Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,465 Words
  • 897 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2015 Prompt Responses - 21. Prompt 466: The Christmas Gift

My response to Prompt 466 - First line "He really wants that as his gift?"

“He really wants that as his gift?” I lowered the Christmas card and stared incredulously at my friend. His gorgeous face had turned bright red and he shrugged.

“Believe me, it’s just as much of a shock to me. I had no idea he was planning this when he told us not to buy him any presents this year.” He held up a card identical to mine.

I plopped down on the couch, staring ahead in open-mouthed shock. “But…you’re straight! I don’t understand….why would he want us to go on a date?” I didn’t dare allow myself to hope for something I had wanted ever since I met Andy five years ago. During that time, Andy had dated a variety of women---the last one for over two years. I had a feeling that George suspected my crush on Andy, but he never mentioned it to me. If this was a joke, I wasn’t laughing.

“Who says I’m straight?”

I raised an eyebrow. “Andy, you’ve dated women the entire time I’ve known you. They don’t come much straighter than you.”

He looked at me curiously. “Really? Is life so black and white to you?” He sat down next to me, looking at me evenly. My mouth was suddenly dry and my heart pounded from the close proximity.

“You…you’re…um…you’re not gay,” I stammered.

He took my hands in his own. His warmth radiated through my body; his firm grip momentarily stopping my trembling. “There is a third option, you know.”

A smile crept across my face as hope flared within me. “You’re bi.”

He nodded, releasing my hands in order to bring his up to my face. I closed my eyes, reveling in his touch. I thought I’d gone to heaven when his lips touched mine briefly. I opened my eyes and scrutinized Andy’s face. I couldn’t read his expression.

“I hope you don’t mind. I’ve been wanting to do that since the day we met.”

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped open.

“Don’t look so surprised. You were dating that prick Dale, so I couldn’t ask you out. Otherwise I would have, believe me.”

“But…I’ve never seen you with a guy! I don’t understand…why now?”

Andy rolled his eyes. “Please don’t tell me you’re one of those ‘bi people don’t exist – get over yourself and make a choice’ people.”

I frowned. “No, I’m not. I dated a couple of girls in high school.”

“Then you should understand. It’s not the parts that matter, but the person.”

I nodded dumbly, still not believing that Andy was actually interested in me. Andy stood and grabbed his coat before heading for the door.

“I better leave, otherwise I won’t be able to stop kissing you.”

I smiled. I wouldn’t have minded. “Is that such a bad thing?”

He laughed. “No…but I want to do this right. How’s tomorrow sound? I’ll pick you up at three.”

I nodded. “Sounds great.”

“Bye, Jason.”

“Bye, Andy.” I shut the door behind him and pumped my fist. “Yes!” I shouted as I danced around the room, prompting a knock on the ceiling of my downstairs neighbor. I danced my way into my room and to my closet to pick out my outfit for my date tomorrow.

 

The look in Andy’s eyes when I opened the door the next afternoon told me I’d picked the right outfit. He was dressed more plainly than I was, in jeans and long-sleeved t-shirt that clung in all the right places. I motioned him in, but he shook his head.

“If I come into your apartment, we’re never leaving,” he said with a look that told me he meant every word.

A grin spread across my face as I turned and grabbed my coat and keys. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see,” was his cryptic response.

We rode in mostly silence, enjoying each other’s company. All sorts of romantic scenarios played out in my mind. A candlelit dinner at a fancy restaurant; a matinee movie where we held hands in the back row, sneaking glances at each other like teenagers; ice skating downtown, where I’d pretend I didn’t know what I was doing just so he could ‘teach’ me. We were now driving through a pretty sketchy part of town, and all my romantic thoughts flew out the window when Andy parked in front of the City Mission. Not exactly the most romantic of places. I looked at him and raised an eyebrow.

“I volunteer here every year. It’s something that’s very important to me,” he said.

I nodded and inhaled, holding my breath momentarily. I could do this. It was just a couple of hours and then we’d have our romantic date. Right?

We exited the car and an elderly, skinny African American man shuffled his way toward us as we approached the door. He wore filthy clothes, and even though he was still about twenty feet away, the smell hit my nostrils like an assault. He grinned and opened his arms. “Andy! My man! Haven’t seen you in a while. Everything ok?”

Andy embraced the man, apparently not caring about the stink. “Jared…good to see you. Everything’s great. This is Jason.” He motioned me over.

Jared winked and looked me over. “THE Jason? You’re right…he is hot.”

