Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,079 Words
  • 4,388 Views
  • 36 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 1. Prompt 352 I can’t believe you asked him that!

em>Two best friends have an encounter with an obnoxious jock.
A Nelson POV chapter.

“I can’t believe you asked him that!“ My best friend Jasper looked annoyed when I laughed.

“You know my policy: ask me a bigoted question, and I’ll do my best to insult you back.” The funny thing was I had the feeling the guy hadn’t meant to be offensive. And for other reasons I didn’t want to be harsh on him. But if he was too stupid to know that ‘fag’ was a bad word, he deserved what he got.

Especially since he’d come up to me out of the blue and asked: “So, Nelson, are you a fag?” Jasper and I had been sitting on the grass by ourselves, talking, and this dumb jock saunters over. When I look up at him, he blurts out his question.

So of course I stand up and shoot right back at him, “You want me to report you for that, straight boy? The polite word is gay, you stupid asshole.” I paused dramatically, “Or do you ask because you want to suck my dick?”

I almost expected him to take a swing at me, but he just turned around and walked away. Not that it would have done him any good, since I’ve done self-defense classes ever since I told my parents at age thirteen. It’s part of why no one messes with me, before and after I came out to everyone last year by being the Prom date of the guy who is the school’s GSA President. So this sort of dumb question two months before the end of my junior year was unexpected.

Oh, friends like Jazz knew from the start. I’ve never been ashamed of who I am. My parents, being lawyers, made their views clear to the school when they enrolled me. The principal politely told them that since two of the teachers were openly gay, anti-discriminatory policies were already in play. And indeed, I’d never suffered more than the occasional snide or teasing comments similar to normal high school fooling around. At least, not apart from the Clayton incident.

Jasper was shaken, “You know he’s straight. Rob has been dating one of Carolyn's friends for almost two years. According to her, he’s a stud and awesome in bed.”

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. I don’t do guys in the closet, or straight studs, since I prefer to top. But anyway, he’s not the one I like.” The topping part was a bit of bluster since technically I was a virgin and wasn’t sure what I preferred.

However, the last admission caused Jazz to drop the subject of Rob, and ignore me bending the number one rule of our friendship: No talking about our sex lives! I didn’t want to know what he and his girlfriend got up to in bed, and he didn’t want any details of my conquests. This suited me fine, since there weren’t as many as he imagined.

“What’s this Nel? You in love? Spill the beans, man!” Jasper got up to slap my shoulder with a happy grin. He might not want to hear the icky details, but he cared about me being successful in the dating game.

I’d been following Rob with my eyes until the moment I saw him meet up with his two-years-younger brother. Eric looked pissed and worried at the same time, and he pulled Rob aside and was obviously giving him a piece of his mind; his clever, sharp-witted mind which lived behind the cutest face imaginable and above a body to die for.

Yeah, I’d been crushing badly on this sweet young freshman for several months now. But I’m cursed with a non-existent gaydar, so I had no clue whether he might be interested. He certainly wasn’t out, but maybe I’d just been shown the reason why.

I turned my back on the arguing brothers, both of them tall, blond and handsome. But where Rob was a muscular baseball jock, Eric was a slender cross-country runner. However, most of his merits came from intellectual stuff, which was why he had caught my attention in the first place. We were both part of the drama club, and his skills as an actor and a writer of short plays were already the talk of the school.

Jasper squeezed my arm, and I scowled at him. But I had never lied to him, and I wasn’t about to start now.

“I like Eric. But you better keep your mouth shut about it. I’m not going to ask the younger brother of a homophobic prick on a date. And in any case I doubt he knows I exist and I…”

Halfway through my rant Jasper’s face got this weird expression, which gradually turned to horror. He held up his hand to warn me, and a few seconds later I heard a familiar voice.

“Nelson, I apologize on behalf of my stupid brother.”

I froze and my desperate eyes met Jasper’s amused green ones. He looked like he wanted to fall over laughing, but he knew I’d kill him if he gave the game away. Trying to compose my face I slowly turned.

Two pairs of earnest blue eyes looked at me, but of course I only cared about Eric. The guy I secretly adored continued his explanation.

