just me, are missing parts of what's really going on.. Hmm.. Need to pay attention.. In any event he looks like he is adopting Twoey's mom.. I wonder if she has an idea.

Good news, Twoey is on the mend!

Thanks Defiance!

 

It's only natural to take the view of the prime narrator ...In any story, usually. We need to be a little more careful when things don't add up. Especially when we know he's got so much internal turmoil.

 

I think the adoption of Twoey's mom is clearly underway :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hmm, Skinny, your last line of your response to CG's review got me thinking. I guess I always assumed everyone but Tommy's mother found the food horrible and inedible. But maybe it is just David. Maybe since he's always pissed at Tommy's mother (and rightly so!), subconsciously he can't eat the food, and his mind just creates the impression that the food is always awful. Does that make sense? It's a little late, and my brain is fried. lol

 

And what the hell is Tommy's mother looking for in David's room anyway?

 

So now Kathy tells David she loves him. Who are the other boys she loves? haha Thank GOD David didn't say I love you back! Omg, I'm actually surprised he didn't. But now he's going to the movies with Kathy AND Lanni (and maybe Deena). Lanni kissed him at the dance. Will she try something there with Kathy watching? Will Kathy get jealous? Will LANNI get jealous? hehe Oh! I know!!! Kathy and Lanni should get together, and then David will be free from all girls! :rofl:

 

I'm worried about Twoey. Thank God he's feeling better, but I don't think he's going to handle the information about Danny very well. I wonder if that night will come back to him a little at a time, or all at once when he finds out about Danny.

 

Love his hate relationship with Burch! What's with that guy anyway? He's pretty creepy!

 

Oh, and why is it that David's sister and father don't talk to him at dinner? Even Tommy's mother. And you'd be sure that if any of my kids stopped talking to me, we'd be out that door headed to the shrink's office ASAP! What the hell is wrong with her that she's ok with her child not speaking to her?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/24/2015 02:36 PM, Lisa said:

Hmm, Skinny, your last line of your response to CG's review got me thinking. I guess I always assumed everyone but Tommy's mother found the food horrible and inedible. But maybe it is just David. Maybe since he's always pissed at Tommy's mother (and rightly so!), subconsciously he can't eat the food, and his mind just creates the impression that the food is always awful. Does that make sense? It's a little late, and my brain is fried. lol

 

And what the hell is Tommy's mother looking for in David's room anyway?

 

So now Kathy tells David she loves him. Who are the other boys she loves? haha Thank GOD David didn't say I love you back! Omg, I'm actually surprised he didn't. But now he's going to the movies with Kathy AND Lanni (and maybe Deena). Lanni kissed him at the dance. Will she try something there with Kathy watching? Will Kathy get jealous? Will LANNI get jealous? hehe Oh! I know!!! Kathy and Lanni should get together, and then David will be free from all girls! :rofl:

 

I'm worried about Twoey. Thank God he's feeling better, but I don't think he's going to handle the information about Danny very well. I wonder if that night will come back to him a little at a time, or all at once when he finds out about Danny.

 

Love his hate relationship with Burch! What's with that guy anyway? He's pretty creepy!

 

Oh, and why is it that David's sister and father don't talk to him at dinner? Even Tommy's mother. And you'd be sure that if any of my kids stopped talking to me, we'd be out that door headed to the shrink's office ASAP! What the hell is wrong with her that she's ok with her child not speaking to her?

Hey Lisa, thanks!

OMG are you sure you're not a shrink? ;)

 

David and his sister ...we'll hear that story a little later :)

 

David has every right to be creeped out by Burch.

 

It's amazing David stays with Kathy at all. It's really inexplicable on the surface. Once again I think maybe the kid who is 'always in control' is actually being guided by his subconscious mind. The mind which has access to all those little secrets David keeps locked from himself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

So Twoey really doesn't remember what happened to Danny. Not unexpected, nor uncommon, for events surrounding a severe head trauma to be erased. If Twoey is lucky his memories of that fateful day will never fully return. And since nobody else knows how he and Danny connected (not that way! Jeez) that afternoon, he may only have a vague idea that something happened there... Oh wait - Twoey did tell Ginny about Danny and him...
But I think Ginny ought to break Danny's death gently, and bring him up to date with whichever version has been given out to the public before he leaves the ICU and his friends are allowed to visit. How she handles the difference between what she knows about Twoey and Danny, and what has been publicly released will be interesting. Good thing she's a psychologist!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/08/2015 12:44 PM, jess30519 said:

So Twoey really doesn't remember what happened to Danny. Not unexpected, nor uncommon, for events surrounding a severe head trauma to be erased. If Twoey is lucky his memories of that fateful day will never fully return. And since nobody else knows how he and Danny connected (not that way! Jeez) that afternoon, he may only have a vague idea that something happened there... Oh wait - Twoey did tell Ginny about Danny and him...

But I think Ginny ought to break Danny's death gently, and bring him up to date with whichever version has been given out to the public before he leaves the ICU and his friends are allowed to visit. How she handles the difference between what she knows about Twoey and Danny, and what has been publicly released will be interesting. Good thing she's a psychologist!

Thanks for the comments Jess.

 

I think it's common for the lack of memory of a traumatic event, but it's usually temporary. We'll see if it starts returning, maybe in pieces.

 

The cover-up will be a problem. It'll never completely work, but after a month or so passes, it'll be old news...or so they hope. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great chapter!
So, Twoey doesn't remember what happened, not surprising. Just have to see how he reacts when he's told. I suppose he'll ask why Danny doesn't come to the hospital to visit him. That's bound to happen.
It's surprising how much David internalizes everything, trying to have a plan for a situation. Having been a parent, I suspect why his step-mother is going into his room, but he's not that kind of kid so he's safe. I kind of wish she would try to be a little nicer, but her religion is running her life and she can't see the trouble she's causing. I hope she doesn't try something too drastic. David doesn't deserve that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..