Jump to content
    Superpride
  • Author
  • 4,005 Words
  • 1,382 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Charming: Part I - 13. Chapter Thirteen

“So, the first part of the plan is to find the Snow Queen’s palace by using a watch that will slow down when you get close to the precise location. Then what?” Cindi asked at her desk.

“Actually, that is all we came up with.” Lucky rubbed the back of his neck and chuckled. “I was hoping you had some ideas on how to further approach the situation.”

Moving a strand of blond hair behind her ear, Cindi opened a drawer at her desk with a key and began rummaging in it. “Well, I will tell you that going to the palace empty-handed and without an strategy is strongly unadvisable. The Snow Queen will have guards made of snow bees that will most likely confront all of you once you enter her territory. And they can’t just be defeated with a gun, or even your sword, Lucky…but I think I have this solution that might help.”

“And what might that be?” Zev asked as he leaned forward in his chair.

Cindi took out a small vase from the drawer. “It’s this.” Opening the vase and tilting it slightly forward, Lucky saw black ash inside.

“Is that…?”

“Yes. It’s the ashes of my mother, my mother who helped me go to the ball and find your brother who later became my own Prince Charming. It has magical properties like Cheri’s rose oil, and it might help you defeat the Snow Queen’s guards since normal ash can melt snow. I recommend that you use it on your sword, as a sort of polish. You’re very tech-savvy, Lucky, so I’m sure you know how to do that. Unfortunately, the only other thing I can recommend is to bundle up since I heard the Snow Queen’s palace is below freezing temperatures.” Cindi handed Lucky the small vase which he held with care.

“That’ll work just fine. Thank you, Cindi,” Lucky said.

“Well, we better head out then,” Zev advised as he stood up from his chair.

“Lucky? Do you mind if I talk to you?” Cindi asked as she stood up from her desk chair. “It’ll only be for a minute.”

“Oh, sure.”

Zev walked out of the office, looking behind him before closing the door, and Cindi walked to Lucky with a small smile on her face. “So…you and Zev, huh? Never thought that would happen.”

Lucky’s eyes widened. “How do you know?”

Giggling, Cindi said, “Just the way Zev’s glance at you every other second pretty much signaled to me that the two of you are more than just acquaintances. Much more.”

Lucky smiled shyly and shrugged. “Let’s just that Zev was many firsts for me.”

Concern then furrowed Cindi’s youthful face, and she said, “Just be careful, Lucky. Your father will not appreciate that you decided to have a fling with Zev. Even though I can tell that Zev is much more than the pack members who sell drugs and commit other crimes in the city, he’s still a wolf, a wolf who can threaten the balance of power in the Charming lineage in your father’s eyes.”

Lucky sighed. “I know, and the worst part is…I don’t think it’s just a fling. My feelings for him are already going beyond what is acceptable after a one-night stand…and I think it all started from the imprint he left on me.”

“Wait. He imprinted himself onto you?” Cindi asked immediately with a hand on Lucky’s shoulder.

Nodding, Lucky asked, “Is that something I should be concerned about?”

“You do know that when someone is imprinted by a wolf, that is basically like putting a ring on person’s finger?”

“Yeah, I got the gist of it when he told me himself. He did it because he said that was the only way to save me after I was struck by that car,” Lucky explained.

“Well, that is partly true. However, the whole truth is that you’ve inherited some of Zev’s abilities, like healing which most likely helped save your life. It kind of makes you part wolf…and you do know that the original purpose of the Charming order was to hunt creatures like wolves by using a charm made of silver that helped defeat the ones that terrorized small towns and villages back in the old times in Europe?”

“I know that.” Lucky scratched his head in sudden frustration. “And I know that father is all about tradition, even though the Charming order has become more of a corporation, using princes of the Charming title as military contractors who recruit people into fighting against the evils of the world like witches and wolves. But things have changed, not always for the better, but still.”

