Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 795 Words
  • 2,299 Views
  • 32 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 10. Swimming toward Infinity

Prompt: A neurotic tollbooth operator swimming the bottom of the ocean because "Shit! They saw me!"

Swimming toward Infinity

 

Frank emerged tentatively from the tollbooth, then dove back in, narrowly avoiding hitting his head in an effort to hide from the large face that had suddenly appeared in his lane. His eyes bulged and mouth gaped open as the giant blue eyes met his own.

“Shit! They saw me!” The tollbooth was no longer a safe refuge, so he darted out the back door, swimming frantically toward the kelp field. He hid in the large, finger-like leaves, swaying in time with their movement, sides heaving with stress and exertion.

Frank stared at the tollbooth, alert for any signs of pursuit. A shadow fell over the blue structure, obscuring the sign announcing the entrance to the Oceanic Highway. Frank’s heartrate increased as the darkness moved closer to the kelp field, and he readied himself for flight, wiggling his butt and flippers to keep himself floating above the light tan sand.

“What the hell are you doing?”

Frank shot upward, a trail of bubbles in his wake. “George! You scared the crap out of me! We need to hide! They’ve found us!”

“Will you relax? There’s nothing here that’s going to get you.”

Frank shook his head. “Can’t you see it?” He gestured toward the tollbooth. “Look at that shadow! They’re going to get us!”

The water temperature felt like it dropped ten degrees as the shadow loomed directly over both Frank and George. “It’s here! Hide!” Frank shot out of the kelp field and swam to the abandoned car directly behind him. He pounded on the closed window frantically, in his panicked state not realizing there was no way to hide in the rusty vehicle. It finally dawned on him that he needed a different refuge, and he swam on.

The shadow followed him, no matter how fast he swam. Frank was desperate at this point. He didn’t know how they found him, but the last thing he wanted was to be caught again. He looked behind him, then slammed into a dead end. Momentarily stunned, he paused before resuming his flight in a different direction. He stopped dead when he reached the generator, a different sort of panic flooding through him.

The generator was to be avoided at all costs. It was drummed into him when he started working for Oceanic. Stay away from the large, bubbling machine. The intake produced a wake similar to a riptide. It was very difficult to escape its pull. Those caught in it never returned.

Frank was suddenly pulled backward and fishtailed sideways to escape the sudden void of water. “Oh my God! They have nets!” There was no reply. He wondered if George had been caught. The new regime was brutal; employees of Oceanic were essentially slaves, added and removed at the whim of the shadows.

Frank resumed his frenzied swim, taking care to avoid crashing into the barriers preventing his escape. The net loomed closer at every turn as he exhausted himself in his bid to prevent capture. It was only a matter of time before he was caught in its tangled embrace, and he lay on his side, resigned to his fate. He gulped for air, desperate to fill his straining lungs, biology taking over despite his acquiescence. It wasn’t enough; however, and he lapsed into unconsciousness.

 

Frank stared at his new surroundings. He was still underwater, in a container filled with clear, fresh liquid. The aching in his lungs eased as he inhaled fresh oxygen. The tollbooth was gone, as was the kelp field and car. It was eerily beautiful, despite the stark nature of his new location.

“Am I in heaven?” he muttered. He turned when laughter erupted right next to him.

“Man, you really are neurotic, aren’t you?”

“George? I thought you were a goner!”

George rolled his eyes. “You’re an idiot, you know that?”

“Where are we?”

“I don’t know, but they put us in here every week when they clean the tank.”

“What the hell are you talking about?”

“The generator isn’t enough to keep our environment clean. So once a week, they scoop us out and clean everything. Believe me, you’ll be much happier when they put us back.”

“Back?”

“Back in the tank. Good lord, why do we have to go through this every week with you?”

Frank stared at George. “So they’re not trying to kill us?”

George sighed, producing a line of bubbles that rose to the surface of the plastic container. “No, they’re helping us.”

“Oh. Well, OK then.”

“You’re going to do the same damn thing next week, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, probably. I really hate those nets.”

George shook his head and swam to the other side of the small enclosure. Frank would never learn.

This was fun!  I hope you liked my take on the prompt.  smile.png  Thanks for reading!
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



I knew what would come and grinned the whole time. Great take on a very uh... difficult prompt. :)

Link to comment

Oh, Frank... What a way to live! I got a sort of Memento vibe about his struggle. Maybe he needs to get a tattoo or something across his body "Nets come once a week. Don't worry, they won't hurt you..."

