Jump to content
    Thorn Wilde
    • Author
  • 6,742 Words
  • 2,835 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Hubris - 3. Craig

I'm sure no one expected Craig's backstory to be full of puppies and sunshine, but just in case, WARNING: This story contains rape, suicide and massive amounts of angst!

Part One:

Father

The doorbell rang twice, and Paul Spencer got out of his armchair to go see who it was. He was a carpenter in his fifties, on early retirement due to a back injury. He shuffled down the hall in his slippers. The walls were covered in photographs of himself, his late wife and their son. Paul pulled the front door open.

On the doorstep stood two policemen.

‘Mr. Spencer?’ asked the taller of the two.

‘Yes?’ said Paul, squinting at the sunlight. He pushed his glasses up his nose.

‘We’re looking for your son, Craig Spencer,’ said the shorter policeman, taking off his hat. ‘You wouldn’t happen to know where he is, by any chance?’

Paul narrowed his eyes. He turned his head and glanced back down the hall towards the sitting room.

‘What do you want with him?’ he asked, slowly.

‘Never you mind,’ said the taller policeman, but the shorter one put a hand on his shoulder to silence him.

‘Sir, some accusations have been made against your son. We would like to bring him in for questioning,’ he said.

Paul had always seen himself as a law-abiding citizen. He believed in order and honesty. So he nodded. ‘Craig’s in the sitting room,’ he said. ‘Come in.’

The two policemen followed Paul down the hall into the sitting room. Craig sat reclined in a chair, a glass of cheap whisky in one hand. He looked blearily up at the officers, blinking a few times. He cleared his throat and said, ‘I thought you’d turn up sooner or later.’

‘Are you Craig Spencer?’ asked the shorter policeman.

‘I am,’ Craig slurred. He tried to stand up, but had some trouble hoisting himself out of the chair. He looked like he hadn’t showered in a couple of days. His dark hair was greasy and his face was stubbled.

‘In that case, we would like to bring you in for questioning regarding the assault of Nicholas Davis of Windfield Green,’ said the policeman.

‘’S not true, not a word of it,’ Craig slurred, draining his glass. ‘B’sides, kid had it coming. Little bugger . . . Queer, you know. Queer and—’

The policeman interrupted him. ‘You are under arrest on suspicion of sexual assault on a minor. You do not have to say anything, but it may harm your defence if you do not mention when questioned something which you later rely on in court. Anything you do say may be given in evidence.’

Craig fell silent. He blinked, took a few deep breaths, and finally pulled himself to his feet. He swayed for a moment where he stood. Then he looked at the police officers. ‘All right, then,’ he said grimly. ‘Let’s do this.’

Paul watched as the two policemen escorted his son out of the house to a waiting police car. He sighed and closed the door. He would follow later.


Part Two:

Boy

‘Look! I’m Mummy!’ Anthony laughed, shuffling out of his mother’s bedroom in shoes far too big for him. They were red, pointy and high-heeled. He wore a large, purple hat with a floral pattern, from under which a few blond curls were visible, and a green handbag swung from his elbow. His hazel eyes sparkled.

Craig laughed, too. He thought his friend looked very silly indeed.

He had had an excellent afternoon at Anthony’s house. They had watched cartoons and played hide and seek, and Anthony’s mum had cooked spaghetti for tea. Then Anthony had decided that they should play dress up, and his mother had told them they could use any clothes they liked, so long as they didn’t ruin anything.

‘Your turn!’ said Anthony happily. ‘It’s no fun if you don’t get dressed up, too!’

‘I dunno . . .’ Craig shuffled his feet. ‘It’s getting late. I think my mum will be here soon.’

‘Oh, come on!’ Anthony pouted, and Craig found himself unable to say no.

Anthony found him a pink blouse and a blue chiffon scarf, and got to work dressing him. Last, he went over to his mother’s vanity table and picked out some lipstick in a violent shade of red. He smeared some onto his own lips, smacking them and examining his reflection, before turning to Craig.

‘The final touch!’ he said dramatically, and advanced on him. ‘Do like this.’ He pursed his lips.

‘Are we really allowed?’ asked Craig.

‘’Course, I do this all the time!’ said Anthony dismissively. And so Craig did as he was asked.

While Anthony applied the lipstick, the doorbell rang downstairs. ‘Guess your mum’s here,’ said Anthony. ‘Smack your lips.’

Craig did. Then there were footsteps on the stairs, and Anthony’s mum called, ‘Craig? Your dad’s here!’

Craig stiffened, eyes widening. Dad? But it was supposed to be Mum!

He began to frantically remove the scarf and blouse, not even sure why he was in such a hurry to get them off, but then the door creaked, and he turned around.

Anthony’s mum let out a squeal of delight. ‘Look at you two! Really, though, Anthony, the ruby? I’ve told you before, you can use the peach or the rose, but not the ruby!’

Behind her stood Craig’s stepfather, Paul, his face frozen in a thin-lipped smile that in no way reached his eyes. Craig tried not to look at him, as he finished removing the pink blouse. A moment later, Anthony’s mum was on her knees before him with some tissue paper, wiping away the lipstick. ‘There’s that handsome face!’ she said smilingly, stroking Craig’s cheek with her thumb. ‘Come back soon, all right?’

* * *

‘You are not going back there,’ Paul told him sternly once they were in the car. Craig nodded and looked away as the man continued. ‘The nerve of that woman, letting her son dress you up like a bleeding nancy! It’s enough to make you sick . . . And you probably shouldn’t play with that Anthony anymore. Way he carries on, it’s obvious, isn’t it? No wonder with a mother like that, though. Boy obviously needs a father figure.’

Craig sighed and gazed out of the window. Anthony was one of his best friends. He didn’t want to stop playing with him. He wasn’t about to say that, though, so instead he said, ‘Where’s Mum?’

‘She had to work late at the hospital,’ said Paul, as the car rolled to a halt at a red light. There was a short pause. Then, ‘Tell you what,’ said Paul, ‘how about we stop for ice cream on the way home, hm?’

