Jump to content
    Superpride
  • Author
  • 3,309 Words
  • 836 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Hero Wanted 2 - 1. Chapter One

“—Due to its expansive, uninhabited lands, these areas of Canada are where the remains of the Colossus and the waste products generated from the manufacturing of nodes are dumped. Many of the aboriginal people of Canada have been against the dumping of Colossus remains onto their native lands, especially since the Colossus do not decay like any lifeform on Earth. Instead, they pose a danger to all surrounding wildlife, mutating it to such a degree that has yet to be fully observed by scientists. This is all due to Canada having the most relaxed environmental protection laws of any first-world country, and with its growing dependence on fossil fuels, many people are concerned about the future landscape of America's northern neighbor—”

“—Being the next two candidates to become member states of HERO, both Brazil and Nigeria have shown incredible promise after subjects exhibited new abilities after being implanted with node technology. The Brazilian subjects are able to drastically increase their power threshold for a limited amount of time for added offensive strength, while the Nigerian subjects have exhibited the new ability of connecting their nodes to other nearby subjects for increased offensive attacks. Scientists theorize that due to Brazil’s proximity to active volcanoes and Nigeria’s constellations, the nodes have mutated in a way that grants different abilities to people of these two countries. This is very similar to the phenomenon in Europe where Champions have been granted unique abilities supposedly from lightning—”

“—The Mexican government is on the verge of complete anarchy as the drug and weapons trade continues to be a major conflict for its citizens, fueled from the illegal manufacturing and distribution of node technology coming from an unknown source. And as crime continues to spike throughout the country, so has the number of immigrants crossing the border into the United States illegally to escape the violence that has claimed the lives of thousands of Mexicans. Also, the debate over whether a physical wall is necessary to stem the tide of Mexican immigrants from stepping onto American soil has been circulating through the government and social media. This is mostly caused by the unknown side effects of the nodes created by the Mexican cartels, and the fear that this threat could spread to the cities along the border of Mexico have caused many Americans to demand solutions—”

“—With North and South Korea finally reunited after several decades of armed conflict, Japan has already began mobilizing their Champion forces to establish a new Champion division in the country. However, HERO has not yet authorized this move, and many are speculating that the Japanese government is establishing this new division due to Vietnam declaring its allegiance to the Philippines in wake of possible war between the two Asian countries—”

“—And in other news, the European Union has been dealt another serious blow today after Sweden announced its withdrawal from the union. Along with Greece and the United Kingdom, this makes Sweden the third country to cut its ties with an alliance that has been heavily criticized for its past actions, from the migrant crisis beginning in 2015 to the modern-day war with the Colossus. However, with this major loss comes new unions like the Republic of Hesperides, the Kingdom of Himinbjorg and another possible union with the United Kingdom, Ireland and Scotland. With these unions, also comes new divisions, and whether Europe can maintain unity—”

Someone grabbed Ryan’s phone from his hands, and he looked at Chris who was looking back at him with a raised eyebrow.

“I think that’s enough bad news for today, don’t you think?” Chris stated as he turned off the phone before handing it back to Ryan. “Too much bad news can be bad for you.”

Ryan chuckled. “Sorry. I just think that it’s my responsibility to be informed about what’s happening in the world, particularly in the United States since I don’t believe living under a rock is the healthiest thing to do either.”

Rolling his eyes, Chris lied back against his seat. “I’m already informed about what’s happening in this world thanks to my father who’s running for one of California’s two Senate seats.”

Smirking, Ryan said, “True.” He looked at the magazines on the table that had repetitive images of the latest celebrities and their scandals. Looking around the waiting room, he then asked, “So, why does your father want us to be at his workplace again?”

Chris just shrugged and placed his hands behind his head. “The hell if I know. This could be his diabolical plan to kill us after discovering our relationship a few weeks back.”

Shaking his head, Ryan picked up a magazine and began flipping through it. “I’m sure you’re joking. I’m actually surprised your father was very accepting of us being together.”

“Yeah, me too. Must be an ulterior motive since he has been planning my path in life since I was a teenager. I can’t believe we had to cancel our vacation because of that hurricane. Must’ve been my father’s doing as well.”

The situation with the hurricane was very bad timing since the natural disaster occurred during the vacation period after the battle that happened in Washington DC with the Colossus. Apparently, the town that they were supposed to vacation at was flooded by the hurricane and needed weeks to fully recover. Fortunately, a few weeks passed, and the town of Hopewell was back in business. Unfortunately for Ryan and Chris, their vacation period had ended, and they had to wait until the summer to travel for a vacation, which would not happen until next year.

