Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 1,725 Words
  • 4,953 Views
  • 21 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Storms - 14. Loz

Content warning: mentions of sexual assault

My hands shook. I couldn’t seem to breathe properly, or think, the events of the last half hour playing in my head over and over, in fast forward motion.

I sat on a bench in the schoolyard, staring at the ground. Break was almost over. I couldn’t go back to class, couldn’t look him in the eye, Daniel. How could I ever look at him again, after what we’d done?

‘I’m not queer, I’m not queer, I’m not queer . . .’ If I repeated my mantra often enough, in my head or out loud, it would become true. It was true. I wasn’t queer, no fucking way. I wasn’t.

‘Okay, okay, don’t panic,’ I told myself, entirely aware that I was talking to myself like a crazy person. ‘It’ll be okay. Just act like nothing happened. Because nothing happened, right?’

But that was no good. I could convince myself I wasn’t gay, but what had happened couldn’t unhappen.

I clenched my shaking hands into fists, and that made me feel better. I stood up, and that gave me resolve. I left the school, leaving all my things but what I had with me—my coat and my PE kit—and went home.

They’d call my dad. He’d call me. That was okay. I’d explain, tell him I was sick. Sudden explosive diarrhoea or something. And he would buy it.

* * *

Dad did buy it. Not ten minutes after I got home, he rang me, wondering where I was. I lied through my teeth.

Then I showered, scrubbed myself clean of everything, and went to bed. It wouldn’t be hard for Dad to believe I was sick if he came home and found me already in bed. That would still be a couple of hours, though. As I lay there, the tears came. I tried to choke them back, but I couldn’t. Again, there was the feeling that I couldn’t breathe. I gasped between sobs, and then I was hyperventilating and shaking. That went on for a few minutes before it finally died down, and I could breathe again. I felt exhausted, drained.

I got up to piss and then got back into bed. My mind was a haze of images and thoughts, blending into one another. Laughing with my dad and my brothers one moment, fucking Daniel the next. Daniel. Sweet, beautiful Daniel . . . I fell asleep with his name on my lips.

* * *

I woke up when Darren got home. He came into the room and sat down at the edge of my bed. His voice was much softer than usual when he said, ‘Hey, little bro. How you doing?’

I shrugged one shoulder as well as I could lying down.

‘Dad texted me. Stomach bug, huh? Sucks balls. Need anything?’

‘No thanks,’ I mumbled.

‘I’ll bring you some water, at least. Make sure you don’t dry out, yeah?’ He stood up, and I heard him leave the room.

I was actually surprised at his tenderness. I hadn’t been properly sick since I was a little kid. I suppose I was still the baby, really. As much as my dad and my brothers postured, they still cared about me. Well, Darren and Dad did, anyway. I wasn’t so sure about George. It made me feel a bit bad about lying, but it’s not like I could tell them the truth, why I was really feeling this way. If they found out what I’d been doing . . .

A hot, angry feeling rose in my chest, and for a moment I hated them. And I hated Daniel, for doing this to me. He’d made me queer.

‘I’m not queer, I’m not queer, I’m not queer!’ I murmured under my breath. Then I heard Darren’s footsteps in the hall and fell silent. A moment later the door opened again.

‘Here you go,’ he said, placing the glass of water on my bedside table. I grunted my thanks. ‘You sure you don’t need anything else?’

I shook my head.

‘All right. I’m gonna get changed and go for a run. Shouldn’t be too long. Dad will be home in an hour, okay?’

I nodded. ‘Thanks, Darren.’

‘Hey,’ he said, placing a hand on my shoulder. ‘You’re my baby brother, right? Gotta look out for you.’

It was as close to saying ‘I love you’ as anyone in my family was likely to get. The anger I’d felt in my chest was replaced with a different sort of pain, and I thought I might cry. That would probably have been one step too far. Darren might not make fun of me now, but he’d take the piss out of me tomorrow, relentlessly so.

