Jump to content
    thecalimack
  • Author
  • 1,578 Words
  • 1,183 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

errorlog.txt - 3. WITNESS

[root@localhost] read 'N-005 - Safe.transc'

***

Alright, guys. Just a few minutes, ease up! Haha. It's just an audio log. This thing doesn't even have a webcam! You can't photobomb something with no lens!

Liam, get your friends off of me, I swear to god!


Ah, shit. It recorded that. Ah, well. Audio log... I think it's five. I'm sure it's five. Yes, five.


College campus is my only safe haven in this town, and it's only because there are more open minds here than elsewhere. The nightclub shooting was inspiring a lot of talk, most giving me a sense of ease.

Liam met up with me to discuss my plans, or lack thereof. It was nice to know he was ready to take me in, at least. But there was an issue: he was planning to join the Marines.

Of course, I listened to what he had to say. He wanted to do this, like his brother before him. His family was supportive of it. That was a given, actually. I still remember how happy they were when he came out to them; I was introduced as a boyfriend on the same day. Their family would have been a safehouse if I wasn't so scared of what my mom would do to track me down, if it ever came to that. She had influence in the town. She was too much a revered figure.

I asked when he was going to apply for the Marines. Apparently, they already sent in a request and he would be given a date for evaluation soon. So that left our time together a mystery.

I didn't know how much time I had in that home, either, but it was nice to know I could do my recordings in school, just in case. I had to deal with the proxies in their network by making my program adjust, but it should give me another hub to work in safety and peace of mind.

God, I haven't recorded something this long in a while. It feels great! I can hardly believe it.

I have a few ideas for the program that I wanted some computer majors to look into. Hopefully they can help; learning on your own is difficult. Hopefully I could use this in a resume as well.

Hopefully I survive this.

Signing ou-- ...Hey, I thought you guys left.

...What's with that look for, guys?

*** [END OF FILE] ***


[root@localhost] read 'N-006 - rEdact.transc'

***

Today would have killed me if I wasn't such a good liar.

They found my sketchbook. You'd think something like that was harmless, but it held my analogy of the male anatomy. Yes, I drew the baseball and the football teams. For artistic and maybe voyeuristic purposes. Mostly so I could stalk my boyfriend. It was perfectly harmless. Hell, the guys actually seem to love it.

But of course, they took it into context. I had to justify how I was going to do an art piece for a project and how I needed to practice. Another vicious prayer vigil was held, and the words and venom laced in that passive-aggressive excuse of love filled my throat with bile. It burned beneath the surface, but I held it back. I had to look the part.

I had to redact all the stuff in my room. Hid away some, marked out and burned away others. I had to draw extra just to hide the men with the women.

I had to start encrypting my files more, changing file names and parsing methods. My parents know basic file reading, but an estranged file type should deter them. If only hiding the truth was as easy in real life as it was in computers, but that would be scary, wouldn't it?

I don't have a lot of time. I hear footsteps again. Signing out.

*** [END OF FILE] ***

[root@localhost] read 'N-007 - reacH.transc'

***

Audio log zero-zero-seven. Take two.

I didn't think I could scare Liam, but I apparently did.

I wrote a test program for chat. That was a bitch; I had to translate functions to match the OS on his phone. I doubt he's getting one of those fancier phones, though, so it should be in the clear.

It was simple work once I stole his phone for a minute. I took note of some specs and went through comm network functions to make it. It was pretty simple, actually. Easy as long as he was connected to the internet the same time I use it.

I tried it in the room with him, and so I messed with him a bit. He didn't like it very much, but he didn't mind. He thought it was pretty neat. I think this should help me reach him whenever I need to. Problem was if I had to deal with firewalls at whatever camp he'd be sent to, or wherever else.

Then I started making a special function: the backup profiles.


Normally, they'd restore the data from the last known system save, but these are different.

I made sure that loading a backup profile would execute a hidden function. I just need to get some data about a few emergency lines, see if there's a way to reach them via a chat program. It isn't like I can attach audio modules on this thing; that might be too much work. I need something, maybe even a signal frequency but... I'm not sure how to get something like that.

I'm lucky mom, dad, and big brother left the house. I could use this to my heart's content. Sadly, I'm out of things to say. Been dedicating the day to organizing the program.

I hope I never have to use it.


*** [END OF FILE] ***


'help' function updated.


[root@localhost] help

You can do the following: help, read, list, open, run, mv, rmv, cdr, look manual, seek device, send

[root@localhost] look manual

***

load bprofile(arg)

- Loads and runs backup profile.
[Liam] - salvages vital log files, sends emergency signal.
[Noel] - sabotages stored data, deletes multiple log files.

***

[root@localhost] load bprofile(Liam)

ERROR: Unable to send signal. Global variable send_count already > 0.
ERROR: Missing destination.

Salvaging log files...
Salvage complete. 40 log files salvaged.
Log files saved in '/log/' and '/liam/'.


[root@localhost] load bprofile(Noel)

ERROR: Unable to load backup profile [Noel]

[root@localhost] read 'N-008 - nEtwork.transc'

***

It took a few days, but I'm picking up more on networking. I should have a much smoother system soon. Learned to network it to send files to my online accounts. Clouds. Free ones, in case I'm gone too long.

If someone hacks into them, well, they'll see these. Maybe they'll find it in their hearts to help or something. I dunno. Wishful thinking.

Liam's been talking to some friends of his. Nice to know I have choices, but that's just these young'uns. Their families might think differently. I... I want to trust them so bad but I'm scared.

I'd hate to mooch off of them; they have their own lives to worry about. No, I could do this. I just... need support. Little ones. I'm sure that's enough.

Heh, keep telling yourself that Ellis. Sure, Noel Ellis Rosche can write a fail-safe but not act on it. That looks good on paper, doesn't it?

I'm going to expand on the wireless network in the house, maybe get some wireless cameras installed. I'll have to figure out the power supply distribution and find a way to plant them with either approval or without them knowing. At best, I can make some in my room. Better than that damn peephole.

I need to think this over. Signing out.

*** [END OF FILE] ***

Camera feeds recovered. Video files saved into folder '/feeds/eagle-eye'.

Initiating WITNESS protocol...
Running 'seek device'...
Located device 'PDA - PI421'

Preparing video files for sending. Please confirm.
Confirmation received.

Uploading files...
Upload complete.


NOTICE OF PROGRAMMER:

You have received surveillance footage stored within this computer. Please use these files wisely. If you are using this program, I may be gone or missing. I may be dead or worse. If you find anything noteworthy, do not hesitate to report it.

People need to know.


End program (Y/N)? Y


[root@localhost] _

.
.
.
You know how this will end, don't you?
Copyright © 2017 thecalimack; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

3 hours ago, hohochan657 said:

NO !  I don't know how this will end !  Actually I dread what I'll learn eventually ...

I think I do, too XD

Link to comment

Noel's story is getting scarier and scarier... I do wish he could get out of that house, but he's trapped. Very claustrophobic feeling to this. It's almost difficult to breathe. Where could he be...? 

Link to comment
4 hours ago, Puppilull said:

Noel's story is getting scarier and scarier... I do wish he could get out of that house, but he's trapped. Very claustrophobic feeling to this. It's almost difficult to breathe. Where could he be...? 

I am literally giving myself suspense over this fic. I think my masochistic tendencies are showing. :D

 

At any rate, we're approaching the end game. Glad to know I've got you tense.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..