Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 2,260 Words
  • 3,908 Views
  • 16 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Alex's Legacy - 2. Chapter 2

I looked in the mirror and sighed dejectedly; I missed Alex. I should have been in a much better mood. Tonight was the grand opening of Sam’s Book Nook and business had increased since my slow opening day. Allison’s coupon idea turned out to be successful and the store was popular with students. College kids drink copious amounts of coffee and I considered offering a student discount. To my bitter disappointment, I hadn’t seen Alex since Tuesday. I wished I had found the nerve to ask for his number.

I finished tying my tie, grabbed my suit jacket, and headed downstairs. Allison went all out for the grand opening. She recruited Tom and some friends to walk around with samples of our pastries and we offered every customer a free cup of coffee. I also had a sale on books. I stopped at the end of the stairs, took a deep breath, and walked into the Nook. I needed to get Alex out of my mind and concentrate on the customers.

I was pleased at the amount of people already present. I had just started to mingle when I heard a high-pitched squeal right in my ear. I cringed.

“Oh my God, Sammy! You look fantastic! Your hottie is going to be all over you.” She winked at me and grinned.

I frowned. “I doubt that. He hasn’t been in all week.”

She slugged me good-naturedly on the shoulder. “I’m sure he’s just been busy. Don’t sell yourself short, Sammy. You’re absolutely adorable. If you were straight, I’d divorce Tom in a heartbeat for you!”

I laughed and shook my head as I headed over to the register to cash out a customer. After a while, Allison took over for me so I could mingle and talk to customers. The feedback was overwhelmingly positive. People really liked the look and feel of the place. I was approached by a local writing club about hosting book and poetry readings. After about an hour, I needed a break. I am an introvert with an anxiety disorder, so being in crowded spaces for too long becomes exhausting. Don’t get me wrong; I was thrilled at the turnout, but I was grateful to have friends like Allison and Tom to help me out with occasions such as this.

I jumped as I felt two hands squeeze my shoulders.

“You look amazing,” Alex breathed into my ear.

I grinned and leaned back into his hands. He squeezed my shoulders again and trailed his hand down my back as he turned to face me.

“Thanks.”

“Sorry I haven’t been in all week. I was scheduled for the late shift and I’m in the process of moving. I really missed being here, though.”

I was relieved. “I missed having you here.”

“You didn’t think I bailed on you, did you? How could I pass up free coffee for life?”

“So the coffee is the only reason you hang around here?” I asked coyly.

Alex brushed my hair out of my eyes. “Not even close,” he murmured. “So when do you have time off?”

“I suppose whenever I want, since I own the place,” I replied. “Honestly, I hadn’t given it much thought.”

“Well, you’d better give it some thought so I know when I can take you out on our first date.”

“Maybe you ought to ask me first.”

He smiled playfully and took my face in both his hands. He ran one thumb down my cheek and the other across my lips. I closed my eyes, leaned into his touch, and moaned softly. I felt his hot breath on my ear as he whispered, “When do you want to go on our first date?” His mouth hovered enticingly over mine and I leaned forward, anticipating a kiss. Alex let go of my face, grinning cockily.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “That was just mean,” I muttered.

“So…”

“Tell me when and where and I’ll be there.”

“I’ll pick you up here at 10:00 tomorrow morning.”

“It’s a date,” I said shyly.

“What’s a date?” Allison put her arm around my shoulders. “Any dates around here need to be approved by yours truly!”

“Alex is taking me out tomorrow.”

“Oh, is he? And just who is going to be minding the Nook while you’re… doing what, exactly?”

Allison looked pointedly at Alex.

“That, my good lady, is a surprise.”

She grinned and took his arm in hers. “I’ll cover the store on one condition… I need details about this date! I won’t breathe a word to him, I promise!”

Alex grinned back and whispered loudly, “Deal!”

I shook my head and groaned. What had I gotten myself into?

 

*****

Saturday morning I waited on a bench outside the store with two cups of coffee and a bag of pastries. I wore jeans and work boots, as requested, along with a button-down flannel shirt and light jacket.

Alex pulled up in a navy blue Chevy pickup. He was out of the truck and opening the passenger side door before I had a chance to stand up. I walked over to the truck, and he brushed my hair out of my eyes and behind my ear as he looked at me softly. “Hi.”

“Hi.”

His hand lingered on my face and I thought I was going to die of frustration if he didn’t kiss me soon. I leaned forward as he took the coffee from my hands and held the door open.

“You’re going to be the death of me,” I grumbled as I hoisted myself into the truck.

Alex smirked as he handed me back our coffees. He whispered, “In the best way possible.” Then he closed the door and got in the driver’s side.

“So where are you taking me?” I asked, sipping my coffee.

“You’ll see.”

We chatted as we finished our coffee and pastries. I had no idea where we were headed. All I knew is that we were northbound. The colorful foliage and bright red vines creeping over low stone walls added to the ambiance of fall in New England. Alex held my hand. I hadn’t stopped smiling from the moment he pulled up in front of the store.

