Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 5,757 Words
  • 4,895 Views
  • 35 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Clueless Camping - 12. Confrontation and control

Guess who’s back!
Dedicated to Kitt and all the other caring and protective Moms on GA.

When Chris, Evan and I got to the airport, Mom and Kristin’s flight had landed ten minutes earlier, but there were still five minutes until baggage arrival started. We took up positions in the same place where Jacob and I had waited for Evan and Chris, and this time my twin was the jittery one. I saw Chris put a calming hand on the back of Evan’s neck, which lessened the fierce grip he had on my hand. As the minutes went by I noticed Chris developing a tense cast to his shoulders and face.

Pulling Evan with me, so that he ended up in Chris’ arms, I sidled around to my future brother-in-law’s other side and tapped his shoulder. He tilted his head towards me even as he gave Evan a fierce hug.

“Mom’s gonna love you, Chris.” I couldn’t believe I was reassuring this older, more confident, clever guy, but he seemed to appreciate it.

“Yeah?” He smiled at me, and some of the tension left his shoulders.

“Oh, definitely. She’ll take one look at the way you protect Evan, and approve. Then she’ll watch how you tolerate and handle my excitable, hot-headed, talkative, overeager twin, and she’ll love you forever.”

“Thanks, Russell.” Chris smirked at Evan who did his adorable pout at the both of us.

“I’m NOT hot-headed! I keep my temper under control even in the face of extreme provocation.”

“You’ll notice he doesn’t deny the other three epithets,” I observed, and Chris chuckled.

Before Evan could come up with a suitable retort, I saw Kristin and our mother exit the doors from the arrival hall.

“Mom, Mom!” I took off with a shout, but managed to contain myself until they had gotten past the milling crowd of passengers and people waiting. As soon as she let go of her suitcase and handbag I was in her arms, hugging her fiercely. I felt Mom’s tears on the side of my neck as she clutched me just as hard.

“Oh my sweet boy, I’m so glad you’re well. Let me look at you.” She pulled back and used one hand to wipe her wet cheeks, while staring at my face. I couldn’t help noticing Mom looked older, tired and less calm than she normally did, and somehow I didn’t think it was simply due to jetlag and no make-up. A small voice of guilt whispered that it was all my fault, but I managed to ignore it. Mom’s happy smile helped.

“Oh Russell, you’re looking wonderfully fit and cheerful. Being in Denmark has transformed you once more. I can’t wait to see Jacob and thank him for everything he’s done for you. And I’m proud of you for dealing so well with everything that’s happened.”

I blushed and wanted to sink into the ground, but my mom saved me by switching her gaze to Evan and Chris. She instinctively knew how much I hated being the focus of praise and attention.

“And I’m just as eager to meet the man who tamed my wild son. He must be made of stern stuff.”

“Aaaaw Mom,” Evan wailed indignantly, while Chris and my sister burst out laughing. Kristin had obviously become introduced to our future brother-in-law while Mom and I greeted each other. I moved to her side and Kristin immediately hugged me.

“Russell, you bad boy. Taking off and disappearing for weeks and coming back with a hunky boyfriend. But I guess twins do have a tendency to run parallel lives.” She rumpled my hair the way she always did to us, and kissed my cheek.

“Seriously, Russ. I’m glad you and Evan are back on the twin track, and that you’ve both found great guys to be with.” I wondered how she knew Evan and I were aligned once more, but decided to change the subject.

“What about you, Sis? Any guys in your life?” When she shook her head, I grinned. “Christian will be delighted to hear that.”

“Christian?” She looked puzzled, but then it dawned on her. “Oh no, not Jacob’s best friend! Please tell me he’s not going to be around.”

“Sorry Sis, but he’s not only going to be at the engagement party, we’re also meeting him tomorrow night. Jacob says he’s really anxious to see you again.”

“I’m gonna kill him!” I wasn’t sure whether she meant Jacob or Christian, but I turned all my attention to Mom talking with Evan and Chris. She’d been hugging my twin who babbled excitedly in her ear, until she finally cut him off.

“Yes, yes, Evan, I agree. Now will you please introduce me to your man?”

“Oh, right, ummm… Mom, please meet Chris Aldercroft. Chris, this is my mother, Isabella.”

“Pleased to meet you Mrs.—” Chris began, but Mom waved her hand in protest.

“No, no, you must call me Isabella, please, or Isa the way my other future son-in-law does.”

“Thank you, Isa. I’m delighted to finally meet the ladies of the family. I hope Evan and I will have the pleasure of your company frequently from now on.” Chris took a step forward and bent his head to kiss Mom’s cheek, and I wasn’t surprised to see her hug him. He was clearly prepared for this too and gently embraced her. I looked at the clock at the other end of the terminal and realized Jens would be at the parking lot in less than fifteen minutes.

“We should go outside soon, so we’re ready to be picked up. Mom, Kristin, you’re going with Jacob’s dad, and we’ll follow in a taxi. Ehm Chris, you may have to pay, because I don’t have a credit card.”

“Yes, you do, Russell, let me get it out, and you can sign it. I’ve got the code here too.” Mom picked up her handbag and started rummaging in it.

“No problem, Isa, let me deal with the cab fare. You can sort matters out later on.” Chris grabbed the handle of Mom’s suitcase and gave Evan a stern glance. My twin immediately took hold of Kristin’s roller bag and said ‘Lead the way’ to me.

Jens pulled in ten minutes after we arrived at the pick-up parking, and we bundled Kristin, Mom and their suitcases into his car. He gave me a piece of paper with their address, saving me the trouble of trying to pronounce it to the cab driver. We said ‘So long’, crossed to the other side of the terminal and got into a taxi. Chris took the front passenger seat and Evan and I jumped in the back. I’d given Chris the note with the address and he showed it to the cabbie, who nodded but didn’t look too pleased.