“Well…at least you two are talking. Can’t say the same thing about me and my father,” Ryan said, looking at a magazine page of a young boy riding on the shoulders of his father.

Chris then placed a hand on Ryan’s, and he looked to see Chris giving him a sympathetic smile. “I’m sorry. I really shouldn’t be complaining about my situation, especially since you and your father haven’t talked since the battle.”

Turning his hand over and gently squeezing Chris’s, Ryan said, “It’s okay.”

Added with the cancelled vacation was the absence of Ryan’s father in his life. The decision not to communicate with his father has caused Ryan to feel like there was an empty hole in his life, an emptiness that needed to be filled again with paternal affection. However, after the reaction he received from his father before the battle at the academy, Ryan was very reluctant to talk to him again, worried that it would automatically switch to how much he hated Chris and how he did not want his only son to be with a ticking timebomb. Ryan abandoned those insinuations about Chris a long time ago, and for now Ryan just needed some distance away from anything that would negatively impact their relationship, even if that meant distancing himself from his own father and only family.

As Ryan tried to distract himself by flipping through the pages of the magazine, a door opened, and a pretty receptionist entered the waiting room. “Hello, gentlemen. Dr. Shepherd is ready to see you two.”

Ryan looked at Chris with weary eyes before he gripped Ryan’s hand again with comfort. He then smiled and placed the magazine back on the table before standing up from his seat. He and Chris approached the receptionist who smiled at them with her perfect, white teeth, and they followed her through a wide hallway. Both sides of the hallways showed scientists performing various tasks through large windows, and Ryan was captivated by these intelligent people advancing the science of node technology and bettering the future of humanity. He then wondered if this was what he would be destined to become after he retired from the Champions and went back to school. He could only hope.

They stopped at the end of the hallway where a set of tall, double doors were at. The receptionist took a card and swiped it on a console next to the doors. A light above the doors then turned white before the doors unlocked. The receptionist motioned her hand for them to enter, telling to have a great day before walking away with her high heels clicking on the hard floor. Chris looked at Ryan with a raised eyebrow before pushing open both doors and entered inside with Ryan right behind him. Inside was a large, circular room, similar to the room back at the academy where simulations were displayed and allowed Champion cadets to train. The area had a light-gray color, and Ryan was slightly shivering by the cold temperature inside. A wide window was located at the far end where scientists must be observing through from above.

“Hello, Champions! Welcome to Synergy Corporation!”

Ryan quickly turned to see a blond woman walking towards him and Chris. He quickly realized the woman was Iris, a virtual assistant similar to other systems used on a phone and computer. However, Iris could materialize into a full-bodied simulation with her hair tightened into a bun at the top of her head; a white, buttoned-up shirt and black, pencil skirt that were both flawlessly ironed to perfection; and black, low heels.

She smiled at them with her red lips stretched on her face and said, “Dr. Shepherd has assigned me with the task of introducing you to upgraded and newly designed weapons that will prove useful to you both during the upcoming weeks.”

Ryan raised an eyebrow. “What’s happening during the upcoming weeks?”

“I’m sorry, but I was not provided an answer to that specific question. You can talk to Dr. Shepherd after this session has ended. Are you ready to begin?”

Ryan turned to Chris who just shrugged in response. “Uh…sure.”

“Excellent! First, I will introduce you to the newly designed blade weapons.” A blade weapon then materialized in front of Iris. “This blade weapon, instead of having a ring-shaped hilt that allows a shield to fan out, the hilt now encompasses the entire handle that allows the shield to fan out without posing a threat to the user’s hand. In addition, the fanned shield can also spin and allow the user to throw it at enemy targets before returning to the user’s hand. Take one now and simulations of ten-percent synchronization will materialize, allowing you to test the weapons.”

Ryan approached the hovering weapon and grabbed it at the handle, and another weapon materialized in its place, which Chris grabbed. Two simulations then materialized side by side before running towards them with blade weapons in their hands. Ryan decided to test out the new design and flared out the sword into a shield which blocked the attack from the simulation easily. He then pushed the simulation away before activating its new feature; the shield spun like a sawblade and he threw it at the simulation that shattered it by the waist. He then turned to see Chris slicing the other simulation vertically in half with his spinning shield still in his hand. He looked at Ryan, smirking before Iris rematerialized in the room.