About an hour later he pulled into the parking lot of a remote nature preserve. He shut off the ignition and turned to me. “We can go somewhere more public if you prefer, but I promise I’m not a serial killer or anything.”

I laughed. “Well, if you are then my fate is pretty much sealed, isn’t it?”

“Pretty much.”

“I just have one request.”

“Name it.”

I leaned close to him. “Kiss me before you kill me.”

He smiled mischievously and leaned forward until our foreheads touched. He looked deep into my eyes and my breath hitched. He raised his hand to my face and cupped my cheek. His lips were almost touching mine; I could feel his hot breath and I closed my eyes in anticipation. “Will do,” he whispered. He kissed the tip of my nose and slid out of the truck. I groaned in frustration. I was starting to think he was never going to properly kiss me.

Alex grabbed a backpack from the truck, slung it over his shoulder, and we headed down the trail. The forest was a cacophony of color. The leaves were at peak and the sun shining through the brilliant orange, red, and yellow forest canopy made the whole experience surreal. The only sounds were our soft footfalls and the occasional rustle of leaves from forest occupants scurrying about.

As we followed the peaks and valleys of the trail, I had ample time to study him. The sun shone off his dirty blond hair. It was about the same length as my auburn hair; slightly on the long side, curling around the nape of his neck where it clung, damp with sweat. He was a few inches taller than me, and all lean muscle. The jeans he wore flattered his physique in the best way possible. He had an ass to die for.

We hiked mostly in silence, making an occasional comment about the grandeur of the scenery or pointing out a small woodland creature darting away. After about an hour, the silence was punctuated by a loud grumble from my stomach. We both laughed.

“We’re almost there, if your stomach can wait that long.”

I patted my belly. “I think I’ll live.”

Ten minutes later, we veered off the trail to the left and emerged into a small clearing overlooking a deep valley. A veritable explosion of color spread out below us as far as we could see. I stood in awed silence, breathing in the crisp fall air, wishing this day would never end.

“It’s breathtaking, isn’t it?” Alex said, as he looked me over.

I nodded silently.

He unpacked his backpack, spread out a blanket and set out quite a feast for our lunch. He brought a variety of sandwiches, fruit salad, chips, and homemade cookies. He opened a bottle of sparkling cider with a flourish.

“I would have brought champagne, but I don’t drink.”

“That’s ok. Everything’s perfect.”

He poured two cups of cider and handed me one. He raised his cup. “To possibilities…”

I clinked my cup against his. “To possibilities.”

We each took a sip of cider, and then proceeded to eat just about all the food that he had packed. It was delicious.

After we finished eating, he took my cup, set it on the ground, and then pulled me close against him. I leaned back into his embrace and he rested his chin on top of my head. Between the incredible view and the incredible man behind me, I was in heaven.

After a while I realized I had a rather delicate matter I needed to attend to. I squirmed and he loosened his hold. “Are you ok? Do you need to stretch?”

I turned red and mumbled, “I have to pee.”

He laughed. “Well, the whole forest is your bathroom. Pick a tree.”

When I returned from relieving myself, he was lying on his back watching the clouds. I lay down beside him and nestled into his side, my head resting on his shoulder. He ran his fingers through my hair and kissed my temple. I smiled contentedly. After a while, he shifted onto his side, facing me. I looked deep into his eyes as he ran his fingers lightly down my cheek. My eyes flitted closed and my breath hitched as I exhaled.

“You’re so beautiful, Sammy.” He entwined his fingers in my hair and gently drew my face toward his. His mouth hovered over mine briefly before I closed the distance between us. I was done being teased. His mouth closed over mine. He pulled back and looked at me before kissing me again more passionately. I felt his tongue flit briefly against my lips and I opened my mouth, letting him in. Kissing him was so much better than I ever imagined. All that teasing had only made me want him more and from his response, I guessed he felt the same way. We made out until we both needed to come up for air, and I lay with my head on his chest, feeling the rise and fall of his ribcage. He gently ran his fingers through my hair. I pushed him onto his back and straddled him, leaning forward.

“That was incredible,” I whispered. I lowered my mouth to his again, and our passionate kiss resumed. I ran my tongue against his lower lip and playfully took it in my teeth. I kissed my way across his jawline and down his neck, stopping where his neck and shoulder met. I licked and nipped along his neck and shoulder, producing a long groan from Alex. I continued my assault on his neck. I lay on him, pressing my hips into his so he could feel the effect he had on me. I could feel the effect I had on him. He pulled my shirt out of my jeans and ran his hand along my bare side and back. I ground my hips against his, and then kissed him again, moaning into his mouth.

Alex rolled us onto our sides so we were facing each other. He ran his hand along my cheek. I could see the desire in his eyes, and I have no doubt he could see the desire in mine. “Let’s slow this down a bit, Sammy. If we keep this up I’m going to need a new pair of pants and I didn’t bring any.”

I smiled seductively and moved my hands down toward his jeans. “There’s an easy fix for that.”

He entwined my hand with his and brought it up to his mouth and kissed it. “I want to do things right with you, Sammy. Besides, we need to leave soon if we don’t want to hike back in the dark.”