Link to comment

I've heard some pretty good fish stories but yours adds a whole new twist ... very funny.

Link to comment

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::gikkle: So Frank is Dory's little brother? Can't remember from one week to the next! I'll never, ever be able to look at a fish tank the same. Thanks so much. :thankyou:

Link to comment

Ah, poor Frank, going through that stress every week! And his buddy George having to listen to him freak out every week. lol

 

Great tale, Val! :)

Link to comment

Hehe. Thanks for the laughter, Val. I have a huge Aquarium, and I shake my head at how scared the fish act every time I clean their tank. I think I have a couple of Franks in there. Great job! Cheers... Gary....

  • Love 1
Link to comment

It's really an adorable take adorable take on that odd prompt. :glomp:
Frank seriously needs therapy. Or may be a sign post that says "Keep Calm and Love Cleaning Day." :rofl:
We should request Pixar to have Frank and George in their next movie!
:thankyou::wub:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 12:34 AM, Carlos Hazday said:

LMAO! Now I'm going to think of goldfish in an aquarium all day long!

:gikkle:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 12:47 AM, aditus said:

I knew what would come and grinned the whole time. Great take on a very uh... difficult prompt. :)

Thanks for your beta input, Adi. :) You are awesome :hug: I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 02:39 AM, Timothy M. said:

:rofl: that was hilarious. Poor George, he must be so fed up with Frank pulling this stunt every week.

Thanks, Tim. I'm sure George would like nothing more than for his neurotic friend to calm down. lol Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 03:09 AM, Defiance19 said:

Lol.... That was so much fun.. How does Frank not go belly up from the stress..

Awesome Val..

lol I have no idea. I'd be ready to strangle poor Frank. lol Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 04:11 AM, Puppilull said:

Oh, Frank... What a way to live! I got a sort of Memento vibe about his struggle. Maybe he needs to get a tattoo or something across his body "Nets come once a week. Don't worry, they won't hurt you..."

LOL "Nets are our friends" :gikkle: Too bad he doesn't listen to George. Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 05:02 AM, dughlas said:

I've heard some pretty good fish stories but yours adds a whole new twist ... very funny.

:gikkle: Thanks for reading, dugh. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 12:15 PM, LadyDe said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl::gikkle: So Frank is Dory's little brother? Can't remember from one week to the next! I'll never, ever be able to look at a fish tank the same. Thanks so much. :thankyou:

It's funny, but I didn't even think of Dory until after I finished the story, then went "oh crap... I just wrote Dory!" :facepalm: Oh well... I had a lot of fun writing this. Thanks for the review! :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 02:03 PM, Parker Owens said:

Oh the lives of captive fish! Beautifully told!

Thanks, Parker :):hug:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 02:14 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Wow rough prompt imo! You did a great job with it.. Funny stuff.. well done!

Thanks, tim. :) It took me a while to think of something, then on the drive to work one day I thought "FISH!" LOL Glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 02:59 PM, Lisa said:

Ah, poor Frank, going through that stress every week! And his buddy George having to listen to him freak out every week. lol

 

Great tale, Val! :)

Thanks, Lisa. I bet poor George is about ready give up on Frank. lol I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 03:26 PM, Headstall said:

Hehe. Thanks for the laughter, Val. I have a huge Aquarium, and I shake my head at how scared the fish act every time I clean their tank. I think I have a couple of Franks in there. Great job! Cheers... Gary....

lol Now you need to name a couple of your fish "Frank" and "George". lol I'm glad you could relate to the story. Thanks for the review! :hug:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2017 10:57 PM, Ruslana di Angelo said:

It's really an adorable take adorable take on that odd prompt. :glomp:

Frank seriously needs therapy. Or may be a sign post that says "Keep Calm and Love Cleaning Day." :rofl:

We should request Pixar to have Frank and George in their next movie!

:thankyou::wub:

lol Yeah, the human needs to add that sign to the tank, I think. Maybe in between the tollbooth and kelp. Yes, Frank and Dory... could you imagine? "Who are you?" "I'm Frank, who are you?" every single day... lol Thanks for the review. :)

Link to comment

Whoever chose the sea / ocean as their suggested location, made a good choice. :) Plenty of scope - which was just as well, given the rest of your prompt. :unsure:

 


This was such fun, it really made me grin. Excellently done. :yes:

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..