Jump to content
    Valkyrie
    • Signature Author
  • 1,467 Words
  • 2,061 Views
  • 24 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Promptings from Valhalla - 2. Prompt 476

First line: Quick, call an ambulance!

“Quick, call an ambulance!”

The voice sounded far away and tinny – like I was listening through a soup can. Which wasn’t too far off the mark, I suppose, considering the helmet I was wearing.

Hot breath blew on my face in steady puffs. I wrinkled my nose. It smelled like hay and apples. I heard the dull thud of hooves walking away from me, then a concerned voice.

“Can you hear me, Soren?”

I blinked and did a mental check of my extremities. I wasn’t in any pain – I just felt a lot of pressure on my right shoulder. I must have fallen on something. “Yeah, I can hear you. I’m ok.” I tried to sit up, but a pair of strong hands refused to let me.

“Stay still. Help is on the way.”

“I’m ok. Really. Just let me up,” I said. The only bruises I felt were to my ego. I was sure that would change. Falling off a horse in full metal armor was going to hurt at some point.

“No! You can’t get up yet! You might make it worse!”

“Is that you, Doug?” I was having a hard time hearing through my helmet. I wondered what he was talking about. Make what worse? I wasn’t feeling any pain. I raised my arms to remove my helmet and the pressure on my shoulder increased to the point where I knew something was very wrong. What the hell happened?

“Soren, you need to stay still. Yeah, it’s me. What the hell were you thinking?”

“Take my helmet off. I can barely understand you.”

“The paramedics are almost here. I can hear the sirens. We can’t do anything without them checking you out first.”

I groaned. Great. Maybe I had dislocated my shoulder when I fell. I was thankful for the lack of pain, although I was sure that was going to change at some point.

“Over here!” Doug yelled.

The wailing of the ambulance siren had ceased, and I felt the vibrations of footsteps as the paramedics presumably rushed towards me.

“Holy shit!” said a voice I didn’t recognize. I assumed it was one of the paramedics. My heart started pounding and my breathing rate increased. Those were words I never wanted to hear uttered by medical personnel. Especially when they were talking about me.

“How the hell are we supposed to transport him with that thing sticking out of him?” a different voice said.

With what thing sticking out of me? “Doug? What’s going on? What happened to me?” I tried to keep the panic out of my voice, but I doubt I succeeded. “Get this damn helmet off of me!”

I felt hands probing my extremities and fingers pressed on my right wrist, taking my pulse. Pressure I recognized as a blood pressure cuff expanded around my left arm, then eased. The fingers then took my pulse on my left wrist.

“Left pulse is 120. Right is 90. BP 180/90. Sir, are you in any pain?”

“No. I feel fine. Can you take my damn helmet off and tell me what the hell is going on?”

“Do you have any pain in your neck?”

“I just told you I feel fine! My shoulder feels funny, but it doesn’t hurt.”

“I bet it does.”

What the hell did that mean? I was afraid to find out. The paramedics finally removed my helmet after making me move my fingers and toes, and my left arm and legs. Why were they avoiding my right arm?

“Don’t move. We’re going to put a neck brace on you as a precaution. They can take x-rays at the hospital to rule out a spinal injury. You need to keep still, though. Any movement may cause more damage to your shoulder.”

With my helmet off, I could finally see what was causing the pressure on my right shoulder. The lance I had been carrying when I fell off the horse had splintered in two. Half of it was sticking straight out of my shoulder and was being held upright by one of the pages.

“What the—“ I said, before the world started spinning and I passed out.

 

The steady beeping was almost hypnotizing, but since it wasn’t a sound I was used to, I figured I should probably wake up. I felt a weight resting on my right leg, triggering memories of what had happened and where I was.

I opened my eyes, half expecting to see the broken lance still sticking out of my shoulder. Thankfully there was a bandage there instead. The pressure on my leg shifted, and I looked down to see Doug asleep in a chair, using my leg as a pillow.