To my surprise it he took a coastal route along the east side of the airport and we had a great view of the blue waters of Øresund and the arriving airplanes as we drove. There was almost no traffic and I’m not sure he stayed below the speed limit. We actually managed to arrive before Jens in spite of leaving a bit later. Chris paid and tipped the driver, which made him grin and exclaim “Tusind tak, hr.” I suppose the driver's initial disappointment at a short fare jaunt explained his surliness, but Chris' generosity had made it all better.

As we turned to walk into the front garden, I saw Jens’ car turn the corner from the opposite direction. Evan grinned and waved cheekily. I heard a car door slam behind me, but didn’t think anything of it until a familiar disapproving voice reached my ears.

“I assume you’re the devil leading my eldest son astray.” Shit!

Evan and I turned and there was Father standing next to a car with tinted windows. I hadn’t noticed it in the driveway belonging to Jens and Benedicte’s neighbor. He was staring at Chris, who simply stared back, his profile nothing but a calm mask.

I grabbed Evan’s hand and dragged him backwards, one step at a time. I could feel him beginning to shake, but whether it was from rage or fear, I wasn’t sure. A mixture, perhaps? Suddenly Jens’ car pulled up next to us; my mom and Kristin got out, already exclaiming about how we’d gotten there before them. They couldn’t see Father, since he was behind the hedge, but Kristin quickly noticed something was wrong and hurried towards us. At the same time, I heard Benedicte’s voice.

“Welcome, all of you…” she stopped at the end of the garden path right next to me, and I instinctively reached out and grabbed her hand. One look at my ashen face was more than enough for her to shift from smiling to frowning, but at the same time Father moved out on the sidewalk and became visible to everyone.

“Hello, Henry,” Benedicte said. Her voice was full of arctic ice. “Have you come to apologize to your family?”

“Dad,” Kristin was almost pleading with Father, “please don’t spoil everything by making a scene.” I almost laughed at the idea; Father would never do that in public, he cared way too much about his image. Although I guess this quiet suburban road had few eyes and ears to watch and hear.

He ignored both of them and spoke to Mom. “Isabella, my dear, it’s good to see you again. How are you?”

“I’m fine, thank you, Henry.” Her voice was polite, but nothing more. Fuck, they really were not on good terms, I’d never seen them greet each other without a kiss. Father might not exhibit much affection towards his children, but he never hesitated to show his love for Mom.

“I’d like to ask you to go for a walk down to the beach, so we can talk in private. Would you do this for me, please?”

It was strange how I immediately recognized his strategy; maybe I had learned more than I thought from all those evening meals where Father would hold forth on his successful dealings with business associates and colleagues. He was trying to catch Mom at a time when she was tired, and separate her from her support base. Divide and conquer – or was it divide and rule? And he did not demand, but asked gently, lovingly, almost pleadingly. Because this was so different from his usual demeanor, it was all the more effective. I held my breath waiting for Mom to answer. I think everyone else did too.

“Henry, all I want to hear you say is that you’ve come to your senses, and you’re ready to accept your sons for the men they are, as well as their partners. Whatever you have to say, it should be said in front of Evan and Russell and their future husbands.”

Father morphed back to the disapproving and haughty stance I knew all too well. “And are you aware that this man you hugged and kissed in the airport has for several years been a prominent member of Chicago’s sadomasochist scene? Do you really approve of such a person as the lover of your barely legal son?”

Fuck, how did…oh…his PA must have been at the terminal, and as soon as Jens picked up Mom and Kristin, he had alerted Father who was lurking in this neighborhood. Why hadn’t I kept an eye out for the guy? I was the only one who knew what he looked like…Not that I could recall him distinctly. And he could have been disguised…I dismissed the matter and focused on the scene in front of me.

Mom had winced a tiny bit at the mention of S&M, enough for Father’s tone to get slightly triumphant at his second question. Knowing your sons were having sex might be OK, but I guess few moms wanted to be privy to any of the kinky stuff.

“If you know that, you also know I didn’t renew my club membership after I started to date Evan.” Chris might have been speaking to Father, but his eyes were on Evan, and they clearly begged him to stay quiet. I reinforced this entreaty by squeezing my twin’s hand.

“Well, you didn’t need it, did you?” our father sneered. “You had your own submissive all handy and eager at home.” He turned back to Mom.

“Isabella, I did not oppose Evan’s notions of being attracted to men, as you seem to think. No, I wanted to get him out of the clutches of this ‘Dom’. A professional Dominator who's ten year older than your boy, and gets turned on by possessing and spanking our son. This control freak has made Evan reject his family and all notions of proper decent behavior.”

I could feel Evan shaking with rage or disgust – or some other emotion, which would surely have erupted into a fit of shouting or worse – but Mom spoke up.

“All I care about as a mother, as a parent…” the rebuke was razor sharp, “…is for my children to be happy and loved. Our sons have found this with Chris and Jacob, and nothing else matters.”

Father looked like he was going to reply, but Mom plowed on. “For years I have watched my boys, particularly Russell, wilt under the cruel expectations and the demands you’ve made, or rather from the lack of love and approval. I’m ashamed it took me so long to figure out what the problem was. But seeing Russell looking happy and healthy after three months away from your oppressive control gave me the final clue. You are the problem, Henry, you and your need to have everyone around you bend to your pretenses and wishes.”

She walked over and stood in front of Evan and me, and we took her hands. “I’m proud of Evan for breaking away, for being strong and courageous, and for finding a man who cares for him, protects him, loves him and needs him, the way spouses should.” Mom wasn’t looking at Father; she was staring right at Chris and finished her speech with a smile in his direction.

