Jump to content
    skinnydragon
  • Author
  • 1,756 Words
  • 3,670 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

18 Weeks of Twoey - 41. Week Six Saturday, October 11, 2014: Out of ICU

I texted Gary: < no run today >

All my muscles burned and ached ...still. I told him about my finish. He texted back, gave me some shit (I expected some) and said he finished first in their race and the JV had won. Theirs was home against Livermore Central. Anyway, we're taking the morning off.

I hadn’t been keeping up my little weight chart. I weighed in this morning and it looks like I'm gaining a bit. I made sure to have a decent bowl of cereal. Maybe I’ll find something more substantial than last time when we’re all at Kory's tonight.

You know, I'm starting to worry about my upcoming visit with Twoey ...a lot. If I go tomorrow, I'll probably be there all day. I'm pretty sure there was contact under my meditation and his pain drugs. I'm almost certain. I don’t have any idea how it was possible, but there are too many coincidences between what he told his mom and what happened during my meditation. But I'm thinking Twoey can't be sure he wasn't simply dreaming under the knockout drops they gave him. I don't want to lie to him, but I think it would be better if he thought it was a hallucination. I mean, I told him I loved him ...Jeez.

Now if he thinks I'm in love with him, since he’s gay, he's gotta think I'm gay! Right? I can't deny I'm attracted to him. I mean, SHIT, from the first minute I saw him!! But can I be attracted to him and even admit I love him, whatever that means, and still not be gay? Which I'm not!

It’s an interesting question, isn’t it? I'm gonna have to do some research on it when I get a chance.

What I do know is I can't let myself be gay. I've explained it to you before. Carefully. In detail! ...I hope you were paying attention!

I am in complete control of me.

I always have been and I always will be.

It’s who I am. It’s how I live.

You can forget about saying some things are destined to happen to me. I can't live like that, and I won't. I'm smart. I'm too smart to live out of control.

I'm a little concerned about my visit tomorrow. Twoey can't talk. If I don't talk he can't probe me about our meetings while he was under the drug. I can't let him write either, or he'll ask questions. I don't know how I can stop him from writing, but I've gotta try. Even if I can't, I'll hafta be careful how I word my answers. Can I maybe talk about other stuff so much he'll forget the question he wrote?

No ...stupid! He'll have it right there on the pad in front of him! Well, he can't ask complex questions on his little pad anyway. Maybe he’s too fragile to even think clearly. I really don’t know what shape he’s in. I mean, he was nearly dead a couple weeks ago. Maybe he won’t even recognize me ...yeah sure!

I know! I'll meditate in the morning and come up with a better plan. This conversation has to be only about his schoolwork and his healing. I can't ever be tripped into his having been shot! Ginny told me he can't remember anything about that day and doesn't know the cause of his injury or even what it is.

But then, I realized, this could be trouble! He might think he can use me in us-against-them to get the info from me. I'm gonna have to cover a lot of territory without leaking anything. And when he does get his memory back, he can never ever know I know exactly what happened that night. NOT. EVER.

Crap. I better probably think about this a little more.

Before I showered and got ready for my triple header date, I received a surprise phone call from Grampa. It’s not too unusual to talk to Grampa, but it’s always ME doing the calling. Shamefully to say, I'm usually asking for more money.

This time HE called and asked how I was doing. At first, I thought he was using a figure of speech, part of the greeting. It soon became clear he wanted to know how I was DOING. Like my mental condition! He explained he had heard about the accident and my friend Danny’s death. He understood how difficult it was for me. He told me to never forget he loves me. Then he said the strangest thing.

“David my boy, if you ever think things are becoming too much for you up there, call me. We can talk and, if it’s really too much, I’ll fly you down here. Don’t ever forget your Grampa is here for you all the time!”

After the call, I started thinking. Of course! Someone told him about the psychologist. He never talks to Tommy’s mother (him either ...hehe), so it had to be my father, his son, who told him.

You know what? They were preparing him. Shit! They were preparing him for sending me away to an institution, or worse, maybe some program Enos Johnson has his slippery fingers in.