A nurse walked into the room and smiled. “Good to see you awake. You’ve been quite the topic of conversation around here.”

I grimaced. “I bet.”

“You have quite the devoted boyfriend there,” she said, gesturing towards Doug. “He hasn’t left your side since you got out of surgery.” She checked the numbers on the beeping machine and wrote them down.

I felt my face heat up. I was sure I was bright red. “Um…he’s not my boyfriend,” I muttered. I desperately wished that he was, but he was straight. He dated Rebecca for two years before they broke up about a month ago.

“Oh, well he’s sure crazy about you,” she said. “He was worried sick the whole time you were in surgery. I’ll let the doctor know you’re awake.” She walked out of the room, quietly closing the door.

Doug raised his head and blinked before sitting up and stretching his arms. “Hey, you’re awake!”

I nodded. “Yeah, I just woke up.”

“How do you feel?”

“Sleepy, still. My shoulder is sore, but it doesn’t really hurt.”

“They’ve got you on a ton of painkillers.”

“I’m not surprised.”

Doug frowned. “What the hell were you thinking? You could have been killed! You don’t even know how to ride, let alone handle a lance! You aren’t built for jousting, Soren. I can’t believe you even tried it!”

I raised an eyebrow. Not built for jousting? What a diplomatic way of calling me a shrimp. “I’ve been working out, and I started taking riding lessons. I thought I could do it.”

“Why didn’t you ask me to teach you? I would have been more than happy to.”

I shrugged, wincing at the spike of pain it caused. “I wanted to surprise you.”

He snorted. “Well, consider me surprised.” He took my hand in his, running his thumb along the top of it. “I…” his voice hitched, “…couldn’t stand it if anything happened to you. When I saw you laying there with that lance sticking out of you…” he inhaled and looked into my eyes, “I was so scared that I had lost you before---“ A tear ran down his cheek.

I stared at his hand in mine. Doug was holding my hand. The man I had crushed on ever since joining the Ren Faire cast four years ago was not only holding my hand, but stroking it. I swallowed. “Before what?” I whispered.

He held his breath before releasing it in a slow, steady stream. “Before I could tell you how I feel about you.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Huh?” Was my eloquent response.

“Soren, you have no idea how adorable you are. You’re the nicest guy I’ve ever met. I look forward to jousting season every year, just because you are going to be here. I’ve had offers from other, larger Faires, but I stay here because of you.”

I stared at him. Doug, the most popular jouster at the Faire, had a crush on me?

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable. I’ll go now.” He gave my hand one last squeeze before rising.

“Wait!” I shouted. He turned to look at me. “Please don’t go.”

He smiled and sat in the chair next to my bed.

“I’ve been crushing on you since the moment we met,” I admitted. “But you dated Rebecca for so long…I thought you were straight.”

“Rebecca was a mistake.” He looked at me hopefully. “So you feel the same way I do?”

I nodded. “I tried jousting because I wanted you to notice me. For once, I wanted to be the knight in shining armor.” I smiled ruefully. “In case you hadn’t noticed, I’m not the most manly man.”

“You didn’t have to impale yourself to get me to notice you. I’ve noticed you for a long time. I didn’t think you noticed me. And for the record, I’m bi.”

I smiled. “I can live with that.”

He took my hand in his again. “Good. Just promise me you’ll never try jousting again.”

I laughed. “Deal.”

