Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,580 Words
  • 5,407 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 19. Prompt 360 Why do I even bother? (II)

Sorry, I couldn’t help add a bit more parental drama. You can all blame Suvitar for inspiring this. :lol: 
An Eric POV chapter

“Why do I even bother?”

Eric wanted to storm upstairs and slam the door to his room, but he knew that would be a huge mistake. He was pissed at his mom for not trusting him. He had explained again – in spite of being acutely mortified – that it didn’t matter if they had been alone at Nelson’s house, since they hadn’t done anything they wouldn’t do if they were here.

After his shout of anger, he deflated at the sight of his parents’ upset faces. He slumped in his chair and hid his face in his hands.

“Why do I even bother? You seem determined to think the worst of me,” he muttered dejectedly. He wasn’t used to being treated like this, but he suddenly understood why Rob occasionally grumbled about their parents being too protective, interfering, and annoying. Why did they have to ruin his wonderful date day with this crap?

“Eric,” his mom began, her tone softer than before, but then she stopped. Eric could hear his dad talking to her in a low voice. He didn’t bother trying to listen, but hopefully she’d let Dad deal with matters.

Moments later, he felt her hand caress the back of his neck the way she used to do when he was a kid and upset or hurt. “I’m sorry, Eric, I didn’t mean to accuse you. If you’re honest with us, we’ll trust you. And now that I’ve met Nelson – and his parents – I’m more comfortable with the idea of you going out with an older boy.”

She patted his shoulder and left the kitchen, closing the door behind her. There was a long silence while Eric tried to get a grip on his anger. Finally, he sighed and turned his head to look at his dad.

“You know, I used to be almost glad you don’t have any sisters. It’s always harder for a mother to accept the girls her sons bring home, and a father gets protective when boys approach his darling daughters. Or so Freddy tells me.”

Eric smiled at the thought of his dad’s brother ranting about the ‘suitors’ of his daughters. All three of his teen cousins were blond, pretty and popular with guys.

“So you may have to be patient while your mom and I adjust to the new reality of you going on dates and being with a boy. It’s fairly easy to deal with in our heads, but gut reactions and emotions are harder to control.” His dad was a psychologist but he was quite good about not using his professional skills on them, in Eric’s opinion.

Especially after Rob had rolled his eyes one day at dinner when he was twelve and said: “Stop doing the understanding psychology thing on us, Dad. We can see through it, you know.” The weirdest part was their mom’s reaction. She laughed so hard she cried. Several years later she told them that she’d made the same complaint early in their marriage. But she also made it clear she admired her husband for being a brilliant therapist as well as a caring spouse and father.

In this case, it helped to have his dad admit that any issues were to be dealt with by his parents adjusting and not by Eric. It made him able to give concessions too.

“OK, Dad. I forgive you and Mom for ruining the end of my day, and I promise to let you know where I am, and to think about the consequences before I do anything.”

Father and son stared at each other for a long moment, but Eric cracked first. His lips twitched and he began to laugh. His dad joined him and soon they were leaning on the kitchen table and slapping each other’s shoulders while they howled with laughter.

Suddenly Rob opened the door and came into the room. He stared at them in complete surprise.

“What are you laughing about?”

Eric managed to pull himself together. “You know that thing Dad always says to you?”

“Which one?”

“Well, usually before you go out with Mel… ehm with your friends?”

Rob scowled. “You mean about letting them know where I’m going and when I’ll be back? Or the ‘think about the consequences before I do anything’ BS?”

When this reply made his brother and dad collapse with mirth, Rob shot them an annoyed look and turned to leave. Eric took the opportunity to dash after him. He wanted to avoid any more parental drama and he needed to placate Rob.

“Wait up, Rob. We weren’t laughing at you.”

The older teen paused on the landing.

“Yeah?” His grunt didn’t sound convinced.

“No, the joke’s on me. I finally get what you’ve been saying about overprotective parents.” Eric almost felt bad about his dismissive attitude every time Rob had complained for the past two years. Yet their parents weren’t that bad compared to others.