Grampa’s smart too. He’s way too smart for them! He was telling me in code that I can escape to the City and he’ll protect me from them. I already loved my Grampa as much as I possibly could, but now I love him more. I immediately Googled and printed bus and plane schedules to get me to New York. I might need those schedules in a flash, if I have to flee for my life. I feel safer already! I like to be prepared.

Speaking of preparation, it was time to get ready for my date.

I picked up Kathy at about 6. We walked over to Kory's and being the first ones there, we got the booth. As we were about to sit down, in walked Lanni and Deena. When they came over, I gave them each a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I made sure to whisper, “Hey Deena ...I'm sooo glad you could come tonight.”

A little politicking can never hurt when it comes to Deena!

Lanni and Deena had their usual burger and fries. Kathy ordered a chicken sandwich and fries. I ordered a chicken sandwich with a bowl of soup. While we were waiting, I brought them up to date on Twoey's condition and told them he’d be out of ICU by Tomorrow, and his mother was going to let me go and spend the entire day with him. I got Lanni's number and promised to text her while I was there. She could virtually talk to him, with me as the intermediary.

“Be sure you don't say anything to embarrass me!” I joked. Everybody laughed.

When our meals came, Deena was watching me carefully. I said, “Hey look, I'm eating the roll too ...see!”

She laughed but said, “You don't eat enough! How can you run? And run so well? You beat everybody on varsity, but one. And it was your first race!” Lanni bobbed her head in agreement. Kathy seemed uninterested. I can’t believe Deena pays attention to XCountry results!

I said, “You two are ganging up on me? Not fair!”

The whole evening was like that. They were picking on me in a light, joking way and I was crying conspiracy. It was a fun night, including the movies. I think Deena is starting to accept me as a human being. I’m elated. With the other girls present, there was no intimate contact with the girl I’m allegedly going with.

Anyway, she got in some kisses when I walked her home. I tried to make them meaningful.

Honestly, I tried.

I failed, but I tried.

Returning home at about 11:00, Tommy was waiting for me. He said, “Mrs. Messer called. She’s pickin’ you up at 10:30 tomorrow. Sooo ...How ya gonna get outta church?”

“Don't worry Tommy, I have a plan.”

Twoey

At about 4:30 AM I woke up having to take a dump. I rolled into the bathroom and had a 'soft' dump. But it was a dump. It means I can blow this dump ...hehe. I thought I might not flush, you know, to prove it. Thank goodness a nurse came into my room and asked if I was OK. She was very happy I was in the bathroom. I flushed and, when I rolled out, indicated 2 fingers for #2. I felt like a little 5 year old, but anything to get me outta here.

The rest of the morning involved visits from doctors, nurses and technicians. My head brace was replaced with something looking like ace bandages and a plastic frame. But it keeps my head at the right angle no matter if I'm lying down or sitting up and even allows me to turn by shoulders, which the old frame wouldn't. I'll only have to wear it for about two weeks, they say. They even expect me to go home in two weeks, if everything continues to heal the way it's going. I should be able to speak by then, but they said it would hurt if I overdid it.

Mom was here most of the day. I wrote: “phone” on my pad.

“You can't have it yet.”

I wrote: “why”

“You have to trust me, it’s better this way.”

I started to write: “laptop”

“No electronic devices. Period.”

She put me in a frowny mood. I mean, why not? It doesn't make sense. I can't think of a single reason. It's like she's keeping me in prison, allowing no contact with my friends.

But she instantly lifted all my angst by telling me David was going to arrive with her tomorrow morning and spend the whole day with me! My frown turned into a big broad smile. Soon some nurses came in and began the room move.

Within about half an hour I was in a private room with my own TV! They brought in my supper, which was soup containing small pasta and some pureed vegetables too. My food was starting to harden up. I was sure everything else would too, especially if David was going to be with me all day! ...Haha. Seriously though, I haven’t had a boner since I’ve been in here.

I wonder if it’s the drugs they pump into me.