“Thank you, Isa. You’re quite right. I need Evan and I love him with all my heart and want to him happy. Forever.” Ignoring Father, Chris walked right up to Evan and kissed him, and it wasn’t a small peck either. No, it was a huge smooch, one of those calculated to make your knees weak and something else hard. Afterwards, he kept Evan encircled with his left arm and held his right hand out to Benedicte.

“Hello, I’m Chris. Nice to meet you. I can see the resemblance to Jacob, so you must be his mom.”

“Welcome Chris, I’m glad to meet you, please come inside. The coffee is ready and I’ve baked chocolate cake. Jens, please organize the luggage. Kristin, you’re looking better than ever, but you and Isa must be exhausted after your long flight.”

Somehow Benedicte managed to herd us all into the garden in the most casual way while ignoring my fuming father as if he were of absolutely no importance. I feared my mom would stay and talk to him, but she linked her arm in mine and made me stroll with her after everyone else.

“I’m proud of you too, Russell, I hope you know that?”

“I understand, Mom. You focused on Evan, in order to make Chris feel better.”

“That’s my clever, considerate boy.”

A few months earlier I would probably have denied being clever, but Jacob’s warnings about not being allowed to put myself down as well as my promise on the matter weren’t forgotten. In addition something else was looming behind me, but Mom forestalled me with an intense whisper, preventing me from looking over my shoulder.

“Ignore him, he is not worth our while right now. He needs to come to his senses and if he doesn’t, well…”

I kept expecting Father to shout or come after us, perhaps grip my arm, but he was much too controlled to make a mistake like that. We heard the car door slam and moments later he drove down the road at a measured pace. I saw the car disappear out of the corner of my eye and sighed in relief. But of course now we would have to deal with the aftermath of the confrontation.

As soon as we entered the house, I heard Evan ranting. “How dare he? He must have had someone investigate you, snooping into… I never want to see that utter bastard again, as long as I live! I’m gonna take out a restraining order against him when we get home, and if he comes within 30 yards of me or Russ, he’ll regret it. Why can’t he leave us alone? I hate him. I…”

Evan’s rage dissolved into sobbing, and we heard Chris soothe him. I let go of Mom to rush into the living room where my twin was clinging to his boyfriend. No one else was present, so I stopped and tried to back out.

“Evan, Russell is here; come on, honey, calm down.” Chris beckoned me with his fingers and eyes, and I joined them. Stroking Evan’s back, I did my best to help.

“Forget about Father. Don’t hate him feel sorry for him. He’s losing his family and he’s desperate. He wants you to react, but Mom is right. Ignoring him is much better. Don’t let him fuck with your mind and your emotions. Let it go, please, En. Think about the wonderful man who loves you; he’s worried about you. I bet Chris doesn’t give a shit about anything Father says or does. All he cares about is making you happy, and you should focus on making your future husband happy too.”

Gradually, Evan calmed down; Chris kept holding him, kissing the top of his head, murmuring words of support to him, backing up what I said. Finally, my twin looked up at his partner.

“Oh Chris, I’m sorry.”

“Never mind, Evan. It’s OK, babe.” Chris gently wiped Evan’s face and kissed him. I stepped away and looked around. Hearing voices from the garden, I walked over to the French doors. Benedicte and Jens were showing Mom and Kristin the flowerbeds and the view, and I saw the table on the terrace was decked out with cakes and other treats. Obviously we were going to be outside, since the weather was nice. Mom must have gone out there via the kitchen.

I walked across the lawn to where Benedicte and Mom were standing, talking. As I approached, Jacob’s mom said, “Do you think Henry will give up now, Isa?”

Mom sighed. “Probably not until the boys are married, but I don’t want them to rush…” My shadow fell between them and she stopped talking. They both turned and smiled at me.

“Russell, how is Evan doing?” Benedicte didn’t beat around the bush.

“Ehm, he’s OK now. I think they’ll be out soon.”

“Good, then let’s go get some coffee and cake. Isa, I’ve baked your favorite – orange chocolate cake.”

“Sounds wonderful; I’ve tried to make it at home, but it’s not the same, somehow.”

We made our way back to the table, collecting Jens and Kristin on the way, and Chris and Evan joined us. Benedicte had made buns and Danish butter cookies as well as two kinds of cake, and soon we were all groaning in the reclining chairs in the garden.

“That was absolutely delicious, Benedicte, but I’ll have to run twice the distance tomorrow to work off all those calories,” Chris told her. He and Evan were holding hands; I think my twin was sort of sugar-doped and mellow from the experience. Comfort-eating had done me good too, but I wished Jacob were here. So far the conversation had neatly avoided the topic of the ambush out front. I’d told everyone about the camping, mainly the tourist stuff of where did we go and what did we see.

“What are the plans for this week anyway?” Kristin asked.

“Jacob will join us for dinner tonight. I know he wants the young people to go out for a meal on Tuesday to celebrate a hopefully successful exam; his best friend Christian will join them. And there’s the party on Saturday of course, but otherwise no plans so far.” Benedicte listed the official itinerary and Kristin rolled her eyes at the mention of Christian.

“Tomorrow I’m going to buy an engagement ring for Chris,” Evan announced proudly. The love in the look he gave Chris burned so fiercely, it made tears appear in Mom’s eyes. In mine too, actually.

“Maybe you’d like to join us for lunch afterwards,” Chris said to Kristin and Mom, and they both nodded.

“Benedicte, you’ll come too, won’t you?” I knew she was off most of this week, even though Jens had to work.