“Oh yeah? Did Mom curtail your possibilities for private time with Nelson?” The teasing tone of the Rob he knew was back.

Eric walked past Rob to his own room and his older brother followed.

“Was that what the shouting was about?” Rob did his signature back flop onto the end of his brother’s bed.

“Were you listening at the door?” Eric’s voice was incredulous. He closed his door and sat down on the bed.

“Fuck no, you know me better than that, bro, but you did shout something.” Rob turned onto his side to smirk at his pouting sib at the head end of the bed. Eric liked to think that he rarely lost his temper, or needed his brother’s help to deal with their parents, but maybe Rob was a good ally, if...

“Yeah, well Mom was practically accusing me of making sure Nelson and I were alone at his house, so we could have sex.”

“And was she wrong?”

“Fuck off, Rob!”

“Come on, you can’t really expect me to believe you didn’t do anything?”

Eric got lost in the memory of Nelson’s reaction to having his hair played with while they made out. Fuck, his boyfriend was so hot. He shifted as his jeans became uncomfortably tight, and the words fell out of his mouth, “We kissed.”

“Aaannnnddd?” Rob wriggled his eyebrows. "I mean, I saw you guys kissing; that much I know."

“And, … there’s nothing else to tell! We didn’t even take any clothes off.” Almost true, but hoodies don’t count, do they…?

“No body contact? No touching? No spooning?” Rob’s voice was almost a seductive whisper.

“Rob! Will you please – ”

“Well, you did it here, so…” The silence stretched as two sets of blue eyes challenged each other. Eric was determined not to lose this time; his intimate moments with Nelson were private, damn it. Rob would have to go elsewhere to have his curiosity satisfied. Hmm, maybe… he had a wicked thought.

“Well, if you’re so interested in what two guys do, why don’t you join the GSA with me? I’m signing up on Monday and going to their next meeting with Nelson. You could come along, and maybe you’d meet someone; someone who would love to show a straight jock like you what it’s all about?” Eric enjoyed the outraged face of his apparently speechless brother at the blatant teasing.

In fact, Eric was pretty sure Rob would get female offers enough to last him the rest of his senior year. The girls in West Hill High would compete for Rob’s attention. There was no denying that his older brother was one of the most popular and attractive students in their school. Being Rob’s brother was hard at times, but Eric wasn’t blind to the advantages. He would have been more worried about coming out, if he hadn’t been sure of Rob having his back.

“Get real, Eric. Stop treating me like an uncaring oaf! I know the GSA is there for more important reasons, and to be a safe place where everyone can feel accepted. But on the other hand, it’s not a bad idea. Joining the GSA, I mean. What about pulling in Tony and Maria?”

The sincerity on the big oaf's face told Eric that he had stepped over the line with his 'joke'. He sat up a bit to let Rob know he was sorry without having to say it. “We haven’t discussed it, but I’m sure they’d do it for me if I ask. Or, at least Maria will for sure.”

“Well, we both know she has Tony wrapped around her little finger.” The blond brothers grinned at each other; the infatuation of their friend was a constant source of amusement. But now Eric knew exactly how Tony felt, since he wanted to be with Nelson as much as possible too.

Suddenly Eric’s phone announced the arrival of a text. He dug it out.

Nelson: “Back home. Mom finally done asking questions, lol. Can I call you?”

“Ehm, Rob, can we say good night now?”

“Oh-ho, the boyfriend is sexting you?”

“What..?” Eric was focused on the screen and not really paying attention.

“You know, texting you about having fun. Did he send you a photo?” Rob craned his neck to see.

“No! He just wants to call me.”

Rob started laughing and Eric blushed even more and pointed at the door. “Say no more. I’m leaving. Have fun, bro. And don’t forget to lock the door this time.

