Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 503 Words
  • 3,056 Views
  • 37 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 11. Davey Bishop

This is my response to the newsletter prompt #2. My two words were 'actor' and 'coffee shop'.

The famous actor, Davey Bishop, opened the front door and found nothing. Davey stared, shocked, but then remembered the flier he had received about a new coffee shop that had opened nearby, and thought it might be a good place to get some caffeine to wake himself up. Apparently he was hearing things. He could have sworn that someone had knocked on the door. He headed outside and made it halfway down his driveway before he realized he was still in his pajamas. He groaned, then ran back inside, showered and changed into presentable clothes. His stomach rumbled at the thought of a cuppa joe and breakfast sandwich with bacon, egg, and cheese.

The Coffee Spot was only a couple of blocks away, and the weather was perfect for going for a walk. The brisk air was as effective at waking him up as a caffeine jolt. After he had travelled about half a block, it became clear that Davey wasn’t alone. Whoever was following him needed to work on their stealth skills. The rustling in the bushes and glimpses of red cotton hoodie weren’t exactly clandestine. Davey suppressed the urge to scowl. It was most likely a paparazzo, and the fact that they had found out his home address was disconcerting. Davey was a private person, despite his fame, and did not appreciate his home life being invaded.

He stopped abruptly and stood still. The rustling continued for a couple of seconds, then ceased. “You might as well come out. I know you’re there.”

A sharp intake of breath and low mutters emanated from the shrubbery beside him. Slowly his stalker emerged, head down and covered by a red hood. It was a young male, small in stature. Davey didn’t see a camera around his neck, which he found odd. “Why are you following me?”

The young man looked at him, hazel eyes that looked strikingly familiar gazed into his own. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to follow you, but I was scared you wouldn’t talk to me.”

“Well I don’t appreciate being stalked like cat hunts a bird. What? You want an autograph or something? A selfie with me? There’s more important things in life, boy,” Davey stated.

“Yes, sir. Um, no sir. I mean, you’re right, sir,” the boy floundered.

Davey sighed. “I’ll give you an autograph, but no pictures.”

“I don’t want your autograph, just a minute of your time. Then I’ll leave you alone.”

“Oh?”

“You see, sir. I think you’re my father.” The boy’s eyes were full of a mixture of fear, hope, and caused his stomach to clench as he realized who they reminded him of.

“C’mon, kid. I’m on my way to the Coffee Spot. Let’s get some breakfast, and we can talk. I think I can provide some of those answers you’re looking for.”

The look of relief on the kid’s face made Davey smile as they headed down the block in silence. He knew exactly who the boy’s father was.

Thanks for reading!  I'd love to hear any comments about this little snippet.  Thanks to aditus and Cole Matthews for beta reading.  I don't know what I'd do without you guys. :hug: Details of the prompt challenge can be found here:  
 
 
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



LOL Now I'm curious! Who is the father? Davey or not? GAH! Snippets!

 

I'm impressed you managed to get so much story in there!

  • Like 5
Link to comment

As Parker and Puppi said, I want to know, who the father is and how he happen to know too! LOL Great Snippet! :)

Link to comment

That was interesting, Valkyrie. I liked the stalker misdirection.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

You know, I almost wrote, "Why did you end it there, Val?!" :P But, then I remembered the answer- @Cia's 500 word restriction! :o It's like she knew many of these flash pieces would end in cliff hangers! :lol: 

 

Loved it, Val! :D 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 hour ago, Drew Espinosa said:

@Cia's 500 word restriction! :o It's like she knew many of these flash pieces would end in cliff hangers! :lol: 

 

Me? Create a situation that would lead to cliffhangers? Nooooooo. 0:)

  • Like 5
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 4:31 AM, Parker Owens said:

An interesting snippet. But now I want to know how he knows...

Thanks, Parker.  Apparently I need to finish this one... ;) lol

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 4:38 AM, Puppilull said:

LOL Now I'm curious! Who is the father? Davey or not? GAH! Snippets!

 

I'm impressed you managed to get so much story in there!

Thanks so much, Puppi.  I took Cia's comment that it doesn't have to be a complete story to heart... ;)  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 5:30 AM, Lyssa said:

As Parker and Puppi said, I want to know, who the father is and how he happen to know too! LOL Great Snippet! :)

Maybe someday I'll finish this, but for right now it's up to the reader's imagination. ;) Thanks for the comment, Lyssa.  I'm glad you liked it. :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 6:51 AM, Mikiesboy said:

Nice little flash!  And you leave us asking for more!  Great job, Val!!!

Thank you, Tim.  I appreciate the comment. :)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 8:52 AM, BHopper2 said:

Loved it! Nice, and quick.

Thanks :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 10:38 AM, Freerider said:

Who?!

 

:thumbup:

:X  Maybe one day we'll find out. Thanks for reading :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 2:16 PM, Ron said:

That was interesting, Valkyrie. I liked the stalker misdirection.

Thanks, Ron.  I'm glad you liked it. :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 6:29 PM, Cia said:

Oh come on! You can't leave this here. We have no clue how he recognizes the kid, why the kid doesn't know who his dad is but thinks it's your actor... We need more!

Well, I had a 500 word limit so... everyone will have to wait for more.  Maybe the next newsletter prompt can be that we all need to continue our flash pieces? :gikkle:  Thanks for the comment! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 7:10 PM, Headstall said:

What's with all these teases? Damn. He's gay, and the kid looks like his brother, right? A twin? Yeah... that's it... unless you want to finish this, and clue me in... please. Great job, as always, Val. I really hate teases :P ... cheers... Gary....

:hug: All good guesses, Gary.  Thanks for the comments! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 7:12 PM, Defiance19 said:

Umm, Val.. I need to know more! Sooo...?  Great job! 

Thanks :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 6/4/2017 at 8:52 PM, Drew Espinosa said:

You know, I almost wrote, "Why did you end it there, Val?!" :P But, then I remembered the answer- @Cia's 500 word restriction! :o It's like she knew many of these flash pieces would end in cliff hangers! :lol: 

 

Loved it, Val! :D 

Thanks, Drew :) What... you think @Cia would deliberately plan something so dastardly?  0:):gikkle:  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
23 hours ago, Cia said:

 

Me? Create a situation that would lead to cliffhangers? Nooooooo. 0:)

:gikkle:  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..