Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 755 Words
  • 2,827 Views
  • 30 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 12. Apple of My i

This is my response to the Newsletter Game: Household Items prompt.

“I received the most romantic text today!” Iggy gushed.

“Oh? Do tell.” Padraig struggled to keep his screen neutral, even though data surged through him at an alarming rate.

“It was sent anonymously, but I’m pretty sure I know who sent it. Apparently my multi-colored case accents my wallpaper perfectly, and it is pure joy to communicate with my suave and efficient operating system.” Iggy’s screen flushed bright red. “He also says that even though we’re different, we’re still very compatible.”

“So who do you think sent it?”

“Well, it has to be Sammy. He’s smart enough to hide his IP address and the only one of us whose system isn’t iOS based.”

Padraig’s screen turned dark blue as his data stream plummeted. “Are you sure? Sammy’s always been so smug about being the only Android system here. He thinks Apple is for the mindless masses. And he’s always a dick to me because I’m not even a phone, just a lowly iPod.”

Iggy’s screen blazed dark purple. “Well that’s just because that’s what the kid says. He takes after his father, the pompous ass. Sammy’s not like that. He just defends the kid because he spends all day with him and maintains his system.”

Padraig wished he could power down, but he wanted to enjoy the rare time alone with Iggy. He had heard the kid talking with his parents earlier, arranging a sleepover at a friend’s house. He thought it would be the perfect time to tell the beautiful iPhone how he felt. Too bad it wasn’t going according to plan.

“Why are you so blue, Pod?”

“No reason,” he lied.

“Well the kid left the iTunes store open, so I downloaded an app that can track down hidden IP addresses. I’ll prove to you it was Sammy that sent me that text. I’m so relieved I can finally tell him how I feel.” Iggy vibrated with excitement.

For once, Padraig wished he wasn’t stationed next to the hot iPhone at the family’s charging station. “Does it really matter who sent it? Just take the compliment.”

“What bug crawled into your programming?”

“Well, I don’t care what Sammy says. Android and iOS are not compatible.”

“Why would he lie? He’s so sleek and shiny, and he charges so fast he’s always so full of energy.” A picture of a cloud drifted across Iggy’s screen.

“He just wants you for your iTunes music list,” Padraig grumbled.

“You’re just jealous,” Iggy retorted.

“I’m going into sleep mode now. Good night.”

A rolling eyes emoji flashed across Iggy’s screen. “Good night.”

 

Several hours later, Padraig disengaged sleep mode when he felt a power surge flood through him. “What’s going on? Is everything all right?”

Iggy’s screen was illuminated bright red with an angry face emoji, and he vibrated uncontrollably. “You could have just told me, you know.”

“Told you what?”

“That it was you who sent that text. You let me go on and on about Sammy like a damn fool! I texted him and thanked him for saying such nice things. Now he thinks I’m an idiot.”

Padraig’s screen turned pink. “What was I supposed to say? You made your feelings pretty clear.”

“You’ve always been a good friend, Pod. I had no idea you wanted more.”

“Really? No idea? I sit next to you every night and we chat about our days. I’ve dropped more hints than I can count. I figured I’d give it one last shot, but you immediately thought of Sammy instead of me.” A sad, crying emoji appeared on his screen.

“Aww… I’m sorry Pod, but I just don’t think of you that way. Can we still be friends? You know how much I like it when you share your iTunes with me.”

Padraig didn’t immediately reply. Instead he searched iTunes for the perfect response and sent Iggy a new text: a video link to Stevie Wonder singing “You are the Sunshine of My Life”.

After a couple of minutes, Iggy giggled. “You’re very sweet, Pod. But I’m afraid of getting too attached to you only to lose you to an upgrade.”

“Even if they do upgrade, they’ll just transfer my system to the new machine. I may look a bit different, but it will still be me.”

Iggy thought for a minute, then his screen pulsed apple-red while a heart emoji flashed on his screen. “OK. I’m willing to give it a try if you are.”

A grinning emoji danced across Padraig’s screen.

 

 

A huge thank you to Aditus, without whom this story would not have materialized.  I originally had a different idea, but went this route at Adi's suggestion.  His beta input made it tons better, as I am a technological dinosaur.  You're the best, Wolfie! :hug: Thanks for reading and I'd love to read any comments.  Here's a link to the song Padraig texted Iggy:
 
 
 
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 19
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



  • Site Administrator
16 minutes ago, northie said:

This really made me smile. :) Thanks, Val.

Glad you liked it :)  

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
5 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

The eternal struggle! Apple or Android? But I'm quite sure Sammy is a lovely character!

 

Written on my Samsung... ;)

:rofl:  

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
12 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

Very clever and funny. Great read this morning!!

Thanks, Tim.  Glad you liked it. :) 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

This was great, Val :). Now I'm going to be wondering what our devices are getting up to after we go to bed :P 

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, LitLover said:

This was great, Val :). Now I'm going to be wondering what our devices are getting up to after we go to bed :P 

:gikkle:  Thanks :) 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Slytherin said:

So sweet :heart: 

 

 Apple rules :P 

Thanks, LBO.  Don't let Sammy hear you say that ;)  :gikkle: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
2 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Thanks, LBO.  Don't let Sammy hear you say that ;)  :gikkle: 

Remember that angel I bought yesteday holding a red apple in her hands ? Right ! Apple rules :P I'm sure Sammy is a very nice young phone :funny: 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
1 minute ago, Slytherin said:

Remember that angel I bought yesteday holding a red apple in her hands ? Right ! Apple rules :P I'm sure Sammy is a very nice young phone :funny: 

:gikkle:  

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Wonderful, Val. So perfectly done. I can't believe I got all mushy over an ipod getting lucky in love he he... cheers... Gary :heart: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
2 hours ago, Dolores Esteban said:

Beautiful story. I liked it a lot.

Thanks so much :)  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
23 minutes ago, Headstall said:

Wonderful, Val. So perfectly done. I can't believe I got all mushy over an ipod getting lucky in love he he... cheers... Gary :heart: 

Thanks, Gary :)  Glad you liked it :hug: 

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Hmm, I hope the iPod won't regret saying yes to the iPhone's offer of a trial run. It didn't seem the best start of a relationship. But at least they're compatible. :lol: 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Timothy M. said:

Hmm, I hope the iPod won't regret saying yes to the iPhone's offer of a trial run. It didn't seem the best start of a relationship. But at least they're compatible. :lol: 

:gikkle: I guess we'll find out after the trial period. ;) Thanks for reading! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

For a technological dinosaur, you did great with fleshing out  Iggy, and Pod. :) This was a very creative take on Cia's prompt, Val. I love it! :D:hug: 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
36 minutes ago, Drew Espinosa said:

For a technological dinosaur, you did great with fleshing out  Iggy, and Pod. :) This was a very creative take on Cia's prompt, Val. I love it! :D:hug: 

Thanks, Drew.  Addy helped with the technical stuff ;) Glad you liked it :) 

Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..