Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,398 Words
  • 2,581 Views
  • 22 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

A Penguin Prompt - 1. Prompt 431

Prompt 431 - list of words: a penguin, a bowl of soup, a lawn mower, a bicycle, and a bouquet of flowers

“Guess who got flowers?”

The microwave beeped and I removed my steaming hot bowl of New England clam chowder. I had made a batch over the weekend, since it was Daniel’s favorite soup. “Since you’re asking, I’m guessing it’s either you or me.” I sat at the table and stirred the soup.

Beth set a large bouquet of flowers on the table and grinned. “Wrong on both accounts.”

I looked closer at the flower arrangement. It was a colorful array of a variety of flowers in a vase shaped like a penguin. I smiled and grabbed the card. “It’s been a long time since Penguin got flowers.” I opened the envelope and tried unsuccessfully not to cry.

Eight years ago today I fell down an embankment because I couldn’t stop staring at the hot man walking toward me with a cat on his shoulder. I’ve cherished every single one of those days that you and Sean have been in my life, Penguin – the good and the bad. Tell Sean not to worry about picking up dinner tonight. Meet me at Meadowlane Park at six. You both know the spot.

All My Love,

Daniel

I felt a jolt on my lap, immediately followed by a furry head butt on my chin. I petted Penguin and held him close. “Thank you, Pen,” I whispered. “You brought Daniel into our lives and I’ll never forget you for it.” Penguin purred and licked my chin.

 

My shift ended at three, so I had a few hours to kill before I needed to meet Daniel at the park. I figured I’d go visit Siobhan and Caitlyn – my sister and niece – to allow Daniel any privacy he needed to complete his plans. I was so distracted by thoughts of my husband and what I wanted to do to him when we got home from the park, that I didn’t see the bicyclist until he was right in front of my car.

I slammed on the brakes as he swerved away, but it wasn’t enough to prevent me from hitting him. I opened the door and ran to the front of the car, expecting the worst. He was clearly a serious cyclist. He was dressed in the form fitting shorts and shirts that bike racers wore, and thankfully wore a helmet. He was laying underneath the bike on his back.

“Are you ok?”

He nodded. “I think so. Can you get my bike off of me?”

I lifted the bike and set it to the side. It was very light. He stood up shakily and I reached out to steady him.

“Take it easy. Are you sure you’re all right? I’m a nurse,” I said.

“Yeah. I think so. It’s just some road rash and bruises. Nothing I haven’t had before. Sorry about that, man. I wasn’t paying attention to where I was going and missed the stop sign. Did I damage your car?”

“Let’s get you taken care of first. Do you want me to call an ambulance?”

“Nah. I’m just bruised, like I said. Name’s James.”

“Sean.” I shook his hand.

He looked at the front of my car. There was a minor dent from where I hit his bike. “Do you have a pen and paper? I’ll give you my number and you can let me know what the damage is.”

“Yeah, sure.” I grabbed a pen and paper from the glovebox and handed it to him. “The damage is minimal. I wasn’t exactly paying attention myself.”

“Nice flowers. Did you piss off the wife?” he asked with a smile.

I laughed. “Those are actually for my cat, Penguin.”

He raised an eyebrow. “They’re for your cat?”

“Yeah, from my husband. We met eight years ago today, because of Penguin.”

“It sounds like an interesting story.” He handed me the pen and paper.

“Are you sure you’re ok?”

He nodded and checked over his bike. “The wheel is bent, but the frame looks ok.”

“Can I give you a ride home? You’re not going to be able to ride your bike.”

“That’d be great. I was twenty miles into my ride, so it’d be a long walk home.”

I opened the trunk of my SUV and slid the bike in. James was very pleasant to talk to. I told him about how Daniel and I first met and about Penguin’s journey as a therapy cat. James was recently married and an avid biker. He was training for a hundred kilometer bike race taking place the next month. James lived in a nice suburban neighborhood. He thanked me profusely for giving him a ride home. I told him it was the least I could do after hitting him with my car.