Craig turned to look at Paul again. The man was smiling kindly at him, and Craig smiled back. ‘Yes, please!’ he said.

* * *

Craig woke up with a fierce need to pee some time around midnight and crawled out of his bed. He padded down the hall to the bathroom. He was on his way back to bed when he heard voices from inside his parents’ bedroom. He stopped outside and peeked through the crack in the door. Paul was sitting on the bed in his dressing gown, while Craig’s mother was unbuttoning her cardigan.

‘. . . And I don’t think Craig should be going over to that Anthony’s house anymore,’ Paul was saying. ‘I think he’s a bad influence. Him and his mother.’

‘Angela?’ asked Mum. ‘I think she’s lovely. In what way is she a bad influence?’ She pulled off the cardigan, folding it neatly, and got to work on the buttons of her blouse.

‘She’s just very . . . liberal. Allows her son too much freedom. When I arrived her son was behaving very inappropriately.’

Mum laughed. ‘Inappropriately? He’s nine!’

‘Exactly! Far too old to be prancing about in his mother’s clothing wearing lipstick!’

Mum frowned at him while she unhooked her bra. Craig felt like he should be looking away, but couldn’t quite help but stare as her rather substantial bosoms tumbled out.

‘What’s worse is he was having Craig dress up, too,’ said Paul. He didn’t really sound angry. Just worried. ‘I’m sure Angela is a lovely woman, but she’s not a very good mother. It’s not normal to have your nine-year-old son wearing your lipstick.’

‘Perhaps you’re right,’ said Mum thoughtfully, pulling on her nighty. ‘I can’t really forbid Craig from playing with Anthony, though. They’ve known each other since infant school.’

‘Well, if you want your son to turn out a bloody bender, then I suppose that’s fine,’ said Paul, his patience clearly wearing thin.

‘Paul, that’s not fair,’ said Mum. ‘I’m just saying, if I forbid him, he’ll just do it anyway. There are limits to how much I can control my son’s life.’

‘At least tell me you won’t let him go to his house anymore.’

‘Fine,’ said Mum. ‘No more after school visits to Anthony’s house. I promise.’

Craig looked down at his hands. He liked Anthony. He’d always liked Anthony. Anthony was funny and kind, and very very sweet. Craig had often, secretly, thought that if Anthony had been a girl he might have been very much in love with him.

With a sigh, Craig shuffled back to his bedroom and crawled into bed. He lay awake for a long time, thinking about Anthony.

* * *

Craig would remember that day for the rest of his life. It wasn’t the sort of thing one could easily forget. He was at school. His mother was late picking him up. The school had tried ringing her, but there had been no reply. Then they had tried ringing Paul, who hadn’t answered either.

Now there was a commotion by the entrance, however, and Paul came rushing in, his duffel coat billowing behind him, and a wide-eyed, scared look on his face. Craig’s heart sank. There was something wrong. He could tell.

Paul apologised to the school staff, and then caught sight of Craig where he sat. He rushed over and dropped to his knees before him. His hands shook.

‘There’s . . . Something’s happened,’ he managed. ‘It’s . . . Darla . . . Your mum, she . . .’ He cleared his throat and blinked several times. ‘I’m sorry. She’s in hospital. There was a traffic accident.’

They rushed to the hospital. Mum was in surgery for twelve hours.

She passed away from sudden cardiac arrest at 4:02 am.

At the funeral, Craig stood by the grave thinking, If she hadn’t been picking me up, she’d still be alive.

* * *

Craig’s real father had passed away before Craig was born, and both sets of grandparents were also gone, so Paul was the only family he had left. Thankfully, he was already his legal guardian, which made things easier. Not easy, but easier.

Craig called Paul ‘Dad’ to his face, but ‘Paul’ in his head. That’s the way it had always been. But they got along very well, and while Paul could be stern when the occasion called for it, he took every opportunity to spoil Craig by buying him treats, and taking him out to the cinema or to amusement parks, or for drives in the country. He took him to rugby matches regularly, and always made sure they had ample guy-time together.

None of this changed after Mum died. If anything, Paul made sure they had even more time to spend together, and though money was occasionally tight, Paul earned enough from his carpentry to give Craig a comfortable and safe upbringing. Paul never married again.

A few months after Craig’s mum had died, Anthony and his mother moved away from town. Craig had been spending less time with Anthony, at Paul’s request, making up excuses whenever Anthony invited him to his house. The day before he left, however, Anthony cornered him after class.

‘I just wanted to tell you,’ said Anthony, ‘I think I know why you haven’t wanted to play with me lately . . . Other than the stuff with your mum and everything, I mean. And I wanted you to know that I’m gonna fix it. That’s why we’re going to America, cause there’s something wrong with me and we’re gonna fix me. So . . .’ He trailed off and gazed at his shoes.

‘I don’t think there’s anything wrong with you!’ Craig blurted. ‘I like you the way you are . . .’

Anthony looked up quickly and blushed crimson, a slow smile spreading over his lips. ‘Well, I don’t,’ he said softly. ‘I don’t like me. There’s bits you can’t see that . . . well. It’s gonna get better. And maybe I’ll come back one day and you’ll see.’

Standing before Anthony now, looking at his sweet, earnest face and faced with those wide eyes, Craig forgot all his reservations, all the reasons he wasn’t meant to play with the other boy. They just slipped away, and it felt like not seeing Anthony at school every day, not seeing his smile, would make a hole inside him.

‘Won’t you write?’ asked Craig, rather desperately.

Anthony shook his head. ‘No,’ he said. ‘If I’m gonna change . . . I need to not talk to people who knew me before for a while. I’ll miss you, though. You’re the only thing I will miss.’

It was Craig’s time to blush now. ‘Really?’ he asked weakly, and Anthony nodded. ‘Well, I’ll miss you too.’ It sounded lame, but he really did mean it.

‘I know,’ said Anthony. He looked around, as if to make sure no one else was about, and then he stood up on tiptoe and kissed Craig on the cheek. ‘Goodbye, Craig,’ he whispered. Then he turned and walked away.