I closed my eyes again, heard Darren move about the room, changing his clothes. I heard him leave, and as soon as the front door slammed shut, the tears came. Ugly, hot, painful tears, and I sobbed out loud, turned over on my stomach, screamed into my pillow.

‘Stop it, you baby, stop it!’ My voice broke, and I fell into silent sobs, my body shaking with the effort of shutting up.

As I drifted off to sleep again, a new memory floated through my mind, turning into dream. Warm arms around me, a voice whispering, ‘Hush, it’s all right. I love you, baby. Mummy’s here.’

I missed Mum, more than ever.

My brothers had real memories of our mother. I was only five when she left, and my memories were hazy at best. No one had ever told me why she left. Perhaps they didn’t even know. She’d left a letter for each of her sons, and just a short note for my dad. I’d tried to read the letter, but at five it didn’t make much sense to me. I kept it, though. George burned his. Not sure what Darren did. The note to dad read simply:

 

I’m leaving. Don’t come after me. I can’t take it anymore, and I need to go my own way. It’s not really your fault. Take care of the boys. Especially Lawrence.

Abigail Saunderson

 

She’d signed using her maiden name. The divorce papers arrived in the mail a year later. Dad signed them immediately, and that was the last we’d heard from her.

* * *

I was right that George didn’t care as much. He made fun of me, when he got home, coming into my room and saying, ‘Letting yourself get knocked out by a stomach bug like some faggot. Grow a pair!’ Dad chastised him, though, and he didn’t say anything else.

The next morning, Dad was ready to call school and say I was staying home, but I said I wanted to go. Then, when I was about to leave home, I started to shake again, and ran into the bathroom. I sat on the toilet for a long time, rocking back and forth, sobbing. I felt sick. In the end it was easy to stick my fingers down my throat.

Dad called school, and I stayed home.

Later, much later, I would recognise these moments as panic attacks. At the time, I hated myself for being so weak. And I hated myself more for thinking about Daniel. Every time I let my mind wander, every time I was falling asleep, there he was, his long, slender back as I pushed him up against the tiles of the shower. Only in my thoughts, in my dreams, he kissed me after. And before. And he smiled at me. Daniel had never smiled at me.

Whenever I awoke, I was rock hard, and in the end, the third time, I gave in.

* * *

Wednesday, I went back to school. I felt like a zombie. I ignored Daniel any time I saw him, pushing him out of my mind like a bad dream. At dinner, I listened to Alec and Jason’s inane chatter, agreeing with whatever they were saying whenever they addressed me. In the end, though, I got tired of their company. I dumped my tray and went meandering through the corridors, not really thinking of where I was going, just wanting to be alone.

I was very annoyed, therefore, when someone said my name. ‘Loz!’ I turned towards the voice. Mr. Griffiths stuck his head out of his office door, smiling his good-natured smile. I stopped myself from scowling. ‘Come in here for a minute, please. I’d like a little chat, if you don’t mind.’

I did mind, but he was a teacher, so I simply shrugged and went inside.

Griffiths bade me sit down and offered me a biscuit from a tin in his bookshelf. I thought I might as well, and took one.

He didn’t waste time on any other pleasantries. ‘So, Monday was very unlike you, wasn’t it?’ It was a rhetorical question. ‘Never known you to be a bully, Loz. But then, I gather you weren’t feeling all that well? You left school without even telling anyone.’

I cleared my throat. ‘Er, yeah. I was sick. Stomach bug or something.’

‘Sorry to hear it.’ His blue eyes were penetrating, his look unreadable. ‘If you don’t mind my saying, though, you’ve seemed a bit off colour for a while. I feel like you’re no longer applying yourself in my lessons. You’ve always been a superior athlete, Loz. I hate to see you begin to lag now.’ He paused. I said nothing. ‘I hope you know you can always talk to me if there’s anything that’s bothering you. Or you can speak to the counsellor, or the nurse. Is there anything you’d like to tell me?’

I shook my head, remaining impassive. ‘No, sir.’