Copyright © 2016 skinnydragon; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 29
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh David.. Denial won't make those feelings go away, but I'm going to just guess David has some form of OCD. That's why running works for him, it's disciplined. Suddenly having an attraction to a boy throws a wrench in his plans. I could be wrong, but this need to order every part of his life is insane, and is compulsive. He broke down how everything should play out, even according to the actions of those around him. Nah, that's a bit much. He definitely needs to be talking to a psych and fast before he crumbles.
Kathy, really. She's so not interested. Or maybe she's picking up on David and acting accordingly. But David's going to keep her. He's not gay, and he's certainly not thinking he might be bi. Lanni for now is a dream because of Twoey.. This is so messed up!
At least Twoey is in a new room, and things are going ok for now. Still anticipating the visit..

 

Great at job as usual SkinnyD... Thank you.. Have a great Thanksgiving!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter. David in confusion and indecision and denial; Twoey in anticipation, and the grandfather offstage beckoning. I smell a lot besides then Thanksgiving turkey. All great stuff. Happy, happy thanksgiving. Thank you!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Parker and Def hit it on the head, so not much I can add to that.
I really hope David's parents don't send him to some sort of 'camp' to be cured...but it's exactly what I can see Tommy's mom doing. Looks like she's lining up witnesses in Burch and Pastor Dick to make it happen
Is OCD the reason David denies his true fellings? I hadn't thought of that, though I knew he was obsessed with controlling his life...I had put the denial down to normal teen reaction. Hmm, interesting thought.
Actually, I'm NOT looking forward to the meeting Sunday...David is so resolved to lie and cover up that I'm fairly sure Twoey will sense it, and that will set him back emotionally. Twoey is already fragile with his mother's refusal to allow any information about what happened to reac hhim, if David does as planned, it could get very bad. I think seeing David will bring that connection back for him, but then it will be dashed when he acts like a complete jerk.
More please!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Poor David. I personally know how awful it is to over think every single thing. So glad he has his Grampa to rely on. It does make me interested in David's father though; he seems very uninvolved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/26/2015 12:28 AM, Defiance19 said:

Oh David.. Denial won't make those feelings go away, but I'm going to just guess David has some form of OCD. That's why running works for him, it's disciplined. Suddenly having an attraction to a boy throws a wrench in his plans. I could be wrong, but this need to order every part of his life is insane, and is compulsive. He broke down how everything should play out, even according to the actions of those around him. Nah, that's a bit much. He definitely needs to be talking to a psych and fast before he crumbles.

Kathy, really. She's so not interested. Or maybe she's picking up on David and acting accordingly. But David's going to keep her. He's not gay, and he's certainly not thinking he might be bi. Lanni for now is a dream because of Twoey.. This is so messed up!

At least Twoey is in a new room, and things are going ok for now. Still anticipating the visit..

 

Great at job as usual SkinnyD... Thank you.. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Thanks Defiance!

I think you're right about David's mind. It has to be something like that. I think I mentioned a few chapters ago we were only getting David's POV, and shouldn't assume it was accurate. He has a powerful force pushing him. Call it his subconscious or any of the alphabet conditions we like to assign, SOMETHING is directing his actions. It's all consistent to him, but certainly questionable to us. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/26/2015 12:46 AM, Parker Owens said:

Great chapter. David in confusion and indecision and denial; Twoey in anticipation, and the grandfather offstage beckoning. I smell a lot besides then Thanksgiving turkey. All great stuff. Happy, happy thanksgiving. Thank you!

Thanks Parker!

How many Thanksgivings do you get?

Yeah, maybe the turkey is going to come home to roost when the boys are finally face to face ...hehe!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/26/2015 01:33 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

Parker and Def hit it on the head, so not much I can add to that.

I really hope David's parents don't send him to some sort of 'camp' to be cured...but it's exactly what I can see Tommy's mom doing. Looks like she's lining up witnesses in Burch and Pastor Dick to make it happen

Is OCD the reason David denies his true fellings? I hadn't thought of that, though I knew he was obsessed with controlling his life...I had put the denial down to normal teen reaction. Hmm, interesting thought.

Actually, I'm NOT looking forward to the meeting Sunday...David is so resolved to lie and cover up that I'm fairly sure Twoey will sense it, and that will set him back emotionally. Twoey is already fragile with his mother's refusal to allow any information about what happened to reac hhim, if David does as planned, it could get very bad. I think seeing David will bring that connection back for him, but then it will be dashed when he acts like a complete jerk.