Part Three:

Girl

‘Pathetic, letting the Welsh smash us like that! Shameful,’ Paul grumbled. ‘England’s going downhill when we can’t even beat a bunch of bloody sheep—’ He cut himself off and smiled apologetically at Craig. ‘No matter. More popcorn?’

‘Yeah, cheers, Dad,’ said Craig, grinning, knowing exactly what Paul had been about to say, and Paul picked up the empty bowl and sauntered off to the kitchen.

Craig pulled his legs up under him, turning his attention to the telly. It was September, and Craig had been seventeen for three weeks. Tomorrow was the first day of his final year of college. Craig had always been a big kid, but over summer he had filled out even more. He’d had a summer job helping out at Paul’s carpentry business, which had involved a lot of heavy lifting, and where he had previously been pudgy, he was now beefy. He had grown another inch or so, too, officially making him tallest in his year, unless Andy had managed the same feat.

A new programme was just starting, a documentary about night clubs. Paul came back in with a fresh bowl of popcorn, just as they showed a scene from a drag club in Brighton. Young men danced obscenely with one another as a drag artist in pink feathers performed on a stage.

‘Makes you sick, doesn’t it? Bunch of nancy boys touching each other like that,’ said Paul.

Craig nodded, somehow unable to take his eyes off the screen. He was very uncomfortable with gay people. Uncomfortable with the idea that another man might hit on him.

‘We had one of them where I grew up,’ Paul continued. ‘Bit older than me. Disgusting. Tried it with one of my mates, so we taught him a lesson. He never did anything like that again.’

‘If I was gay I’d probably kill myself,’ Craig said darkly.

Paul chuckled. ‘Lucky you’re not then, eh? Don’t you worry, son, I’ve raised you right. No chance that you’ll turn fairy, eh?’ He laughed, and Craig laughed as well. ‘Change the channel, will you?’ said Paul. He set down the popcorn on the coffee table and sat down next to Craig. ‘I think Top Gear’s on two.’

* * *

‘You ready for Kim’s party tomorrow?’ asked Andy, thumping Craig on the back. Craig looked up from his sausage and mash, grinning.

‘I still think it’s a little bit stupid to have it on a school night, but yeah, I’ll be there. Won’t everyone?’

‘Everyone with half a brain, anyway,’ said Andy, sitting down next to him. ‘It’s not really a good idea to miss the first big party event of the year, if you want to have a social life for the rest of it.’

‘True,’ said Craig, picking up his fork. Andy had been his best friend since they were eleven. They had been of the same shape and size and temper when they met, but Craig had noticed with satisfaction that he was now taller than his friend. ‘What modules are you taking this year?’ he asked casually.

‘Do we have to talk about school?’ Andy yawned demonstrably.

‘We’re at school,’ Craig pointed out.

‘Exactly! Anyway, we have more important things to talk about. Did you see the new girl?’

Craig glanced at him. ‘What new girl?’

‘The cute little blonde? You didn’t see her?’ asked Andy.

‘Apparently not. She in our year?’

‘Yeah, I think so. Either way, she is hot! Not much tits to speak of, but that face . . . Wow. And legs. You need to see her legs.’

Craig snorted a laugh and shook his head. ‘I’m sure I’ll have plenty of opportunity to check out her legs,’ he said.

‘All I’m saying is, I’d like to get in there.’

‘That doesn’t mean much. You’d do it with anything with a pulse.’

* * *

Craig met the new girl later that same day. He walked into English to find her at a desk by the window. The seat next to hers was free, so he took it. She looked up at him as he sat down.

There was something very familiar about her. She had wide, hazel eyes and curly blonde hair. She greeted him with a shy smile.

‘Hi,’ said Craig. ‘I’m Craig.’

‘I know,’ she said. Her voice was a shimmering alto, deeper than he would have expected from someone who looked so delicate.

‘You do?’ He cocked his head to one side. ‘You, erm . . . Have we met?’

‘Once or twice,’ she replied. ‘Long time ago. I’m Tania.’

Craig racked his brain. Tania . . . He didn’t know a Tania that he could recall. ‘You look familiar, but I don’t really think I remember you,’ he said apologetically.

‘We went to school together, years ago,’ said Tania.

‘Really? I find it hard to believe I wouldn’t remember you,’ said Craig without thinking, before realising how cheesy it sounded and looking away, blushing. Tania only smiled, however.

‘I’ve changed a lot,’ she said.

Craig wondered if maybe she used to be fat, or just mousy and plain. Were that the case, it certainly hadn’t persisted. The girl before him was monstrously pretty. She was very slim and near flat chested, but that somehow only served to complete the picture. And anyway, it was her face that really set it all off. She had beautifully arched eyebrows and a small, pink mouth, and rosy cheeks.

‘We should catch up some time,’ he said lamely. Then he remembered Kimberly’s party. ‘Er, there’s a sort of party thing . . . Tomorrow night. We could, I dunno . . . go, if you like?’

‘Like, together?’

Craig shrugged. ‘Or whatever,’ he mumbled.

‘I’d love to,’ said Tania, smiling sweetly, and there was something so familiar about that smile. It made Craig feel warm inside, and she was so gorgeous, and she was going to a party with him . . .

‘Right,’ said Craig. ‘Good.’

* * *

Craig introduced Tania to all his friends at the party. He was gratified to discover that nobody else seemed to remember her either. They had a good time, dancing and drinking and laughing.

‘Oh, wow, I think I need some air!’ said Tania after a particularly up-beat song. Craig offered her his arm, and they ventured out into the back garden.

It was mostly deserted. A few smokers stood just outside the door, but Craig led Tania onwards to a bench a bit further down the garden, next to an apple tree. They sat down in silence, but it was not an uncomfortable one. When Tania looked up at him, it was as though time lost all meaning, and all Craig could do was stare.

‘You all right?’ she asked, cocking an eyebrow.

‘Oh, er . . .’ Craig cleared his throat. ‘Yeah. I’m good. You?’

‘Yeah.’ She smiled. ‘Great party!’