“Of course, Russell.” Her blue eyes reminded me of Jacob when she smiled, happy, caring and proud of me. My future mother-in-law was awesome.

Chris tried to apologize for not including her at first, but she laughed and engaged him and Mom in a discussion of where to go. Chris wanted to try smørrebrød, and they finally settled on Ida Davidsen, even if Benedicte said it was too touristy to be cool. Expensive too, but Chris trumped that criticism.

“I’m taking my future husband and in-laws out for lunch, and you’re expecting me to care about the cost?”

Mom had been studying him with a thoughtful expression. “Chris, are you by any chance related to Vincent Aldercroft?”

“Yes, he’s my grandfather, do you know him?”

“I met him years ago during one of the bank’s annual dinners for major shareholders and business associates. I knew you reminded me of someone, but at first I couldn’t think who. And it only clicked because I’ve seen his name and a picture of him in the paper recently. Something about retiring from several Board of Directors positions at age of seventy.”

“Yes, he celebrated his birthday last autumn.”

“You look very much like him, or at least the younger version I met.”

Chris laughed, “You’re not the first person to say this. In fact when you look at photos of him from fifty years ago, it could be me, apart from the out-of-date fashions.”

Mom hesitated, but Chris gave her a nod as if he knew what she wanted to ask. “I assume you’re out to your family?” He nodded again. “And they’ve met Evan?”

“My parents and sisters have, and they like him. They have no problems with me being gay, if that’s what you want to know. I’ve been out to them since I was eighteen.”

“And your grandparents?”

“They have a harder time accepting it, particularly Grandpa Aldercroft. Which is why I haven’t seen him since the family celebration at his birthday, and I haven’t introduced Evan to him.”

“Oh.” Mom’s sigh of disappointment was obvious.

“However, I have the feeling his disapproval might diminish the moment Evan and I put a ring on each other’s fingers. It’s one of the reasons I’m not opposing my mom’s desire for a big wedding. I’m the oldest grandchild on both sides and will probably be the first to get married, and my grandmothers would not be pleased if their husbands didn’t escort them. To them that would be a bad breach of etiquette, and they'd sooner be seen at a same-sex marriage ceremony than at any wedding without their spouses in tow.”

“Interesting, I shall have to tell Henry this. He expressed his respect and admiration for your grandfather when we saw the article.”

“Mom, I don’t want Father at our wedding if he’s only doing it to preserve his fucking image.”

“Evan—” Mom began, but he stood up and shouted “NO.” I winced, but I knew my twin had to express his fury.

“I don’t care whether he accepts me or not, but he has insulted Chris, and I’ll never forgive him for that.” Evan took a deep breath. “And another thing: he spied on me, and he investigated Chris – and he did it before I came out to him!”

“You don’t know—”

“Yes I do! Suddenly it’s all clear. That’s why he insisted on talking to me that night. I couldn’t understand why he kept going on about needing to find myself a proper girl, and the importance of leading an impeccable life if I wanted a successful career in law. He even tried to persuade me to transfer to a local law school.”

“What?” Mom was obviously surprised at the last revelation.

“Yeah, he told me Russell needed me, and I should stop being so selfish and come back home. ‘Your twin is not doing well, Evan. You should give duty to your family higher priority than your own egocentric wants.’ Fucking bastard. He just wanted to get me away from Chris.” Evan had Father’s pompous and admonishing tone down flat, and Mom’s lips went tight in a way which didn’t bode well for him. Our father that is, although I knew she disapproved strongly of the F-word too.

“Mom, I’m sure Evan is right,” my sister said. “I think Dad also had a PI check up on me after I moved to New York. But since I didn’t have any secrets and didn’t date anyone ‘inappropriate,’ it never caused a problem. Well, other than I’ve lost a lot of respect for him.” Kristin’s calm statement upset our mom even more, and Benedicte moved her chair closer so she could put her arm around Mom.

“Isa, Henry obviously has major problems with letting his children take control of their own lives. This is not your fault, and none of us ever realized before now. I’m sure his siblings and his colleagues would be quite surprised too. He’s hidden the extent of his obsession well, or perhaps he suppressed it better in the past.”

“That’s kind of you, Dicte, but I think Henry was always this bad; we simply never challenged his control of the family before Evan came out. Oh, I suppose you did a bit, Kristin, when you left home, but like you said, you did what he expected and wanted.”

Jens suddenly spoke up. “Perhaps another reason is that Henry doesn’t see women as an equal challenge to his authority. He’s more protective and caring to the females in his life, rather than confrontational.”

“Det svage køn, mener du?” Benedicte snorted and translated her Danish phrase. “The weaker sex – or is that gender? Anyway, I think Jens might be right. But let’s not waste any more time on psychoanalyzing Henry, he needs a shrink to help him with his issues.”

“Evan and I could probably benefit from professional help too.” The words plopped out of my mouth before I had time to reconsider. A stunned silence followed and I wanted to sink into the ground.

“Why…Why do you think you need that, Russell?” Mom asked after a long awkward pause. I snuck a glance at Evan who seemed more worried than pissed, but that might change. Oh well, I had to reply.

“Jacob and I met this girl on Læsø, a student of psychology. I talked to her about hating Father for hurting us. She said the worst thing was the damage we might suffer if we can’t deal with our feelings.” I looked straight at Evan as I said this and he flinched. “She told me forgiving might take a lot of therapy, and ‘if the other party shows no remorse, maybe all you can forgive and stop hating is yourself.’ I think she’s right. It’s better to feel sorry for him than to hate him, even if we never see him again.”

The stubborn set of Evan’s mouth showed me he wasn’t convinced. But Chris was nodding.