Crossing her arms and sighing, Cindi said, “I just want you to know the reality of the situation, Lucky. This could be considered an act of treason, causing you to be stripped of the Charming title. Your father will not appreciate that at all since your brothers have both given up the title up to you. You’re his last hope of continuing the title and the family name, and you involving yourself with a wolf is…”

“I understand, Cindi. Being with Zev will most likely cause my father to disown me, maybe even label me as a traitor to the Charming order. But, quite frankly, I don’t really care anymore to live up to my father’s expectations. I don’t even remember if any of my recent accomplishments have ever impressed him since he never expressed any gratitude or appreciation for what I did. I’d much rather lose all my fame and wealth if that meant I can be happy, especially with someone who I care about and who cares about me... For now, I just want focus on finding the Snow Queen and getting that piece of the mirror that I need to finally defeat Lilith. Maybe then I can impress my father into thinking that I’m worthy of being his son.”

Cindi simply and wrapped her arms around Lucky who hugged back. “Just stay safe, okay? And if you need any help, you know who to call.”

“I will, Cindi, and thank you for your help.”

After saying goodbye to Cindi, Lucky left her agency and went outside onto the street that was bustling with beeping cars and passing pedestrians in their lunch break. Lucky spotted Zev leaning his hip against his car; he was looking at Cecil and Violet who were at a food cart not too far away and licking at their ice cream cones. The day was humid, but it did not comparable to the way that Zev was positioned next to his car, like he was modeling for a fashion magazine. No way was he going to give up Zev just because his father would disapprove, at least not so easily.

“Are you ready, Lucky?” Zev asked as he twirled his car keys around her finger.

“Yup.”

“Good. Do you want to grab anything to eat since we’re here, like some ice cream maybe?” Zev pulled out his wallet.

“I’m fine. I’m still full from breakfast.” Leaning against the car next to Zev, Lucky looked at Cecil and Violet laughing together with what seemed to be some ice cream plopped on Cecil’s nose and smiled. “They seemed to be getting along just fine.”

“Yeah, it seems that way. I think Cecil saw something different with Violet when he tripped, and his glasses fell off. I just wondered what that was,” Zev pondered as he tapped his chin.

“Well, I wish them the best. Right now, I need to polish the ash that Cindi gave onto my sword, and that will hopefully get us past the guards at the Snow Queen’s palace.” Lucky opened the car and sat down on the passenger’s seat before pulling out his car key that extended out to become a sword. “You don’t happen to have a cloth or handkerchief that I can burrow, do you?”

“Of course, I do.” Zev pulled out a red handkerchief from his back pocket of his jeans and handed it to Lucky. “You sure this’ll help us get to the Snow Queen?”

“It won’t hurt to try…well, it would if it doesn’t work on those guards, but I know this ash in particular is magical and combining this with my sword could transfer its magical qualities onto it. And working with technology is sort of a specialty of mine, along with combining it with magic.”

“Really? So, you’re not just a brawny prince, but a brainy one as well, tech-savvy as Cindi put it.”

“Of course. I’m the one who helped developed this sword to work in the way that it does. Even when I was a kid, I use to take a lot of things part, to understand how they work and later put them back together, sometimes in a better condition. I remember my father would get frustrated at me for taking apart the television remote, so he would buy me puzzles that I can take apart and put back together. I remember showing him the puzzles that I completed and him being so proud of me.”

Zev cocked his head. “If you don’t mind me asking, where was your mother during your childhood?”

Lucky shrugged. “I only have a few memories of her. My brothers would be better people to ask about who my mother was. All I do remember about her was that…she was very beautiful, and during the days when she was still with my father were also when he was the happiest, not at all the man you encountered back at the hospital. When she disappeared suddenly and after my oldest brother’s death, things changed, understandably so. But, my father…I think he never fully moved on from either tragedy.

“My eldest brother was supposed to inherit the Prince Charming title, and my father had so much faith that he could become the leader of the Charming order…so he died, along did my father’s hope. And as you know, I’m now considered the Prince Charming of my family since my brothers both forfeited it when they married themselves to Cheri and Cindi who my father strongly disapproved of. Any deviation from his plan for me to become leader of the order is not acceptable by him and could lead to bad things if I don’t follow through with it.”

“Like getting together with a wolf?” Zev inferred.