‘Oh, yeah, Kim’s dos are always first rate. Did you know her, back then?’

Tania shook her head. ’Not really. I didn’t really know an awful lot of people properly . . . I didn’t have a lot of friends.’

‘See, that’s so weird, cause you’re . . .’ Craig trailed off, looking away. He felt his face flush slightly.

‘What?’ Tania nudged him with her elbow, and he looked up at her. ‘I’m what?’

Spurred on by the alcohol and the clear, starry night and the look in Tania’s eyes, Craig leaned in hesitantly to place his lips on hers. It was not Craig’s first kiss, though it was the first time he had felt so nervous. He had not been misreading the signals, it seemed, because she returned the kiss. Her lips were small, but soft and pliant.

When he pulled back, he said, ‘I’ve been wanting to do that since I saw you yesterday.’

‘I know.’ There was a wicked glint in Tania’s eye, and Craig’s heart started to do double time. But then she looked away, her expression growing sort of sad.

‘What’s wrong?’ asked Craig.

‘Nothing, I just . . . It’s nothing.’ She looked up at him again, smiling. ‘I wanted you to do that since you talked to me, too.’

‘Think we could do it some more?’ asked Craig hopefully. She laughed.

‘Of course!’

* * *

‘So, this is my room.’ Craig threw his arm out lamely. Tania glanced around, at the posters of rugby-players, the Superman memorabilia, the sports car calendar above his desk and the poster of a lightly clad Shakira above his bed.

‘Rugby union or rugby league?’ asked Tania, turning to him. Craig raised an eyebrow at her. ‘Sorry, dumb question from a dumb blonde. Rugby union, obviously.’

‘You’d better believe it, missy!’

Tania laughed, and the sound somehow went straight to Craig’s groin. She sat down on his bed and looked up at him expectantly. Craig ran a hand through his dark hair, shifting his weight back and forth between his left and right foot a few times, before finally going to sit next to her.

‘So,’ she said, picking at the hem of her blue skirt.

‘So?’

‘Aren’t you going to kiss me?’

Craig did. For a really long time. Before long they were lying on the bed, legs entwined, lips locked, and Craig thought he never wanted to be anywhere else. Tania was perfect. He wanted to be with her forever.

When they finally came up for air, he asked, ‘Will you be my girlfriend?’

Tania smiled. ‘I thought I already was.’

‘I—Yeah. I mean, I really want you to be.’

‘Good. That’s settled, then.’

Craig smoothed back her curly hair and kissed her cheek. He couldn’t stop himself from grinning like an idiot. ‘My girlfriend,’ he said, the word sounding so right.

‘My boyfriend,’ she answered. She was smiling still, her cheeks flushed and her lips red from the kissing. ‘I’m so happy!’

‘Me too.’

‘I’ve never had a boyfriend before . . .’ She bit her lip. ‘I’d never even kissed anyone before yesterday . . . I feel like I’ve been waiting for you my whole life and now . . . It couldn’t feel more perfect or right.’

‘I feel the same.’

‘I’m glad.’ She leaned in and kissed him again, and the world dissolved, and all Craig could see, all he could perceive, was her, his perfect girlfriend with her perfect lips, in his arms. All his own.


Part Four:

Thing

Craig had been at home with a cold for five whole days. Five days of not seeing his friends. Five days of not seeing Tania.

They had only been together for a few weeks, but Craig was happier than he could remember ever having been before in his life. They hadn’t done it yet. Tania wanted to go slow, and he respected that. She had let him see and touch her breasts, though, which had been amazing. Perky little things, tipped with small, pink nipples. He had spent most of his five days in captivity thinking about those breasts, and the prospect of having one of those nipples between his lips.

It was with great disappointment that he found her not to be in school when he got there on Thursday morning. The morning seemed so slow and grey without Tania’s smiling face to energise him. He hadn’t spoken to her for a couple of days, either.

He found Andy between lessons. ‘Hey, dude.’

Andy leered at him. ‘So, where’s your boyfriend?’

Craig blinked. ‘Excuse me?’

‘“Tania” or whatever he calls himself?’

Craig laughed. ‘I think you’ll find that Tania’s a girl. I should know, I’ve seen her tits.’

‘Right. She-male, then. Whatever.’

Craig hesitated. If this was a joke, it wasn’t a very funny one. ‘What are you saying?’

‘Don’t tell me you don’t know!’ Andy turned away.

‘Know what?’ Craig grabbed Andy by the sleeve to stop him walking away. ‘Andy!’

Andy turned back to look at him, both eyebrows raised. ‘You really don’t know? Yesterday, “Tania” forgot to lock the door in the loo, Jenny walked in on him and saw his dick.’

‘What?’

‘I’m telling you, it’s true. It’s all over school, everyone’s heard by now. Your little “girlfriend” is a boyfriend.’

Craig stood frozen to the spot. His mouth felt dry and his heart hammered in his chest. It wasn’t true. It couldn’t be true. Tania was his perfect girlfriend, his angel! She was definitely one hundred percent a girl.

And yet, as he thought it, something clicked, and somehow he knew.

He left school, his legs moving of their own accord, carrying him up and down streets he hadn’t walked in eight years, until he stood outside a very familiar front door. He rang the doorbell.

He could hear tentative footsteps. Then the door was pulled open.

There she stood. Or rather, there he stood, and Craig felt as though his entire world was falling apart around him, because he had been here, so many times, years and years ago. And he remembered where he had seen those hazel eyes. Right where they were now.

‘Hello, Anthony,’ he said quietly.

Tania . . . no, Anthony stared back at him, wide-eyed. Her . . . His . . . cheeks were red and tear streaked. ‘Craig . . . Oh, God.’ She . . . He . . . looked away. Craig shook his head. He was having a hard time keeping his pronouns straight in his head, but he somehow felt oddly calm just then.

‘Can I come in?’ he asked.

The girl who had been Tania but wasn’t took a step back, and he stepped inside the house. Wordlessly, they went up into her room. It was as he remembered it, if a little more grown up and a bit more girly now than it had been. They stood there, for a long moment, facing each other in silence.

