Jump to content
    Solus Magus
  • Author
  • 3,733 Words
  • 1,787 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Mentally - 8. Anna Festus

My chest pounded. The sound of Damian’s name pushed my mind to the edge. My fingers started to shake that I had to put them in my pockets. The woman’s eyes were so alluring. Trying to see how I would react. And she knew that I wasn’t taking it too well. Plus the way she said it was so casual. As if she dropped the bomb on purpose.

“Damian?” I asked. The way Anna looked was she was trying not to burst in laughter. She looked at me as if I was the punchline of a joke. Aiden wanted to butt in. His lips were on the verge of speaking. But the situation suddenly got intense. “Damian Davis?”

“Yeah. That cute kid. Dark hair. Gray eyes. A demanding personality. A bit similar with how bold Aiden is.” Anna replied. She was playing some sort of trick on me. “That boy spoke highly of you. I think one would say that you rocked his world. So why are you so pale?”

“Where is he?” I demanded. Almost in a growl. My hands were on the verge of strangling her. But Anna was no ordinary woman. She was one of the Operations Manager of Helix Corp. And we needed her to find our friends. “Where is Damian?”

“I’m not so sure.” She replied. A waiter passed by she took a glass of wine from him. Anna took a sip. Aiden and I just stared at her. We both knew we had to be careful with we say. Otherwise, it would sabotage our whole plan. “That was just a couple of days ago. He was with his father and they were checking out the latest projects we are working on. If there is one thing I could say about him, he’s pretty interesting.”
“Two days ago?” I almost shrieked. My heart pounded fast. Excitement was all over my face and the pale color from a while ago was flushed away. “Then that means he’s nearby. Is he still here in Washington?”

“I’m afraid I couldn’t give you that answer.” She apologized. Anna Festus was not only a good geneticist but a good actress as well. Her cards were being played right. And we were dancing in the middle of her palms. “I don’t really have strong connections with his dad. Who is he to you anyway?”

“He is a close friend of ours.” Aiden suddenly butted in. Then he put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. “It would be really nice if we are able to at least talk to him. We haven’t been able to talk to him for quite some time.”

“A friend, huh?” Anna wondered. “He seemed to be a little too young for the both of you. But who am I to judge?”

“What do you mean a little too young?” I asked. Aiden frowned at her. However, the woman was just so relaxed. And I hated it. I’m so frustrated at her guts. I wanted to use my abilities. But for some reason, I had no hold over it. “Damian is older than me by a couple of months.”

“Really?” Anna raised her eyebrow. A sly smile was on her face. “But again, I’m afraid I can’t give you his whereabouts. He is the son of a Colonel. Even if I knew, I am not allowed to tell you his locations for protective measures. I hope you understand, Kieran. It would be our best interest if he’s well protected.”

“Please, I need to know.” I pleaded. But Anna was unmoved. Aiden became stoic. And I almost dropped on my knees from desperation. “I need to know where he is.”

“I’m sorry, Kieran. I really am.” Anna displayed a warm face. I looked so pitiful in that very instant but Damian could have just been around the corner. He felt so close and yet so far. But Anna was keeping him away on a whim. “Sadly, I don’t want to break laws. The revision of the Privacy Program of the US Military obliges me to follow. And if you haven’t notice, I am running a pretty huge part of Helix Corp so I don’t really want anyone to be able to file a case against me.”

My lips quivered at her flawless statement. She was good. Actually, she was beyond great at what she does. And we weren’t even able to get a glimpse or a clue. Anna Festus knew her rights and she wasn’t about to incriminate herself anytime soon.

“I was really hoping you could help.” Aiden muttered. His voice was cold but the woman didn’t really budge. Her demeanor was so solid. A warm and approachable face was what she showed us. But an undeterred conviction was what lies inside of her. “That’s why I took Kieran on a trip. I think it would be fair if he would be able to talk to Damian.”

“Don’t get me started, Aiden.” She replied strictly. A cold voice suddenly came out of her. And I was shaken to the core. It was as if this seemingly caring woman suddenly turned into a ruthless killer out of nowhere. “You said that Damian was your friend too. But you moved to Chicago only recently so there was no way you would be able to be that close with that boy soon.”

“How did you know?” Aiden snapped. “No one was supposed to know my whereabouts. Not even my father. I know we are on good terms Ms. Anna, but it would be best if you quit stalking me.”