“Excellent! Now that you have tested the new feature of the blade weapon, you are ready to see the newly designed blunt weapons.” The weapon dematerialized in Ryan’s hand as well as Chris’s before it was replaced with a blunt weapon. “You may have noticed the seams along the handle of the weapon. This new design allows the user to adjust the length of the handle to his or her preference. In addition, the head of the weapon can now retract to the center of the handle before being fired as a projectile at enemy targets. You can test this new feature now.”

Two new simulations materialized, one running towards Ryan and the other towards Chris. Ryan adjusted the length of his weapon before swinging at the simulation, pushing it back before he aimed the weapon and retracted the head. The head then fired from the handle and struck the simulation that was lying on the ground, shattering it to pieces. Chris used a technique of jabbing the simulation in the midsection before lifting his weapon upward and firing the projectile to the ceiling, shattering the simulation. Ryan chuckled at the theatrics that Chris was performing before Iris rematerialized once again.

“Excellent! You have tested the new designs and features of both the blade and blunt weapons. This session is now over, and Dr. Shepherd will now talk with you two about what this session was about. Have an excellent day, Champions of the future!”

Iris turned around and began walking away before dematerializing. The weapons in their hands also dematerialized, and the double doors opened to reveal Dr. Shepherd himself. He was wearing a light-blue shirt with a tie, tan pants, brown dress shoes, and a white lab coat. His dark hair was lined with gray and was combed to the back, and his short beard was neatly trimmed, almost sculpted that gave him a very authoritative presence.

“Hello, hello!” Dr. Shepherd chimed as he approached Ryan and Chris. “I hope you two found the session very enlightening. I’ve worked hard to make these weapons as streamlined as possible without sacrificing their efficiency.”

“It was very…enlightening.” Chris said with his hands on his hips. “But why did you show us this? Neither of us use blade or blunt weapons, so I don’t see how this is relevant to us.”

Dr. Shepherd chuckled and placed his hand on his chin. “It’s actually very relevant to you two, specifically to Ryan.”

Ryan took a step back and raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?”

“Follow me, you two, and you’ll know what exactly I’m talking about.” Dr. Shepherd motioned his hand and began walking back to the doors.

Biting his lower lip, Ryan wondered what Dr. Shepherd possibly wanted to show him. The idea that he was leading Ryan and Chris to their deaths was becoming more believable when he said that they were going to the underground level of the building. However, he mustered his courage and followed Dr. Shepherd through the doors and to an elevator with Chris right by his side. Entering the elevator, Dr. Shepherd swiped a card on a console before the doors slid closed and the elevator began descending down to the underground level.

Jazz music was playing inside, which made Ryan more nervous instead of relaxed and Dr. Shepherd said, “Have you two enjoyed your vacation?”

“We did… We would’ve gone to Hopewell, but the hurricane ruined that plan,” Chris replied just as the elevator doors opened again.

“I’m sorry to hear that. I hope the upcoming weeks prove to be relaxing though,” Dr. Shepherd said as he walked out of the elevator.

Ryan wondered what Dr. Shepherd meant by that as they followed him into a room that was big, but smaller compared to the previous room. As they walked to the center of the room, he saw a large pair of gauntlets and leg extensions that were part of the Chimaera System that Ryan used as his weapon that was suspended on a platform. It was composed of four large discs that separated thickness-wise, allowing bladed fingers to extend out of two of the discs and leg extensions to unfold out of the other two. Stopping in front of it, the weapon looked sleeker compared to his own, which made sense since his was still a prototype.

“What do you think, Ryan?” Dr. Shepherd asked.

“Looks very…sleek.”

Grinning, Dr. Shepherd said, “Yes, it’s very sleek compared to your version since yours is a prototype. This is the final version of the Chimaera, combined with the new features of the weapons you just tested out. And it’s ready for you to use.”

Ryan’s eyes widened, and he looked at Dr. Shepherd who just nodded to the Chimaera in front of him. Taking a deep breath, Ryan stepped onto the platform and positioned himself before slowly inserting his hands into the gauntlets and then the leg extensions. The system locked onto his arms and legs, and armor extended to his shoulders and hips. He turned the gauntlet from front to back, reveling at how lighter the gauntlet felt compared to the prototype, and he was sure he could move faster with the leg extensions as well.

“Do you like the fit?” Dr. Shepherd asked with a smirk.

“Yeah, I do. It feels so light,” Ryan said as he stepped off the platform.

“Yes, and it comes with the new features of the blade and blunt weapons. A shield can fan out from the back of the gauntlet, providing added protection and a head of a blunt weapon can extend out from the palm of the gauntlet. It can be used as a projectile with a chain attached to it as well, providing a new method of attacking enemies. Try them out.”