“Listen to Russell, babe. Your twin has a good point. Anger is fine, but prolonged hate can be a nasty thing to deal with. What’s the use? He’s lost and you have won.”

He gestured at me, Kristin and Mom, “They all chose you over him. You’re not the one to break the family apart. In fact, when all the dust settles, you’ll either have a better balance with your dad or he’ll be the one without a family.” Mom’s emphatic nod put the seal of approval on Chris’ words, and I saw some of the tension leave Evan. I hadn’t realized he felt responsible for the way things had developed after he had stormed out, and I think Mom was surprised too.

“Darling Evan, you cannot change the past and none of it is your fault. I made the choice to send Russell to Denmark, and I’m glad to say it has turned out to be an even better idea than I hoped. I’m very sorry this separation has been so hard on you; I should have contacted you and explained. Can you forgive me?”

She held out her arms to us and we nearly tumbled over each other to hug her. It was strange to feel protective of my twin, but it is a good feeling too. Evan needs me, I’m his anchor and without me he’s all-adrift. In return he pulls me out of myself, out of sadness and depression and self-hate. Our bond is equal, balanced, and mutually supportive. I never saw it like this before, but I do now. I finally feel I deserve Evan’s love and caring, and that I give as much in return. I’m even starting to feel worthy of Jacob’s love.

Jacob… I missed him so intensely it was like a physical ache in my guts. How could it get so bad after only a few hours’ separation? Oh wait, the emotional upheaval might account for my need to feel Jacob’s arms around me. But now that I thought about it, I realized that even if Jacob weren’t here physically, his positive influence stayed with me. In fact, he was the one to plant the seed of understanding and nurture it for weeks, listening to me talking about Evan and often pointing out how Evan asked my opinion or wanted me to stay close. Like the time he reminded me of going to Tivoli and Bakken…

***

“Do you remember when we went to Bakken?” We had been talking in the tent for an hour or more after Jacob’s breakdown over me getting TBE. He was trying to help me recall some of the good parts of my previous visit five years ago.

“Vaguely.”

“Your mum wanted to take you to Tivoli as the most traditional Danish fun fair park, but I recommended Bakken as better for teenagers.”

Vague memories drifted up from the murky depths. “We ended up going to both places, didn’t we?”

“Yes. Evan wanted to try the wilder rides at Bakken, so my mother suggested he go with me and Kristin and you could go with your mum and her to Tivoli.”

“But that’s not what happened.” I distinctly recalled clutching Evan on the mountain rollercoaster at Tivoli as well as on the traditional one at Bakken, and both of us yelling in a mixture of fright and delight.

“No, Evan insisted on going to Tivoli with you.” Jacob grinned at me in the soft beam from the flashlight, and I smiled back and felt my heart warm at the thought of Evan refusing to abandon me.

“He always did things like that for me; he knew I wouldn’t enjoy myself without him.”

“Maybe, but he enjoyed Tivoli too, and he kept telling you he was glad you made that choice. He liked the history and traditions, and some of the rides were plenty wild for him. You went together on every single one, except the Golden Tower. You refused to go up there, and Evan did that one with me, but he wasn’t happy about it. ”

“And then he probably persuaded me to go to Bakken.”

“Actually, you suggested it and persuaded your mum.”

“I did?” I had no recollection of this.

“Yes, she said to my mum it was one of the few times during the whole holiday you expressed a strong desire for doing a particular thing. You pointed out that it was only fair for Evan to get his wish fulfilled too, and for you to go with him. Since I had offered to take all my cousins to Bakken, and Kristin wanted to go too, we spent a whole day there before leaving for Bornholm.”

“Yeah, and it was so much fun, and I felt silly for insisting on Tivoli.”

“Evan thought it was clever of you.”

“Huh?”

“He said he thought it was on purpose. He knew your mum would defer to your wishes, and she was pleased with him for insisting on going with you to Tivoli. If he had asked to go to Bakken as well, she might have said no, but she was delighted you finally begged for a treat and wanted to try something on your own. Evan said that way you got to try both places, and going to Tivoli first and Bakken afterwards was the best choice. He admired you for making it happen.”

“Oh…” I’d never thought about it like that.

“Later he told me, he wouldn’t have dared half the rides on his own, but you seemed to assume he was fearless and wanted to go on all of them. You clearly expected him to protect you and make you enjoy the rides, so that’s what he did. Luckily, he found out he liked most of them, and he was proud of you for going with him again and again, even after one of them almost made you puke. I thought you had a lot of guts too.”

“But I was petrified most of the time. I only did it for Evan.”

“Russell, doing things when you’re scared, takes a lot more courage.”

***

At the time, I had shrugged and changed the subject, but now I realized those kinds of stories and discussions had gradually made me see Evan and myself in a new light. I love Jacob for many reasons, but opening my eyes and giving me the chance to re-forge my twin bond in a stronger and better way than ever is one of the most important things he’s done for me. I have the feeling Evan will agree.

I can't wait to show Jacob how appreciative I truly am.

I realize this is a shorter chapter than normal. I apologize, but I got persuaded to spend some time on my prompt story. :lol:  Thanks to AC and Kitt for their help.
I’d like to dedicate this chapter to Kitt (and all the other caring and protective Moms on GA).
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Moderator

After reading this chapter, I have to wonder if Henry has considered the appearance and what people will think if he is not at the wedding of his sons. That he is a small minded bigot? That he is ineffectual at retaining a family? He reminds me of someone. I am friends with three brothers and their grandfather was very controlling or tried to be. They were all extremely rowdy. He had them watched and actually had files on them and would quote dates and times that they did different wild exploits when they went to him for money. That didn't work out for him either. By the way they all turned out okay in the end despite all that wildness.