After a brief visit with Siobhan and Caitlyn, I pulled into the parking lot of Meadowlane Park and walked to Daniel’s and my spot with Penguin perched on my shoulder. I smiled as I set Penguin down and sat on the blanket next to my black-haired husband. He returned my smile, but it didn’t reach his eyes.

“You’re awfully brave sitting this close to where you fell down that embankment.”

“Ha ha.”

“Penguin loved the flowers. What a great idea, sweetheart.” I kissed him.

“Thanks. I wanted to do something special for you, since you’ve been working so much lately.” His voice sounded flat.

I put my arm around his shoulders and drew him into my side. “I’m sorry I’ve been working so much, but I didn’t want to pass up the overtime. Is everything ok? You seem like something’s on your mind.”

Daniel moved away from me and played with some blades of grass.

“Talk to me, babe. What’s going on?”

“I was working at a house on the corner of Main and Fifth this afternoon.”

“And…did the homeowner piss you off or something?”

He frowned, then met my gaze. “No. Well, they were pissed when I almost ran them over with my lawn mower.”

“Why did you do that?”

“I was distracted by watching my husband flirting with a hot guy on a bike, then driving off with him.”

No wonder that intersection sounded familiar. “Daniel…”

“Have you really been working overtime, Sean?” he whispered.

“Are you accusing me of having an affair?” I was shocked.

Daniel’s face contorted in pain and he wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. He shook his head, then nodded. “Yes. No. I don’t know. Sometimes I wonder what you’re doing with me, Sean. Things have been going so great, I wonder when it’s all going to come crashing down on me. I guess now I know.”

I took Daniel’s hand and squeezed it. “Sweetheart, that guy on the bike ran the stop sign and I hit him with my car. I gave him a ride home because his bike was too damaged to ride.”

He looked at me hopefully. “Really?”

“God, Daniel…I would never cheat on you. I can’t believe you would even think that.”

“I’m sorry, Sean. It’s just when I saw you with that guy, I had flashbacks to Trevor. He cheated on me all the time, even though he said he loved me.”

“I’m not Trevor, Daniel,” I said in a strangled voice. It cut very deeply whenever Daniel became insecure because of his abusive ex.

“I know that, Sean. Sometimes my insecurity comes to the surface when I least expect it. I trust you. I’m sorry I ever doubted you.”

“Do you think you need to make a counseling appointment?” Daniel had been doing so well, he stopped seeing a counselor two years ago.

He nodded. “It might not be a bad idea.”

I opened my arms and we embraced tightly. I smoothed his hair back from his forehead and kissed him. Penguin jumped into my lap and head butted both of us. We laughed and petted him at the same time.

“Are you hungry? I brought all your favorites.”

“I’m starving.”

“Good,” he said with a sly smile. “You’ll need your energy for the surprise I have planned for you when we get home.”

“Oh? Maybe we should skip dinner…We can always eat later.”

He shook his head. “Nope. You’ll just have to wait.”

I pouted as I took a bite of my sandwich.

“Happy Anniversary, Sean. I love you so much.”

“Happy Anniversary, sweetheart. I love you, too.”

I hope you enjoyed seeing Sean, Daniel, and Penguin again. :) Please leave a like or review and let me know how you liked it.
Copyright © 2015 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 25
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It's so nice to "see" them again after all this time :hug:
Maybe, now, with two cats my chances to meet an nice man like Daniel will be double :whistle::lol:

Link to comment

Val: This is a wonderful glimpse into a very special day. Now I have to read the first story!
There are many who deal with the aftermath of a failed relationship. I know I do it all the time and it's truly unfair to my Hubby.
Thanks for sharing this.
True

Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

What an unexpected but welcome treat (the very best kind of course). I love reading about Penguin and his family. Thank you.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/12/2015 01:54 AM, clochette said:

It's so nice to "see" them again after all this time :hug:

Maybe, now, with two cats my chances to meet an nice man like Daniel will be double :whistle::lol:

Good luck, Clochette. lol Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it! :hug:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/12/2015 03:06 AM, Atruefan said:

Val: This is a wonderful glimpse into a very special day. Now I have to read the first story!