More please!

Hey CG! Thanks for the review.

 

I don't think we can predict what that meeting will bring. It might go as you fear, or it might be surprising to our 'always in control' boy. What would he do if he were suddenly 'out of control'? That could be interesting.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/26/2015 01:55 AM, mitchelll said:

Poor David. I personally know how awful it is to over think every single thing. So glad he has his Grampa to rely on. It does make me interested in David's father though; he seems very uninvolved.

Thanks mitchelll !

 

You're right. He does tend to overthink a tad, doesn't he? ;)

 

Sometimes doing it causes more problems that one wants, because one's 'defensive' maneuvers can be misread by others.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Oh no, the shit's gonna hit the fan now that Twoey has access to a TV. Unless he's been in there for so long that what happened isn't news anymore. He's going to find out in the worst way possible. I bet he finds out before David gets there, and he'll 'demand' (well, in writing!) that David tell him the truth. That's not gonna go well at all.

 

I was very impressed with Defiance's review. I hadn't really thought of David having OCD, but now that I think about it, it would make perfect sense. He needs order and control in his life, and he has to be totally in control at all times.

 

Another excellent chapter, Skinny! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/29/2015 01:31 PM, Lisa said:

Oh no, the shit's gonna hit the fan now that Twoey has access to a TV. Unless he's been in there for so long that what happened isn't news anymore. He's going to find out in the worst way possible. I bet he finds out before David gets there, and he'll 'demand' (well, in writing!) that David tell him the truth. That's not gonna go well at all.

 

I was very impressed with Defiance's review. I hadn't really thought of David having OCD, but now that I think about it, it would make perfect sense. He needs order and control in his life, and he has to be totally in control at all times.

 

Another excellent chapter, Skinny! :)

Thanks Lisa.

I guess the TV angle is a possibility, unless certain channels have been blocked. Probably your other argument is more likely. A several week old fabricated 'accident' is not any kind of news. They'd focus on the dad anyway, who is not known to Twoey.

 

The biggest trouble is more likely Twoey/David in nature, especially if Defiance's conjecture is even partially correct. The visit looms as packed with unintended consequences :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment

David may have a mild form of OCD, but as far as we know he doesn't show many of the classic symptoms, like constantly checking and re-checking if he closed his locker properly or lining up all the objects on his desk. An OCD person wouldn't just suspect that someone might have been in his room, he would know for certain with just one glance! True, he is very picky about the food he eats, but IMO that's just a healthy reaction to the crap that Tommy's mother cooks up!
David's biggest problem is that he overthinks things, sometimes to an extreme where he's inventing really improbably scenarios that he might have to deal with. But I had more than a few friends in high school who did the same thing. Still, David might be taking it a bit too far in this chapter!
SkinnyD, you've got me thinking about David and Twoey while I'm supposed to be working! Okay, I might have spared a thought or two for Matty and Martin... ;-) But with each chapter these characters are turning into real people that I feel I ought to be concerned about! Well done! And thanks for writing and sharing!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2015 09:44 AM, jess30519 said:

David may have a mild form of OCD, but as far as we know he doesn't show many of the classic symptoms, like constantly checking and re-checking if he closed his locker properly or lining up all the objects on his desk. An OCD person wouldn't just suspect that someone might have been in his room, he would know for certain with just one glance! True, he is very picky about the food he eats, but IMO that's just a healthy reaction to the crap that Tommy's mother cooks up!

David's biggest problem is that he overthinks things, sometimes to an extreme where he's inventing really improbably scenarios that he might have to deal with. But I had more than a few friends in high school who did the same thing. Still, David might be taking it a bit too far in this chapter!

SkinnyD, you've got me thinking about David and Twoey while I'm supposed to be working! Okay, I might have spared a thought or two for Matty and Martin... ;-) But with each chapter these characters are turning into real people that I feel I ought to be concerned about! Well done! And thanks for writing and sharing!

Thanks for your kind words jess!

 

Aw ...I hope the boys aren't interfering with your work! You raise an interesting point about his room. I don't want to give anything away, of course, but stay tuned.

 

Maybe David should become an author. He generates a lot of plots, doesn't he. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..