 

I liked the way Jacob tweaked Russel's memory in that flashback. It reinforced how important that twin bond is to both the boys

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 06:54 AM, drpaladin said:

After reading this chapter, I have to wonder if Henry has considered the appearance and what people will think if he is not at the wedding of his sons. That he is a small minded bigot? That he is ineffectual at retaining a family? He reminds me of someone. I am friends with three brothers and their grandfather was very controlling or tried to be. They were all extremely rowdy. He had them watched and actually had files on them and would quote dates and times that they did different wild exploits when they went to him for money. That didn't work out for him either. By the way they all turned out okay in the end despite all that wildness.

 

I liked the way Jacob tweaked Russel's memory in that flashback. It reinforced how important that twin bond is to both the boys

Thank you so much, I'd almost given up waiting for reviews and gone to bed sulking. JK :lol:

I'm glad Henry comes across as a 'real' person, it's rather hard to write a man with those traits, when I don't know anyone like that. So interesting to hear about your experience.

And you certainly nailed the meaning and importance of the flashback. AC urged me to do a memory and it took me a while to come up with a good one, so it's nice to know it worked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

well I wrote a nice and elaborate review but lost it just before posting *THANK YOU internet connection*
so now I am just saying that this is such a nice story and I'll do an overall review in CC forum later :hug:
Tak for den dejlige kapitel og elsker dig :hug: & :kiss:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is an amazing chapter, Tim, letting us see how much Russ has developed since meeting Jacob. His grasp of what motivates people is a lot better now, and his bond with Evan can only become stronger as a result. It seems he is now going to be better able to stand up to their father with this new insight.
That Henry had Chris investigated before Evan left comes as no surprise--only now Isabella sees just how bad her marriage really was. I'd be very disappointed if she ever got back together with him.
More please...and give us the recipe for orange chocolate cake!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

A wonderful chapter. I hope the twins marry soon and their father - no, let's just say sperm donor - is gone from their lives. I look forward to more of the twins, their mates and the whole family.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I waited for our heat wave to cool down a bit so I could enjoy this... and I did. Another great chapter, Tim. It's the first time we see the entire family together all at once (I may have missed Jacob a bit in this chapter, because... well... sigh... but I did feel his presence), and it was a very intriguing dynamic. You had Henry presented as almost lurking on the outside of his family, and that was powerful. His attempt to isolate Isa was a breath-holding moment, but her strength and clarity prevailed... and I sighed with relief. Dicte was awesome. The change in Russel has been a steady and wonderful progression, and in this chapter I think he comes into his own... he comes across as the stronger twin, but even more importantly, he is starting to see that he is Evan's equal... I loved the 'deserving of his love' part. The blinders are off this whole family, and it must have been galling for Henry when Isa took away his supposed ace-in-the-hole and came to Chris' defense. Henry must accept that he has no control, or lose his entire family. I wonder if he gets that? I would expect a man like that to try another tactic... control is most important to this man, so letting go of it would be very difficult for him. I can't wait for the next chapter, my friend. Well done... you had me engrossed from beginning to end... cheers... Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment

This felt like a pivotal chapter Tim. Daddy dearest tried to seperafe mom from the family and was shocked to find her backbone grew with her instinct to protect her children. Bravo to Isa for standing up to her husband. Even his daughter and sons stood up to him today. I agree with Gary...Henry lurking by the hedge was symbolic of how he now stands in the shadows of his family as they walk away from him. It's up to him how their relationship will proceed now.

 

I loved how Russell is really growing more confident and the strength instilled in him by Jacob stays with him even when they are apart. Those are the best relationships...the ones that make you stronger and more confident in yourself. I also love these memory trips that Russ takes, thinking back to conversations with Jacob :). They are great sources of insight into the way Russ's mind works and shows how far he has come in 3 months. Plus we get a little bit of Jacob :wub:

 

I'm intrigued to see his Kristen with react to Christian. Her strong reaction to just his name tells me there is a story there :lol:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 09:22 AM, Victor Gutte said:

well I wrote a nice and elaborate review but lost it just before posting *THANK YOU internet connection*

so now I am just saying that this is such a nice story and I'll do an overall review in CC forum later :hug:

Tak for den dejlige kapitel og elsker dig :hug: & :kiss:

Damn :no: - I've had that happen to me a few times. If you want to do a long review, writing it in Notepad or some other program can be safest. I'll look forward to your contribution in the story forum.

I'm glad you like the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 09:58 AM, ColumbusGuy said:

This is an amazing chapter, Tim, letting us see how much Russ has developed since meeting Jacob. His grasp of what motivates people is a lot better now, and his bond with Evan can only become stronger as a result. It seems he is now going to be better able to stand up to their father with this new insight.

That Henry had Chris investigated before Evan left comes as no surprise--only now Isabella sees just how bad her marriage really was. I'd be very disappointed if she ever got back together with him.

More please...and give us the recipe for orange chocolate cake!!

Thnak you CG, I'm delighted you think the chapter show an improvement in Russ. AS stated in the story description one of the main themes is exactly his journey from a shy and almost self-hating boy to a man who stands proud and knows how to love and be loved. There is still some way to go, but he took a significant step forward here.

Isa's marriage was probably fine, but she realized Henry was not as good a father as a husband. Or perhaps she woke up to the fact that standing up to her husband more would have been a good idea in order to protect her kids.

I can give you the chocolate cake recipe, but everything is in grams, and I have no idea how to convert it into oz.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Other reviewers have mentioned Russell's maturity level stepping up in this chapter, and I agree, but I see something else at work too. Namely, that Russell's idolization of Evan is being brought down/up to a level playing field.