Tania/Anthony spoke first. ‘Craig, I—’

‘Shut up!’ Craig spat. ‘When were you gonna tell me, eh? When you were ready to fuck? What?’

‘I’m sorry!’ she whimpered. ‘I’m so, so sorry, I just . . . I was afraid, of how you’d react, that you wouldn’t want me if—’

‘If I knew you were really a boy?’

‘But I’m not a boy! I’m . . . Physically, I’m somewhere in between just now, but inside . . . I was always Tania.’

‘You’re Anthony.’

‘No.’ She shook her head. ‘I’m not. I never was, not really. I always knew, I . . .’ Tears were rolling down her cheeks now. ‘Childhood gender dysphoria rarely persists, but mine did. I always knew I was meant to be a girl. We moved to America because there I could get puberty blockers, and they’d start me on hormones much sooner than they would here.’

‘But you have a dick.’

Tania looked at him as though he’d slapped her. ‘I’m . . . I’m pre-op, yeah. I can’t get the surgery till I’m eighteen, so . . .’

‘Show me.’

She shook her head again. ‘No,’ she whispered. ‘No, I won’t.’

‘Show me!’ Craig roared, and her eyes went wide.

Her hands shook as she pushed her skirt down, letting it drop to the floor. With trembling fingers she pushed her tights down to her knees. ‘Please,’ she said softly, tears forming in her eyes. ‘I . . . This isn’t really me, this thing, it doesn’t belong on me . . . Please, don’t make me!’

He glared at her, unrelenting, clenching his fist. She closed her eyes and she pushed her knickers down over her narrow hips.

‘It . . . it’s almost useless now,’ she mumbled. ‘I don’t . . . I don’t get erections anymore. I haven’t in a long time. I mean, it takes a lot to get a reaction, and I don’t try, so . . .’

As he stared at her, at him, at that piece of flesh between his legs, Craig was filled with a blinding, white-hot rage. Before he knew what he was doing, he advanced.

He watched, as though from outside his own body, as he grabbed Tania . . . Anthony . . . by the wrists. Pushed her, him, around, onto the bed. Undid his belt. And she, he, Tania, Anthony, his girlfriend, his never boyfriend, cried the whole time, begged him not to, told him she, he, loved him, had always loved him, begged. Begged . . .

When it was over, Craig floated back inside his body, and looked down at the weeping, crumpled mess on the bed under him, still whispering, ‘Please, don’t . . . Craig . . . Please . . .’

Craig pulled back, horrified. What had he done? Pulling his trousers back on, he hurried from the room, ran outside, ran all the way home, lungs burning. He fumbled with his keys, unlocking the front door and running straight for the bathroom, where he was violently sick. Then he stared at his own reflection in the bathroom mirror. His hair was damp, plastered to his sweaty forehead. His face was white, sickly pale. He felt sick still, but there was nothing left in his stomach, nothing left to puke up. Nothing but guilt and fear and anger and pain.

He took a shower, as though that would wash it away. It didn’t. Nothing could. Nothing ever could.

* * *

Tania did not come back to school. A few days later, it was announced that she would not return, and that she was moving away. Craig passed by the house on his bicycle one day and saw that it was up for sale.

The following week, Tania’s mother showed up at school. She looked like she always had, if somewhat older. Blonde, pretty and buxom, with perfectly manicured nails and fashionable clothes. Anthony’s mum, who had been so kind and warm and cooked such good food and baked tasty cakes for parties and school events. Tania’s mum, now. What had her name been? Angela?

Craig met her in a corridor and froze. Had Tania told her what he had done? Had she come to report him?

The woman only stopped, cocked her head to one side and looked at him. Then she smiled in recognition. ‘Craig!’ she said. ‘It is Craig, isn’t it?’

He didn’t know how to respond. What would happen if he said yes?

‘Goodness, how you’ve grown! Do you remember me?’

Craig swallowed, and then nodded.

Angela took a couple of steps closer. ‘All right?’

‘Er… yeah.’ He hesitated, looking around. There was no one he knew about. ‘Is… Is she okay?’

Angela sighed. ‘As okay as she can be, I suppose. We’re leaving the day after tomorrow. I think she’s sad she didn’t get to say goodbye. I’m just here to pick up the last of her stuff and fill out some paperwork. Shall I tell her you said hi?’

Craig was filled with a mix of relief that Tania hadn’t told her mother what he had done, and disgust with himself for having done it. For the past week he had felt more self-loathing than all the moments of happiness in his life could make up for. He had barely slept. He hated Tania for making him feel this way. Hated Anthony. Hated them both because if he let himself think it, for only a moment, he would know that he had been just as in love with Anthony as he ever was with Tania. He shook the thought, forgot it as soon as it had entered his mind.

‘No,’ he said. ‘Better not. Too . . . sad.’

The older woman nodded. ‘Well, it was nice seeing you again, dear. Perhaps we’ll meet again some day.’

‘Probably not.’

‘No. Probably not.’

* * *

The next day a local paper said, 17-year-old slits wrists in bath, dies. No one asked why she had done it. It happens so frequently among gay and transgendered youth, it was said. She had caved to the pressure, been depressed because she had been discovered and not accepted, because she had to move away again. That’s what people said. It sparked an anti-bullying campaign. LGBT awareness campaigns. Acceptance campaigns. People lit candles. People sent caring, sweet letters of condolence to her mother. And no one knew, no one but Craig knew, why Tania Grant had killed herself. A month later, it had all been forgotten and everyone had gone back to their daily lives.

Craig did not go to the funeral.


Part Five:

Son

Paul walked behind Mr. Bligh down the narrow corridor. When they reached the thick steel door, a police constable nodded his head and pulled out a heavy set of keys to unlock it. Mr. Bligh stepped aside, motioning for Paul to enter.

‘I’ll be out here,’ he said. ‘Knock when you’re ready for me.’

Paul went inside. The room was cold and spartan, with only a table and three chairs. In one of the chairs sat Craig. He didn’t look a bit better than he had the day he was arrested. He was cleaner now, but his face was gaunt and stubbled and he had black circles around his eyes. His hands were not cuffed. There was no need for that, as he could not escape from the room and there was nothing in there with which he could hurt himself or anyone else.