Thanks for reading! Please leave a review and let me know how you liked it :)
Copyright © 2018 Valkyrie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 21
  • Love 2
  • Haha 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

OK first of all.. OUCH!! That must have hurt when the shock wore off :o Second of all... jousting? Modern day knights in armour? Oh my! :wub:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 04:46 AM, aditus said:

Jousting? I don't know how you got this idea, lol. Very nice! Love it! :wub:

Thanks, Addy :) I started it a couple of weeks ago and finally got around to finishing it. lol When I read the ambulance prompt, I thought about a story I saw on tv about a knight who was impaled on his own sword. That made me think of jousting, and then led to my prompt idea. lol I'm glad you liked it :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 04:51 AM, LitLover said:

OK first of all.. OUCH!! That must have hurt when the shock wore off :o Second of all... jousting? Modern day knights in armour? Oh my! :wub:

Who doesn't want a knight in shining armor? :wub: Thanks for the review. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 05:00 AM, Cole Matthews said:

What a sweet story and me thinks there is enough back story for more episodes!!! I'm just saying...

You never know where the prompts will take me... ;) I like these guys, so who knows? Maybe we'll we see them again at some point. Thanks for the review, Cole. I'm glad you liked it :)

Link to comment

That's some measure to take to be noticed... Jousting! Seems to have rattled their world enough to let the truth come out.

 

BTW, my brother is called Sören. He doesn't joust either...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 05:54 AM, Puppilull said:

That's some measure to take to be noticed... Jousting! Seems to have rattled their world enough to let the truth come out.

 

BTW, my brother is called Sören. He doesn't joust either...

I love the name Soren :) I don't know how to do the little dots over the 'o'. lol Thanks for the review :)

Link to comment

Thoroughly enjoyable little 'tale'... jousting? Whatever works, I say. I loved it... cheers... Gary...

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 06:58 AM, Headstall said:

Thoroughly enjoyable little 'tale'... jousting? Whatever works, I say. I loved it... cheers... Gary...

Thanks for the review, Gary. I'm glad you liked it :)

Link to comment

Loved this prompt ! So sweet with the Knight in shiny armour :wub: Sören, huh ? :P Gret story, Penguin

 

I doubt paramedics shout "holy shit" when they get to their patients though -_-:unsure::funny:

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 09:42 AM, Slytherin said:

Loved this prompt ! So sweet with the Knight in shiny armour :wub: Sören, huh ? :P Gret story, Penguin

 

I doubt paramedics shout "holy shit" when they get to their patients though -_-:unsure::funny:

They do when they see a giant lance sticking out of someone's shoulder... :gikkle: even if it is unprofessional of them. ;) I thought about naming him "Sven", but I like "Soren" better ;) lol Thanks for the review, LBO. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment

Loved the reaction to the lance by the paramedics, I think it's very possible they'd react that way...lances through shoulders is not common place.
The story was sweet and I'm glad these two found each other in the end.
Well written, imaginative prompt response!

 

tim

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 04:54 PM, Mikiesboy said:

Loved the reaction to the lance by the paramedics, I think it's very possible they'd react that way...lances through shoulders is not common place.

The story was sweet and I'm glad these two found each other in the end.

Well written, imaginative prompt response!

 

tim

Thanks, Tim. I think most people would have that reaction to seeing someone impaled on a lance. I appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. I'm glad you liked it!

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/04/2016 11:08 PM, Dabeagle said:

That is certainly an interesting way to get impaled in this century!

The jousting is one of my favorite things to watch at Ren Faires. I've never seen anyone impaled though, thank goodness! Thanks for reading and leaving a review :)

Link to comment

That was great fun... Well, not for Soren, poor guy. But it all worked out well in the end.
Very nice Val..

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 03/06/2016 11:18 AM, Defiance19 said:

That was great fun... Well, not for Soren, poor guy. But it all worked out well in the end.

Very nice Val..

Thanks, Defiance :) I'm glad you liked it. :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/10/2016 06:48 PM, Arazon said:

I liked Doug's remark at that soren didn't have to impale himself for him to notice him! An enjoyable read

Thanks :) I'm glad you liked it :)

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
21 minutes ago, LilDaddy98 said:

This is a great read. Wasn't what I expected and it turned out awesome.

Thanks so much :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
44 minutes ago, Sherye said:

Well, 'Jousting' got his man! Love is GRAND!

Where there's a will, there's a way lol

  • Love 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..