 

One thing you brilliantly showed here is that in the few months the 'shy' twin has been away, he's actually become more mature than Evan. Due to Jacob..? Partly, and more so do to the experience itself. Russell has had to face stuff and grow. He could never have been ready for Jacob's love if he had not.

 

In this chapter you show Evan 'stuck' in thoughts of shunning their father, and maybe mild ideas of revenge, but serenely over that ire, you show Russell being able to move on. This is no fluke, for you as an author put Russell through his own personal trial with Henry, and thanks to Jacob's love and guidance, he's come out on the other side as the man Isa can be truly proud of.

 

Perhaps one day his father will too.

 

Thank you for writing this story; it connects with a lot of people for very good reasons : )

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 10:58 AM, avidreadr said:

A wonderful chapter. I hope the twins marry soon and their father - no, let's just say sperm donor - is gone from their lives. I look forward to more of the twins, their mates and the whole family.

Thank you. I try not to think about how many chapters I'll need to write before we get to the weddings. :pinch::lol:

Yes, one solution is for Henry to be gone, but perhaps a better one would be for him to change and be forgiven. But I have no idea yet whether that can or will happen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 01:00 PM, Headstall said:

I waited for our heat wave to cool down a bit so I could enjoy this... and I did. Another great chapter, Tim. It's the first time we see the entire family together all at once (I may have missed Jacob a bit in this chapter, because... well... sigh... but I did feel his presence), and it was a very intriguing dynamic. You had Henry presented as almost lurking on the outside of his family, and that was powerful. His attempt to isolate Isa was a breath-holding moment, but her strength and clarity prevailed... and I sighed with relief. Dicte was awesome. The change in Russel has been a steady and wonderful progression, and in this chapter I think he comes into his own... he comes across as the stronger twin, but even more importantly, he is starting to see that he is Evan's equal... I loved the 'deserving of his love' part. The blinders are off this whole family, and it must have been galling for Henry when Isa took away his supposed ace-in-the-hole and came to Chris' defense. Henry must accept that he has no control, or lose his entire family. I wonder if he gets that? I would expect a man like that to try another tactic... control is most important to this man, so letting go of it would be very difficult for him. I can't wait for the next chapter, my friend. Well done... you had me engrossed from beginning to end... cheers... Gary

Thank you Gary, it was worth waiting for this review. :D I hadn't thought about it, but you're absolutely right. Henry is lurking around like a shark, trying to isolate the weaker prey and get his teeth into her. What a surprise it must have been to find Isa strong and resistant, and able to ignore him. You know my guts ached while I worked on that scene, it was so tense. I'm glad my readers feel the same, that I managed to convey the feeling. As to what he'll do next, well I don't know right now, but I think you're right. We have not heard the last of him.

I love that you see Russ as stronger than Evan in this chapter, he was and even more important: he realized it. It's been a goal ever since I wrote the first scene of Russell describing Evan, to get to a point where both twins feel a balance, an equality in their bond. For Russ to actually admit that they can achieve that is a major step forward.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 01:25 PM, LitLover said:

This felt like a pivotal chapter Tim. Daddy dearest tried to seperafe mom from the family and was shocked to find her backbone grew with her instinct to protect her children. Bravo to Isa for standing up to her husband. Even his daughter and sons stood up to him today. I agree with Gary...Henry lurking by the hedge was symbolic of how he now stands in the shadows of his family as they walk away from him. It's up to him how their relationship will proceed now.

 

I loved how Russell is really growing more confident and the strength instilled in him by Jacob stays with him even when they are apart. Those are the best relationships...the ones that make you stronger and more confident in yourself. I also love these memory trips that Russ takes, thinking back to conversations with Jacob :). They are great sources of insight into the way Russ's mind works and shows how far he has come in 3 months. Plus we get a little bit of Jacob :wub:

 

I'm intrigued to see his Kristen with react to Christian. Her strong reaction to just his name tells me there is a story there :lol:

As I was replying to Gary's review I realized you are right, this was a pivotal chapter. Thank you so much for pointing that out. Maybe I should have called it Balance and control, because as the whole family was present we saw the balance shift and the control moved from Henry to Isa. Russ gained insight in the balance in his twin bond with Evan, and for the first time he acknowledged the influence he has on Evan. And influence equals control, but in a beneficial manner.

I'm glad you felt Jacob was present in spirit, and that you enjoyed the trip down memory lane. AC suggested I include one, and I knew he was right. I struggled for a bit to find the right one, and your reaction tells me I chose well. And you pinpointed one of my 'writer's tricks' - I aim to show Russ' character and his development via those small trips into the past, as well as his 'aha' moments in the present.

Kristin and Christian, ;) yes I look forward to writing their meeting. Your instincts are great. :X

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 02:32 PM, AC Benus said:

Other reviewers have mentioned Russell's maturity level stepping up in this chapter, and I agree, but I see something else at work too. Namely, that Russell's idolization of Evan is being brought down/up to a level playing field.

 

One thing you brilliantly showed here is that in the few months the 'shy' twin has been away, he's actually become more mature than Evan. Due to Jacob..? Partly, and more so do to the experience itself. Russell has had to face stuff and grow. He could never have been ready for Jacob's love if he had not.

 

In this chapter you show Evan 'stuck' in thoughts of shunning their father, and maybe mild ideas of revenge, but serenely over that ire, you show Russell being able to move on. This is no fluke, for you as an author put Russell through his own personal trial with Henry, and thanks to Jacob's love and guidance, he's come out on the other side as the man Isa can be truly proud of.

 

Perhaps one day his father will too.