“At the beginning of the break Rob for some obscure reason decided to ask me the same question he subsequently asked you. My reply was: ‘Are you trying to insult me or elicit information?’ When he didn’t get the point, I sarcastically invited him to ask the question of someone he knew was gay and see how they liked his dumb act. I didn’t expect him to do as I suggested. Unfortunately, you were the victim of his stupidity. For which I can only beg your pardon.”

Eric made as if to leave, but Rob grabbed hold of his arm. “Not so fast, little brother. You’ve had your say, now I get to make amends too.”

“I got the point, and I’m sorry I hurt your feelings with that word. So I asked Eric nicely the second time, just now. He admitted to being gay, and I suspect he likes you, Nelson. So would you please invite my brother out on a date?”

Stunned silence met his words. Eric flushed, paled and flushed again. He turned on his brother and punched him in the guts. As Rob bent over in pain, Eric stormed off, shouting, “I can’t believe you asked him that!“

This story is dedicated to aditus, since reading his prompt 352 story inspired me to take up the challenge.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 34
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Taking the first line as last line also was such a great idea! I love it. I like the story also, it was funny. A little less information on the main character would have tightened the plot even more. I'm looking forward to reading more prompt stories from you now. :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 04:00 AM, aditus said:
Taking the first line as last line also was such a great idea! I love it. I like the story also, it was funny. A little less information on the main character would have tightened the plot even more. I'm looking forward to reading more prompt stories from you now. :P
Thanks, I'm so glad you enjoyed it. And you put your finger right on my sore spot: the tendency to keep adding details. I'll try to be less verbose in future prompt stories.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 05:11 AM, Irritable1 said:
Freakin' adorable! And, maybe casual up the language a little bit... but it was such a cute concept.
Thanks Irri! You guys know me too well, stilted language is another of my weak spots. But it's good to be reminded. And I'm glad you liked it even so.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Good job, Tim! I liked it very much, and the information on the main character just brought him to life for me--but then, I'm a sucker for detail in writing.

Some people are more formal in speech than others, I'm one of them, so I'd only suggest loosening the reins on some of the characters--I have trouble with dialogue sometimes, and I try to imagine how people talked about things when I was hanging out more.

One thing is a bit confusing, I'll paste it here:

I’d been following Rob with my eyes until the moment I saw him met up with his two-years-younger brother.

Shouldn't that be 'meet'? Otherwise, you've switched tenses. :)

I too hope you write more prompts...and to hear more about these two might be a cool thing, either in more prompts or a story!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 12:46 PM, dughlas said:
Fun story .., I think you did fine with a short story and should try your hand at others.
Thanks, I may now be hooked on Comifan's first liners, so other attempts may appear. Glad you enjoyed this one.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 03:12 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Good job, Tim! I liked it very much, and the information on the main character just brought him to life for me--but then, I'm a sucker for detail in writing.

Some people are more formal in speech than others, I'm one of them, so I'd only suggest loosening the reins on some of the characters--I have trouble with dialogue sometimes, and I try to imagine how people talked about things when I was hanging out more.

One thing is a bit confusing, I'll paste it here:

I’d been following Rob with my eyes until the moment I saw him met up with his two-years-younger brother.

Shouldn't that be 'meet'? Otherwise, you've switched tenses. :)

I too hope you write more prompts...and to hear more about these two might be a cool thing, either in more prompts or a story!

Yep, dialogue is another thing I struggle with, lol. But Eric was formal on purpose for two reasons: with his brother because he was pissed and knows Rob hates it when he goes all high and mighty on him, and with Nelson because he was embarassed.

Thanks for spotting the 'met' mistake, I'll correct it asap.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nce going! And it's your first time! You know it only gets better with practice...

 

Immeditely, I want to read more. What is is with these high school love stories that is so captivating? Oh, yeah right, young, beautiful guys in love getting busy. What's not to like?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/06/2014 05:05 PM, Puppilull said:
Nce going! And it's your first time! You know it only gets better with practice...

 

Immeditely, I want to read more. What is is with these high school love stories that is so captivating? Oh, yeah right, young, beautiful guys in love getting busy. What's not to like?

Thanks. I'm already planning to edit for improvement, lol.

Of course I've thought about what will happen afterwards. Maybe one day I'll write that story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I found this piece to be convincing. The language seems pretty spot-on for North American teens, and the outside setting is nice because it coveys an instant feeling of freedom and possibility. They way you developed Nelson with his thoughts about dating, the prom, and letting slip that there is a special someone around that piques his romantic interest is all good. You make Nelson blossom in relatively few words; that's nicely done. It's a sweet set up for what it is about Eric that he does like – sharing common interests in the drama club, etc.