Griffiths’s mobile phone rang just then, and he looked at it. ‘Sorry, I have to take this,’ he said. ‘Let’s continue this conversation later, yeah? You can let yourself out.’ He answered the phone. ‘Hello?’ Getting up from his desk, he turned towards a bookshelf.

I stood up, and then I saw the folder lying open on his desk. It was a list of my classmates; names, addresses, and phone numbers to students and their parents, in alphabetical order. H. Hartman, Daniel. Throwing a quick glance at Griffiths, I pulled my phone out of my pocket and quickly photographed Daniel’s entry. Then I left.

Copyright © 2016-2019 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 28
  • Love 3
  • Wow 3
  • Sad 4
  • Angry 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

It appears that I never actually made one of these for this story, but since people seem to like it, I'm making one now, in case anyone's interested in discussing it or whatever.     Summary: When fourteen-year-old Daniel and his mother are kicked out by his stepfather, they have to move to a housing estate in a different part of town, and Daniel has to change schools. He has a hard time making friends, and it only gets worse when one of his classmates takes a rather unhealthy in
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

5 hours ago, jaysalmn said:

I kno Loz has a lot of problems, but he needs to be stopped. I hope Daniel finds enough trust in Michael to tell him who's hurting him. Daniel doesn't deserve what Loz is doing to him. 

 

He really doesn't. Poor Daniel. Thank you for taking the time to comment!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Yeah the fact that Loz is not only forcing his version of reality but so much so that he cannot acknowledge any alternate realities is extremely disturbing. I think I'll let the struggles play out because these feeeeelinggsss!

  • Like 5
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Nancer said:

Yeah the fact that Loz is not only forcing his version of reality but so much so that he cannot acknowledge any alternate realities is extremely disturbing. I think I'll let the struggles play out because these feeeeelinggsss!

 

I think the key phrase I put into this chapter was, 'How could I ever look at him again, after what we’d done?' After what we had done. Loz doesn't quite yet understand how he is forcing himself on Daniel. In his mind, Daniel is just as responsible for this as he is. Which, of course, is utter bollocks.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I don't have a shred of sympathy for people like Loz, and he deserves whatever is coming his way.  Doing all that, and still not taking responsibility for any of it, and blaming Daniel for "making him queer" on top of it, that's just disgusting.  I can't wait for Michael to find out about this and put a stop to it, especially now that Loz knows where Daniel lives.  Who knows what he's going to do with this information?

 

I'm really curious about that conversation with the coach, though, that mention of Loz being a bully was a bit odd.  I think the coach suspects something's going on between Loz and Daniel, and he's trying to get the parents involved.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Loz is most definitely in the wrong by the horrible things he is doing to Daniel, but I think he is in desperate need of help.

Not sure where that help will come from - Mr Griffiths, Michael, his Dad - but it's going to take a long time to sort him out.

 

Daniel, as the actual victim, will also need help and I'm sure Michael will be involved.

 

A great story @Thorn Wilde.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Howzat said:

Loz is most definitely in the wrong by the horrible things he is doing to Daniel, but I think he is in desperate need of help.

Not sure where that help will come from - Mr Griffiths, Michael, his Dad - but it's going to take a long time to sort him out.

 

Daniel, as the actual victim, will also need help and I'm sure Michael will be involved.

 

A great story @Thorn Wilde.

 

Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it, in spite of the grim subject matter. Also good to see someone who has a marginally less damning opinion of Loz, though I quite understand that people hate him. I'm not too fond of him either, at the moment.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Thorn Wilde said:

 

Thank you. I'm glad you're enjoying it, in spite of the grim subject matter. Also good to see someone who has a marginally less damning opinion of Loz, though I quite understand that people hate him. I'm not too fond of him either, at the moment.

