Jump to content
    thecalimack
  • Author
  • 1,030 Words
  • 3,177 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Photos - 1. Photos

The room was what you'd expect from a teenage football star at their high school: vibrant, walls painted in blue with awards and medals on shelves, pictures of trophies being held up, teammates gathered for the picture, of the current girlfriend stealing a kiss with the star. The desk was messy with stationary and other paraphernalia, and the room was slightly cluttered. But the life in the room was sucked away by the young man in a black suit, looking over the contents of the discarded brown envelope that now laid on the ground.

 

Photos. Each photo a printed memory of simple moments of his life. Mixed in with them were candid shots, imperfect but striking in their own right. Each candid shot was focused on him, almost everything else blurred away. There were sketches, too; little attempts at recreating a memory missed. All this dedication screamed love, adoration.

 

Holding them in his hands now was baffling.

 

His arms were tense, the hands surprisingly gentle, fearing they would crumple the delicate sheet of paper. His chest felt hollow as he looked around his room, the realization dawning on him in a way that he never felt before. There was no grief like this before. This alien feeling wormed its way inch by insipid inch into his heart the moment he heard the news.

 

It was a fight. A simple fight. He thought it was, at least. It all started with what he thought was a joke, a silly joke that his friend kept pushing. He was drunk, too; not in his right mind. But he should have figured that the less he saw his friend, the worse it was getting. He should have seen the signs. He remembered little hints: catching glimpses of him eating alone outside the cafeteria, his own friends asking about where he'd been, that moment he saw him leaving the hardware store.

 

He didn't hear it from the news. Or from any letter. There was no note, nothing to explain, nothing that foretold what was to come. There was no warning. Nothing except...

 

[Could we talk?]

 

That was the last thing he saw: a text from him, and a missed call.

No, it wasn't just a missed call.

Why didn't he follow up?

 

Missed call. Mason. 20:18 08/06/XXXX
Missed call. Mason. 18:35 09/06/XXXX
Missed call. Mason. 07:00 10/06/XXXX
Missed call. Mason. 20:00 11/06/XXXX
Missed call. Mason. 21:00 11/06/XXXX
Missed call. Mason. 22:00 11/06/XXXX
Missed call. Mason. 23:00 11/06/XXXX

 

He didn't send a text back. Nothing except that one message after the second call.

 

[I'm busy.]

 

What was the young man doing during those last missed calls? He remembered a party. He remembered dragging his girlfriend somewhere quiet. He remembered killing the call and putting it on silent so they could get down to business. He remembered barely anything about it.

 

[I'm busy.]

 

Busy was right. Busy in the worst ways.

 

The service itself was sparse, with only a few friends and family bothering to visit. There was no grand announcement at school, only whispers, as if it was gossip to revel in. With startling clarity, he remembered every miserable comment made with that friendly smile of his, joking.

 

Joking.

 

He thought he was joking.

 

All it took was a moment.

 

The tear that fell on the frayed paper blurred the ink it landed on. He gently set it aside and stuffed the photos back in their envelope, afraid of damaging what was left. They only found the body when a group of hikers stumbled upon the site, the reports said. The belongings were scattered by the wind, but recovered as best as they could. The personal affects in the bag were kept by the family, but it looked like they dug out what would have been a sort of last will and testament.

 

A message without words. Each kodak moment was captured with such love and adoration. You could feel it bleeding through the pictures, how a set of eyes always were trained on one man. What felt even more jarring was the lack of presence from the man behind the lens.

 

Words unsaid. Always a third party. Watching the world alone.

 

That wasn't fair. They were friends. That friend listened. Always, he listened. Always, he watched. Almost every game, almost every date, almost every trip out of town, he was there. Nothing to remember him by, but pictures he took of someone else. No one ever offered to take his picture. No one ever offered to bring him into pictures. No one ever offered to invite him, not without reason.

 

There wasn't even a picture on the coffin.

 

The realization hit him. The feral scream he let out as he clutched the sheets and curled in on himself. He tossed, kicked, and screamed as trophies and plaques hit the floor, punches dented the wooden walls, kicks cracked the mirror, paper flew and tore over his desk. Nothing numbed that empty void throbbing inside him. It took the smashing of the chair against the floor and splinters flying for him to notice again the quiet envelope sitting on the floor, just by the bed.

 

This wasn't his first tantrum, but it was the first he'd had to go through such impossible pain all alone.

 

He never could have pictured this happening. He'd always thought of his friend as calm, insightful, independent. Firm and able to stand on his own two feet in solitude. In reality, he failed to notice how gentle and fragile this man was. He'd failed to notice this man at all.

 

The confession was quiet, sudden. He didn't think much of it. But now, it was all that was left.

 

If there was one bright lining behind this, it was that it seemed, until the end, there were only good memories his friend kept of him. Why bring the object you hate to your most vulnerable moment? No, there was no hate. There were just pictures.

 


Photos. There was no need for words.

Let me know what you think!
©Copyright (2018) Mack Neil Nunez; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Sad 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

another story that conveys so much without the words actually being said. This is just as good as "Can't A Guy Visit A Friend?" More tragic, but the story itself definitely has something to say. Thank you.

 

Scottie

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

That guilt must be terrible to live with. To think there could have been something done to prevent the tragedy. If there is something I've learned over the years, it's that we never really know another person fully. It's difficult for a young person to see that, though. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator

Like Puppi said, we never truly know what's going on in another person's head.  This is heart-wrenching.  You pack a lot in such a short story.  Nicely done.  

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment

A bleak reminder that in this world of instant communication it becomes so easy to fob someone off , with a foreshortened chat or a quick text . We never know the consequences that will follow . Powerful story with a complimentary darkness to the light in, “ Can’t a guy visit a friend”. 

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 1/14/2018 at 1:23 AM, Valkyrie said:

Like Puppi said, we never truly know what's going on in another person's head.  This is heart-wrenching.  You pack a lot in such a short story.  Nicely done.  

I'm starting to think shorts are my forte, haha

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 1/14/2018 at 1:23 AM, Valkyrie said:

Like Puppi said, we never truly know what's going on in another person's head.  This is heart-wrenching.  You pack a lot in such a short story.  Nicely done.  

I'm starting to think shorts are my forte, haha

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 1/14/2018 at 12:29 AM, Puppilull said:

That guilt must be terrible to live with. To think there could have been something done to prevent the tragedy. If there is something I've learned over the years, it's that we never really know another person fully. It's difficult for a young person to see that, though. 

It IS pretty gruesome.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
On 1/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, Scotrik1 said:

another story that conveys so much without the words actually being said. This is just as good as "Can't A Guy Visit A Friend?" More tragic, but the story itself definitely has something to say. Thank you.

 

Scottie

It seems weird that I could write tragedy so well, haha.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is sadly beautiful. It certainly put a damper on my mood. Your writing created quite a vivid picture. I assume Miguel was the boy in the bedroom with the pictures, and Mason was his suicidal friend. I don't think Miguel came to Tristan's to prevent a suicide, but I guess this event is what made him support Tristan. It is sad to think we get busy with our own lives and don't always think how a moment of time given can impact someone else. Thank you

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..