“You have been careless lately.” She muttered. The conversation suddenly shifted between the two of them. It became uncomfortably dense in our area. Meanwhile, everyone else was so fixed in upon their own discussions. They didn’t even notice that things were heating up. “Plus, your father specifically ordered me to watch out for you. I even had to cover for you from your encounter yesterday with another syndicate group.”

Aiden went pale. “Who were they?”

“They are a triad of syndicates based on our intel. Three groups are targeting key persons in the society. And you’re on their list since you are the heir to Helix Corp. So you better watch your back. That’s why I’m here to make sure you’re not tracked.” Anna explained. I was simply in awe of what she could do. “It was a good thing that Kieran over here was able to brainwash the survivor of your attackers last night. The guy led them away from your actual location. Although they have already labeled him as a traitor so they already had decided to dispose of him.”

“Wait, how did you figure that out?” I demanded. “No one was there except me. Brian and Aiden were in the car when I brainwashed him.”

“One, I only assumed it. Based on your reaction, it seems you do have the capability of doing some sort of brainwashing technique on a person. My hypothesis is correct. And to begin with, my educated assumption is based on how the conversation has been going. Two, I have spies among the syndicate group that’s why I am rich with intel. The Triad is a troublesome group but they mostly operate here in the States.” She explain. Aiden and I were just so shocked at her revelations. As if she was just dropping down appetizers. And I could feel she had more information to offer aside from the Triad. “I have three spies in Corinth. Two in Ephesus. And four in Galatia. They are indeed a troublesome group.”

Aiden and I were speechless.

“Oh, could you see the frightened look on your cute faces? I’m keeping an eye on you from now on, Kieran.” I gulped when I heard her say that. Aiden was right. Anna Festus was a very dangerous woman. She was well informed. And she’s not afraid to use it and take advantage of others. “You’re no ordinary Mental. It’s a shame that you still have no idea of your true potential.”

“And Jaden?” The boy beside me suddenly asked. “Where is my brother?”

“Why are you still not over it?” Anna asked. But I was just confused. Aiden was unfazed with Anna asked him. “Jaden is dead. As painful as it may sound, honey. You have to find a way how to come into terms with it. We have therapists that would be able to help you.”

“You’re lying!” Aiden gritted his teeth. “Jaden is alive. And I know it. I’m sure of it!”

“Now you’re just being delusional.” Anna muttered. Then she approached him as if she was about to embrace Aiden. But he stepped back and stared at her with utmost hatred. “Come to me. I just wanted to hug you. It seems that the pain is unbearable. But that’s why I am here. So please, Aiden. You’re like a nephew to me.”

“No.” Aiden snapped. “I can’t believe it. I thought you could help me. But you’re just like my father.”

“I’m nothing like your old man.” Anna smiled. “I’m more caring. And more loving. Your father is so hell-bent with protecting the peace between humanity and Mentals that he doesn’t know how to love his own son anymore.”

“And you think you’re better than him?” Aiden asked. His fists were clenched and his eyes were drilling holes on Ms. Anna. Meanwhile, I was just so dumbfounded on what was being revealed before me.

“No. Of course not. Johan Christensen is a brilliant man.” She bellowed. Anna suddenly made a slight smug. “I don’t think I could ever beat what he did for the world. To become a bridge for two species. All achieved by one man. But that’s about to change.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“That would be a top secret information, my dear Kieran.” She sneered. Anna sipped again from her wine. The woman was giving away something important. But she wouldn’t say anything else beyond it. “Don’t you think it would be better when the new species would finally make a public appearance?”

“A new species?” Aiden frowned. Our eyes widened at the sudden revelation. But the woman was so amused with how she was able to bait us out of our own battlefield.

“Well, I wouldn’t really like to give away precious spoilers now, would I?” Anna replied. And her being a smug was no help at all. “Just watch out for them. That’s all I will say. And watch out for your backs too. Especially you, Aiden. But I don’t think you should be moving out of Chicago anytime soon. It’s the safest place to be based on what my spies have told me.”

Anna took another sip of wine. But Aiden was not contented. Not a single bit. “What should I then?”

“Oh I don’t know, Aiden.” She replied. “It would be best if you keep yourself low for now. Your dad wouldn’t really be happy about it if you suddenly get in the way of his plans. In the right time, he will let you tag along and you’ll be exposed to what he usually deals with. It’s an ugly world out there. But you have to learn how to wait.”

