Jump to content
    Timothy M.
  • Author
  • 1,337 Words
  • 3,949 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Timothy’s Terrible Prompt Stories - 2. Prompt 213 You want me to do what?

em>Maybe Rob had good intentions, and Nelson's best friend nags him too.
Another Nelson POV chapter

“You want me to do what?” My question ended in a squeak of disbelief. Not so much due to the request itself, but from the fact he had asked at all. WTF?!

By the time I’d gotten over my shock, the idiot in front of me had recovered from the unexpected punch in the stomach. Rob grimaced and looked in the direction his brother had fled after hitting him. I could certainly understand Eric’s ire. Not only had his older sibling just outed him to me and my friend, he had gone on to suggest I ask Eric out.

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to. As I had confided to Jasper, I had a crush on Eric. The main obstacles had just been removed: He was gay, and he might be interested in me. I had doubted both before the blond Perry brothers came over to apologize for Rob calling me a fag. I looked at him with sudden suspicion.

“That whole f-word question was a trick, wasn’t it?”

He sighed and nodded. “Yeah, I’m sorry, Nelson. I’ve been trying for months to get Eric to tell me he’s gay. But he’s too clever for me and always manages to dodge the issue. But he talks about you a lot, and the way he looks at you, when he thinks no one notices, is pretty revealing.” The blond jock shook his head sadly.

“I don’t know why he’s scared. Our parents are cool, and the school is safe. In any case, if Eric was your boyfriend, no one would dare tease him.” Rob grinned at me, when I tried to sputter about my abilities being only for self-defense.

“I notice you don’t deny being interested in dating my brother.”

This was the moment my traitor friend broke down and started laughing. “He’s desperate to go out with Eric! You should have heard him whining before you came over.” Jazz dodged the elbow I tried to jab into his side, and I scowled at both of them.

Rob seemed completely unfazed. “I happened to sit close to you during the play at Christmas. You were staring at Eric, as if you wanted to cuddle him forever.”

My face got hot at the recollection. The drama club had performed an abbreviated version of A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I got the ghost role of Ebenezer Scrooge’s dead companion Jacob Marley, and I only appeared in the first act. Eric was the underpaid clerk, Bob Cratchit, so he was in three out of the five acts. I’d gone round to watch the second half of the play from the audience, and Rob must have observed me as I leaned against the wall and admired Eric.

Jasper sniggered, “Well, are you going to ask Eric to the Prom?”

“Not if he isn’t out. I don’t date guys in the closet. And Rob, I think you should reassure Eric that Jazz and I won’t tell anyone. He can trust us; Jazz kept my secret for almost four years.” I gave the blond fool a severe look, and to be sure I added, “Outing someone without warning or against their will is simply not done, you jerk.”

“OK, OK, I get your point. I’d better go and find him and calm him down. Can I tell him you’re interested in dating him?”

Rob’s blue eyes beseeched me to say yes, and Jasper backed him up, “Don’t be silly, Nelson, say yes! This is the chance you’ve been waiting for.”

I rolled my eyes and gave in. “Yes, all right. But only if he asks about me.” Jazz and Rob high-fived each other and shouted in triumph. “Fuck, you two are annoying. After this you’d better stop interfering or I will kick your asses.”

Luckily the bell rang, and we had to return to class. I can’t say I heard much of what the teachers were saying. My mind was busy trying to absorb the idea of Eric being available and perhaps interested. I told myself not to get my hopes up. I wasn’t joking when I declared my principle of only dating out guys. I’ve heard and read too many sad stories of secret liaisons, and I have no wish to experience it.

Jasper and I went home together as usual. We’ve been neighbors all our lives and are as close as brothers. I’m the youngest of five, and all of my siblings have left home. Jasper has one older and two younger sisters, so he often escapes to my place.

We had a snack before tackling our homework. Once it was done, we put on a movie and relaxed. My parents would be home late, and I had a standing invitation to have dinner next door. I tried to tell Jasper that I would be fine heating up a pizza, but he wouldn’t hear of it.

“Come on man, what’s wrong with you? I already texted Mom to tell her you’re coming over.”

“OK, but just for dinner. I’m not in the mood for anything else.”

“Sure, sure, I’ll let you go home and dream of your blond boy. You going to indulge in a little private time?”

“None of your business.” I almost snarled at him.

“Jeez Nel, lighten up. How come you’re so cranky? Rob gave you a golden opportunity. All you need to do is talk to Eric and ask him on a date. Or you could do the whole let’s be friends first deal.”

“I don’t need your advice, thanks.” I couldn’t believe Jasper kept on about this, but he was like a dog with a new tasty bone. Hmm, not an analogy I wanted to share with my straight friend.

“OK, I guess you have plenty of experience asking guys out.”

When I didn’t reply and pretended to watch the movie, Jasper got suspicious.

“Nelson, how many dates have you been on? Not random hook-ups, but real dates.”

I mumbled something indistinct and he reached out and stopped the movie.