 

Thank you for writing this story; it connects with a lot of people for very good reasons : )

Oh AC, I want to hug you when you write reviews like this. What can I add? :*)

You're absolutely right. Russ has matured three years in three months. The camping trip didn't just hone his body but also his mind, and it shows now that he is back with his family. His ability to tease Kristin about Christian, to see through his father's ploys, to accept his Mom's compliments, to soothe Evan, and even to bring up the need for professional help to deal with their father.

Oh Russ still has issues to deal with, but for the first time I have confidence he will be able to do it. And you just showed me why. :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

All through this chapter I was thinking just how far Russ has come. Of course the fact that he could think about "thanking" Jacob and not blush was proof positive.
Henry... sigh... No comment
Definitely one for the Mums :)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 05:26 PM, Bucket1 said:

All through this chapter I was thinking just how far Russ has come. Of course the fact that he could think about "thanking" Jacob and not blush was proof positive.

Henry... sigh... No comment

Definitely one for the Mums :)

How did you know he didn't blush ? :lol:

No, you're right, Russ has come so far since we first met him, and I think meeting his family has made this clear. He is now interacting with all of them from a new and stronger position. I'm not sure they fully realize yet, but they'll soon find out how much he has improved, not only on the outside. And I think that seeing this change without Jacob being there is important, as LL said the strength stays with Russ even when they are apart. So he truly has evolved, it's not just Jacob controlling him.

Good Mums must be treasured. :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This was a great chapter Tim. Much like everyone, I was struck by Russ' growth here. It has been happening slowly, but we finally see the effect of Jacob's patient and loving influence. I don't doubt that Russ had it in him all along. With his new self realization, I can't wait to see Russ fully come into his own. I also can't wait to see how much appreciation he shows Jacob!!
Isa showed Henry up as an a**. I hope, if he wants to still have his family, he finds a away to turn this around.
Looks like good things may happen for Kristen too?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I'm with AC on this one. The chapter did show Russ's growth as a person, but also showed a power shift in his head with his twin. Russ always had power and pull in his relationship with Evan - he just never realized he did. One of the many good things about his relationship with Jacob is that he makes Russ see himself and his relationship with his twin in a new light. I would go so far as to say that Jacob's love and encouragement revived Russ's relationship with Evan - with them both being on equal footing with one another.
I was also tense when Henry tried to cull Isa from the rest of the group. Isa surprised him by having a stronger maternal instinct than he realized.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 10:50 PM, Defiance19 said:

This was a great chapter Tim. Much like everyone, I was struck by Russ' growth here. It has been happening slowly, but we finally see the effect of Jacob's patient and loving influence. I don't doubt that Russ had it in him all along. With his new self realization, I can't wait to see Russ fully come into his own. I also can't wait to see how much appreciation he shows Jacob!!

Isa showed Henry up as an a**. I hope, if he wants to still have his family, he finds a away to turn this around.

Looks like good things may happen for Kristen too?

LOL, yes I think Jacob will have his hands full when Russ gives him the reward. I promise I'll give you a detailed account of the event. Jacon certainly deserves it after patiently caring for Russ since he arrived.

I'm delighted everyone remarks on the growth of Russ and points to different aspects. I love your observation of how it's happened slowly, almost escaping his and our notice, only to appear now, at the moment of tense surprise. Oh, he still wobbles and babbles in his head, but at least he does not hide or refuse to face matters.

You're kind to talk of hope for Henry to change and make amends. It's easy to write him off, but he's got good qualities too, if he could only loosen up. Fifty or one hundred years ago he would have been considered an ideal patriarch.

Kristin will have her moment in the spotight, too. ;)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/29/2015 11:15 PM, EagleIsaac said:

I'm with AC on this one. The chapter did show Russ's growth as a person, but also showed a power shift in his head with his twin. Russ always had power and pull in his relationship with Evan - he just never realized he did. One of the many good things about his relationship with Jacob is that he makes Russ see himself and his relationship with his twin in a new light. I would go so far as to say that Jacob's love and encouragement revived Russ's relationship with Evan - with them both being on equal footing with one another.

I was also tense when Henry tried to cull Isa from the rest of the group. Isa surprised him by having a stronger maternal instinct than he realized.

Thank you Eagle-eyes, another profound review from you almost makes me blush. :*)

It's inspiring and rewarding when readers see things in my story which I wanted to express but didn't know if I'd managed, and then take it one step further. Yes, Jacob has changed the way Russ sees himself and Evan, and this miracle will make the twins closer than ever and with a much better prospect for both of them to be happy. Oh, there are still adjusments to be made, and we can get some drama and fun from it too, but this is the chapter which makes it believable that the corner as been turned. And I didn't see that before you all pointed it out. :worship:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I can see why your story is so popular. Well done for getting such a fantasitc following. You obviously know how to construct a totally engaging story. Congratulations.

Link to comment
On 07/31/2015 07:20 AM, carringtonrj said:

I can see why your story is so popular. Well done for getting such a fantasitc following. You obviously know how to construct a totally engaging story. Congratulations.

Thank you. It's scary sometimes, especially since I'm not sure what I'm doing right. It's like juggling balls and hoping you can keep going and not fuck up.

I must admit I love getting the approval of my readers. Probably why I'll never write daring and difficult stories like you do.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Another wonderful chapter! :thumbup:

 

You have created an amazing family. Mother who loves her children and only wants to see them happy and content with their lives. Twins who have a very special connection. Father who only cares about the appearances. Sister who loves her brothers and accepts them as they are. Evan and Russ have great boyfriends, who love, support and protect them. :wub:

 

It'll be interesting to find out how the father copes with losing his entire family. Or will he see the error of his ways and beg for forgiveness. Probably not and he'll end up being miserable, bitter and lonely :great:

 

Looking forward reading more :read:

  • Like 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..