Lucky nodded. “Yeah…but ever since that whole debacle with that sea witch back at the flooded stadium, I’m caring less about what my father thinks, and I’m starting to see my own path in life. And like I just said to Cindi, if that means losing my title and being stripped of any recognition that I was part of the Charming order, then so be it. I just want to be happy again, to live my own happily ever after…but not until I reconstruct the Magic Mirror and defeat Lilith. Only then can I see a possible future for myself.”

“I see… And what would constitute your happily ever after?” Zev asked with a curious look on his face.

Lucky looked at Zev before blushing and looking away. “I…I don’t know. Before I didn’t believe that I would find a man who could be my own Prince Charming, to live with me forever on Earth and beyond death… But since I’ve met you, my perspective has definitely…shifted. I don’t know if it’s just my hormones talking, or if it has to do with you imprinting me. All I know is that what we have right now is worth exploring; I want to see where it goes. I would rather have it not work later down the road then left wondering what could’ve been. Do you get that?”

Zev nodded. “I understand completely. If I haven’t taken the opportunity to change my life for the better and got away from the pack, I don’t think my life would’ve been as fulfilling as it is now. In all honesty, I probably would be dead from a pack war, and I wouldn’t have my grandma, Velvet…or you.” Combing his fingers through Lucky’s hair, Zev smiled. “And I’d like to see where this relationship takes us…if you’ll allow it, of course.”

Lucky smiled back and leaned into the touch. “I’ll definitely allow it.”

“Great, because there’s a lot of things I still like to do to you, especially when all of this is over.

“Like what?” Lucky asked with a smirk.

“All I’ll say is that you’ll be polishing more than just your sword.” Zev winked.

Lucky chuckled and continued to polish his sword with the ash and handkerchief that caused the sword to gleam even more, causing it to reflect almost like a mirror. He did not use much of the ash to convert his sword into a shining blade of war, and he wrapped the small vase with the handkerchief before placing it carefully inside the car’s glovebox.

While Lucky did so, Zev got popsicles from the same food cart and handed a strawberry one to Lucky which he accepted graciously. The weather was becoming hotter, and it was going to be an actual relief when they locate the Snow Queen’s palace where the temperature would be a welcomed change.

After finishing their ice cream and buying some extra food from convenience store nearby as well as some cheap coats from a street vendor, Zev started the car and began driving to the approximate location of the palace. Lucky held a digital watch that displayed the nanoseconds in his hand, keeping an eye on it as they ventured outside the city limits and into the more rural areas of the land.

During the hour-long drive, the group played several road trip games, which Violet enjoyed greatly with Cecil playing along. Lucky got the sense that she did get out much, considering she was mostly stuck at her tower by the orders of her father. She was a literal damsel in distress, but by choice, and this road trip was probably like going to a theme park for her. Cecil probably did not get out much either because of his disability, which must be the reason why they were getting along so well.

Despite the danger of encounter the palace with its guards made of snow bees, Violet seemed to show no signs of worry. She was very insistence that she would come with them to the Snow Queen’s palace, saying she could be very useful if anything bad happens. What she could help with Lucky did not know, but her help with the Lake of Reason showed she was more than just the traditional princess who needed a hero to save her from peril.

Not stopping at any rest stops, they drove through the highway until Zev made a turn according to the GPS navigator into a wooded area. Lucky focused his attention on the digital watch, and when they reached a fork in the road, he moved the watch to both direction of the two roads. He then noticed that the left road path slowed down the nanoseconds of the watch. It was clear which path was the correct one, and he told that to Zev who pressed his foot on the gas pedal and began driving to the left road path. They encountered a few other forks, and with the help of watch, they found the correct path to the supposed palace. And as they continued their trip inside the woods, he noticed that the clock was quickly becoming slower. He knew that they were getting close, and he gripped his sword that was back into its key form as he anticipated the inevitable fight to finally reach the Snow Queen herself.

Everything was going according to plan, but everything changed when Zev cursed and said, “I don’t think we should be here.”

“Why’s that?” Lucky asked, taking his eyes off the digital watch.

“We’re in ogre country based on the sign that we just passed. We really should—”

Out of nowhere, a large tree fell onto the road, and Zev immediately slammed his foot onto the brake pedal. The car skidded, but fortunately it stopped right before hitting the tree. Lucky knew that this was not a coincidence as he looked around the area, wondering what had the power to topple a large tree, and the only possible conclusion was ogres, the ones who were stepping onto the road with their menacing height and taunting postures.