My eternal thanks to AC for keeping it real and on track. And for taking time to edit around New Year.
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 23
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This was a very real chapter, Tim. I loved the interaction between Eric and his dad and it made me think of a few times that my dad and I started out arguing and ended up laughing. Family relationships are constantly evolving and you showed that here very well. Parents have to adapt as there kids get older but it is really hard not to be protective. So, Rob at a GSA meeting...Brilliant...I can't wait for that...I am sure he will get hit on. Thanks for making me remember and laugh...Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I did find it richly ironic when Eric thinks of himself as as rarely getting angry, when we've seen his flash of temper in almost every chapter so far (at lest the ones that he is in ;)

One thing that I think of as rather subtle - but that you have kept going now for a few chapters now - is how Eric is 'cool' with Rob coming into his room so that they can chat. Before 'the outing,' Eric seemed to abhor the idea of his big brother invading his space, but gradually you have shifted them to be closer and closer friends, and you have illustrated this by Rob being allowed to spend more and more time with Eric in his room. Nicely done!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/02/2015 05:27 AM, Headstall said:
This was a very real chapter, Tim. I loved the interaction between Eric and his dad and it made me think of a few times that my dad and I started out arguing and ended up laughing. Family relationships are constantly evolving and you showed that here very well. Parents have to adapt as there kids get older but it is really hard not to be protective. So, Rob at a GSA meeting...Brilliant...I can't wait for that...I am sure he will get hit on. Thanks for making me remember and laugh...Cheers...Gary
I'm glad you feel like that, Gary, I wanted to push the parent-teen relationship a bit without falling into silly drama. Seems like I succeeded.

Rob at a GSA meeting, yet another situation to add to my to-do chapter list. Rob getting hit on was the only thing on my mind, but AC gently reminded me that the GSA has an important role in US schools. It's another of those blind spots for me, since we don't have anything equivalent here.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/02/2015 05:34 AM, AC Benus said:
I did find it richly ironic when Eric thinks of himself as as rarely getting angry, when we've seen his flash of temper in almost every chapter so far (at lest the ones that he is in ;)

One thing that I think of as rather subtle - but that you have kept going now for a few chapters now - is how Eric is 'cool' with Rob coming into his room so that they can chat. Before 'the outing,' Eric seemed to abhor the idea of his big brother invading his space, but gradually you have shifted them to be closer and closer friends, and you have illustrated this by Rob being allowed to spend more and more time with Eric in his room. Nicely done!

Good points AC, and ones I haven't consciously considered.

I think Eric has repressed a lot of emotions and controlling his secrets meant keeping a tight hold of himself in all sorts of situations. Now that he's out and has admitted his feelings for Nelson, he may loosen up in other ways too.

I think Rob has 'invaded' his brother's room for years and that Eric as you point out was annoyed but resigned. But now he may even welcome his brother - and I think he also wants to be supportive if Rob is upset about Melanie.

Thanks for your clever thoughts - and your help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I like the relationship between Eric and his dad, actually the way both brothers relate to him. I had/have a similar one with my mother. I was the big brother to a younger sister, there was a 6.5 year difference between us so we didn't relate like Eric and Rob. ?However, I watched a couple of my friends behave towards their "littles" much the same way as Rob. Exercising the privileges of being the elder while protective of the younger.

I like these guys ... you've done an excellent job with this story. Thanks for sharing it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Well, a minor disappointment here for those of Team Rob who would like to see him try dating another guy....He seems so accepting and open that I'd have thought it a possibility.

 

I loved the scene with his dad, and it made me wistful about times my dad and I used to have--I felt close to him, but we never really shared a laugh, except probably when I was too young to remember. By the time I was a teenager, my parents both worked, and I started to draw into myself more. Was that a result of their jobs, or my also realizing my sexuality? I don't know, but I knew the love was there, but it got a back seat in our interactions.