There are many who deal with the aftermath of a failed relationship. I know I do it all the time and it's truly unfair to my Hubby.

Thanks for sharing this.

True

Thanks, RB. :) I hope you enjoy Penguin's story (and Sean and Daniel's too ;) ). :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/12/2015 03:30 AM, Reader1810 said:

What an unexpected but welcome treat (the very best kind of course). I love reading about Penguin and his family. Thank you.

I was so excited to see a prompt featuring a penguin. lol I had to revisit these guys. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/12/2015 08:13 AM, Caz Pedroso said:

It was wonderful to read about the guys again.

Will they be getting more short stories??? :)

Thanks, Caz. :) I have no firm plans for more stories for these guys, but you never know where the prompts will take me. This prompt was tailor made for these guys. lol

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/13/2015 01:06 AM, Cole Matthews said:

Always good to hear how Penguin and the guys are doing. Thanks Val!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/13/2015 03:17 PM, comicfan said:

Glad the prompt helped you create this. So sweet. Loved it.

I owe you a tremendous amount of thanks, Wayne. It was your prompts that inspired me to start writing again and "Penguin" was my first ever completed story - inspired by a prompt. I absolutely had to revisit these guys with a prompt tailor made for Penguin. lol Knowing that you've read and enjoyed the story means a lot to me. Thanks so much! :hug:

Link to comment

Well, that was my introduction to the cast... I think I need to go rummage through your drawers so I can see how all this began. I must like you Val, I'm NOT a cat person! :2thumbs:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/16/2015 07:49 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

Well, that was my introduction to the cast... I think I need to go rummage through your drawers so I can see how all this began. I must like you Val, I'm NOT a cat person! :2thumbs:

I like you, Carlos, but I'm not sure I know you well enough to have you rummage through my drawers...:gikkle:;) I'm glad you like these guys well enough to give the original story a read. Penguin is not your typical cat. Hopefully we'll make a convert of you. lol Thanks for reading and thanks for the review. :):hug:

Link to comment

I've been saving this for a rainy day to cheer me up, but I have to admit it works just as well on a sunny morning at the start of a long week-end off.
Sometimes the past can come back and hit you in unexpected ways, but at least it was brought up and dismissed at once, instead of being left to fester. That's a sign of real trust and love.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/17/2015 05:36 PM, Timothy M. said:

I've been saving this for a rainy day to cheer me up, but I have to admit it works just as well on a sunny morning at the start of a long week-end off.

Sometimes the past can come back and hit you in unexpected ways, but at least it was brought up and dismissed at once, instead of being left to fester. That's a sign of real trust and love.

Thanks for the review, Tim. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 06/24/2016 07:16 AM, Slytherin said:

Aww :wub: That was a cute prompt black-and-white-cat-smiley-emoticon.gif Now write a proper sequel ! :funny:

can-and-penguins-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thanks :) I love the emojis you find! :hug: A "Penguin" sequel isn't in the works right now, sorry!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 02/23/2017 04:42 AM, wenmale64 said:

Wonderful story with a happy feline ending. Makes one wonder if the animals are smarter than the people.....

Thanks so much :) Yes, I think that many times animals are smarter than humans. lol Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment

It can be hard escaping an abusive past. It takes continous work to build and maintain trust. Glad to see them all together.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, dughlas said:

It can be hard escaping an abusive past. It takes continous work to build and maintain trust. Glad to see them all together.

Thanks, dugh.  Daniel's come a long way, but you are so right about the continuous work.  Thanks for reading :)  

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..