He was right, but I pouted anyway. “You are so freaking adorable,” he said. He pecked me on the lips and then stood up, offering his hand. He helped me up and drew me into a tight hug. I never wanted him to let me go.

I helped him pack up our picnic, and before we left we stood one more time overlooking the colorful valley. He took out his phone and took a picture as he kissed my cheek. It’s my favorite picture of us, and I treasure it to this day.

A big thank-you to Cole and Louis for their invaluable input. Please leave me a review and let me know how you liked the chapter. :) Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Your phrase cacophony of color caught me unawares but was cute. Anything with the suffix -phony bring the word sound to my mind!

More please!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/18/2014 04:56 AM, Daddydavek said:
Your phrase cacophony of color caught me unawares but was cute. Anything with the suffix -phony bring the word sound to my mind!

More please!

Chapter 3 should be posted sometime next week. :) I'm glad you liked the phrase. I thought about changing it since I wasn't sure it really fit, but it slipped my mind. :/ Thanks for reading!
  • Love 1
Link to comment

My favorite part of this chapter is the teasing until the kisses final came. Very nice touch! Awesome chapter!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/18/2014 09:34 AM, Cole Matthews said:
My favorite part of this chapter is the teasing until the kisses final came. Very nice touch! Awesome chapter!
Thanks, Cole! :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

So sad that Alex took a Picture of them and it's Sammys favorite Picture of them. Up until now I somehow forgot that Alex is dead and now I was very sad :,( Sweet chapter :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/20/2014 07:12 AM, Slytherin said:
So sad that Alex took a Picture of them and it's Sammys favorite Picture of them. Up until now I somehow forgot that Alex is dead and now I was very sad :,( Sweet chapter :)
Thanks, Sly. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

I don't know how I missed this update. It was wonderful. Alex is such a sweet guy and he's not looking for a quick wham, bam, thank you Sam (I just thought of that off the top of my head. lol); he wants to take it nice and slow, which is nice nowadays.

 

Like the LBO, I forgot all about the fact that Alex isn't alive anymore. It definitely makes the chapter more poignant.

 

Ok, on to chapter three.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/25/2014 12:15 PM, Lisa said:
I don't know how I missed this update. It was wonderful. Alex is such a sweet guy and he's not looking for a quick wham, bam, thank you Sam (I just thought of that off the top of my head. lol); he wants to take it nice and slow, which is nice nowadays.

 

Like the LBO, I forgot all about the fact that Alex isn't alive anymore. It definitely makes the chapter more poignant.

 

Ok, on to chapter three.

Alex is an absolute sweetheart and definitely wants more from Sam. (I love it...wham bam thank you Sam!) Thanks for the review. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Alex is such a tease. I've got to go back and read the prompt again, but that'll have to wait. I'm too enthralled with the story. This chapter was so damn sweet. :yes:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/16/2014 07:02 AM, joann414 said:
Alex is such a tease. I've got to go back and read the prompt again, but that'll have to wait. I'm too enthralled with the story. This chapter was so damn sweet. :yes:
Thanks :) Alex is a real sweetheart, even if he is a bit of a tease. ;) It's all part of his charm, even if it does make poor Sam want to strangle him sometimes...lol Thanks for reading. :)
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Great job on this chapter Valkyrie. These two are so cute together and there was so much about this chapter to enjoy: the teasing, the descriptions of the scenery, etc. I was actually glad to see Alex slow them down, it just shows what a great guy he is.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/12/2015 04:22 AM, Renee Stevens said:

Great job on this chapter Valkyrie. These two are so cute together and there was so much about this chapter to enjoy: the teasing, the descriptions of the scenery, etc. I was actually glad to see Alex slow them down, it just shows what a great guy he is.

Thanks :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for the review!

  • Like 1
Link to comment

You are showing your heart a little, I think! Romance is an asexual value in human relations - I mean, it is really very much the same no matter the genders of the two participants.You are off on a romantic tear here, and I am going to follow along and bask in its brightness. You've already got me smiling by bringing in the outdoors as part of the scenery of this growing relationship - I love the woods. I love loving in the woods.
On with the show!

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 09/10/2016 02:54 AM, Geron Kees said:

You are showing your heart a little, I think! Romance is an asexual value in human relations - I mean, it is really very much the same no matter the genders of the two participants.You are off on a romantic tear here, and I am going to follow along and bask in its brightness. You've already got me smiling by bringing in the outdoors as part of the scenery of this growing relationship - I love the woods. I love loving in the woods.

On with the show!

Thanks :) I love the woods too, and couldn't think of a better start to their relationship. I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The hike through the woods in autumn is a very romantic approach to the first kiss.  Your writing is so compelling and sets the mood perfectly for the beginning of a meaningful relationship.  I do love your stories and I know I will  feel the same about this one with such a beautiful beginning.❤️ 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
10 minutes ago, raven1 said:

The hike through the woods in autumn is a very romantic approach to the first kiss.  Your writing is so compelling and sets the mood perfectly for the beginning of a meaningful relationship.  I do love your stories and I know I will  feel the same about this one with such a beautiful beginning.❤️ 

Thank you so much :hug:  

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..