Suddenly, the speakers boomed with an enthusiastic voice. “Good evening everyone. Before we proceed with the agenda of this night’s banquet, we would like all of you to hear out the opening remarks of none other than our lead geneticist, Dr. Anna Festus!”

“Oh, there’s my cue.” Suddenly, a bright light was flashed on her. The crowd applauded and she just winked at us before she walked away. “I’ll catch you cute boys later.”

Then suddenly, Aiden was gone beside me. When I looked for him, I caught him on his way out of the lobby. So I had no other choice but to follow him. With the way he walked, he was so urgent in moving out of the doors.

“Hey, wait up!” I exclaimed. Aiden on the other hand went inside the bathroom.

When I caught up to him, I pulled him and made him face me. Then I dragged him upwards on his collars. “What the hell happened Aiden? I thought you were supposed to cast an illusion on her.”

But then I realized that tears were flowing down on his face. His face was emotionless and he was just stared at me blankly. Because of it, I softened my grip on him. Aiden slapped my hands away from his neck.

“There was an Eraser around. Either that or she’s an Eraser herself.” He explained. Aiden didn’t make an effort to wipe his tears off his face. I just raised my brows communicate that I have no idea what he was talking about. “An Eraser is a Mental with high capabilities that is able to send disruptive patterns on the required thought process we use to access our abilities. But they need focus on the person so the target needs to be within their line of sight.”

I wanted to ask more. I needed to know more. But seeing the look on Aiden’s face, he was somehow hurt by the encounter with Anna Festus. At the end of the day, he was just a young boy who was learning to deal with issues.

“Is it true?” I asked. “Is it true that Jaden is dead?”

“No.” He stated. His lips quivered at the thought of his brother. “I knew he was taken captive by our very own company. But they covered it up as a freak accident. That he was killed in a car crash. And I wouldn’t buy it.”

“Why wouldn’t you?” I asked again. “On what grounds do you believe that he is alive?”

“I saw a file on my father’s table.” He said stoically. As if he was unconsciously saying it. Aiden was obviously not himself at the moment. The boy was so vulnerable. I could ask all the info I wanted to know about him. And I was too tempted to take advantage. “It was Jaden’s file and I saw that he was about to undergo a series of experimentation processes. The document was already signed by my father and it seemed that he was more than willing to experiment on his son. His very own son!”

I gritted my teeth when I heard that. “So he wasn’t as heroic as everyone thinks he is.”

“He’s not heroic at all.” Aiden muttered with a disgusted tone. Then suddenly, he hugged me close and buried his face on my neck. He wrapped his arms around my waist. I could feel him shaking in anguish. I could feel his tears on my neck. I could feel his heart crying out for help. “Sorry, I didn’t mean for you to see me being like this. Let’s go back to the hotel and take some rest. We’ll go back to Chicago in the morning.”

“What about Mr. Seijiro?” I asked. “He was our primary target in the first place.”

“I’m not really in a good condition to talk to another mastermind like Anna.” He admitted. With the way he looked at me, it seemed as if he was about to collapse any second. Aiden was beyond spent for the day. And I wasn’t about to push him any further. “We could reschedule a meeting with him. Besides, we need to think of how to find those damn Erasers and think of a way to get around their abilities.”

“Is he similar to Anna in that sense?” I asked out of curiosity. Aiden wiped his tears off and he seemed bothered by the fact that teared up in front of me. He was thinking hard of what to think about Saito Seijiro but I wasn’t really convinced that he would also be that bad. “You seemed confident that we would be able to pin down that man. However, if there is an Eraser nearby him that would be protecting the guy then we wouldn’t be able to use our abilities on him.”

“No.” Aiden simply muttered. “I think Anna is the Eraser herself. She was able to surprise us with Damian’s name and throw us into confusion. That was the moment she used to block our thought processes so we can’t use our abilities.”

“And how on earth did you figure that out?” I inquired. It was actually surprising that he was able to figure it out this fast. Aiden was indeed a dangerous person with observant skills. He may be young, but he had a lot of experiences under his sleeves. “So you mean we got confused that’s why we lost our abilities?”

“Sort of.” He stated. Then went for the door. “Let’s go before someone hears us.”

As much as I wanted to know more and ask, I was obliged to follow his lead. When we got out of the building, Felix was waiting outside the car. Aiden nodded his head and we all got inside. The bodyguard stepped on the pedal and took us out of the vicinity.