“What’s happening?” Cecil asked.

“Ogres,” Zev answered simply. “All of you stay here. I’ll handle this. And that includes you, Lucky.”

Lucky grunted, but he nodded and kept his seatbelt on as Zev exited the car and slowly approached the tallest of the ogres who stood onto of the fallen tree. Lucky rolled down the window on his side, so he could listen to what Zev was saying to the ogres, wanting to jump out if anything goes wrong. He heard bad things about wolves over the years, but they paled in comparison to the atrocities committed by ogres who did not steal food from little girls, but ate them instead, along with their entire families if given the chance. They were hated more than wolves, and ogres were restricted to live only in the restricted reservations granted to them by the government. They were completely isolated from human society, and that was for the best. They were dangerous creatures, especially since anyone who dared themselves to entire their territory never came back. They were like bigfoot, but completely hairless while wearing the fur of dead animals.

“We don’t want any trouble. We just want to reach our destination,” Zev assured the tallest ogre.

The ogre suddenly jumped off the tree and approached Zev who was half his height and bulkier with fat and muscle. “This is our territory. The only humans who come here are here to hunt us like we’re animals. We’re not animals!”

“Of course, you’re not. We’re not here to hurt you. We just—”

The ogre roared, and he grabbed Zev by the arm, lifting him up to his face and looking ready to eat him alive. Lucky quickly unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the car. With his sword extended out, he ran to the ogre and pointed his sword at him.

“Let him go now!”

The ogre looked down at Lucky who fearlessly stared up at the creature. No one was going to hurt Zev without a fight from Lucky, and if that involved a pile of dead ogres, then he would not hesitate to do just that.

The ogre narrowed his eyes at Lucky, seemingly unintimated from having a sword pointed at him. Judging by the multiple scars on his exposed, upper body, he had been through much worse. But then the ogre’s eyes widened, and with his mouth opening with what appeared to be awe, the ogre then lowered Zev back onto the ground. Lowering himself onto one knee, he looked at Lucky with a cocked head and what looked like curiosity in his expression.

“Are you…Lucian?”

Confused on how this ogre knew his name, Lucky just nodded without lowering his sword. “Yes, that’s my full name. I’m the newest Prince Charming, and if you don’t let us go right now—”

The ogre stood up, causing Lucky back up a little and Zev looked ready to fight as well with his hands clenched into fists. However, the ogres looked at the rest of his kin before shaking his head. The other ogres looked at each other before turning around and walking back into the thickness of the woods. The ogre then lowered himself back to Lucky’s level, and the creature looked at him with what looked like sadness in his eyes.

“You’re here for the Snow Queen, aren’t you?” the ogre asked.

“Yes…Yes, I am,” Lucky answered, his sword still raised at the ogre.

“I won’t harm you, or your friends. So, you can put your sword away.” The ogre lowered Lucky’s sword with just one finger.

Lucky was hesitant to do that, but he knew that the ogre would not attack him based mostly on his relaxed posture and nonthreatening gaze. So, he lowered his sword to his side, but he still had it equipped just in case. The ogre was the weight of several men, and one move could be the end of Lucky’s life, so he did not want to take any chances on being devoured by this ogre.

The ogre nodded in approval before saying, “I strongly advise that you do not attempt to reach the Snow Queen’s palace. It is heavily guarded by beings made of her snow bees that can withstand almost any weapon. Several of my kind have been severely injured trying to enter her palace and tell her to leave our land. I doubt just you and your sword will make a difference.”

“Well, I beg to differ since I have extra tools in my disposal that help me reach the Snow Queen,” Lucky said, referring to Cindi’s ash and Violet herself.

“You must be after her piece of the Magic Mirror.”

“I am. What do you know about it?”

The ogre lowered his head and sighed. “Kid, all I know is that the Snow Queen is making my people’s lives a frozen hell, and anyone who is willing to stop her from freezing our land further is more than welcome to cross this road. However, I warn you again that the Snow Queen is not someone to mess with, especially you, Lucian.”

“How do you know my name?”