 

Thank you @Thorn Wilde - I feel sorry for Loz as he is a victim too, but of a different kind to Daniel. Not that I'm in anyway defending what Loz has been doing to Michael.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

In your response to Howzat you said, "I'm not too fond of him at the moment". speaking of Loz. That implies to me that your readers and you might become more fond of him in the future, possibly because of some change in attitude or behavior on Loz' part. That is encouraging as Daniel needs as many friends as possible if he is going to recover physically and psychologically from his present depressive state. 

Excellent writing with much characterization and creativity, Thorn.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Will Hawkins said:

In your response to Howzat you said, "I'm not too fond of him at the moment". speaking of Loz. That implies to me that your readers and you might become more fond of him in the future, possibly because of some change in attitude or behavior on Loz' part. That is encouraging as Daniel needs as many friends as possible if he is going to recover physically and psychologically from his present depressive state. 

Excellent writing with much characterization and creativity, Thorn.

 

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words.

Loz is not an entirely lost cause, I think. I have plans for him. :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

You manage to make my feelings toward Loz as turbulent as he is.  He definitely needs help, but is he there yet? I don’t think so. In the interim, Daniel pays the price. I hope Loz does not go unchecked for too long.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
13 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

You manage to make my feelings toward Loz as turbulent as he is.  He definitely needs help, but is he there yet? I don’t think so. In the interim, Daniel pays the price. I hope Loz does not go unchecked for too long.  

 

You’re not wrong. In the words of Sigmund Freud, Loz has issues. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Ah, damn ... I was stupidly hoping Loz hadn't raped Daniel that day. I thought he had only beaten Danny. Although Michael suspected it, and there were clear signs of the abuse ... My heart weeps, although not for Loz. There are some lines you cannot cross. I'm not one to say whether some people deserve or not a second chance, but I have a tough time finding room for any forgiveness for Loz. But I am looking forward to all your plans for this character.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Laura S. Fox said:

Ah, damn ... I was stupidly hoping Loz hadn't raped Daniel that day. I thought he had only beaten Danny. Although Michael suspected it, and there were clear signs of the abuse ... My heart weeps, although not for Loz. There are some lines you cannot cross. I'm not one to say whether some people deserve or not a second chance, but I have a tough time finding room for any forgiveness for Loz. But I am looking forward to all your plans for this character.

What Loz did it pretty much unforgivable, no question, and I don’t blame you at all for reacting this way. Loz is a really messed up kid.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I am surprised at myself, to find myself standing on the other side of the street from most of your commenters about Loz. I feel he needs help just as much as does Dan, but in a homeopathic family such as his, is far less likely to get it. Dan will get help from Bear, but there is nobody to help Loz. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Will Hawkins said:

I am surprised at myself, to find myself standing on the other side of the street from most of your commenters about Loz. I feel he needs help just as much as does Dan, but in a homeopathic family such as his, is far less likely to get it. Dan will get help from Bear, but there is nobody to help Loz. 

Loz does indeed need help. It's very sad. Thanks for commenting!

Link to comment
23 hours ago, Millevenon said:

Lolz needs a quick death 

I wonder if you'll still feel this way as you keep reading... Thanks for commenting. :) 

Link to comment
On 10/16/2018 at 4:24 PM, Shadow086 said:

I don't have a shred of sympathy for people like Loz,

 

On 1/21/2019 at 12:23 AM, Laura S. Fox said:

I have a tough time finding room for any forgiveness for Loz.

 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:05 PM, Millevenon said:

Lolz needs a quick death 

If Loz had not said, "Later, much later, I would recognise these moments as panic attacks." I seriously imagined he might kill himself. Forgiveness may not be easy, it is much easier to condemn, but there is good in everyone. I rather think saving or condemning Loz rests with the victim, Daniel.

Link to comment

I find it interesting how it wasn’t immediately clear Loz raped Daniel until this chapter. Sure we all could have our suspicions but only Loz’s thoughts really admitted it. The teacher’s comments seemed out of place. Like, he flat out called him a bully but that’s it and let him leave ..as in he doesn’t know about the rape. I’m sure it’ll all become clearer down the road

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..