 

There was zero support for gay kids or even much other counselling in my school back in the mid-70s, and when I graduated college in '81, I think there might have been a fledgling gay awareness--I know we read some gay-themed works in Lit classes, and one of my female professors was the first one I mentioned being gay to in a theme on Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle. In high school, it was a well-known fact that my art teacher and one of the biology teachers lived together, but it wasn't blatantly discussed. The school even now has no GSA group.

 

Can't wait for the Mall excursion--and now the GSA meeting!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/02/2015 09:42 AM, dughlas said:
I like the relationship between Eric and his dad, actually the way both brothers relate to him. I had/have a similar one with my mother. I was the big brother to a younger sister, there was a 6.5 year difference between us so we didn't relate like Eric and Rob. ?However, I watched a couple of my friends behave towards their "littles" much the same way as Rob. Exercising the privileges of being the elder while protective of the younger.

I like these guys ... you've done an excellent job with this story. Thanks for sharing it.

you're welcome dughlas and thank you for reviewing. I think you're spot on with the privilege and protection description. And I hope you got the impression from the text that Eric can see it too.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/02/2015 10:32 AM, ColumbusGuy said:
Well, a minor disappointment here for those of Team Rob who would like to see him try dating another guy....He seems so accepting and open that I'd have thought it a possibility.

 

I loved the scene with his dad, and it made me wistful about times my dad and I used to have--I felt close to him, but we never really shared a laugh, except probably when I was too young to remember. By the time I was a teenager, my parents both worked, and I started to draw into myself more. Was that a result of their jobs, or my also realizing my sexuality? I don't know, but I knew the love was there, but it got a back seat in our interactions.

 

There was zero support for gay kids or even much other counselling in my school back in the mid-70s, and when I graduated college in '81, I think there might have been a fledgling gay awareness--I know we read some gay-themed works in Lit classes, and one of my female professors was the first one I mentioned being gay to in a theme on Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle. In high school, it was a well-known fact that my art teacher and one of the biology teachers lived together, but it wasn't blatantly discussed. The school even now has no GSA group.

 

Can't wait for the Mall excursion--and now the GSA meeting!

I think Rob is open for at least flirting with a guy or accepting being hit on, but I'm not sure how far he would go.

I'm glad you can relate to the parent stuff. I want to portray understanding yet still somewhat annoying parents, since surely they must exist in the US too. :lol:

I'll do my best with the Mall (thanks for your help so far) and the GSA.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Eric and Rob are lucky to have such loving and understanding parents, and all this parental drama is so much fun to read :P How do you prevent horny teenagers from having sex? If they can´t be alone at home, they´ll find another place and that probably isn´t a safe option. Rob at a GSA meeting should be fun, possibly not so much for Rob :huh:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/02/2015 09:35 PM, Suvitar said:
Eric and Rob are lucky to have such loving and understanding parents, and all this parental drama is so much fun to read :P How do you prevent horny teenagers from having sex? If they can´t be alone at home, they´ll find another place and that probably isn´t a safe option. Rob at a GSA meeting should be fun, possibly not so much for Rob :huh:
LOL everyone else seem to enjoy it too, so I guess blaming you wasn't necessary. But I'm particularly glad you liked it since your previous comments inspired me to add this part.

You're right about the sex happening at some point, and better in a safe place. And behind a locked door. :lol:

Why wouldn't Rob have fun at a GSA meeting? I have the feeling he'll enjoy the attention. Time will tell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I love Rob! He's a very real guy and his reactions are so impulsively genuine. This chapter is fascinating because it shows the negotiations parents must have with themselves over sexual politics. Even the most open minded have to figure out a different set of dynamics over protectingand guiding their child. Great job!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/03/2015 02:47 AM, Cole Matthews said:
I love Rob! He's a very real guy and his reactions are so impulsively genuine. This chapter is fascinating because it shows the negotiations parents must have with themselves over sexual politics. Even the most open minded have to figure out a different set of dynamics over protectingand guiding their child. Great job!!!
Thanks, Cole, and welcome back. Please proceed to the story forum for your Team Rob T-shirt, courtesy of Aditus. :lol:

I'm glad you can relate to the problem most parents face with balancing the need to protect with the wish to trust. Just as we try to ignore the idea of our parents having sex, the opposite happens too, and sometimes with devastating consequences.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I felt with Eric. It's really disappointing/frustrating when there is so little trust, (no snide remarks please) especially when it's his parents. So yes, the yelling came from my heart too.The rational me knows it's difficult for both sides though, and you showed it well. Still...parents should trust themselves sometimes, that they did well.