 

But – where's the romance?! You make the straight guys 'win' by showing the downtrodden minority as flustered, divided and missing the golden moment of connection. Obviously, I do not appreciate that choice, so if you wanna make it up to me (lol), you better take my advice, and show us their date, and I mean tout suite, Mister!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Great short piece. Makes me very glad I'm an only child but thinking about it my best friend is as bad as any sister. Lol. Look forward to reading more of your prompts. Must get back to them myself.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/08/2014 03:20 AM, Caz Pedroso said:
Great short piece. Makes me very glad I'm an only child but thinking about it my best friend is as bad as any sister. Lol. Look forward to reading more of your prompts. Must get back to them myself.
Yes, helpful but blundering sibs and friends can be quite embarrassing at times. But we forgive them for the good intentions. Thanks, and do write more prompts soon, I enjoy them.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/07/2014 01:36 PM, AC Benus said:
I found this piece to be convincing. The language seems pretty spot-on for North American teens, and the outside setting is nice because it coveys an instant feeling of freedom and possibility. They way you developed Nelson with his thoughts about dating, the prom, and letting slip that there is a special someone around that piques his romantic interest is all good. You make Nelson blossom in relatively few words; that's nicely done. It's a sweet set up for what it is about Eric that he does like – sharing common interests in the drama club, etc.

 

But – where's the romance?! You make the straight guys 'win' by showing the downtrodden minority as flustered, divided and missing the golden moment of connection. Obviously, I do not appreciate that choice, so if you wanna make it up to me (lol), you better take my advice, and show us their date, and I mean tout suite, Mister!

Oh AC, you always make me laugh. Nelson and Eric may end up on a date, but right now they are both cringing over Rob's crude attempt at match-making.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Tim,

sweet. Stupid jock brothers, embarrassed mouthy main character (overstating his sexual prowess), a surprise happy ending and the ingenious use of the prompt phrase.

I loved it (and Bob who I will borrow as a character from you in another story).

JAR

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/11/2014 08:20 AM, JohnAR said:
Tim,

sweet. Stupid jock brothers, embarrassed mouthy main character (overstating his sexual prowess), a surprise happy ending and the ingenious use of the prompt phrase.

I loved it (and Bob who I will borrow as a character from you in another story).

JAR

Thanks JAR, I'm glad you liked it. You're welcome to borrow Rob/Bob but remember he's straight, lol. Though I guess you can make him gay if you want. Parallel universes and all that.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I hadn't realized your two prompt stories actually form a unit. That's neat! I've read them back to front, as it were! Silly me! So maybe you will continue the story over time and we'll see where the Nelson/Eric thing goes. That will be great.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 03:21 AM, Jaro_423 said:
I hadn't realized your two prompt stories actually form a unit. That's neat! I've read them back to front, as it were! Silly me! So maybe you will continue the story over time and we'll see where the Nelson/Eric thing goes. That will be great.
I did mention it in the story note of ch 2, but maybe I should have made it clearer. And yes, I'm already thinking of the next prompt chapter, lol.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Excellent Tim...just excellent...and you used the prompt twice :boy: I don't know how I missed this but in so few words you created something very charming...cheers....Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 07:31 AM, Headstall said:
Excellent Tim...just excellent...and you used the prompt twice :boy: I don't know how I missed this but in so few words you created something very charming...cheers....Gary
Thanks Gary, you liking it means a lot to me. Hope you'll enjoy the sequel(s) too.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/15/2014 04:39 AM, Suvitar said:
Don´t know who to feel more sorry for :huh: Cute little, story.
LOL - yeah I'm not sure either who were more embarrassed out of Nelson and Eric.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Most excellent. Concise and complete with a perfect double dose of the prompt. I'm going back and reading from the start again. :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 11/2/2014 at 8:13 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Most excellent. Concise and complete with a perfect double dose of the prompt. I'm going back and reading from the start again. :P

Such a nice compliment! Thank you, Carlos.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great chapter! Rob seems like a well-meaning if "big-mouthed" brother. I probably would have punched him too :P. At least Nelson knows Eric is gay now!

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..