“Nel?”

“OK, fine. Fives dates.”

“With five different guys?”

“Twice with two of them.”

“So, did you ask any of those people out?” I was silent and Jasper chuckled. Damn.

“You have never asked someone on a date before, have you, Nelson? They invited you.”

“Yes, they did. So what?!” I wanted to point out that the only person he’d ever asked out was his current girlfriend, but knew the observation would backfire.

“So, not only are you in love for the first time, but you also have to work up the courage to ask Eric out. No wonder you are scared!”

“I’m not scared!”

“OK, OK, nervous then. Come on, Nel, it’s natural to feel like that. You know what I was like, when I wanted to ask Carolyn out.”

I suddenly started to laugh, “Oh God, don’t remind me! You were a total wreck for days, and when she said yes, you got even more nervous.”

I guess Jazz and I are good friends for a reason. He did his best to bolster my courage and cheer me up. He said I deserved it for putting up with him during the initial stage of him dating Carolyn. He was right.

But even Jasper didn’t have an answer for the most important question: “Would Eric think I was worth coming out for?”

As I went to bed that night I was still thinking up scenarios of how to get Eric to be my boyfriend. And paid for my obsession with weird dreams; ones where a disdainful blond boy sneered at me whenever I asked him out. “You want me to do what? Go out on a date, with you?”

But somehow I persisted, and in the last dream Eric smiled and finally agreed. He leaned forward, and I thought he was going to kiss me. I wanted him so badly…

My alarm went off.

My sheets were sticky.

And worst of all, I still didn’t know how to ask Eric out.

Next up: Rob and Eric
Copyright © 2017 Timothy M.; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 33
  • Haha 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Full of promise and intrigue but far too short. It ended before it really began and there is so much more that still remains so unanswered. But it was fun to read. Thanks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 03:13 AM, Jaro_423 said:
Full of promise and intrigue but far too short. It ended before it really began and there is so much more that still remains so unanswered. But it was fun to read. Thanks.
Oh no, don't say it's too short! I'm trying to keep my prompt stories from morphing into a full blown novel, but I'm already failing partly, since I couldn't resist the temptation to continue with the same characters.

I really want to do short self-contained chapters, which can be read independently of each other. But it's so difficult to keep it compact and concise.

So please don't tempt me to make them longer !!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I had so much fun reading this! Very good. I'm perfectly fine with the teasing, AS LONG AS THERE IS A SEQUEL!!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 04:23 AM, Irritable1 said:
I like the conversation much better in this one. But for the love of god, stop teasing!!! :lol:
Well, I agree the talks were nicer in this prompt. But how can you consider it teasing when I did what people asked and wrote a sequel?
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 04:58 AM, aditus said:
I had so much fun reading this! Very good. I'm perfectly fine with the teasing, AS LONG AS THERE IS A SEQUEL!!!!
Yes, Sir ! Sequel coming up soon - and at some point I hope dating ensues or AC will roast my nuts.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oh damn, so you make Rob to be a big old sweetie! It always makes me smile to come to the moment of discovery that the hate-speech episode was just a ploy to play cupid for his bro. Awww – misguided, but aww

 

Now the praise begins. From the first draft of this to one, you have done an amazing thing! You pulled it all together and simplified that last quarter to be streamline and brilliant. The introduction of Carolyn as Jasper's gf makes all difference.

 

This series is going to be very popular, and I for one can't wait to learn more about the remarkable Eric. Bravo and well done!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 06:44 AM, AC Benus said:
Oh damn, so you make Rob to be a big old sweetie! It always makes me smile to come to the moment of discovery that the hate-speech episode was just a ploy to play cupid for his bro. Awww – misguided, but aww

 

Now the praise begins. From the first draft of this to one, you have done an amazing thing! You pulled it all together and simplified that last quarter to be streamline and brilliant. The introduction of Carolyn as Jasper's gf makes all difference.

 

This series is going to be very popular, and I for one can't wait to learn more about the remarkable Eric. Bravo and well done!!!

Thanks AC, you pointed out the weak spot in my draft, which was just what I needed to chance the part I was dissatisfied with. Glad you liked the result.

Rob - well he got fed up with Eric giving him the run-around every time he tried to bring up the subject. So he finally resorted to shock tactics. It worked, LOL.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So there is more to Rob than meets the eye. I love it when Brothers are there for each other, even when they are a pain in the ass. Jasper is a great friend and is also like a brother. It is like they are both playing matchmaker and it is so sweet and endearing. I really hope you keep this going. I would love to know more about Eric. Great job on this Tim...I could see these characters developing into something bigger. Cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 07:41 AM, Headstall said:
So there is more to Rob than meets the eye. I love it when Brothers are there for each other, even when they are a pain in the ass. Jasper is a great friend and is also like a brother. It is like they are both playing matchmaker and it is so sweet and endearing. I really hope you keep this going. I would love to know more about Eric. Great job on this Tim...I could see these characters developing into something bigger. Cheers...Gary
Well, you'll get your wish, since I'm having a lot of fun with these guys and comicfan's first line prompts. Just don't kill me if it delays CC chapters, lol.