And Rob *swoon*, what's not to love.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Love this chapter, especially since it struck a personal chord with me--my 2nd lover was a psychologist, and we had the same "don't analyze me!" discussion when we first got together! Totally rings true!

Can't wait for the GSA meeting!

Good job!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 01/03/2015 07:15 PM, aditus said:
I felt with Eric. It's really disappointing/frustrating when there is so little trust, (no snide remarks please) especially when it's his parents. So yes, the yelling came from my heart too.The rational me knows it's difficult for both sides though, and you showed it well. Still...parents should trust themselves sometimes, that they did well.

And Rob *swoon*, what's not to love.

Thanks Adi, I'm glad you feel that I have dealt fairly with the viewpoints of both Eric and his parents. They must realize he'll have sex at some point, but they don't want him to rush into matters. But how do you tell your fifteen-year-old "Can you please stay with BJs if you have to do anything."

I have to admit I'm also getting fonder of Rob all the time.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 01/03/2015 07:31 PM, Robert Rex said:
Love this chapter, especially since it struck a personal chord with me--my 2nd lover was a psychologist, and we had the same "don't analyze me!" discussion when we first got together! Totally rings true!

Can't wait for the GSA meeting!

Good job!

LOL - I'm so glad you can relate. Welcome to the mad ride of my prompt story, I'm thrilled to have you with us. Please join the fun in the story forum as well, I wonder whether you are on Team STRAIGHT Rob or Team GAY Rob. Or just undecided like me.

I promise to do my best on the GSA meeting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Nice work as usual. Really enjoying ur story though never experienced too much of this as a teen as I spent most of my time at boarding sch. As a parent I was probably a nightmare and far too strict but my kids somehow survived. Love the way both families are interacting. A romantic ideal perhaps.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 03/07/2015 06:51 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Nice work as usual. Really enjoying ur story though never experienced too much of this as a teen as I spent most of my time at boarding sch. As a parent I was probably a nightmare and far too strict but my kids somehow survived. Love the way both families are interacting. A romantic ideal perhaps.
Thanks Jaro. It difficult for me to do US teens and their parents, since I have very little to base it on. So I'm relieved my readers find it OK.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

i like the relationship between Eric and his dad. I've had those arguments with my son where we would suddenly start laughing. After the laughter we're usually more willing to listen to each other. I think talking to Rob and being honest about his sexuality and has really loosened Eric up for the uptight kid we met in chapter 2.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 04/04/2015 03:14 PM, EagleIsaac said:
i like the relationship between Eric and his dad. I've had those arguments with my son where we would suddenly start laughing. After the laughter we're usually more willing to listen to each other. I think talking to Rob and being honest about his sexuality and has really loosened Eric up for the uptight kid we met in chapter 2.
I'm glad you noticed Eric has loosened up, This is exactly what I wanted to show. He has been hiding, partly because he is naturally introvert and partly because he didn't know how to deal with his crush on Nelson. But now the lid has blown off, and we get to see his full potential. At times this will shock people around him, including Nelson. :lol:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

He's got very understanding parents. I was expecting at least a 'keep the door open' policy.

 

Looking forward to the phone conversation. ;)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 07/24/2015 08:34 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

He's got very understanding parents. I was expecting at least a 'keep the door open' policy.

 

Looking forward to the phone conversation. ;)

I'm glad you find them understanding, Caz. An unlocked door prone to being opened at any time works just as well, right ? :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..