“It’s long story. For now, I’ll move the tree, and I’ll you to continue down the road undisturbed. Just be careful, okay?”

Looking at the surprisingly articulate ogre with furrowed eyebrows, Lucky then nodded and he retracted his sword back into its key form. Zev quickly stood by his side as the ogre walked to the fallen tree and lifted it up like it weighed nothing, tossing it to the woods and stepping aside with his hands behind his back. Zev looked at Lucky with confusion before motioning his head to go back into the car, which he did. Inside, Zev slowly drove past the ogre who looked at them before turning back into the woods.

“What in Godmother’s name was that?” Violet asked

“You’re asking me?” Lucky said.

“Well, duh. That ogre knew your name and talked to you like you were family or something.”

“It could’ve been your title of Prince Charming that garnered some respect from him,” Cecil inferred.

“No way. The original Charming order hunted ogres along with other creatures like witches and wolves…uh, no offense, Zev,” Violet apologized.

Zev just shook his head. “You really didn’t know him, Lucky.”

“Of course, not. I mean, I know I’m a celebrity, but ogres have been separated from all human communication for decades, way before they and other magical creatures were revealed to be real to the public. I’m just confused as you all.”

“Well, regardless, we’re back on the road. Is the watch’s time still slowing down still, Lucky?”

Checking the watch, Lucky noticed the clock had completely stopped moving, and he then looked through the window to see the woods gradually becoming snowier. The trees then became more dispersed, and eventually the land was bare of any of them. The car began to slow down by the thickness of the snow-covered road as well as the falling snow that was becoming a blizzard, and it seemed that they had to walk the rest of the way to reach their destination. But the flurry of the falling snow then dissipated, and the snow turned to actual ice before the towers of the Snow Queen’s palace were revealed. Lucky realized they were now driving on a frozen lake with the palace right at the center.

They were finally here, and they were one step closer to the end.

Copyright © 2017 Superpride; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

1 hour ago, Wesley8890 said:

Articulate ogres, I like

 

And one has wonder if what people say about ogres are true, or are they just stereotypes meant to demonize an entire people like the wolves.

Link to comment
6 hours ago, mally said:

Things are heating up...can't wait to see what happens next. Cheers 😁

 

Yes, and they're going to need that heat once they finally enter the Snow Queen's palace 😉

Link to comment
7 hours ago, mally said:

Things are heating up...can't wait to see what happens next. Cheers 😁

 

Also, it seems that Zev is still in heat after his conversation with Lucky LOL.

Link to comment

Great chapter thanks. Some answers to questions but the big question remains. Who is the snow queen and why do the ogres know who Lucky is???   The elder charming sounds like an ass. And the order of the charmings???  Lucky should be happy to get out if he can!!!   Looking forward to more. Thanks again. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, glennish said:

Great chapter thanks. Some answers to questions but the big question remains. Who is the snow queen and why do the ogres know who Lucky is???   The elder charming sounds like an ass. And the order of the charmings???  Lucky should be happy to get out if he can!!!   Looking forward to more. Thanks again. 

 

Thank you for the comment!  The Snow Queen's origins will definitely be revealed towards the end of the first part, and what I can say right now is that it is connected with the other witch and Lilith herself.  As for Lucky's father, he is indeed as ass, but there's so much we don't know about him in terms of his relationship with his former wife and eldest son, and hopefully that will be explained in the next part of the story.

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

The only way Lucky is ever going to keep both his title and Zev is to get his father laid. 

 

The big mystery in this chapter is who is the lead ogre and how did he know Lucky? I have my suspicions, but I'll keep them to myself.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The only way Lucky is ever going to keep both his title and Zev is to get his father laid. 

 

The big mystery in this chapter is who is the lead ogre and how did he know Lucky? I have my suspicions, but I'll keep them to myself.

 

A very probable solution for Lucky's father haha!  Also, ogres have their own origin story like wolves and vampires that was yet to be revealed, and that particular ogre definitely has some history with Lucky that the prince doesn't know about...yet.  At least they are not the human-eating creatures like in the fairy tales.  They are just trying to live their lives without conflict as a race of people more persecuted than even wolves, and their existence probably explains bigfoot sightings in this world before magic was revealed just as a side note.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..