I thought it would be fun to have the straight guys trying to match-make. Their methods are somewhat crude, but they may be effective in the end. Time will tell.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Damn, Tim! Why you haven't tried prompts before, I don't know--but I am sure glad you got to them! I went back the other day and there isn't really a limit on length--just the minimum, and a request that longer pieces be linked rather than posted verbatim.

You can kiss your 'amateur prompt status' away...you have taken the idea and subdued it. I am glad you are going to do more of these guys--if you weren't, you'd have many pissed off fans. :)

I also have so many visions of how this will unfold...if you can't find a 'first line' to fit, try the 'word list'--I've had luck with both types for my feeble efforts.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/12/2014 01:21 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Damn, Tim! Why you haven't tried prompts before, I don't know--but I am sure glad you got to them! I went back the other day and there isn't really a limit on length--just the minimum, and a request that longer pieces be linked rather than posted verbatim.

You can kiss your 'amateur prompt status' away...you have taken the idea and subdued it. I am glad you are going to do more of these guys--if you weren't, you'd have many pissed off fans. :)

I also have so many visions of how this will unfold...if you can't find a 'first line' to fit, try the 'word list'--I've had luck with both types for my feeble efforts.

Aawww thanks ColumbusGuy, you made me blush by saying I've got 'fans'. But I'm humbly grateful to everyone posting supportive reviews here, and it does incite me to keep going. I think comicfan's many great first-liners will last me for a while.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Tim, about your MC: How can it be that a guy who stands up to a straight jock and brags with his sexual prowess, becomes a girl when asking a boy from the drama club for a date? I was hoping for more aggressiveness ;-). Even asking the jock for a date just for the fun of it ;-) And going through with it, until the jock chickens out ... JAR

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/13/2014 02:30 AM, JohnAR said:
Tim, about your MC: How can it be that a guy who stands up to a straight jock and brags with his sexual prowess, becomes a girl when asking a boy from the drama club for a date? I was hoping for more aggressiveness ;-). Even asking the jock for a date just for the fun of it ;-) And going through with it, until the jock chickens out ... JAR
Thanks for bringing up this point, John. First of all, Nelson needs to know Eric is willing to come out. Else there would be no point of taking him on a date.

 

Secondly, he's comfortable with Jasper and will say and do things in his presence which he won't do in a crowd. So the whole bragging matter is just between them.

 

Thirdly, standing up against bigots is more or less the only principle which will overcome his natural shyness. Nelson hates bullies with a passion and since he does not have to fear them physically, he speaks up against them for himself and others. Otherwise he's fairly reticent, and joining the drama club is his way of trying to work on that.

 

But I do agree he's chicken about the whole dating thing. However, Nelson is in love with a guy whom he thought was unobtainable. Give the poor bloke a chance to get up his courage. LOL

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Thanks for the sequel!

 

Self-contained, compact and concise chapters that form a story nonetheless and are based on prompts - just say to yourself "Challenge accepted!"

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/13/2014 07:45 AM, Puppilull said:
Thanks for the sequel!

 

Self-contained, compact and concise chapters that form a story nonetheless and are based on prompts - just say to yourself "Challenge accepted!"

You're welcome. More is on its way since I'm finding this challenge so much fun. And even more so since people like the result.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

WTF--hmm.

 

And in other news, what a great next chapter for these guys. The pacing moves the story along well, and as mentioned already, the dialogue is pretty damn good, Tim.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
On 10/13/2014 12:31 PM, Ron said:
WTF--hmm.

 

And in other news, what a great next chapter for these guys. The pacing moves the story along well, and as mentioned already, the dialogue is pretty damn good, Tim.

Thanks Ron. Compliments on my dialogue always make me smile giddily, because I find it hard to do. So much easier just to describe what's going on, lol. My beta is always pushing me to 'show, not tell', and I'm sure he'll be happy for me about the result.

What's wrong with WTF ? I was so proud I'd mastered just one of the many incomprehensible US abbreviations, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/2/2014 at 8:21 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

I like Rob! Reminds me of my own lack of filters between brain and tongue!

LOL I thought you might.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 04/02/2015 12:23 PM, EagleIsaac said:
Jasper and Rob should start a straight boy "gay dating service". :lol:
LOL, let's see how well they do in their first attempt.
  • Like 1
Link to comment

man, friends like Jasper and brothers like Rob are hard to obtain :thumbup: . such friends who are comfortable enough in their own sexuality to help their gay friends to find a partner ^_^. I get a feeling that these both are going to be involved in Eric and Nelson's love life to the point that it gets embarrassing for them. while I can see why Rob got famous quickly, I'm gonna be in Team Nelson, even if I'm the only one in the team :lol:. :jerry: insert Nelson in the sign

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..