Ryan looked at the back of one gauntlet and fanned out a large shield, and he extended out a head of a blunt weapon on the palm of his other gauntlet. “Wow. This is very impressive.”

“I hoped so. This will be very useful to you, especially since you and Chris share a link together known as compassion.” Placing his hands behind his back, Dr. Shepherd continued by saying, “And this will definitely prove useful to you when you two travel to Japan.”

“Japan?” Chris said with furrowed eyebrows. “What are you talking about, Dad?”

“It has come to my attention that Japanese scientists are conducting experiments to create a new breed of Champions; though, these experiments have not been sanctioned by HERO. So, to solve this dilemma, these scientists are releasing all information about their project, and they want the most powerful Champions from every country with a Champion division in their military to participate in testing out these new Champions. They hope their project will solve the node shortage and create Champions in the tens of thousands rather than the small numbers we’re currently producing.”

“So, you’re outfitting Ryan with the final version of the Chimaera, so he can battle these new Champions?” Chris asked.

“And every other Champions who is selected to come to Japan to validate their experiments,” Dr. Shepherd added. “Your Cherubim System will also be upgraded to its next trial version. I just need to work on a few small things before that happens.” Dr. Shepherd clasped his hands together. “So, you two better start packing now since you two will most likely be selected with a few other Champions from the academy.”

“Okay…”

“You can place the Chimaera back into its original position, Ryan. Your nodes should’ve been updated with the new schematics of the Chimaera, and hopefully they’ll prove useful to you.”

Ryan placed the Chimaera back on the platform, and Dr. Shepherd led them back to the first floor of the building through the elevator and waved them goodbye. Outside, the sky was blue and cloudless, and the heat was a complete change from the cold, air-conditioned temperatures from inside the building. As they walked to Chris’s car, Ryan looked at him and knew he was troubled by something.

“Are you okay, Chris?” Ryan asked with a hand on his shoulder.

“To be honest…not really.” Facing Ryan, Chris then said, “I was hoping things would go back to normal after the battle a few weeks ago. Now we’re most likely going to be sent to Japan, so we can test out these new Champions…seems very sketchy to me.”

“Yeah, I think so too…but I heard Japan is a great tourist destination, and maybe we can have some fun while we’re there,” Ryan said, squeezing Chris’s shoulder gently.

Looking up, Chris smiled and placed a kiss on Ryan’s lips. “Yeah, that’ll be wonderful.”

Copyright © 2018 Superpride; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

I was typing away and completely oblivious nothing was appearing on the page. Let me try again.

 

I hate coming in the theater after the show has started. You usually have no idea what is going on or who everyone might be. While I'll still want to go back and read part one of this story, this seems to stand alone very well with the clever use of the news feed. I have the feeling there are enemies here who have yet to reveal themselves. They may or may not be family. Neither boy seems overjoyed with their respective father. It all appears set  for a tumultuous ride. You may press play whenever you are ready.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment

It’s a weird fatherly twist where the one we liked in last book is being an ass where the one we were leary of now seems ok.   I wonder if that is the case or if something is up.  A battle of champions seems like a waste while earth is still being invaded by the colossus. Thanks for continuing the story. Until next chapter. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I was typing away and completely oblivious nothing was appearing on the page. Let me try again.

 

I hate coming in the theater after the show has started. You usually have no idea what is going on or who everyone might be. While I'll still want to go back and read part one of this story, this seems to stand alone very well with the clever use of the news feed. I have the feeling there are enemies here who have yet to reveal themselves. They may or may not be family. Neither boy seems overjoyed with their respective father. It all appears set  for a tumultuous ride. You may press play whenever you are ready.

 

I'm happy you like the news segments.  The same thing happens a few times in the first part of the story, and I use it to expand the world building of the story's universe.  Hopefully, it gave you the sense of what the setting is like for the character who live in it.  And there's a whole history between Ryan and his father as well with Chris's that is explored in the first part that you'll hopefully read after this.  It is quite a ride for sure.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, glennish said:

It’s a weird fatherly twist where the one we liked in last book is being an ass where the one we were leary of now seems ok.   I wonder if that is the case or if something is up.  A battle of champions seems like a waste while earth is still being invaded by the colossus. Thanks for continuing the story. Until next chapter. 

 

Thanks for another comment!  It definitely is a twist with the fathers, and we'll see how their relationships further develop as the story continues in Japan.  And at least the battle between Champions is authorized and not an internal war that would spell doom for the future of humanity.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..