“So regarding Anna, what did she do to us?” I started asking.

“It was a mix of hypnosis and Neuro-Linguistic Programming. They are both a set of skills that can be used by anyone to take over the consciousness of a person. It takes years of practice but if a Mental would use it, then it would be a very formidable tool.” Aiden explained in a matter-of-factly way. Meanwhile, I just listened so I would be able to know more about the dangers of our encounter with the woman in red. “We usually have the tenacity to resist those kinds of tactics but if she was indeed an Eraser herself then we would be helpless. However, I don’t think she’s a powerful Mental. Anna Festus just used sly tactics and took advantage of our weaknesses. That’s why she’s a dangerous person.”

“So what’s your plan now to extract information from them?” I pressed on. “If this Mr. Saito is as dangerous as Ms. Anna then we would have to find another candidate we could take over. We could be caught if we are too careless. I don’t think it’s a situation that you would let happen easily.”

“Of course I know that. I’ll leave a message to Mr. Saito that we would want to meet him tomorrow morning. That guy knows how to give respect. And I don’t think he would want to piss the son of the CEO he is working for. We could at least look for clues from there.” Aiden suggested. “And don’t lecture me on carelessness. The way you interrogated Sergeant Snyder in the cafe was beyond sloppy. So I won’t be surprised if the US Military would be hot on our trail.”

“Hey. You’re the one who’s as careless as me.” I complained. “Anna Festus knew what happened with our encounter with the Triad. And she even cleaned our mess for us!”

“Shut it!” Aiden snapped at me. “We’re both tired and spent. Let’s take a rest back at the hotel then we’ll talk further about it tomorrow.”

“You’re right.” I admitted. “But speaking of which, what about Ms. Anna? She might give Mr. Saito a hint on what we’re up to.”

“First of all, those two are like oil and water. They never get along. Anna Festus is an elegant and professional woman. But Saito Seijiro can be a little...eccentric.” Aiden explain, holding one finger up. Then he added another. “Second, Anna doesn’t like sharing information with other people and wouldn’t budge that easily. She loves hoarding them and that’s one of her weakness. Whatever information she would obtain, she would keep it to herself. It makes her feel a little more powerful despite the fact that she always tell people that we are all equals.”

“What a hypocrite.” I commented. Aiden just shook his head and smiled in agreement.

The car stopped in front of the hotel and we got out. As we waited for the elevator, Aiden and us were just silent. It was around 9 in the evening already and we didn’t even get to eat in the banquet we attended. I already removed my coat and hung it on my shoulders.

There were other people with us who were waiting. One of them was a guy with auburn hair and blue eyes. His age was probably within our range. He seemed to be looking at me so I kept my eyes away before it got awkward. Aiden didn’t care. But the guy eventually winked at me and I felt offended with the way he was flirting at me. If he was flirting with me at all. The good thing was that our elevator arrived and we got away.

When we got in the room, it was still dark. But as soon as we got in, there were people inside with us. A man in a suit was sitting on one of the beds and was observing us from a distance. The light suddenly opened and i counted three people inside. One was sitting on the bed. Another was leaning against the wall beside the bathroom door. And another right beside us with two handguns pointed at us. Both of it was equipped with suppressors to make sure that the gunfire won’t be heard. I wanted to use my ability but was utterly helpless. Aiden was calm but he was frozen in place as well.

“What did you do to us?” I exclaimed.

“So you think that Dr. Anna Festus is an Eraser, huh?” The man sitting on the bed asked. “Well, you haven’t met that guy on the wall yet. Because he’s the reason why Erasers exist in the first place. He’s the one and only original and the rest of the Erasers around the world just learned from the guy.”

“So who are you guys?” Aiden asked. “You’re not from the Triad are you?”

“Oh no. We’re nothing like those guys. And sorry for not introducing myself. That’s really rude of me.” He said monotonously. The guy sounded like he was bored to death. Even though it was night time, he was wearing shades. “I’m not allowed to say my real name but you can call me Genesis. We’re from an organization called SIGMA. Also known as the Secret Intelligence and Global Military Alliance.”

Copyright © 2017 Solus Magus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
  • Wow 5
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

2 hours ago, centexhairysub said:

At this point, I am not sure that Aiden is really fully sane and I trust no one that we have been introduced to recently...

It's chaotic when all the cards are yet to be revealed. 

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..