As Paul pulled out one of the chairs opposite, Craig raised his head to look at his father.

‘Well.’ Paul folded his hands before him and looked his son in the eye. He wanted to smile at him, but it felt somehow inappropriate. ‘How do you feel?’

Craig shrugged and looked away. ‘Done.’

‘Is that all?’

‘Is there anything else I should be feeling?’

‘Anger?’ Paul suggested. ‘Disappointment, perhaps?’

‘I’ve moved through all the stages of grief. I’m already at acceptance.’

Paul nodded. ‘I’m sorry. It’s not too late to appeal, though.’

Craig looked up at him sharply. ‘Do you believe that I did it?’

‘I—’ Paul paused. He wasn’t sure how to answer that question. The evidence had been fairly damning. By the time the defence made their case it already seemed a done deal. And the testimony of the victim, that boy . . . Paul couldn’t lie to himself. Even he had believed him, as disgusted as he had been with the whole situation.

Before he could make up his mind, Craig continued. ‘I did, you know. I remember doing it, I . . . I remember, but it’s like I wasn’t really there.’ His voice was flat and impassive. Paul had perhaps expected his confession to be more passionate.

‘And it’s not the first time, you know,’ Craig went on. ‘That was the same. No control. Just . . . I was angry and I just did it.’ He smiled sardonically. ‘They’re probably gonna do it to me, aren’t they? In prison. I hear they always do, to rapists and child molesters. It’s no less than I deserve. Maybe I’ll learn to like it.’

‘Don’t say that,’ said Paul, and he wondered why he said it. ‘You’re not—’

‘Not what? Queer? No. I’m not.’ Craig laughed. It was a harsh sound, without any sort of mirth. ‘And that’s the funny thing in all this, isn’t it?’ He looked down at his hand, his expression darkening. ‘You should probably leave now, Dad. I believe I’m about to be processed.’

Paul stood up and looked down at the man he had raised as his son. He told himself he felt nothing for him but pity, but somewhere in the back of his mind was a feeling he refused to acknowledge—the feeling that perhaps he himself was not entirely blameless in this.

He turned his back on his son, knocked on the door and, when the constable on the other side opened it, left the room.

This is one of the most difficult stories I've ever had to write. Origin stories for villains are always difficult affairs, because there aren't many people on the planet who are simply bad people, and the Hannibal Lecters amongst us are few and far between. Craig is not evil. Craig is not a psychopath. Craig is a human being who, coloured by his upbringing and the values foisted upon him, has made mistakes. I hope this story did that idea justice. If you don't think it did, please tell me why.
Many thanks to Ron for giving this a beta read and giving me his honest opinion.
Copyright © 2014 Thorn Wilde; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

Playlist (YouTube)     Playlist (YouTube)     Playlist (YouTube)     Alan Matt Craig           Hubris reading order: Alan - after the final chapter of Nemesis: Because I Want You. Matt - between chapters 4 and 5 of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Craig - after chapter 8 of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Alan & Matt - after the final chapter of Nemesis: Soulmates Never Die. Patrick
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Loved it . What a great insight into to Craigs life in a way you have to fell sorry for him but there are no excuses for what he did to Anthony and Nick if he behaves himself in prison he will only do two and a half years . Not what I expected at all great chapter

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/15/2014 09:12 AM, paul.b said:
Loved it . What a great insight into to Craigs life in a way you have to fell sorry for him but there are no excuses for what he did to Anthony and Nick if he behaves himself in prison he will only do two and a half years . Not what I expected at all great chapter
I do feel very sorry for Craig. Writing this story taught me how broken and sad he really is. You're absolutely right that it doesn't excuse anything, but something somewhere inside him is cracked. That doesn't relieve him of responsibility of his actions, but it does perhaps make us hate him just a little less.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Of all the people, I didn't expect to read Craig's story. It hurt and made me sad but you did him justice, I never hated him thinking there must be something dark there pushing him to do things. Thanks for going into the trouble writing his story.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/15/2014 06:05 PM, nostic said:
Of all the people, I didn't expect to read Craig's story. It hurt and made me sad but you did him justice, I never hated him thinking there must be something dark there pushing him to do things. Thanks for going into the trouble writing his story.
Thank you for taking the time to review it. :) Like I said in my end note, there aren't a lot of evil people in the world. Mostly there's just people. I'm glad you liked the story.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm sitting here with tears running down my face b/c the whole chapter was just so sad. And you're so right; this chapter wasn't anything like "Half Jack".

 

My heart just broke for Tania. I won't call her Anthony b/c she was never meant to be Anthony; she was meant to be Tania. She was just born into the wrong body. Craig broke her. She was happy; she was on her way to becoming who she really was supposed to be: a girl and here comes Craig and in his rage and confusion and maybe even love, he destroyed her. And I think when he raped her, he destroyed himself too. And I think when she killed herself, a part of him died too.

 

And now he's all grown up and he meets this girl who has a brother who probably reminded him too much of Tania and after awhile, he just lost it. Again.

 

And yes, Paul was right, he is partially to blame.

 

Terrific chapter, Thorn. So, so sad.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/16/2014 03:50 PM, Lisa said:
I'm sitting here with tears running down my face b/c the whole chapter was just so sad. And you're so right; this chapter wasn't anything like "Half Jack".

 

My heart just broke for Tania. I won't call her Anthony b/c she was never meant to be Anthony; she was meant to be Tania. She was just born into the wrong body. Craig broke her. She was happy; she was on her way to becoming who she really was supposed to be: a girl and here comes Craig and in his rage and confusion and maybe even love, he destroyed her. And I think when he raped her, he destroyed himself too. And I think when she killed herself, a part of him died too.

 

And now he's all grown up and he meets this girl who has a brother who probably reminded him too much of Tania and after awhile, he just lost it. Again.

 

And yes, Paul was right, he is partially to blame.