My face turned bright red and I shuffled my feet. I had no idea how to respond. “Um…thanks.”

Jared let out a boisterous laugh and took me by the arm. “This guy’s got it bad for you, ya know.”

I looked over my shoulder as the old man led me inside. Andy wore a bemused expression and followed us. From the greetings Andy received, it was apparent he was well known here. Most of the people in the room were obviously homeless, with the exception of some men that were helping out in the kitchen. I felt very out of place in my designer jeans and expensive shoes. Jared introduced me to Kevin, the ‘man in charge’. From the way he embraced Andy, it was clear the two were well acquainted. A surge of jealously flared through me. Kevin immediately put us to work preparing food. There was a lot of work to do, so conversation was at a minimum as we prepared mashed potatoes, ham, turkey, and all the fixin’s to go with it. After the food was prepared, we helped serve it until we ran out. My heart broke when we ran out of food before everyone was fed. I made up my mind to make a generous donation to this place.

Andy and I helped clean up before saying our good-byes and heading out the door. The minute I sat in the car, a flood of emotion washed over me, and a cry escaped my mouth. The next thing I knew I was sobbing in Andy’s arms. He held me until it passed, rubbing my back and whispering in my ear.

“What amazing people,” I said. “They’re so nice and upbeat, despite what they’re going through.”

Andy nodded. “You have to be, otherwise it will kill you.”

I looked at him questioningly.

“This place is so important to me because it saved my life. I was kicked out of my house as a teenager and ended up on the streets. If it wasn’t for Kevin and the guys, I’d probably be in jail or dead right now.”

I looked at him in horror. I couldn’t imagine my beautiful Andy as one of the people in the shelter.

“Please don’t look at me like that. I’ve done a lot of things I’m not proud of, but it doesn’t define who I am. It’s taken me a long time to get to where I am today, and I won’t be judged for my past.”

“I’m not judging you. It breaks my heart to think of you as one of those people.” A tear slid down my cheek.

“You did great today. The guys really liked you. They say you’re a keeper.”

“I liked them, too. I want to make a donation to this place. Is there anything else I can do to help?”

Andy put his hand behind my neck and drew me in for a long kiss. When we came up for air, there were tears in his eyes. “I knew you’d understand. I’ve brought other people here before and none of them stayed. I knew you’d be different.”

“If it’s important to you, it’s important to me,” I said.

Andy put the car into drive and then took my hand in his. “I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty hungry after smelling that food all evening. How about we go back to my place and order a pizza?”

“Sounds great,” I said. “My treat.”

Thanks for reading! This is probably my last Prompt response of the year...hard to believe! I hope you enjoyed it. Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and Happy Holidays to the rest! A 'like' or even better, a review, is always appreciated. :)
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

That's the kind of story I need to read at this time of year. Get a bit of perspective and realise how lucky I am. Thanks for posting!

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/23/2015 05:10 AM, Puppilull said:

That's the kind of story I need to read at this time of year. Get a bit of perspective and realise how lucky I am. Thanks for posting!

Thanks, Puppilull. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Such a lovely, heartwarming story. Jason is a keeper, for being able to see past who Andy was to the kind of person he is. Kudos to Andy too, for never forgetting the place that gave him hope.
Well done Val..

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/24/2015 05:01 AM, Defiance19 said:

Such a lovely, heartwarming story. Jason is a keeper, for being able to see past who Andy was to the kind of person he is. Kudos to Andy too, for never forgetting the place that gave him hope.

Well done Val..

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/02/2016 06:05 AM, Timothy M. said:

Yeah, I liked it, they certainly had an unusual date- But it was a good way to tell about his past.

Thanks, Tim. I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Sounds all too familar. The missions in Toronto are close to my heart for the same reasons, without them I'd likely be dead or still on the street. It's also where I met my husband.
Nice story ..
tim

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 01/02/2016 02:40 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Sounds all too familar. The missions in Toronto are close to my heart for the same reasons, without them I'd likely be dead or still on the street. It's also where I met my husband.

Nice story ..

tim

:hug: :hug: :hug: Thanks, Tim :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I enjoyed all these prompts.  I understand why people want you to expand on them as well.  It's your fault for being such a fine writer.  Keep up the good work.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
16 hours ago, AlexLittel said:

I enjoyed all these prompts.  I understand why people want you to expand on them as well.  It's your fault for being such a fine writer.  Keep up the good work.

Thank you so much for reading them!  I'm really glad you enjoyed them.  I love seeing all the reactions to the comments.  It's nice to know that readers still appreciate my older prompt responses.  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..