 

Terrific chapter, Thorn. So, so sad.

Thank you for this review. It gave me a boost, it really did. I think one of the most dangerous things in the world for a child is a good parent with bad values. Paul was a great dad to Craig, and Craig loved him a lot, and that made it so much easier for Paul's homophobia to pass on to his son.

 

I feel really bad about what I did to Tania. She deserved better, but the story had to be told.

 

Thanks so much for your review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I have alot of the same sentiments as those above. It was a brave story to write. I love how you get to the heart of your characters and that your stories help us get there too. You're particularly talented when it comes to showing who your characters are, as well as why. Don't know if it's the psych major in me and/or just the lover of a good story, but I enjoy yours alot.

 

This one was bittersweet... It's a sad commentary on how well-intended but misguided parenting can really affect so many lives. Though, Craig should have had a better sense of right and wrong that could override his feelings of homophobia, but I guess the combination of his life experiences led him down a bad road. I am amazed when an author can make the reader feel badly for (or at least be less angry at) a character whose actions you found detestable.

 

You've left me confused as to why I feel badly for a guy who could do what he did. Shouldn't he have suffered enough regret after he caused Tania to kill herself, not to do it again? There is something so tragically wrong with Craig. Sadly, I don't think jail will go well for him and I hope he's not more of a danger when he gets out. Maybe we can see a story later on about him? Could these two horrible events lead to him finding a way to stop hating himself....and those who make him feel things he doesn't think he should?

 

Tania was such a sad character. That was the hardest part. That innocense and big heart. The scene where Anthony says goodbye was so sad. But, there was such heart in Tania and love from a parent that embaced their child as is. I wish her end had been different and that Craig had been different b/c maybe it could have been different. It made me sad to think of others who may choose to die b/c of how they are treated for being 'different.' If only people could be more tolerant. great work.. it will definitely make people think!

  • Love 2
Link to comment
On 01/19/2014 03:48 AM, Cannd said:
I have alot of the same sentiments as those above. It was a brave story to write. I love how you get to the heart of your characters and that your stories help us get there too. You're particularly talented when it comes to showing who your characters are, as well as why. Don't know if it's the psych major in me and/or just the lover of a good story, but I enjoy yours alot.

 

This one was bittersweet... It's a sad commentary on how well-intended but misguided parenting can really affect so many lives. Though, Craig should have had a better sense of right and wrong that could override his feelings of homophobia, but I guess the combination of his life experiences led him down a bad road. I am amazed when an author can make the reader feel badly for (or at least be less angry at) a character whose actions you found detestable.

 

You've left me confused as to why I feel badly for a guy who could do what he did. Shouldn't he have suffered enough regret after he caused Tania to kill herself, not to do it again? There is something so tragically wrong with Craig. Sadly, I don't think jail will go well for him and I hope he's not more of a danger when he gets out. Maybe we can see a story later on about him? Could these two horrible events lead to him finding a way to stop hating himself....and those who make him feel things he doesn't think he should?

 

Tania was such a sad character. That was the hardest part. That innocense and big heart. The scene where Anthony says goodbye was so sad. But, there was such heart in Tania and love from a parent that embaced their child as is. I wish her end had been different and that Craig had been different b/c maybe it could have been different. It made me sad to think of others who may choose to die b/c of how they are treated for being 'different.' If only people could be more tolerant. great work.. it will definitely make people think!

Thank you so much for this review. I really hope this story will make people think.

 

You say that you feel Craig should have had a better sense of right and wrong. But where do we get our sense of right and wrong if not from our parents? It's interesting that you mention Tania's mum. There's a parallel there, between a parent who loves their child and also accepts them for who they are and a parent who loves their child just as much but doesn't trust their child to figure out who they are for themselves. It was so important to Paul that Craig didn't turn out gay (which he isn't) that he had to make it clear whenever he could how unacceptable that would be. Angela just wanted Tania to be happy. But they both loved their respective children very much, they both doted on them, looked after them to the best of their abilities and were very close with them.

 

There's a very harmful myth that says that children who have been abused often become abusers when they grow up. This isn't true at all. In fact, children who have been abused are far less likely than others to become abusive, and are often kinder and more considerate of others than those who have had normal childhoods. Likewise, I theorise that a child who is taught negative values by parents who mistreat them are far less likely to adopt those values than someone who was treated well by their parents. I know I'd be more likely to adopt values taught to me by someone who loved me and cared for me.

 

Not sure where I'm going with this response. :P Thank you so much for leaving such a long review. I'm glad you got so much out of this story!

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It took me a long time to work up the courage to read this. But I have to say that it was worth it. In fact it explained one of the great mysteries of Nemesis: why Zöe would ever date Craig ? If he was really bad, she'd never have been attracted to him. But he isn't evil, even if he did some extremely repulsive things. Which he'll pay for the rest of his life (as I have the feeling he'll never make it out of prison or maybe only just before he does himself in). And I'm not saying there is any excuse for what he did and especially not to Josh, who had no part in the original mess which shaped Craig. Just that suddenly things make sense.

He reminds me of the bad guy in the book Lolita, who is always held up as the selfish pedophile of classical literature. Which he is, but in the book his background history is a tragic love story from his early teens. The girl he loves dies, and they were prevented from consumating their love on the moonlit beach by two old men who happen past and casually drop a few nasty comments. So he was never able to move on from loving young girls.

Both of them needed help but were too scared and stupid and macho to get it, and the bad stuff grew to consume them and the poor people who came in touch with them. But to me that is less evil and scary than ruthless guys (including psycopats) who are totally devoid of emphatic feelings for others.

You are very brave to write this story and it shows what a clever and versatile author you are, that you can create even those few moments of feeling sorry for Craig in between all the disgust we have for his actions. I salute you Thorn. :worship:

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
On 03/23/2014 12:20 AM, Timothy M. said:
It took me a long time to work up the courage to read this. But I have to say that it was worth it. In fact it explained one of the great mysteries of Nemesis: why Zöe would ever date Craig ? If he was really bad, she'd never have been attracted to him. But he isn't evil, even if he did some extremely repulsive things. Which he'll pay for the rest of his life (as I have the feeling he'll never make it out of prison or maybe only just before he does himself in). And I'm not saying there is any excuse for what he did and especially not to Josh, who had no part in the original mess which shaped Craig. Just that suddenly things make sense.

He reminds me of the bad guy in the book Lolita, who is always held up as the selfish pedophile of classical literature. Which he is, but in the book his background history is a tragic love story from his early teens. The girl he loves dies, and they were prevented from consumating their love on the moonlit beach by two old men who happen past and casually drop a few nasty comments. So he was never able to move on from loving young girls.

Both of them needed help but were too scared and stupid and macho to get it, and the bad stuff grew to consume them and the poor people who came in touch with them. But to me that is less evil and scary than ruthless guys (including psycopats) who are totally devoid of emphatic feelings for others.

You are very brave to write this story and it shows what a clever and versatile author you are, that you can create even those few moments of feeling sorry for Craig in between all the disgust we have for his actions. I salute you Thorn. :worship:

Wow! Thank you so much for this! It means the world to get a review like this. I started writing this story before I finished Nemesis, because I wanted to know Craig better and see if I could understand him. Really, it's thanks to this story that I managed to insert some moments of humanity for him into the original story, such as the scene at the hospital. Craig is broken. He has so many unresolved issues and no way of knowing how to fix them.

 

I think he will get out of prison, and I don't think he has the courage to off himself. I think he'll spend a lot of time in therapy, probably at the very least twice-weekly sessions as an outpatient of a psychiatric care facility. He may be put on medication, and then he'll throw himself into his work. He'll move up north or down south, stay far away from the area in which these horrible things happened, and try to find some kind of way to live wit himself, if only just.

 

Again, thank you for this review! It means a lot. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wooooow honestly I did not expect this and it is so real! I'm still processing the whole thing, especially Tania, but it killed me inside a bit knowing how real that aspect of the story frequently is.

 

Thank you for telling this story!

Edited by Nancer
  • Love 2
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Nancer said:

Wooooow honestly I did not expect this and it is so real! I'm still processing the whole thing, especially Tania, but it killed me inside a bit knowing how real that aspect of the story frequently is.

 

Thank you for telling this story!

 

Thank you for reading it. It's probably one of the most difficult and painful things I have ever written. I had to take a lot of breaks, and by the end of it I was pretty much crying and hating myself. I felt like it was a story that needed to be told, though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for writing this story.

Paul has failed Craig by not getting him to see a counsellor after his mother was killed.

Paul should have also seen a counsellor himself to not only help him deal with the loss of his wife, but to be a support for Craig and dealing with the loss of his second parent.

I don’t think that putting Craig in jail is the right answer either because he seriously needs help to understand his actions as to why he did what he did to both Tania and Nick, he needs counselling and I doubt very much that he will get that in jail and after he is realised it maybe to late as he will have dwelled on what he has done for years.  The world we live in still has a strong culture of toxic masculinity and that is destroying our men as a lot of men don’t talk about their issues as it is often seen as your being either weak or a wimp, instead of telling guys to toughen up, we need to be able to talk openly about things, instead of just filing it away and not be dealt with. I think that if more guys talk about themselves and seek help when they need it there maybe less rape, aggression and alcoholism.

A lot of our issues come from ignorance and religious propaganda,

religion and the guilt that is associated with it has a lot to answer for as it has created of lot of this mess that we are in and the sooner that people wake up to that fact the better off we will be. 

  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
On 12/11/2018 at 11:50 AM, Bft said:

Thanks for writing this story.

Paul has failed Craig by not getting him to see a counsellor after his mother was killed.

Paul should have also seen a counsellor himself to not only help him deal with the loss of his wife, but to be a support for Craig and dealing with the loss of his second parent.

I don’t think that putting Craig in jail is the right answer either because he seriously needs help to understand his actions as to why he did what he did to both Tania and Nick, he needs counselling and I doubt very much that he will get that in jail and after he is realised it maybe to late as he will have dwelled on what he has done for years.  The world we live in still has a strong culture of toxic masculinity and that is destroying our men as a lot of men don’t talk about their issues as it is often seen as your being either weak or a wimp, instead of telling guys to toughen up, we need to be able to talk openly about things, instead of just filing it away and not be dealt with. I think that if more guys talk about themselves and seek help when they need it there maybe less rape, aggression and alcoholism.

A lot of our issues come from ignorance and religious propaganda,

religion and the guilt that is associated with it has a lot to answer for as it has created of lot of this mess that we are in and the sooner that people wake up to that fact the better off we will be. 

I'm so sorry, I didn't see this comment when it was posted!

You're very right about toxic masculinity. It's a huge problem that many men aren't taught to deal with their feelings in any other manner than aggression. That said, I don't think that absolves anyone of guilt, so I do think that going to prison was warranted. He will likely receive counselling as well.

Thanks so much for commenting! :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

That was a seriously tough read. I didn't really like Craig in Nemesis and now I like him even less. I see where and how things went wrong but i can't accept that as any kind of excuse for his actions. Was there any remorse, seemed like he was more relieved Tania never said anything and now never will. Got away clean then did it again. And I don't believe that any of Pauls' homophobic attitude was in any way responsible for making him a rapist. I'm glad he's in prison and I hope he someones' bitch by now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
16 minutes ago, Goodie said:

That was a seriously tough read. I didn't really like Craig in Nemesis and now I like him even less. I see where and how things went wrong but i can't accept that as any kind of excuse for his actions. Was there any remorse, seemed like he was more relieved Tania never said anything and now never will. Got away clean then did it again. And I don't believe that any of Pauls' homophobic attitude was in any way responsible for making him a rapist. I'm glad he's in prison and I hope he someones' bitch by now.

It's not an excuse, not by any means. But I still feel kind of sorry for him, in spite of it all. Internalised homophobia is such a destructive thing. This story was never meant to make him seem like a better person, but it was meant to make him more human. More complex. Thanks for reading it despite the subject matter, and for taking the time to comment. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..